Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Old 07-31-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Maybe when she was with Billy Bob, but not recently. She's adopted kids, had a few of her own and donates millions to charity every year. Not exactly baggage these days. She's a huge draw for men and women.

Or look at it another way, Nolan sucks at casting women. He's 0 for 2 in the Batman franchise alone. Maybe it's time to cast someone a bit more well known.
She's still a tabloid circus... and though she's also a draw to some, she's also huge repellent for others. I don't think you can cast someone as polarizing as Angelina in a role like that. I'm not against casting a star, though I'd prefer to stay away from any overbearing personality that eclipses any of these villain roles. Heath disappeared into the Joker. If you adhere to the Catwoman as cat-burglar angle, she's got to be cryptic and fear the spotlight... and keep perfect time to Swingin' On a Star.
Old 07-31-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Too obvious of a choice, plus she's never really blown me away with anything she's done. If Nolan cast Jolie it would be a mistake. She brings too much paparrazzi drama with her. She's more famous for her personal life than her acting. Nolan will pick someone out of left field if Catwoman even factors into the 3rd film.
Old 07-31-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Her -->
Old 07-31-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts
I wonder if Sean Young going tried again to get the Catwoman part.
Old 07-31-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could see her as Catwoman. But i wanna hear Nolan's doing a third one before more casting news is rumored/announced.

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I pitching a tent as I type..
Old 07-31-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpatri
She's still a tabloid circus... and though she's also a draw to some, she's also huge repellent for others. I don't think you can cast someone as polarizing as Angelina in a role like that. I'm not against casting a star, though I'd prefer to stay away from any overbearing personality that eclipses any of these villain roles. Heath disappeared into the Joker. If you adhere to the Catwoman as cat-burglar angle, she's got to be cryptic and fear the spotlight... and keep perfect time to Swingin' On a Star.
I'm going to have to say that she draws far more people in than repels. No one here who loved BB or TDK would pass on a third film if she was in it. NO ONE. You will be seeing it regardless of who is cast.
Old 07-31-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by dom56
I wonder if Sean Young going tried again to get the Catwoman part.

Isn't she locked up in some padded room somewhere writing her name over and over on the walls in her own shit?

Spoiler:
I'm not making fun of the mentally ill. I've been a huge fan of Sean's since Blade Runner and hearing about her "issues" really made me sad.
Old 07-31-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
funny, people actually believe this load of crap...
Yeah, as I said in my earlier post, I'm not buying this until I get some real proof.

But then again, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. She was awesome in Wanted, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and other films.
Old 07-31-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
THIS ROLE SHOULD ONLY GO TO HELEN MIRREN!!!!
Old 07-31-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like Jolie and felt she was perfect for Catwoman a few years back. Not too sure anymore. She could certainly do it, but she seems to have lost much of her youth since having all those kids.
Old 07-31-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rizor
I like Jolie and felt she was perfect for Catwoman a few years back. Not too sure anymore. She could certainly do it, but she seems to have lost much of her youth since having all those kids.
Lost it where?
Old 07-31-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to have to say that she draws far more people in than repels. No one here who loved BB or TDK would pass on a third film if she was in it. NO ONE. You will be seeing it regardless of who is cast.
My wife loved Dark Knight and she wouldn't go see it with Jolie in it. That's one person. She takes those kinds of personal stands seriously. But I'm weak so I'd be there. I just think if such a thing were to actually happen it would give the impression that the series has taken a turn. It wouldn't seem consistent with the choices made so far... like someone else was pulling the strings. And that would be unsettling is all I'm saying.
Old 07-31-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
At least she's worked with Morgan Freeman before. I'd actually prefer her as Harley Quinn or Poison Ivy than the Catwoman. But she's too big a star IMO.
Old 07-31-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Naomi Watts can be Harley Quinn, Gillian Anderson can be Poison Ivy, Audrey Tautou or Mila Kunis can be Catwoman, Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron, and Padma Lakshmi can be the Birds of Prey

Or you know, they could all just dress up and take photos. Maybe massages.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-31-08 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 02:10 PM

I, for one, hope to never see Harley Quinn in the Nolan movies. Even tho the character works in the animated series, it'd be the beginning of the end for the BB/TDK universe.
Old 07-31-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Her -->
One problem with her. The French accent would make it hard to believe that no one could figure out Selina Kyle and Catwoman are the same woman.
Old 07-31-08, 02:53 PM

that would be great, especially seeing her in the costume ~
Old 07-31-08, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also can't agree with tabloid baggage. Maybe when she was with Billy Bob, but not recently. She's adopted kids, had a few of her own and donates millions to charity every year. Not exactly baggage these days. She's a huge draw for men and women.
Have you been to a supermarket lately? She's on the cover of practically every tabloid. She's FAR more famous now than she was in the Billy Bob days.

While I think she's attractive and a decent actress, I agree with the above comment that she is too obvious of a choice. I would rather see more unexpected casting decisions like we have seen in the first two films.
Old 07-31-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
More of the same fan-boy inspired, internet bull shit that always turns up once sequel news starts.

Go back a couple of years and see who was "in negotiations" to play the Joker, then you can judge just how much credibility stories like this usually have.
Old 07-31-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm still sticking with my pick for Eliza Dushku for Catwoman, but I doubt she'd get it.

Also, the more I keep thinking about it, I really think Tilda Swinton would make a perfectly deranged Harley Quinn to follow up Heath's performance, if they should choose that route. Harley in the Nolan Bat-verse would likely be a random psycho who either escaped from Arkham, or was inspired by the Joker, much like Joker felt free to become his real self after seeing Batman. She'd idol-worship the idea of Joker and probably seek out revenge against the man who put away her Mr. J whom she crazily loves and who has never even met.
Old 07-31-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, enough about Catwoman for now. We've seen that character a few times, so I want to see Harley Quinn in the next flick. I'd give just about anything to see Rachel McAdams in the role.
Old 07-31-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to think Angelina Jolie was so hot, but seeing her gave the same lame-ass, slinky performance in every movie has made her boring (Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider 2, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Alexander, Beowulf, Wanted), she would make it stale.

And besides, nobody could top Michelle Pfeiffer.
Old 08-01-08, 01:55 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker has set the bar high for Gotham City villains, but reports in the US say studio bosses have set their sights on Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin.

"Producers are convinced that the role of The Riddler is perfect for Depp. Johnny's a pro. He'll be able to take direction and still make the character his own. And what better Penguin is there than Philip Seymour Hoffman?" a source said.

They could be joining Angelina Jolie - the actress is reported to be after the role of Catwoman.

The Riddler was played by Jim Carrey in 1995 film Batman Forever and Frank Gorshin in the Sixties television series. As for The Penguin, he was portrayed on the small screen by Burgess Meredith and in 1992 film Batman returns by Danny DeVito.

Plans for the sequel are yet to be announced but it is likely to star Christian Bale reprising his role as The Caped Crusader.

The Dark Knight has smashed box office records in the US, taking $314 million in just 10 days.

There is even talk of it challenging Titanic to become the biggest movie of all time. Titanic took $600 million in the US. The Dark Knight certainly looks set to reach second place in the all-time chart and beat Star Wars, which made $460 million.
Old 08-01-08, 02:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
[....](and we have virtually two identical threads going).-Doc
Not any more.
Old 08-01-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by redrum
Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker has set the bar high for Gotham City villains, but reports in the US say studio bosses have set their sights on Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin.

"Producers are convinced that the role of The Riddler is perfect for Depp. Johnny's a pro. He'll be able to take direction and still make the character his own. And what better Penguin is there than Philip Seymour Hoffman?" a source said.

They could be joining Angelina Jolie - the actress is reported to be after the role of Catwoman.

The Riddler was played by Jim Carrey in 1995 film Batman Forever and Frank Gorshin in the Sixties television series. As for The Penguin, he was portrayed on the small screen by Burgess Meredith and in 1992 film Batman returns by Danny DeVito.

Plans for the sequel are yet to be announced but it is likely to star Christian Bale reprising his role as The Caped Crusader.

The Dark Knight has smashed box office records in the US, taking $314 million in just 10 days.

There is even talk of it challenging Titanic to become the biggest movie of all time. Titanic took $600 million in the US. The Dark Knight certainly looks set to reach second place in the all-time chart and beat Star Wars, which made $460 million.
What's the source on this? And WHAT PRODUCERS are they talking about?! Nolan hasn't said word one about this. Why must the money guys always dick around in the creative department?!?

I know you have to take these early reports with a grain of salt, but if these "producers" have any hope of Nolan returning for a third, those chances are probably going to start diminishing really quickly every time they start swinging dicks about villains they're "in talks with" for the next one.

-Doc

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.