Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman Begins 3 - Villain?

Old 07-23-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
I like the idea of The Riddler and making him a sick, twisted, serial killer.
So.. Tobin Bell?
Old 07-23-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
So.. Tobin Bell?

No.. Kevin Spacey
Old 07-23-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the idea of The Riddler and making him a sick, twisted, serial killer.

Why not just make Catwoman a gun-toating sociopath mercenary?

Am I the only one even remotely concerned about staying true to the characters?

-Doc
Old 07-23-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can take characters in new directions and still stay true to them.

I think Nolan has been doing that so far.
Old 07-23-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure, new directions are fine as long as it sticks to the spirit of the character. The Riddler is not a twisted serial killer. He's a raging narcissist obsessed with proving his intellectual superiority to everyone, especially Batman. He'll kill, but he's not going to do it ritualistically or fetishistically.

-Doc
Old 07-23-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sure. But not Bane.
Old 07-23-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Why not just make Catwoman a gun-toating sociopath mercenary?

Am I the only one even remotely concerned about staying true to the characters?

-Doc
No Doc, I very much agree with you.
Old 07-23-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You really see them bringing Superman into the Nolan Bat-verse?
-Doc
Why not? Marvel has now integrated the Marvel Universe into different pictures to create continuity. The films now acknowledge the existence of these other characters. And they're doing it without being under the same distribution company.

Warner Bros should be able to do this seemlessly. TDKR and Batman Beyond are far off movies anyway as they happen towards the end of Bruce Wayne's Batman career.
Old 07-23-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
No Doc, I very much agree with you.

Glad someone does, although it's a new experience for me

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Why not? Marvel has now integrated the Marvel Universe into different pictures to create continuity. The films now acknowledge the existence of these other characters. And they're doing it without being under the same distribution company.

Warner Bros should be able to do this seemlessly. TDKR and Batman Beyond are far off movies anyway as they happen towards the end of Bruce Wayne's Batman career.

In a Justice League movie, maybe. Supes showing up in a Nolan Batverse movie would be akin to a Smurf showing up in the Departed.

As for the possible future scenarios, The Dark Knight Returns is an "elseworlds" type story and Batman Beyond isn't even remotely cannon to the comics (plus they are mutually exclusive).

Dark Knight Returns could kinda work as a closing Chapter (again though, it's a little more fantastical than the world set up in these movies) and I hope to Jeebus they never do a Batman Beyond movie. It was a good show that works as a cartoon, but good christ would the movie suck (especially if it was supposed to be in the same universe as these films).

-Doc
Old 07-23-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In a Justice League movie, maybe. Supes showing up in a Nolan Batverse movie would be akin to a Smurf showing up in the Departed.

As for the possible future scenarios, The Dark Knight Returns is an "elseworlds" type story and Batman Beyond isn't even remotely cannon to the comics (plus they are mutually exclusive).

Dark Knight Returns could kinda work as a closing Chapter (again though, it's a little more fantastical than the world set up in these movies) and I hope to Jeebus they never do a Batman Beyond movie. It was a good show that works as a cartoon, but good christ would the movie suck (especially if it was supposed to be in the same universe as these films).

-Doc
While I do not feel as though Superman showing up in the Nolan universe would necessarily be a good thing, I would not be opposed to a mention of him, Metropolis, or Clark Kent.

Perhaps Alfred informs him as to a phone call/message from Clark, or Wayne happens to read an article written by Clark. I'm not entirely certain as to how it would best be incorporated into the film, but a small aside (fanboy nod, I suppose) would be a nice touch.
Old 07-23-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting article up at IGN discussing possible scenarios

http://movies.ign.com/articles/892/892656p1.html
Old 07-23-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Found this on IMDb with the headline "Eckhart Agrees To Third Batman Film":

Aaron Eckhart would reprise his role from The Dark Knight - because working with Christian Bale is "phenomenal".

Eckhart, who plays District Attorney Harvey Dent in the sequel, confesses he "absolutely" would star in a third Batman film.

He tells WENN, "To work with Christian (Bale) all over again, and the cast, would be phenomenal. I think this movie is a movie of a lifetime."

Of course, he might be saying it to

Spoiler:
preserve the ending where Two-Face dies. But you never know, maybe the Nolan Brothers have something up their sleeve for BB3...

Last edited by TheMovieman; 07-23-08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the article I posted, it mentions the producer Emma Thomas says the ending is ambiguous enough to suggest Two-Face is still alive.

Last edited by Matthew Ackerly; 07-23-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

-Doc
I mentioned this before, but that's one of the things I hate about the current Batman universe. While it's great that the films are realistic and down to earth, it also robs the world of a lot of charm from the comic books where guys like Superman or other fanciful aliens or freaks should exist.
Old 07-23-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Imagine how kick ass Nolan would make Superman though. I could see his ego attitude from JLU to the max here.

I like what IGN says about using the Riddler. Cops bring him in a consultant to track Batman. Their battle of wits in the recent comics by Dini have been a good story.
Old 07-23-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
While I do not feel as though Superman showing up in the Nolan universe would necessarily be a good thing, I would not be opposed to a mention of him, Metropolis, or Clark Kent.

Perhaps Alfred informs him as to a phone call/message from Clark, or Wayne happens to read an article written by Clark. I'm not entirely certain as to how it would best be incorporated into the film, but a small aside (fanboy nod, I suppose) would be a nice touch.

I'm actually Totally Down for this. Slight acknowledgments to the rest of the DCU is fine, even badass. The problem is having them roll by Gotham would just seem out of place. It is even in the comics! Every once in a while you'll get a writer just desperate to throw in a Man-Bat story line (I'm looking at you, Morrison...) and it just looks stupid in the moder, more serious storylines.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I mentioned this before, but that's one of the things I hate about the current Batman universe. While it's great that the films are realistic and down to earth, it also robs the world of a lot of charm from the comic books where guys like Superman or other fanciful aliens or freaks should exist.

Again, though, Fumanstan, The new books tend to do this as well. While Supes or Lantern may drop by (much to Batman's chagrin) from time to time, very rarely will you ever see one of their fantastical villains there, much less a creature from outer space (they all touch down in Metropolis, heh).

It's one of those things... Batman can show up in the Justice League and fight the big other-worldy bads... but the reverse is not true and rings... well, false. I can totally understand your gripe, though, and it's a valid one. It all comes down to how you see the Batman universe and which time period/interprutation you subscribe to.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 07-23-08 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want very little connection to things that have ruined my batman experience through the years........ I even find it difficult to sit through burtons batman and batman returns now (SORRY!!!!)......I read some of these posts for their villain casting wishes and just cringe, not because of the actors, but because of the characters.......... IF I had my way there would be no robin, no penguin, no catwoman, no riddler, no Harley quinn. no poison ivy, (NO female villain on that matter), no batgirl, no Mr Freeze, No Seal, no U2 even though I like bono and the crew, no iceman or daniel ocean, no NEON. Not that Nolan would even consider some of the things I listed.........that guy has my full confidence. I wouldn't mind more two face (if they go that route.........small chance though.) And I know I may be in the minority but I wouldn't mind recasting joker but ofcourse would not want for both joker and two face again, since that would just be too much of a rehash of TDK. Heath did a fabulous job, BUT this whole country needs and enema and has to grow some balls. I hate to think that if there were initail plans were to have a few scenes with the joker in the next one are now scraped in honor of him. The story should go on regardless and I feel that a huge character in the batman world should not be ignored because of the actors untimely tragic death. I enjoy the whole mafia and organized crime aspect, so that can always play a part and would prefer a lesser known villan if they move forward..........a realistic one which I am sure they will do otherwise it would not fit into nolans world.

Last edited by andy434343; 07-23-08 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 02:06 PM
Banned by request

In regards to TDKR:

Honestly, let's wait for 20 years and have Nolan and Bale reteam for it when Bale really is older, then it will have the weight that the story is meant to have. Plus, if you wait long enough, you can get away with including Superman by adding in some line saying the times have changed, etc.
Old 07-23-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the article I posted, it mentions the producer Emma Thomas says the ending is ambiguous enough to suggest Two-Face is still alive.
That occurred to me as well ... they could have just held a memorial ceremony for Harvey as a way of providing closure for the citizens of Gotham, and to explain why Harvey is no longer around. For all we know, he's probably locked up in Arkham.
Old 07-23-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting article up at IGN discussing possible scenarios

http://movies.ign.com/articles/892/892656p1.html
I really like their proposed idea for using The Riddler in the third film.
Old 07-23-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just don't see how you can bring Dent/Two Face back without totally fucking over the end of DK. Batman taking the rap for Dent would be pointless if he's just gonna break out of Arkham in a few months.
Old 07-23-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I just don't see how you can bring Dent/Two Face back without totally fucking over the end of DK. Batman taking the rap for Dent would be pointless if he's just gonna break out of Arkham in a few months.

But what if that film picks up at least a year after these events, Batman's constantly having to do his work while avoiding the police/on the run... only to find out Dent's alive and Gordon knew about it? What if - now that Gotham has recovered from Joker's reign of terror (both physically and psychologically) - Two Face surfaces. The misdirect is revealed and Gotham can embrace the hero it deserves?

-Doc
Old 07-23-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But what if that film picks up at least a year after these events, Batman's constantly having to do his work while avoiding the police/on the run... only to find out Dent's alive and Gordon knew about it? What if - now that Gotham has recovered from Joker's reign of terror (both physically and psychologically) - Two Face surfaces. The misdirect is revealed and Gotham can embrace the hero it deserves?

-Doc
As long as they don't open the third film with a scene that has Two Face luring Batman into a trap involving a helicopter, a hostage, and a security vault filled with acid.
Old 07-23-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Yavin
That occurred to me as well ... they could have just held a memorial ceremony for Harvey as a way of providing closure for the citizens of Gotham, and to explain why Harvey is no longer around. For all we know, he's probably locked up in Arkham.
Yeah, especially since the public knew Harvey Dent was in the hospital anyway when Joker was threatening to blow one. They can definitely go the route that it was just a memorial for Harvey's work and that he's in some critical condition or something. There definitely wasn't enough shown, from what i recall, to see that as a funeral or anything.
Old 07-23-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dent...do us a favor....STAY DEAD.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.