Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Outlander-A Sci-Fi Viking Epic

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trailer up, Jim Caviezel, John Hurt, and Ron Perlman I've never heard of the director Howard McCain. Looks like it's getting a release everywhere but North America.

http://outlander.solsector.net/index.htm
Old 07-11-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Yeah that just looks all sorts of FUCKING AWESOME!!
Are you kidding me, where the hell did this come from!?
Old 07-11-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Yeah that just looks all sorts of FUCKING AWESOME!!
Are you kidding me, where the hell did this come from!?
+1

This seemingly came out of nowhere. I had zero knowledge of this project and I usually keep up with this kind of stuff.

That trailer is all kinds of bad ass. Cant wait to see this one.
Old 07-11-08, 08:42 PM

Looks like Reign of Fire/In the Name of the King meets Pathfinder/Highlander versus Predator.

Not being released in North America is a pretty big red flag.
Old 07-11-08, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Scary
Looks like Reign of Fire/In the Name of the King meets Pathfinder/Highlander versus Predator.

It would be a red flag if it wasn't for the fact that the movie is being distributed by the Weinsteins.
Old 07-11-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to start a post today asking why there are no Viking movies, you do a search on IMDB and it pretty much brings up nothing. With them making remakes because hollywood has obviously run out of original ideas and all the other horrible original ideas and people copying each other, how many torture movies have there been since saw came out. How come there has never been a decent vikings movie. IMDB brought up 13th warrior but Im not about to watch an antonio banderas movie unless sylvester stallone is in it too.
A viking movie is so obscure that someone could just make a movie called 'vikings' because its never been done. I was about to start a script but it looks like this movie might have beat me to it, we need an epic or at least something close to an epic viking movie.

My other idea after reading a story today is modern day pirates these grenade launching, machine gun toting pirates in somalia that are hijacking vessels and murdering people. I think this would make a great movie. Get a ridley scott or someone along them lines to do it.

Edit:
I just watched the trailer after making this post, that looks like horse shit. I want a dated peice, I want a braveheart type thing, but big bearded vikings on viking ships. I dont want spaceships and laser guns and dragons. Give me the bio or Erik the viking or something. I want barbaric scandinavian vikings with zz top beards with kick ass special effects

Last edited by Jacoby Ellsbury; 07-11-08 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-11-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worst...movie...ever.

= J
Old 07-11-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 181 Posts
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it, assuming it gets released on DVD over here.
Old 07-11-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's gonna flop
Old 07-12-08, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Scary

Arrogant americans!
It might just mean that it's good. Perhaps there's just not enough crap in it for an american release...
Old 07-12-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
Arrogant americans!
It might just mean that it's good. Perhaps there's just not enough crap in it for an american release...
Exactly. What kind of movies do we get released here? MEET DAVE. 'Nuff said.
Old 07-12-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
A viking movie is so obscure that someone could just make a movie called 'vikings' because its never been done.
You mean like this one? But I do agree that Viking movies are unfortunately few in number.

And I think The 13th Warrior is a good Viking movie (or a "Viking Good Movie!") - as things go, it's still the one to see for anyone who's interested in such movies.
Old 07-12-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like how the trailer misspells "Lord of the Rings" by dropping the "s". Pretty glaring considering they're hyping the fact that they share a producer.
Old 07-12-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I liked Erik The Viking.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097289/

Last edited by mrhan; 07-12-08 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-12-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=dhmac]You mean like this one? But I do agree that Viking movies are unfortunately few in number.
QUOTE]

I did a search and didnt see that movie, I hadnt heard of it, but it has kirk douglas and scores a 7 on imdb so it has some validity. But yeah, remake it, give me a big budget 2 hour remake with bigger beards. Its only been 50 years since that one came out.

You can start with the new england patriots offensive lineman as a starting point for casting, theyre bearded and built like vikings

In fact if they havent been so great minus the all important 19th game Id say go ahead and send a package of them to the minnesota vikings
Old 07-13-08, 12:49 PM

Old 07-25-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just watched Trailer #2. This looks like one big slice of awesome. I love Viking films, and I agree there aren't nearly enough of them, so this one could be a lot of fun. Awful, hammy fun... but fun nonetheless.

I hope this gets some kind of release. With all the derivative crap that comes out I'd like to see something that's at least trying to be original.
Old 12-16-08, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...ws.php?id=8892

Outlander Touches Down in January
Source:Third Rail Releasing December 16, 2008

The Weinstein Co. has opted to hand down distribution duties for Outlander to Third Rail Releasing, an appendage of the company known for limited theatrical runs (see: Rogue, Eden Lake).

That being said, Third Rail has locked a release date of January 23rd. Company reps have not informed us how many theaters Howard McCain's long-delayed period creature feature will debut in. A DVD release is likely to follow in the subsequent months through Genius Products.

Outlander finds Jim Caviezel playing a man named Kainan who crash-lands on earth, pursued by a creature known as the Moorwen. Kainan's predicament has interrupted the lives of village of vikings and together they must fuse his weaponry with theirs to fight the predator. Sophia Myles, Ron Perlman and John Hurt co-star. Patrick Tatopoulos designed the film's main beast.
Old 12-16-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a definite rental.
Old 12-16-08, 03:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
I was going to start a post today asking why there are no Viking movies, you do a search on IMDB and it pretty much brings up nothing. With them making remakes because hollywood has obviously run out of original ideas and all the other horrible original ideas and people copying each other, how many torture movies have there been since saw came out. How come there has never been a decent vikings movie. IMDB brought up 13th warrior but Im not about to watch an antonio banderas movie unless sylvester stallone is in it too.
A viking movie is so obscure that someone could just make a movie called 'vikings' because its never been done. I was about to start a script but it looks like this movie might have beat me to it, we need an epic or at least something close to an epic viking movie.
I have to agree with you here. I'd like a few good Viking, Barbarian, Roman old fashioned war, Sword, Arrows, Spears and shields movie.
Where have they all gone? Give me an updated version of an old fashioned 1960 Romans vs. whoever flick. Maybe something along the same lines as Troy or Kingdom of Heaven or the original Conan would suit me fine.
P.S. I thought the 13th Warrior was very good. A nice SE of this with a few special features on Vikings would be incredible.
Also I didn't care for that 1958 Viking movie with Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis. I ended up trading it in a few months later.
Old 12-16-08, 05:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
According to Box Office Mojo it will be out January 23rd

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=outlander.htm
Old 12-16-08, 06:18 PM

Um, Outlander. Where have you been all my life?

Last edited by LickTheABCs; 12-16-08 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, January 23rd? Isn't that the same release day for Underworld: Rise of the Lycans? I'm thinking these two movies will probably cancel each other out.
Old 12-16-08, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Damn, January 23rd? Isn't that the same release day for Underworld: Rise of the Lycans? I'm thinking these two movies will probably cancel each other out.
As hot as Rhona Mitra is, methinks no Kate Beckinsale will cancel Underworld out.
Old 12-16-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awesome! Though I hate the scifi crap and outer space angle, I love these types of movies and will see it as soon as its released.

I love 13th Warrior (Wheres my SE bluray?)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.