Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight (Nolan, 2008) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight (Nolan, 2008) The Reviews Thread
69.86%
22.60%
5.02%
0.91%
0.23%
1.37%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight (Nolan, 2008) The Reviews Thread

Old 08-27-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So how do you think TDK changes superhero flicks in the future?

Do you think they might be more cerebral? Will studios be less willing to just throw a movie together like Ghost Rider and Punisher?
Old 08-27-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post
[Joker]"There's no going back"[/Joker] ... sorry, couldn't resist
Old 08-27-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you think they might be more cerebral? Will studios be less willing to just throw a movie together like Ghost Rider and Punisher?
Yes and no.

Yes, because future "big" superhero movies will be more in depth and cerebral. This is the same way I felt X-Men and Spider-Man became a jumping point for future superhero movies by making them more plot driven and focusing more on characters than action (like the later Batman and Superman movies did). I think after TDK, future superhero movies will focus a lot more on the villain and the villains intentions.

On the other hand, studios are still saying "Holy shit, a comic book movie made a ton of money lets pump these kind of movies out faster than drugs." And by that logic we'll continue to see crappy superhero movies mixed in with some great ones.
Old 08-27-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly View Post
The Hollywood Reporter has published an interesting article about the film's marketing and the deaths of both Heath Ledger and Conway Wickliffe before the film's release. The piece ends with a bit on the third installment.

And Warners and Legendary are both interested in doing a third in the series, but all involved say it will be up to Nolan to come to them with a story and a plan.

"There are a lot of us who emotionally would love to do it," Roven says. "But it's really Chris' call. Chris is the kind of filmmaker who just doesn't think about the next movie before he has completely finished the movie he is working on."

For now, Nolan is taking a well-earned vacation.

Says Roven, "When he comes back, we will see how he feels."
Shenanigans! If Nolan shuts down the idea of doing a third Batman movie Warners will be on the phone with Ratner within seconds. They say its Nolan's call for now, but its not. They know they have a cash cow in the third movie even if it is complete shit and they'll do whatever they can to get it made even if it means losing Nolan.
Old 08-27-08, 03:56 PM

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Yes and no.

Yes, because future "big" superhero movies will be more in depth and cerebral. This is the same way I felt X-Men and Spider-Man became a jumping point for future superhero movies by making them more plot driven and focusing more on characters than action (like the later Batman and Superman movies did). I think after TDK, future superhero movies will focus a lot more on the villain and the villains intentions.

On the other hand, studios are still saying "Holy shit, a comic book movie made a ton of money lets pump these kind of movies out faster than drugs." And by that logic we'll continue to see crappy superhero movies mixed in with some great ones.
Agreed. I think the studios should also let the talented director/writer do his/her/their job. While I liked Spider-Man 3, many did not, and it wasn't as good as SM2, mainly due to studio meddling.
Old 08-27-08, 11:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm already worried that the studios are learning the wrong lessons from TDK. For one thing, the film is NOT about the villain. The Joker is the catalyst for what happens in the film, but it's not ultimately about him. The common criticism of the previous Batman films was that the villains were the stars, not Batman. And they were right. But the reason this film was able to have such an enigmatic villain and not steal the spotlight from the hero is because we had an entire film that did nothing but focus on the hero. We've been through the journey of seeing Bruce Wayne become Batman, and that's why we're able to go into The Dark Knight completely empathetic to Bruce and what he's doing as Batman. I don't want to see more comic book movies where they all have great villains and faceless heroes. That's boring.

Secondly, WB already said they want to take more DC characters and make them dark. That's a terrible lesson to take away from TDK, in my opinion. The reason TDK is so dark is because Batman is far and away DC's darkest character. It doesn't make sense for Wonder Woman or Superman to be dark. That's not what those characters would be about.

I think the fact that TDK is cerebral will be the last thing the studios take out of it. They'll simply make a bunch of unnecessarily dark movies with charismatic villains, and most of them will probably suck.
Old 08-28-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Agreed. I think the studios should also let the talented director/writer do his/her/their job. While I liked Spider-Man 3, many did not, and it wasn't as good as SM2, mainly due to studio meddling.
I don't think it was studio meddling that doomed SM3. I think it was the fact that there were too many villians and all of the got the short shrift in the screenplay, not to mention the fact that Peter Parker himself became a emo wuss.
Old 08-28-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the Superman sequel thread someone mentioned that setting Superman in a dark setting would work so long as Superman himself is not dark. I agree. Superman should always be a beacon of hope. Batman is the tragic and brooding character. It totally kills their dynamic if they're both dark and brooding.
Old 08-28-08, 01:08 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I don't think it was studio meddling that doomed SM3. I think it was the fact that there were too many villians and all of the got the short shrift in the screenplay, not to mention the fact that Peter Parker himself became a emo wuss.
All of which would have been avoided if Venom had been left out of the film. Whose decision was it to add Venom? Not Sam Raimi's. Have you almost got it? That's right, it was the studio! Studio meddling FTW.
Old 08-28-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
All of which would have been avoided if Venom had been left out of the film. Whose decision was it to add Venom? Not Sam Raimi's. Have you almost got it? That's right, it was the studio! Studio meddling FTW.
Venom's scenes in the movie >>> Peter Parker's emo dancing scenes

They're all guilty.
Old 08-28-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 494 Likes on 394 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Venom's scenes in the movie >>> Peter Parker's emo dancing scenes

They're all guilty.
I think the original argument was no Venom, no symbiote, no symbiote no emo Parker dancing sequence.

That said, you are right. I'm sure w/o Venom they still would have introduced the symbiote... and even without the dancing sequence it still doesn't fix the biggest problem with the movie, the horrible plotline between Pete, Mary Jane, and Harry. It was like they all regressed to junior high.
Old 08-28-08, 04:20 PM

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
biggest problem with the movie, the horrible plotline between Pete, Mary Jane, and Harry. It was like they all regressed to junior high.
I don't get what was so horrible about it. I thought it got better once Harry came out of his amnesia.
Old 08-28-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
The whole Sandman retcon with Ben Parker was pretty stupid too. I'll blame the studio when it's obvious, like Fox rushing X3 out the door, but in this case i'm with the crew that puts blame on Raimi as much as the studio.

It feels like Raimi keeps squeezing in these odd silly scenes, just like the "Raindrops" scene in Spidey 2. It managed to work ok there, but to me the awkward strut and dance sequences reeks of a similar attempt.
Old 08-28-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
I don't get what was so horrible about it. I thought it got better once Harry came out of his amnesia.
It's more of expectation I suppose, the characters seemed to grow a lot during the course of Spider-man 2, and regressed to their pre-Spider-man 1 selves. It didn't work for me and just came off as corny.
Old 08-31-08, 03:00 PM

Slight change of the current topic, but I didn't want to start a thread just to ask this so....

I was looking in to getting some Dark Knight posters and have seen plenty of cool ones on the internet, but I also know there are about 50 different ones. Does anyone know a site/blog/nerd that has gathered pictures of at least most of them? I've tried to search myself and found a couple of sites that I KNOW are missing plenty.
Old 09-06-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To tide you over until the next film.
Old 09-09-08, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a little behind, just saw this one. I enjoyed it, haven't read through the entire thread, but did anyone else have a problem with Batman hurting and probably killing the SWAT team members to save the hostages? I realized he saved some innocent lives when you add up the numbers, but I couldn't look past the fact that he was throwing innocent people out a window to their death.
Old 09-09-08, 07:35 AM
Banned by request

He didn't kill any SWAT members. The ones he knocked out the window were tied and secured.
Old 09-09-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, there was no killing of SWAT members, they specifically show that.
Old 09-09-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Is Eagle Eye going to bump TDK for IMAX screens? If so I should catch it at least once more before the IMAX run ends.
Old 09-09-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 340 Likes on 244 Posts
I saw a normal print of TDK last night, and wow, what a difference between watching it in IMAX and watching it normally.
Old 09-09-08, 06:14 PM
Banned by request

Yes, Eagle Eye is going to bump TDK at most IMAX screens. Go see it again while you still have the chance!
Old 09-10-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Reuters:
Warner Bros. domestic distribution president Dan Fellman acknowledged ongoing talks with Imax execs over the prospect of restoring the Christian Bale starrer to some giant-screen venues in January. It's uncertain if "Dark Knight" also will reappear in conventional venues at that point.
Old 09-11-08, 12:07 AM
Banned by request

I'm not surprised. Eagle Eye comes out September 26th, and then it's bye bye for TDK at most IMAX theaters. This will let WB run "See it now before it's gone!" ads and then "Back by popular demand" ads in January. Plus releasing it again in January means that Ledger and the rest of the gang will be fresh in the minds of the award show voters.

Edit: This also gives WB the entire first half of 2009 in IMAX. Dark Knight reissue, Watchmen, Harry Potter.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-11-08 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-12-08, 06:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 374 Likes on 331 Posts
didn't think there were any reviewers left on the planet that haven't seen this one, but sure enough DK just went to 95% fresh. must be in the top 10 ratings i would think.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.