Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight (Nolan, 2008) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight (Nolan, 2008) — The Reviews Thread
69.86%
22.60%
5.02%
0.91%
0.23%
1.37%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight (Nolan, 2008) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Include Bane and call it Knightfall!
Old 08-20-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
A Dark Knight's Tale
Sounds more like a Making of... doc.
Old 08-20-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
condorito
dan30oly
DonnachaOne
GreenVulture,
JerryKILL,
steelpotato

Zero stars?
Old 08-20-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

... and?
Old 08-20-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Ouch indeed. What's next? "10 Thing I Hate About the Dark Knight"
1. The "Bat-voice".
2. The difference between trailer takes and finished product.
3. Maggie Gyllenhaal.
4. The fact that the first time I saw it wasn't in IMAX.
5. It has pretty much ruined any movie released after it.

Oh. Sorry, I assumed this was a new Dark Knight thread. My bad.

K
Old 08-20-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
The Brothers Wayne
Brokebat Mountain <---- This would only work if Bane is the villain.
Old 08-20-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
... and?
I understand not liking the film, but do you actually believe this movie deserves not even one star?

Taking into consideration the direction, sound design, cinematography, acting, screenplay, editing, production design, score etc...surely there is at least one singular aspect that would at least merit a single star.

No?
Old 08-21-08, 12:47 AM
Banned

Knight Falls.
Old 08-21-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
3. Maggie Gyllenhaal.
I kind of agree with this, but purely coming from the perspective of my inner "shallow male" syndrome. I don't know if it was the lighting they did on her face or what, but ouch...I had a tough time believing Wayne and Dent would be fawning over her, and the Joker calling her beautiful. But hey, maybe they're just seeing past all that to her inner beauty, I don't know.

Of course the argument could be made the other way, too - that it's always plastic beauties in those roles, and Maggie was breaking the mold. Still a little unbelievable when you see Bruce Wayne walk in with four Barbie dolls hanging off his nuts, yet he's really pining for Rachel.

What I don't get is the hate for the "bat voice". I think it's awesome that a masked superhero actually makes an effort to disguise his identity. I watched Superman again the other day - when he takes Lois on that flight then comes back into her apartment as Clark Kent, he takes off his glasses for a second while she's in the bathroom like he's thinking about revealing his identity to her...it's just so hoakey that a mere pair of glasses would disguise him that much so Lois or anyone else wouldn't recognize him. That's always bugged the hell out of me. Eh whatever, I like Bat-gravel-voice.
Old 08-21-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I kind of agree with this, but purely coming from the perspective of my inner "shallow male" syndrome. I don't know if it was the lighting they did on her face or what, but ouch...I had a tough time believing Wayne and Dent would be fawning over her, and the Joker calling her beautiful. But hey, maybe they're just seeing past all that to her inner beauty, I don't know.
Case #2 of the article should be interesting to you:
http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/i...he_dark_knight
Old 08-21-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 313 Likes on 215 Posts
Still a little unbelievable when you see Bruce Wayne walk in with four Barbie dolls hanging off his nuts, yet he's really pining for Rachel.
I think that's the point though. The real Bruce is not the one who has "four Barbie dolls hanging off his nuts" so his genuine love interest being less superficially attractive serves to emphasize Bruce's true character.
Old 08-21-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
3. Maggie Gyllenhaal.
What's with all the Gyllenhall-bashing? At least she can act. Would you have preferred another go-around with the wretched Katie Holmes?
Old 08-21-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Case #2 of the article should be interesting to you:
http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/i...he_dark_knight

This was good: “Her face is slowly falling off her head”
Old 08-22-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
What's with all the Gyllenhall-bashing? At least she can act. Would you have preferred another go-around with the wretched Katie Holmes?
Not necessarily bashing her (I'm often a fan, actually). But something about her in this movie just rubs me the wrong way. And it's not just that she looks kind of, um, "off". She can act, no doubts. In fact, I really liked her in Secretary.

But in The Dark Knight, a movie filled with incredible performances, I just don't feel like she's very strong (which has as much to do with the writing as the performance). In fact, the scene in the beginning, as they're leaving the courtroom, and Harvey says he's meeting with the chief of police, and she goes, "Jim Gordon? He's a friend of mine, so try to be nice!" Ugh. The way she says it irritates me every. goddamn. time. She deserves a spanking for that delivery alone.

And, you know what, while I generally prefer Maggie to Kate, I don't think I would've minded having Katie back, as I always prefer consistency from one film to the next in a franchise. I never really hated Katie's performance in Batman Begins, but I do admit she also wasn't very strong compared to the company she found herself in. And, honestly, this is the problem with most superhero movies for me. The "damsel in distress" and/or love interest role. Not so much the part, but the actresses. As far as I'm concerned, it's only been done right twice. Batman (1989) with Kim Basinger and The Hulk with Jennifer Connelly (one of few bright spots in that mess). Kirsten Dunst in the Spider-Man movies, Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns, Liv Tyler in The Incredible Hulk, Nicole Kidman in Batman Forever, etc. They all just seem out of place and rather bland. And I have nothing against any of those actresses (save Kate Bosworth) in other movies. I don't know.

I totally forgot where I was going with this, so... um... That is all.

K
Old 08-25-08, 04:48 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Want a good laugh? Look who some say is being pegged for Batman 3's Catwoman.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017852.html
Old 08-25-08, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Want a good laugh? Look who some say is being pegged for Batman 3's Catwoman.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017852.html
Wow. Riiiiight.
Old 08-25-08, 06:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Why not? We've already seen the young sexy Catwoman done well a couple times. Jolie certainly wouldn't add anything new or Oscar worthy, something radically different like Cher would have a chance.
Old 08-25-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I refuse to watch anything with Cher in it.
Even if it's a new Batman movie.

Cher as Catwoman will NEVER happen.
Maybe playing Catwomans' grandmother, never as the actual Catwoman Character.
Old 08-25-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Never gonna happen. And they cant even spell the possible title right in the article. And why a move to Vancouver? Fail all around
Old 08-25-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Never gonna happen. And they cant even spell the possible title right in the article. And why a move to Vancouver? Fail all around
Well the financial failure of The Dark Knight theatrically means if WB greenlights a sequel, it will be at a substantially reduced budget, far lower than the $185m that Dark Knight had meaning it won't be possible to film in Chicago again. Additionally, casting Cher instead of a bigger drawing name will substantially cut down on costs as well.

Gotta love speculation on a movie that isn't even announced yet.
Old 08-25-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Well the financial failure of The Dark Knight theatrically...
In what world does being the 2nd highest domestic grossing film ever count as a "financial failure"?
Old 08-25-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts
The Caped Crusader Returns
Old 08-25-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Well the financial failure of The Dark Knight theatrically means if WB greenlights a sequel, it will be at a substantially reduced budget, far lower than the $185m that Dark Knight had meaning it won't be possible to film in Chicago again. Additionally, casting Cher instead of a bigger drawing name will substantially cut down on costs as well.

Gotta love speculation on a movie that isn't even announced yet.
I wouldn't be surprised if the franchise gets a reboot. It really needs to be darker like Superman Returns.
Old 08-25-08, 11:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
In what world does being the 2nd highest domestic grossing film ever count as a "financial failure"?
Detecting sarcasm. A lost art.
Old 08-25-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I understand not liking the film, but do you actually believe this movie deserves not even one star?

Taking into consideration the direction, sound design, cinematography, acting, screenplay, editing, production design, score etc...surely there is at least one singular aspect that would at least merit a single star.

No?
Oh, she's not coming back to defend her rating. She's mildly annoyed that the poll was actually public and someone called her on it. You see, it's not her thing to actually explain or justify her opinions, just to give you an attitude about not agreeing with her while thinking about how much smarter and better she is than you.

But I for one do appreciate your comment, as you can see, four days later, she still has no defense of her comments, and I can promise you she doesn't feel one is warranted either. JumpCutz - 1, D - 0

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.