Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Myths

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Movie Myths

So to start things off theres the wizard of oz and its many myths. We all know the whole person hung in the background myth has been debunked. But there's another one that I'm not sure is real or just a myth:

The Wizard Of Oz is a pro communist film. In my media studies class, the teacher talked in length about many things in the film that are pro communism. Such as the guards chanting "oh we oh" is misheard and the real words are "All we owe we owe her" He said that it was a Pro-Communist statement. And the whole wizard is heard but not seen by the town people is another example of Pro-Communism. So was the Wizard of Oz a Pro Communism film? What are some other movie myths you've heard that we can debunk?
Old 07-07-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't the Wizard being heard but not seen make the movie anti-communist?
Old 07-07-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why are so many teachers/professors complete and total morons?

Discuss.

Old 07-07-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
I don't think there is any evidence to indicate that the filmmaker's were trying to sneak in pro-communist statements. In reality, your teacher is just stretching some things to make his idea fit. Doesn't mean it's true and I don't really think it's true. There are probably hundreds of other movies that you could say the same thing but that doesn't make it a correct interpretation. I just need some evidence that it was done on purpose before I believe it.
Old 07-07-08, 05:12 PM

My high school history teacher said The Wizard of Oz was about the industrial revolution.
Old 07-07-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xHklGtW3rwU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xHklGtW3rwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-07-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
Why are so many teachers/professors complete and total morons?

Discuss.

Old 07-07-08, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pvt. Hudson didn't die in Aliens.
Old 07-08-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mhg83
...The Wizard Of Oz is a pro communist film. In my media studies class, the teacher talked in length about many things in the film that are pro communism. ... So was the Wizard of Oz a Pro Communism film? What are some other movie myths you've heard that we can debunk?
And I've told I read too much into things.

More of that nonsense here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic...l_Wizard_of_Oz

Considering that bedtime stories Baum told his children became the Wizard of Oz, I'd say that pretty much debunks any intellectual (and absurd) interpretations that Oz deals with pro-communism or the industrial revolution.

Unless one wants to hold to a notion that Baum was writing propaganda for children.
Old 07-08-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
The story I got in college economic class is that at the time the book was written the U.S. was considering switching from the gold standard to silver(?). Baum supported sticking with the gold standard and the "yellow brick road" represents that.
Old 07-08-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
As another poster pointed out - if the witch's minions and the Wizard (proven to be a sham) were PRO-Communist, that means the movie is actually ANTI-Communist.

Now I don't believe there's anything to the idea -but even if it was true, what's the big deal?

Now if you REALLY want to debate, let's talk about how E.T. is essentially the Christ story. That's a fun one.
Old 07-08-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Now if you REALLY want to debate, let's talk about how E.T. is essentially the Christ story. That's a fun one.
really? I thought it was just that the imagery of ET's finger and the little boy's finger touching in the promotional posters mirrored Michelangelo's "Creation of Adam" painting? But then again I guess I forgot about the E.T. rising again.

Superman, has a "Christlike" vibe in it. The only son sent to the Earth to save it. Either way I'm sure the similarities are unintentional. Many stories throughout human history deal with resurrection, so it would make sense that modern tales should have something like that in them.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-08-08 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-08-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
One of my favorite, "This is what this film is really about!", stories comes from Radical Blacks who believe the film "King Kong" is a warning to Black men, represented by the beast "Kong", about lusting after White women; who's obviously represented by the "Ann Darrow" character who Kong falls for and ultimately dies because of.

My brother dated a girl who told me this when I was young and even then I thought it was crazy.
Old 07-08-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
The story I got in college economic class is that at the time the book was written the U.S. was considering switching from the gold standard to silver(?). Baum supported sticking with the gold standard and the "yellow brick road" represents that.
Yeah, I've read about that interpretation, too. Quite fascinating, really, though I'm not convinced it was actually Baum's intent.

Since the Oz characters seem to represent archetypes and it would appear that there is a lot of symbolism to be drawn from the circumstances and settings, there are a number of possible ways to interpret them.
Old 07-08-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
There's The Conqueror . The majority of people associated with the film later came down with cancer and died (John Wayne, Dick Powell, Pedro Armendariz, Susan Hayward, Agnes Moorehead and others) supposedly because the film was shot on an old A-bomb test site in the Nevada desert.
Old 07-08-08, 04:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Myth: Tom Selleck was originally cast as Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but had to bow out due to his contract for "Magnum P.I."

Reality: Selleck actually got out of his contract, and went to work on the film. However, he was killed on the first day of shooting by the giant boulder (the remaining seasons of "Magnum" were completed by using clever editing and a body double).
Old 07-08-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
Myth: Tom Selleck was originally cast as Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but had to bow out due to his contract for "Magnum P.I."

Reality: Selleck actually got out of his contract, and went to work on the film. However, he was killed on the first day of shooting by the giant boulder (the remaining seasons of "Magnum" were completed by using clever editing and a body double).
Interesting, that actually gives more credence to the Three Men and a Baby ghost myth.
Old 07-08-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Apone
Pvt. Hudson didn't die in Aliens.
But Shane DID die at the end of Shane...believe it, or not.
Old 07-08-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
But Shane DID die at the end of Shane...believe it, or not.
Spoiler:
Shane slumps forward visibly on his horse as he rides off, but that's certainly not concrete proof. I always assumed he was on the verge of dying as the film ended, and was riding off to die somewhere, content in the knowledge that Jean Arthur secretly loved him.

Last edited by NoirFan; 07-08-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Shane slumps forward visibly on his horse as he rides off, but that's certainly not concrete proof. I always assumed he was on the verge of dying as the film ended, and was riding off to die somewhere, content in the knowledge that Jean Arthur secretly loved him.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I never even noticed him slumping when I saw Shane. I always assumed he lived but then I saw some Samuel L. Jackson movie (can't remember which one) where they were debating whether Shane lived or died. IMO, he lived.
Old 07-08-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As another poster pointed out - if the witch's minions and the Wizard (proven to be a sham) were PRO-Communist, that means the movie is actually ANTI-Communist.
Since the Winkies were the Witch's slaves, and celebrated when Dorothy killed her, I don't see how that follows -- under the professor's thesis, they're oppressed labor dreaming of a worker's paradise.

However, the theory strikes me as bunk. For it to make sense, the prof would have to show that the same person was responsible for inserting all those elements in the story. For a film with three directors and a dozen writers, that's highly unlikely unless Mervyn Leroy told them to do it that way (and Leroy doesn't strike me as much of a commie), or if those elements were present in L. Frank Baum's novel (which they aren't).
Old 07-08-08, 07:09 PM

One of my favorite, "This is what this film is really about!", stories comes from Radical Blacks who believe the film "King Kong" is a warning to Black men, represented by the beast "Kong", about lusting after White women; who's obviously represented by the "Ann Darrow" character who Kong falls for and ultimately dies because of.
I have heard that one also a couple of times. Another version I have heard and Danny Peary tells a version of it also in his book Cult Movies is that Kong is Carl Denham's id that gets released because he wants Ann and can't have her. The whole film is Denham's "dream" of how his "id" wants/lusts/rapes Ann.
Old 07-08-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There were some people a few years ago trying to say that " Batman Begins " was a pro-Bush message film.

Um, What?