Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mark Wahlberg

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
I used to like him, but he is way too homophobic for my liking these days
examples?
Old 07-07-08, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to like him, but he is way too homophobic for my liking these days, plus he also comes off as a chav as well
Add to the fact he has absolutely no range as an actor.

I was bummed when Peter Jackson replaced Ryan Gosling with Wahlberg in" 'The Lovely Bones".

We'll see how that turns out.
Old 07-07-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr.Scary
Add to the fact he has absolutely no range as an actor.

I was bummed when Peter Jackson replaced Ryan Gosling with Wahlberg in" 'The Lovely Bones".

We'll see how that turns out.
I agree. No range at all. Very wooden.
His homophobic remarks don't help.
Old 07-07-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
examples?
Brokeback Mountain disgusted him and he turned the movie down because he was afraid people might think he's gay for doing such a film (although he has no problem playing mobsters and hitmen and the sort). He also attacked David Beckham for being metrosexual and appearance driven (which is funny because most people I know think Mark is well past his prime in that dept. anyways). Hell, even in the early 90's, he got a lot of flack for siding with reggae star Shabba Ranks for putting a song on his album that was laced with anti-gay remarks. I've enjoyed the movies I've seen him in, but as a gay man, I can't support someone like him when there are hundreds of other actors who are quite the opposite of him in terms of stances, and plus I never thought he was all that attractive except for his early Marky Mark days anyhow.

Last edited by nothingfails; 07-07-08 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Brokeback Mountain disgusted him and he turned the movie down because he was afraid people might think he's gay for doing such a film (although he has no problem playing mobsters and hitmen and the sort). He also attacked David Beckham for being metrosexual and appearance driven (which is funny because most people I know think Mark is well past his prime in that dept. anyways). Hell, even in the early 90's, he got a lot of flack for siding with reggae star Shabba Ranks for putting a song on his album that was laced with anti-gay remarks. I've enjoyed the movies I've seen him in, but as a gay man, I can't support someone like him when there are hundreds of other actors who are quite the opposite of him in terms of stances, and plus I never thought he was all that attractive except for his early Marky Mark days anyhow.
Jealous much?
Old 07-07-08, 08:05 PM

Wow Marky Mark sounds like a bigger dipshit than I originally thought.
Old 07-07-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't see anything there that would label him a homophobe but thats just my opinion.
Old 07-07-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=Cornelius1047]
And yeah, steer clear of The Happening. Everyone is bad in that.

I never thought much of him one way or the other, but he is easily the worst thing in The Happening, and that is quite the achievement in this film.
Old 07-07-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Jealous much?
what's to be jealous of? The man's in his mid-30's and doesn't look a day under 45. I thought it was hilarious attacked David Beckham when Beckham is only two or three years younger than him and 100-fold in the looks dept. what Wahlberg is.

What's to be jealous of when I think Wahlberg is ugly and ragged on both the inside and out?
Old 07-07-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Don't see anything there that would label him a homophobe but thats just my opinion.
well, he might not be on a Fred Phelps/Pat Robertson league as a gay-basher, but I certainly wouldn't call him a friend to the gays either.

RE his Brokeback comments. I personally thought the movie was overrated, but it's funny that he is so repulsed by a gay-oriented movie and was afraid people would associate him as a gay man if he did the movie, but the same guy has no problem with starring in overtly violent roles where he plays hitmen, mobsters and the sort. I just see a hypocrisy that he is afraid of being associated with a movie where the main characters are gay, but he has no problem doing pictures like The Departed and We Own The Night and the sort that are laced with violence and blood. Why would being seen as a hitman who "takes out the trash" be considered a good thing, but not a gay cowboy?
Old 07-07-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If he didn't take the role specifically because he was afraid of being a gay character and was quoted as such, then I agree that shows some prejudice on his part.
Old 07-07-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
How's that Asian immigrant, whose eye Wahlberg permanently gouged out during an unprovoked assault, doing?

He was pretty decent in Boogie Nights though.
Old 07-07-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Any actual quotes (and source) from Wahlberg on turning down Brokeback? Like politics, I deal in facts.
Old 07-07-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Any actual quotes (and source) from Wahlberg on turning down Brokeback? Like politics, I deal in facts.
I will look for them. They were all over AfterElton about a year and a half ago.

http://www.theinsider.com/news/66842...EBACK_MOUNTAIN
Old 07-07-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's The Smoking Gun's full rap sheet on Wahlberg, detailing his various racial assaults.
Old 07-07-08, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
That line was essential. It had to be delivered "just right." You can tell that Wahlberg is unsure whether Damon is really guilty (the gun-hand is a bit shaky, and Wahlberg doesn't shoot until Damon speaks). Once Damon says what he says, the tone of it implies that Wahlberg should put the gun down so he can explain himself. It implies guilt, and Wahlberg is a good-enough detective to know guilt when he hears it, but he couldn't shoot him until he was absolutely sure.
Whereas I agree with you on the importance of the delivery of that line, I differ on why.

I think Marky's gun is shaky because he is a cop and he's about to commit murder. When the actual moment came he re-thought his place, but when Damon began to try to weasel his way out, Marky was reminded of what kind of scumbag was going to be murdered and pulled the trigger with no remorse.

Marky knew at that point Damon was guilty, he just wasn't 100% sure he was going to murder him. Probably more like 99.6% until he saw Damon ready to start negotiating his life just like the rat he knew he was.
Old 07-08-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
Whereas I agree with you on the importance of the delivery of that line, I differ on why.

I think Marky's gun is shaky because he is a cop and he's about to commit murder. When the actual moment came he re-thought his place, but when Damon began to try to weasel his way out, Marky was reminded of what kind of scumbag was going to be murdered and pulled the trigger with no remorse.

Marky knew at that point Damon was guilty, he just wasn't 100% sure he was going to murder him. Probably more like 99.6% until he saw Damon ready to start negotiating his life just like the rat he knew he was.
Now I'm curious. What would Damon have had to do to save his life? Remain silent? Say something different? It seemed to me that Damon wasn't necessarily trying to weasel his way out, it sounded almost like he was admitting his guilt. By that token, it was enough for Marky to know 100% that he was guilty, and that murder was warranted.

If you disagree, what do you think would have saved Damon's life?
Old 07-08-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't stand Mark Wahlberg (and still think he's highly overated as an actor) until I saw him in Boogie Nights. The fact that someone I considered an egotistical tool could let themselves be see in that light, I had to give him some respect.

BTW, he was by far the worst actor in Departed.
Old 07-08-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I couldn't stand Mark Wahlberg (and still think he's highly overated as an actor) until I saw him in Boogie Nights.
Boogie Nights was one of his earliest films. So you couldn't stand him in Fear or The Basketball Diaries or somethin'?
Old 07-08-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Boogie Nights was one of his earliest films. So you couldn't stand him in Fear or The Basketball Diaries or somethin'?
The poster may not watch movies by chronological release.
Old 07-08-08, 10:14 AM
Cool New Member

He´s a bit of a joke really- although i found Boogie Nights pretty funny. Think its just as well he never took the part for Brokeback Mountain cos I can´t imagined ever he would have been able to do a better job.
Old 07-08-08, 12:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by An4h0ny
i actually don't like that show very much
wow.
Old 07-08-08, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brack
wow.
is it really so hard to believe someone wouldn't like Entourage very much?

Drama is my favorite part, but he's not worth tuning in every time for
Old 07-08-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Drama is my favorite part, but he's not worth tuning in every time for
Wow.

(just kidding)
FYI - I've never watched it either, mainly because Mark Wahlberg isn't in it.

And as far the other guy who doesn't watch his Mark Wahlberg pictures in date release order..................

Wow.
Old 07-08-08, 12:33 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
you're the first one I know of, so I guess I'd have to say yes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.