Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite movie fight scene?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's your favorite movie fight scene?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benny Urquidez vs. Jackie Chan, both in Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever

Pedicab Driver
Sammo Hung and Lau Kar Leung

Project A
Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, and Yuen Biao against Dick Wei
Dick Wei was so badass in this scene; he looks like Dr. Steel from Big Jim.

Old 07-02-08, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Bm0RIs-VJU&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Bm0RIs-VJU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Glad somebody else remembered this great one!!
Old 07-02-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WM LOPEZ,
I said Bruce Lee's Game of Death (at least for the scenes he was in)
Old 07-02-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Mongo v. Horse - Blazing Saddles
Doesn't count...the horse was trained to take a dive.
Old 07-02-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How can everyone have forgotten Riki-Oh?!

Old 07-02-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Another vote for They Live.
Old 07-02-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since all the cool and/or serious fights have been posted, I thought I'd throw this one in:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MfkHkdu5IEI&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MfkHkdu5IEI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-02-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The fight scene in the sauna/steam room in Eastern Promises was pretty badass!!
Old 07-02-08, 03:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The Dark Knight:

[spoiler]Harley Quinn vs. Killer Croc [/spioler]
Old 07-02-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
The Dark Knight:

[spoiler]xxxxxxxxx[/spioler]
Um...better learn how to spell there.
Old 07-02-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I loved this as a kid...and I still love it today!

Subtle but good

If only the third movie was as good as the first two..

I love how personal this is, and for the first half...he is getting his ass KICKED

Old 07-02-08, 05:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
I'm big into all things where Donnie Yen inserts his fist into the bad guys.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/65IS3Rx-p3o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/65IS3Rx-p3o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhsFZSg342Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhsFZSg342Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-02-08, 05:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
I think without Bruce none of these recent films would be what they are today.

As for recent films the fight scenes in SPL and Flash Point; both with Donnie Yen are pretty awesome.
Sorry, missed your comments, as I added a couple of scenes from those movies. I totally agree with your comment, great stuff watching him throw down.
Old 07-02-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. Burly Brawl - Matrix Reloaded
2. Neo vs the Merovingian's thugs in the Chateau
3. Wolverine vs Yuriko- X2
4. Daredevil vs Bulls eye in the church
5. John Anderton takes on multiple Pre-crime agents in the alley - Minority Report
6. Maximus vs Tigris of Gaul - Gladiator
7. Jack and Davey Jones on the ships mast and the entire maelstrom fight - POTC At Worlds End
8. Kong vs a family of T-Rex
9. Flashback fight between Nefertiri and Evy clad in ancient Egyptian clothing and bare feet - The Mummy Returns
10. Final knife fight - The Hunted
Old 07-02-08, 08:40 PM

In True Romance between Patricia Arquette and James Gandolfini.
Old 07-02-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Speaking of Donnie Yen, In the Line of Duty 4 and Tiger Cage offer up some good fisticuffs and footicuffs, and speaking of ITLOD4, the fight scene on the airplane near the beginning of Royal Warriors is a great one.
Old 07-02-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TattedBigMan
Old 07-03-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
I'm a big fan of the fight scene between James Bond and Red Grant on a train in From Russia With Love - it has a brutal realism (enhanced by the lack of music) that's rare in the Bond films
That's my favorite scene from a Bond movie, period. Not just fight scene, but any scene. The buildup to that fight when Grant is pointing the gun at Bond and talking trash to him was incredible.

"The first one won't kill you...not the second...not even the third...Not til you crawl over here and you kiss my foot."
Old 07-03-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TattedBigMan
good one...
Old 07-03-08, 09:57 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like the wire-fu crap. I like the Bruce Lee ones and the Bourne fights.
Old 07-03-08, 09:58 AM
Banned

I enjoyed the Oldboy hallway scene
Old 07-03-08, 10:21 PM

Wow

Hmmm....too many to choose from.

Ones that immediately spring to mind:

The duel at the end of Sanjuro w/ Mifune (yeah it was short...but wow!)

All of the Jackie Chan fight scenes previously mentioned (along with just too many more...)

The one v. many "break-a-thon" in Tom Yum Goong (The Protector) w/ Tony Jaa....WOW!

There are just too many Gordon Liu & Liu Chia Liang films to mention...

Practically any sword v. spear fight scene in the Odd Couple (Sammo Hung, ...)

there are just waaaayyy too many...arghh
Old 07-04-08, 08:04 AM
Banned

Yeah, so many fists, so little time....

(1) ENTER THE DRAGON

Like others, I was surprised that it took so long for Bruce Lee to be mentioned. By that time, I assumed that everybody regarded him to be the Zen Master of Fight Scenes & thus was ineligible (since he would be on everyone's list).

I paid $50 for a poor bootleg Beta video of Enter the Dragon back in the day (when blank tapes cost $20 each) just so I could watch the cavern fight scene over & over (and replay it in slow-motion...at least, I think our earliest Beta machine, which cost about $1200, had slow motion).

Almost better than the cavern fight...which had my future wife, me, and the Friday midnight show crowd on our feet shouting in amazement (you can imagine the scene on the sidewalk after the show with so many wannabes trying out their new moves)...was Lee's confrontation with Oharra. I had never seen a human being's hands move so fast. Lee was literally a blur...it was almost like the Gene Wilder parody 'chess piece' scene in blazing saddles...except it was real & filmed in real time.

The scene in Chinese Connection when Lee took on the Japanese school was pretty impressive, too.

I agree with Mrhan and those who say that Lee set the gold standard for future fight scenes.

(2) DIE HARD I

A more recent scene that stands out in my mind is the Bruce Willis fight between him & the longhaired German guy toward the end. I think it was the Willis's everyman quality, his desperation, and his ad-libbed groans & angry, frustrated comments during the fight that made this one memorable.

(3) DIGGSTOWN
You gotta love the part when Louis Gosset, Jr. (as Honey Roy Palmer) takes on 10 fighters in one marathon session...especially when his 'agent' James Woods puts a laxative in one unfortunate opponent's water.

(4) SHANE

For classic fights, it's hard to beat Alan Ladd taking on Ben Johnson in the saloon...followed by the entire group of cowboys ganging up on him until Van Heflin comes in with an axe handle & starts laying the wood to them. Free-for-all ensues.

(5) THE SPOILERS

John Wayne. Randolph Scott.

The mother of all western fistfights...seemingly taking place inside & outside nearly every location in town.

So many others have been mentioned already...if cinema knows how to do anything right, it's a fight scene.
Old 07-04-08, 08:14 AM
Banned

Yeah, so many fists, so little time....

(1) ENTER THE DRAGON

Like others, I was surprised that it took so long for Bruce Lee to be mentioned. By that time, I assumed that everybody regarded him to be the Zen Master of Fight Scenes & thus was ineligible (since he would be on everyone's list).

I paid $50 for a poor bootleg Beta video of Enter the Dragon back in the day (when blank tapes cost $20 each) just so I could watch the cavern fight scene over & over (and replay it in slow-motion...at least, I think our earliest Beta machine, which cost about $1200, had slow motion).

Almost better than the cavern fight...which had my future wife, me, and the Friday midnight show crowd on our feet shouting in amazement (you can imagine the scene on the sidewalk after the show with so many wannabes trying out their new moves)...was Lee's confrontation with Oharra. I had never seen a human being's hands move so fast. Lee was literally a blur...it was almost like the Gene Wilder parody 'chess piece' scene in blazing saddles...except it was real & filmed in real time.

The scene in Chinese Connection when Lee took on the Japanese school was pretty impressive, too.

I agree with Mrhan and those who say that Lee set the gold standard for future fight scenes.

(2) DIE HARD I

A more recent scene that stands out in my mind is the Bruce Willis fight between him & the longhaired German guy toward the end. I think it was the Willis's everyman quality, his desperation, and his ad-libbed groans & angry, frustrated comments during the fight that made this one memorable.

(3) DIGGSTOWN
You gotta love the part when Louis Gosset, Jr. (as Honey Roy Palmer) takes on 10 fighters in one marathon session...especially when his 'agent' James Woods puts a laxative in one unfortunate opponent's water.

(4) SHANE

For classic fights, it's hard to beat Alan Ladd taking on Ben Johnson in the saloon...followed by the entire group of cowboys ganging up on him until Van Heflin comes in with an axe handle & starts laying the wood to them. Free-for-all ensues.
When I showed this to "jaded" 8th-graders who had seen every modern-day fight scene imaginable both in movies & video games, I thought they'd scoff at it's 'old-fashioned' depiction. Boy howdy, was I wrong. When Ladd & Johnson are circling each other like two junyard dogs, faces bloodied, panting with exertion, you could cut the tension with a knife. Getting 30 8th-graders quiet isn't a easy task...but you could almost hear the held breath of the kids as they waited for the punches to be thrown. During some classes, a kid couldn't take it any longer and would yell, "Hit 'im!" When Shane drives his opponent to his knees (punctuated by Jody's snapping of the peppermint stick), the class would inevitably burst out in a cheer. Masterful direction by George Stevens...still captivating audiences over 50 years later.

(5) THE SPOILERS

John Wayne. Randolph Scott.

The mother of all western fistfights...seemingly taking place inside & outside nearly every location in town.

So many others have been mentioned already...if cinema knows how to do anything right, it's a fight scene.

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-04-08 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-04-08, 08:40 AM
Banned

(Sigh) I made the mistake of mentioning this thread to my wife, who loves a good fight

She made me mention two of her all-time favorites:

(1) DEADWOOD: The street fight in the mud between Dan & Captain Turner.

(2) ROME: The fight between Pullo & the gladiators. I know, weapons were involved to some extent, but it was still an awesome fight.

BTW...I recently saw a related thread on a different site & someone mentioned the "It's only a flesh wound" scene from MP & the Holy Grail as being pretty unbeatable.

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-04-08 at 08:42 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.