DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   SilverDocs 2008, June 16-23 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/533710-silverdocs-2008-june-16-23-a.html)

Yakuza Bengoshi 06-16-08 02:21 PM

SilverDocs 2008, June 16-23

Anybody attending any screenings at this year's Silverdocs Film Fest at the AFI Silver in Silver Spring, MD? I'll be there Tuesday-Saturday for 3 or 4 films a day.

Giles 06-16-08 02:23 PM

yup, got my pass! (but that's no surprise coming from me).

The Bus 06-16-08 03:07 PM

I wish people would post threads on these events with more than -15 hours notice. :sad:

Any of you seeing American Teen?

pjflyer 06-16-08 03:30 PM

I'm hoping to get out there Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Yakuza Bengoshi 06-16-08 03:55 PM

Giles, I'll look for you.

pjflyer, what are you planning on seeing?

Originally Posted by The Bus
I wish people would post threads on these events with more than -15 hours notice. :sad:

Well then consider this a very early posting for the 21st Silverdocs -- just 8775 hours to go!!!

pjflyer 06-16-08 03:57 PM

I got a ticket for Garden on Wednesday night. Looks interesting, and I enjoyed the director's previous film OT: Our Town. The Hunter S Thompson film looks to be sold out so I may see Kalinovsky Square after Garden.

EDIT: Looks like Kalinovsky Square is sold out as well. Maybe I'll try a rush line after Garden.

pjflyer 06-17-08 07:44 AM

How long should it take to drive to AFI from Alexandria around 5:30? I could take the metro but that would mean I couldn't stay for a late film.

Yakuza Bengoshi 06-17-08 08:09 PM

Probably about an hour and a half.

If you've looking for something to see after THE GARDEN, I highly recommend WILD COMBINATION: A PORTRAIT OF ARTHUR RUSSELL.

Giles 06-24-08 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by pjflyer
I got a ticket for Garden on Wednesday night. Looks interesting, and I enjoyed the director's previous film OT: Our Town. The Hunter S Thompson film looks to be sold out so I may see Kalinovsky Square after Garden.

EDIT: Looks like Kalinovsky Square is sold out as well. Maybe I'll try a rush line after Garden.

I bumped into him (the director) the next day and told him I really enjoyed his film, as well as 'OT: Our Town' which I told him I saw with my subscription to Film Movement.

I have to say of the four films I enjoyed the most, three actually have theatrical release: 'Up the Yangtze', 'Man on Wire' and the Werner Herzog film: 'Encounters at the End of the World'. 'Holy Land Hardball' about the attempt to bring a baseball league to Israel - was a really fun doc.

for the record 'Hi My Name is Ryan' was terrible.

'My Winnipeg' is opening at the Silver this Friday (the 27th) even though I had a tix to it, I kind of threw in the towel after 'Theatre of War' and went home and crashed.

'Gonzo' opens at E Street on the 4th of July
'Up the Yangtze' opens at E Street on the 27th of June
'Kicking It' - about the Homeless World Cup also opens on the 27th at E Street.

Yakuza Bengoshi 06-24-08 10:13 PM

Giles, it's a testament to how many great films they had that I didn't see more of you. My favorites were the retrospective of AN AMERICAN FAMILY, WILD COMBO: A PORTRAIT OF ARTHUR RUSSELL, and DEAR ZACHARY.

AN AMERICAN FAMILY was the hightlight for me. It's a masterpiece of 1970s cinema vérité and I'm so happy to have finally seen it. I devoted 14 hours to this one, but it was definitely worth it.