Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Man 2 - April 2010 (Favreau is directing)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Iron Man 2 - April 2010 (Favreau is directing)

Old 11-17-13, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Iron Man 2 - April 2010 (Favreau is directing)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm wondering the same thing, "MDJ" has been mentioned twice in this thread. I don't know if it's just a typo or if Morton Downey Jr. is to blame for all the problems in the Iron Man franchise.

TH doesn't seem to know when to keep his mouth shut. I remember when he was promoting Lee Daniels' The Butler and he kept bragging about playing with Oprah's big old titties in his sex scene. I'm far from an Oprah fan but be a damn professional when being interviewed, man!
If I got to play with those giant funbags I'd brag about it too
Old 11-17-13, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing, "MDJ" has been mentioned twice in this thread. I don't know if it's just a typo or if Morton Downey Jr. is to blame for all the problems in the Iron Man franchise.

TH doesn't seem to know when to keep his mouth shut. I remember when he was promoting Lee Daniels' The Butler and he kept bragging about playing with Oprah's big old titties in his sex scene. I'm far from an Oprah fan but be a damn professional when being interviewed, man!
Interesting typo. The m is far from the r.
Old 11-17-13, 04:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Jon Favreau is a goddamn liar then!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...003729_pf.html

"Yeah, it was difficult," Favreau says of selling Downey. "Marvel had had a lot of success with things like 'Fantastic Four,' where you come out with a nice young cast. Nobody's heard of these people, but they're kind of sexy, cracking wise, there are a lot of visuals from the comic books brought to the screen. I think they were looking to follow that model."

What Favreau was looking for was something along the lines of what Gore Verbinski did with "Pirates of the Caribbean," which would have been a Disney theme-park ride without Johnny Depp. Or something akin to Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins" with Christian Bale, a darker, moodier take on the superhero.

"Downey offered the opportunity to elevate this whole thing," Favreau says, "but to the people higher up the food chain at Marvel it represented a potential risk. And they were already taking a huge risk in putting their own money behind a movie of this size. So I think the resistance came from them not knowing if they were hiring somebody with too much history, and a decade older than they would have liked.

"Fortunately, creatively, everybody came on board. And to end all argument, Downey agreed to do a screen test," Favreau says. "As soon as everyone at Marvel saw the screen test, there was no more discussion."
Lesson to learn from this is...if you get your buddy a lead role for a movie, make sure you don't play an uninteresting side-kick (at least played by Howard) if you want to keep making bank. But I do wonder how much Howard was responsible for getting Downey the job.

Don't cry for Howard, The Best Man Holiday opened quite nicely this weekend.
Old 11-19-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Had to look this up:

"To be able to make out with Oprah, to have love scenes with her and those tig ol' bitties — she's such a lovely and voluptuous woman. ... She's very, very, very beautiful, and that was wonderful."
Old 11-19-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They ditched Norton, because he was an unconscionable ball breaker and had script approval and busted on Louis Letterier all through production.
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'd still argue that the film would have gone better with his cut. Some good deleted scenes.
As I recall, Edward Norton was actually in favor of Louis Letterier's cut but the studio wanted a shorter movie and both Norton and Letterier agreed to cut the movie down. For instance, the opening credits was derived from 45 minutes worth of flashback footage that would have played throughout the movie (a'la Batman Begins or Man Of Steel).

Also, Norton negotiated a contract where he could choose not to promote the film and bail on any sequels. That's what (in part) lead to his buddy, Mark Ruffalo, getting the role of Banner in The Avengers.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I still like Howard better then Cheadle as Rhodey
Terence Howard looks the part far more than Cheadle. However, everytime TH opens his mouth he sounds so damned effeminate that I can never take him seriously in a butch role. He's a good actor but that damn voice is really offputting.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-19-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 02:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Being easy to work with often goes farther than talent in Hollywood. There's a reason Keanu Reeve keeps getting work.
Old 11-19-13, 02:55 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Oprah does have some tig 'ol buckin' fitties.
Old 11-19-13, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Oprah does have some tig 'ol buckin' fitties.
+1
Old 11-19-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Can't we have one superhero thread that doesn't turn into a discussion about Oprah's rack?
Old 11-19-13, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Can't we have one superhero thread that doesn't turn into a discussion about Oprah's rack?
I hear her rack has been cast as both Ant Man and Wasp in the next Avengers flick ...
Old 11-19-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I hear her rack has been cast as both Ant Man and Wasp in the next Avengers flick ...
Her rack is actually two of the Infinity Gems.