Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

30 Upcoming Sequels

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

30 Upcoming Sequels

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
30 Upcoming Sequels

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1341...now_about.html

The Brazilian Job: the follow up to Paramount’s US remake of The Italian Job is still on the cards, and it’s got a 2009 release date marked. Jason Statham, Mos Def, Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron are attached, as is director F Gary Gray.

I, Robot 2: All we know on this one is that it’s in the scripting stages still, with a potential 2010 release date planned in. No news on Mr Smith's involvement.

I Am Legend 2: Warner’s huge Christmas 2007 hit could also have a follow up, although it’d be interesting to see if Will Smith returned to it. A 2010 release date is also being mooted for this one.

Beverly Hills Cop 4: If Die Hard can still do it at the box office, why can’t Axel Foley? Er, because the third BHC movie was crap, and a flop. Still, it’s not stopped development work going ahead on number four. No further news than that, though.

National Treasure 3: Not a huge surprise, but as the Nic Cage Indiana Jones knock off franchise has proved to be quite a juggernaut, you’ll only have to wait until 2011 for the third film in the series.

Cars 2: We spotted this on AintItCool – is Pixar really looking to make a sequel to its weakest film? Apparently so…

Toy Story 3: This one, after lots of umming and ahhing, appears to be a goer. It won’t, as was speculated, be a straight-to-DVD affair, and Tom Hanks and Tim Allen are both expected back on voicing duties. It’ll be out in 2010.

Jeepers Creepers 3: MGM is running the rule over a potential third instalment in the horror franchise, with director Victor Salva still attached. Hmmm.

Shrek 5: The fourth film was a no-brainer after the tepid third outing made so much cash. But a fifth instalment has also been confirmed. No wonder Shrek is the same colour as an American dollar…

Night at the Museum 2: Ben Stiller is returning for his most commercially successful role outside of the Meet the Parents franchise. We can wait. No news on the proposed Meet The Little Focker, though.

Crank 2: High Voltage: This is more like it. Crank is a guilty pleasure right up there with Snakes on a Plane, and it’s coming back for more. Shooting starts next month, for a 2009 release, and Jason Statham returns as Chev Chelios. As he should.

Transporter 3: Statham again. He’s making this too, and it’s in pre-production. Presumably, he’ll go from Crank 2 straight onto this.

Super Troopers 2: A sequel nobody asked for! Hurray! Expect it in 2010, as it’s in the early writing stages still, we believe.

Silent Hill 2: Sony is looking at a follow up to the crap-but-popular video game adaptation. 2010 is the current slated release date.

The Descent 2: We understand that Neil Marshall won’t be directed this one, which has the, er, working title of The De2cent. He’s attached as Executive Producer, with Jon Harris stepping behind the camera (he edited the first film, as well as the more recent Stardust).

The Grudge 3: Yup, it’s in pre-production now, for release next year. That’ll likely be the scariest thing about it.

Ice Age 3: 1st July 2009. That’s the date you’ll need to avoid if you want to miss the next Ice Age movie. Hopefully it’ll be better than the second one…

Ghost Rider 2: A surprise hit last year, Marvel is developing a follow-up to the Nic Cage comic book flick, and tentatively has 2009 marked for release. No director is thus far attached.

The Untouchables: Capone Rising: A prequel to Brian De Palma’s cracking prohibition thriller of, er, twenty years ago. De Palma is back behind the camera, and the project is in the pre-production stages now.

The Thomas Crown Affair 2: Weird, this. It’s taken them ages to do a sequel, and then they draft in Paul Verhoeven to direct a follow-up to someone else’s film. Pierce Brosnan returns, and filming starts shortly.

The People Under The Stairs 2: No sign of any Wes Craven involvement, though, and release may even be this year. Hmmm. We'd wager DVD will be its home.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: Er, that’s what they’ve called The Mummy 3, which is out on 1st August. Brendan Fraser and Jet Li star.

Punisher: War Zone: Ray Stevenson becomes the third person to play The Punisher on screen. You’ll be able to find out how he did on 12th September this year.

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder: Casper Van Diem is back, but it’s still going straight to DVD, as the piss-awful second film did. It’s due out later this year.

Pink Panther 2: Oh dear. And I’m a Steve Martin fan. It’s out on 13th February 2009.

Ace Ventura 3: No Jim Carrey though, and no chance of it seeing the inside of a cinema. Head to Blockbuster later in the year if you want to catch it.

War of the Worlds 2: The Next Wave: Another straight to DVD sequel, but this one’s of note because it’s directed by Soul Man/Hitcher star C Thomas Howell. Blimey.

Jurassic Park 4: It’s taken them ages to sort this out, but the latest is that Laura Dern is still attached, and that it’ll be released in 2009. Don’t hold your breath though, as shooting would need to start really very soon...

Scary Movie 5/Saw 5: You could have guessed at these if you didn’t know about them already. Both should see the light before the end of the year. Sadly.
Not really sure how they are going to have a Crank sequel, or a I am legend sequel for that matter.
Old 06-07-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This list sucks and is highly outdated.

Final Destination 4, which is not listed on here -- but slated for an early 2009 release, sounds like it could be the greatest sequel ever made based on the set reports and the crew involved.

The Grudge 3 will be a direct-to-video event that's already in post-production for a Halloween release. Can't beat a sequel featuring Judd Nelson.

Transporter 3 is being released by Lionsgate in November with Crank 2 coming out sometime early next year.

Some of those movies listed, such as The Untouchables prequel, have been DOA for a while now. Others are already in production or post.
Old 06-07-08, 03:37 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
That War of the Worlds sequel is to the "original" C. Thomas Howell sci-fi channel quality shitfest version of War of the Worlds... hence, why he is starring in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449040/
Old 06-07-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Not really sure how they are going to have a Crank sequel, or a I am legend sequel for that matter.
No joke, here is how:

Spoiler:
A Chinese Mobster or someone of the like steals his REAL heart and replaces it with some artificial heart that requires a certain amount of voltage to function.

I wish I were kidding. I liked the first one, but this seems to be a bit too much. I'll try my best to reserve judgment though.
Old 06-07-08, 04:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Super Troopers was hilarious. wouldn't mind a sequel at all.
Old 06-07-08, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of these sound really bad.
Old 06-07-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
All of these sound really bad.
Toy Story 3 won't disappoint. While I know Cars is considered the "worst" of Pixar's offerings, I think its sequel will be pretty good.
Old 06-07-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
My thoughts...

-Brazilian Job - anticipating this, I really enjoyed the Italian Job. Disappointed it's taken this long, since this has been talked about for awhile.

-I, Robot 2 - I enjoyed the first. I think i'd only be interested if Smith was back.

-I Am Legend 2 - The first was OK, but I don't really care to see the story extended.

-Beverly Hills Cop 4 - Don't care.

-National Treasure 3 - I'm down. I had fun with both of the previous ones.

-Cars 2 - I thought Cars was underrated, but I don't think this one makes sense for a sequel.

-Toy Story 3 - With everyone back, hell yeah.

-Jeepers Creepers 3 - Never saw the others.

-Shrek 5 - Didn't even know the 4th film was ready to go. I think the series has gotten weaker as it's gone on, but I enjoy all the characters enough to watch.

-Night at the Museum 2 - Never saw the first. Heard it was entertaining though.

-Crank 2: High Voltage - I'm down. Loved the first.

-Transporter 3 - A rental, but interested.

-Super Troopers 2 - Love the first movie. After a bunch of other weak outings from Broken Lizard, Beerfest was fun and I hope this brings them back all the way.

-Silent Hill 2 - Not interested, didn't watch the first.

-The Descent 2 - First was OK, but thought it was overated. Pass.

-The Grudge 3 - Not interested.

-Ice Age 3 - Never got around to watching the 2nd.

-Ghost Rider 2 - Pass, the first one was terrible and this is from someone that enjoyed Daredevil and Punisher.

-The Untouchables: Capone Rising - Been meaning to watch the original, but haven't yet.

-The Thomas Crown Affair 2 - Pass.

-The People Under The Stairs 2 - Never heard of it. Pass.

-The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - I'm down. First two were fun.

-Punisher: War Zone - I don't like that Thomas Jane is gone. I'll wait and see.

-Starship Troopers 3: Marauder - Never bothered watching the 2nd. Pass.

-Pink Panther 2 - Pass

-Ace Ventura 3 - No Carrey, Pass.

-War of the Worlds 2: The Next Wave - Pass

-Jurassic Park 4 - Mildly interested depending on the plot.

-Scary Movie 5/Saw 5 - Scary Movie no. Saw 5 yes. Even though #4 wasn't the best, I still dig the series and the story.
Old 06-07-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

30 Sequels? God help us.
Old 06-07-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
The Brazilian Job: the follow up to Paramount’s US remake of The Italian Job is still on the cards, and it’s got a 2009 release date marked. Jason Statham, Mos Def, Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron are attached, as is director F Gary Gray.
What, 'the Napster' is too busy to make a return?

I love I, Robot, but a sequel? Doesn't sound too hot to me.
Old 06-07-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Where's The Dark Knight (they included The Mummy 3 which comes out only a month later)? Fast and Furious? Some of those may never happen...
Old 06-07-08, 07:01 PM

Not a thing on that list sounds remotely interesting.
Old 06-07-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shrek 5? Jesus Christ. Shrek 2 was alright, but 3 was outright garbage. Please kill the damn franchise.
Old 06-07-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Shrek 5? Jesus Christ. Shrek 2 was alright, but 3 was outright garbage. Please kill the damn franchise.
I think the almost $800 million worldwide it made speaks more than the posting of some internet geeks. I'm sure the people the movie employs and the theater owners would be more than happy to keep the franchise alive. I'm fairly sure if you were in their shoes, you'd want to keep the franchise alive too.

I'm not saying it was a quality product... just saying that a lot of people enjoyed the movie. I can't see why it's wrong for people to have a good time at the movies just because you had a different opinion.
Old 06-07-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Where does everyone go for movie rumors?

I used to go to a place called Corona, But then that became Cineheck (at Cinescape?). And it hasn't been as good or as updated.
Old 06-07-08, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kstublen
Toy Story 3 won't disappoint. While I know Cars is considered the "worst" of Pixar's offerings, I think its sequel will be pretty good.
For me it will. Sorry, but anyone who knows me knows that I hate Disney/Pixar kids movies. Thats just me and my opinion.
I always considered myself to be one of the biggest sequel loves there could be but these sequels almost all sound unnecessary and uninspired and not worth watching. The Untouchables prequel could be good. Bev. Hills Cop 4 will only get my attention once I see the official rating. Jurassic Park 4 will only get my attention once I see the run time.
I know I could make a list of 30 sequels I would rather see than any of these.
Sequels I would like to see:
Blade 4 (It would be nice to have the franchise end on a good note.)
Washngton (Sequel to Dogville and Manderlay)
South Park 2
Gremlins 3
Simon Grim (sequel to Henry Fool and Fay Grim)
Bad Boys III
Super Mario Bros: The Movie Part 2 (I already know I'm in the minority on this one.)
Old 06-07-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want to see The Dark Knight Returns

I'd like to see Men in Black 3.
Old 06-07-08, 09:09 PM
Banned

Id also like to see a proper sequel to Stargate.
Old 06-07-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For me it will. Sorry, but anyone who knows me knows that I hate Disney/Pixar kids movies. Thats just me and my opinion.
I always considered myself to be one of the biggest sequel loves there could be but these sequels almost all sound unnecessary and uninspired and not worth watching. The Untouchables prequel could be good. Bev. Hills Cop 4 will only get my attention once I see the official rating. Jurassic Park 4 will only get my attention once I see the run time.
South Park 2
Gremlins 3
Bad Boys III
Super Mario Bros: The Movie Part 2 (I already know I'm in the minority on this one.)
I guess that makes sense if you don't like Pixar. No worries there. Most of the rest don't really interest me, especially since I am not a huge fan of sequels.

Gremlins is far superior to Gremlins 2. I would only see a Gremlins 3 if it were more reminiscent of the first movie. I could definitely go for a Blade 4. Anything South Park, and I'm there. Bad Boys II is one of times where I actually liked the sequel more than the first, so a third would be no problem. And no offense, but lol @ Super Mario Bros. Movie 2.

But since we are on the subject of what we would rather see (other than the ones you already mentioned)...

-Phone Booth: I really enjoyed the first one, and would like to see it back in some capacity, so long as Kiefer and/or Colin made a return
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy: To continue with the Hitchhiker's series, so long as the original cast returns
-Snakes On A Plane: It did suck, but it was awesome
-The Goonies: Call me crazy, but I always wanted a sequel where the gang had a reunion and had to save someone or find another treasure or something
-Shoot 'Em Up: I haven't enjoyed one of these types of films so much in a long time, and if they could keep the stunts different, then I'd be all over it
Old 06-07-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
South Park 2
Gremlins 3
Bad Boys III
And only if they're all over 2 hours!!!
Old 06-07-08, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see how some of those can have sequals at all. Stuff like I, Robot and I am Legend...how do they continue the story?
Old 06-07-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Where does everyone go for movie rumors?

I used to go to a place called Corona,
Oh wow, i hadn't heard that in yrs! I used to go there probably back in 2000... ahhh the times have changed.
Old 06-07-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Ace Ventura 3 looks like it's target at kids as the lead is 14 years old. How many kids know about Ace Ventura enough to want to see it?
Old 06-08-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by kstublen
Even considered the "worst" makes it a heck of a lot better than most movies out there.
Old 06-08-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The ones I'd see:

Final Destination 4 - All 3 are terrific fun, so I'll definitely see this. Any truth to the rumor that it will be 3-D? If so, I'm getting a chubby.

The Brazilian Job - Liked the first one, so I'm moderately anticipating this.

Beverly Hills Cop 4 - Sure, why not? And I still think III was worlds better than II.

National Treasure 3 - Haven't seen the 2nd one yet, it's in my BB queue, but I enjoyed the first.

Transporter 3 - Mindless action. Sweet. I'm there.

The Descent 2 - Interesting. I really liked the first one.

Jurassic Park 4 - FRIGGIN A. Loved the first, and totally enjoyed 2 & 3. No kids this time, please.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 06-08-08 at 12:46 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.