Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Onion Movie

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Onion Movie

I rented this yesterday and was very surprised...its funny as hell! Now, this "movie" is nothing more than an anthology of skits ala Kentucky Fried Movie, with the tiniest thread of a plot to keep things moving. Also like KFM, not every skit works. In fact, some are just terrible (like the dungeons and dragons spoof). But, considering this movie was made back in 2003, skipped theatrical release, and is just now seeing the light of day, it was pretty damn good. The majority of good skits far outweighs the bad ones imo. So here we have another 20th Century Fox film that has been screwed over by them. I didn't care for Idiocracy, but how does neither that nor this get a proper release, while they have no problem putting out a terrible Friedberg/Seltzer spoof movie every year? Bottom line, give this one a chance. Its very lowbrow, yet also smart at times, and very funny.
Old 06-04-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Your's is the only positive take on the Onion movie I've read - I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard and read from people who have (most of them are fans of the Onion books/website) is that the only funny parts are in the trailer.
Old 06-04-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have it on my Netflix queue as I've been interested in the film since production started on it nearly six years ago.

Just like Idiocracy, this is another FOX release that was never completely finished, but is getting a release to recoup losses.

It has Joel McHale in a brief role, so it can't be that bad. Joel McHale! YEAH!
Old 06-04-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hasn't this been sitting on the shelf for ages? I remember this in development in the early 2000s.. or maybe even before that.
Old 06-04-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
Hasn't this been sitting on the shelf for ages? I remember this in development in the early 2000s.. or maybe even before that.
Filming started in 2003 (I have a buddy who has a role in the flick that I don't even know is still in this "final" cut).

The crew put a rough cut together that they weren't too proud of and it tanked during the test screening process. They wanted to go back and shoot some additional segments and reshoot other material that was already shot to restructure the film, but FOX said no as they didn't want to spend any additional money on it (it was supposed to be released near the summer of 2004 under Fox Searchlight).

The directors and The Onion (the head writers at the time were the two writers of the flick) walked away and washed their hands clean of the film and it's been sitting on the shelf for over four years.
Old 06-04-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I really don't understand why it has taken so long to release this??? It made me laugh though, and if you appreciate The Onion's sense of humor, I think you will enjoy this (my expectations were very low so that probably helped too).
Old 06-04-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Yeah I really don't understand why it has taken so long to release this??? It made me laugh though, and if you appreciate The Onion's sense of humor, I think you will enjoy this (my expectations were very low so that probably helped too).
the movie stinks.
it was filmed so long ago that Rodney Dangerfield was still alive.
he's in the film, very briefly.
3 question marks still won't help you understand any better.

the very few scenes of good satire doesn't save this movie.

Oh and I'd e completely amazed if Sarah McElligott didnt sleep with someone to get nearly half of the runtime of this film on screen.

Last edited by whotony; 06-04-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
the movie stinks.
it was filmed so long ago that Rodney Dangerfield was still alive.
he's in the film, very briefly.
3 question marks still won't help you understand any better.

the very few scenes of good satire doesn't save this movie.

Oh and I'd e completely amazed if Sarah McElligott didnt sleep with someone to get nearly half of the runtime of this film on screen.
It isn't a "good" movie by traditional standards, but it made me laugh and I enjoyed it.
Old 06-05-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i get that, really if a movie entertains then for you it was good.
Old 06-05-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If a movie entertains me, I would say I enjoyed it, not necessarily that it is good.
Old 06-05-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I blame the fact that Americans are too dumb to understand this movie.
Old 06-05-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yea ok that must be it.
Old 06-05-08, 12:31 PM

Yeah, "Cockpuncher" is pretty subtle
Old 06-05-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The movie had a few funny parts but overall it was kinda weak. The Onion works way better as a satire in print than a parody on film. That Britney Spears parody lasted wayy too long for a movie released in 2007(or 2008?). Cockpuncher was funny though.
Old 06-09-08, 11:44 PM

I don't think I've laughed as hard as I did at the "Me no rikey" line. Overall, I actually liked it, I do agree the spears/cockpunch thing was a bit too long, but I laughed throughout.
Old 06-09-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only rented it to watch the Cockpuncher bit. unfortunately the whole bit was in the trailer pretty much.
Old 06-10-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by project86
I don't think I've laughed as hard as I did at the "Me no rikey" line. Overall, I actually liked it, I do agree the spears/cockpunch thing was a bit too long, but I laughed throughout.
Very funny line. I think Fox missed the boat on this one, big time. One bad test screening and they just abandon it?? This is the kind of movie that should have been test screened around various college campuses. The reaction would have been much better.
Old 06-10-08, 03:21 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There were a handful of funny bits that had a Kentucky Fried Movie type feel -- I really enjoyed the Armed Gun Man piece -- but the majority of it just fell flat. The wraparound story was especially horrible... they should've just omitted it entirely.