Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tim Burton developing "Dark Shadows"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tim Burton developing "Dark Shadows"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't think Burton could make a Sweeney Todd movie work, and he did, so maybe he'll surprise me with this one.
Old 02-15-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Tim Burton developing "Dark Shadows"

Michelle Pfeiffer in Talks to Reteam With Tim Burton for 'Dark Shadows'
Role would cast her opposite Johnny Depp in Warner Bros’ big-screen take on the 1960s gothic vampire TV soap opera.
12:03 PM 2/15/2011 by Borys Kit

Michelle Pfeiffer is in negotiations to reteam with Tim Burton for Dark Shadows, Warner Bros’ big-screen take on the 1960s gothic vampire TV soap opera starring Johnny Depp.

The movie has an April start and has been casting up, with Jackie Earle Haley, Eva Green and Bella Heatcote already on board.

Depp will portray Barnabas Collins, a self-loathing vampire living in a Maine manor who is searching for his lost love.

Pfeiffer would play Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, the reclusive matriarch of the Collins family which runs the Maine town. The character has not left the mansion since the disappearance of her husband a decade earlier.

Pfeiffer is finding herself very much in demand this new year. The actress is juggling a role in New Line’s all-star New Year’s Eve and is shooting Welcome to People, the directorial debut of scribe Alex Kurtzman.

The last time she worked with Burton was in 1992’s Batman Returns where she memorably played Catwoman.

Pfeiffer is repped by CAA and Management 360.
Old 02-15-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll check it out, but my expectations for a Burton film have dropped significantly over the last few years.
Old 02-15-11, 03:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be more interested if he didn't cast Johnny Depp for the 999,999th time.
Old 02-15-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet 06-02-08 08:59 PM
I loooove Dark Shadows. This sounds great!
Originally Posted by Suprmallet 02-15-11 04:03 PM
Only 2-3 years to turn on it?
Old 02-15-11, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol...........
Old 02-15-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Only 2-3 years to turn on it?
Well, Depp in "Alice in Wonderland" could have had something to do with it. I know it did me. Usually a huge fan, but I hated him in that movie. Not that it was a great film in the first place (it wasn't). But he was the worst part IMO. Just way too over the top. Please Tim, don't go off the rails for this one.
Old 02-15-11, 07:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, Alice In Wonderland was so bad that it made me want to throw Tim Burton off of a tall building. Not only that, but he has a tendency to let Depp coast (Sweeney Todd being the one exception).
Old 02-16-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
No shit. Come on, Burton, there are other actors out there who would love a job, who are just as talented, if not more, than Johnny Depp. Can you guys stop sucking each other's dicks for just a few minutes and give someone else a chance? Please?
Old 05-18-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'Dark Shadows' Starts Production, Plot Synopsis Revealed

"Dark Shadows" fans, shooting on Tim Burton's adaptation of the cult classic television series is officially underway.

Warner Bros. announced the start of filming in a press release issued today, revealing that the Johnny Depp-starring thriller will shoot entirely in England both on location and at the legendary Pinewood Studios. More over, the press release offers a detailed look at the story Burton and Depp have cooked up for us — and as we uncovered in our earlier conversation with Eva Green, the movie does indeed take place in the 1970s!

In case there is someone who doesn't know the synopsis

Spoiler:
In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. But even an ocean was not enough to escape the mysterious curse that has plagued their family. Two decades pass and Barnabas (Johnny Depp) has the world at his feet—or at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy…until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Brouchard (Eva Green). A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive.

Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972. He returns to Collinwood Manor to find that his once-grand estate has fallen into ruin. The dysfunctional remnants of the Collins family have fared little better, each harboring their own dark secrets. Matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer) has called upon live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman (Helena Bonham Carter), to help with her family troubles.

Also residing in the manor is Elizabeth's ne'er-do-well brother, Roger Collins (Jonny Lee Miller); her rebellious teenage daughter Carolyn Stoddard (Chloe Moretz); and Roger's precocious 10-year-old son, David Collins (Gulliver McGrath). The mystery extends beyond the family, to caretaker Willie Loomis, played by Jackie Earle Haley, and David's new nanny, Victoria Winters, played by Bella Heathcote.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/05/18...is/#more-59091
Old 05-19-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds promising. Depp sounds good. Who would play Angelique?
Old 05-19-11, 01:01 AM
Banned

Jesus...another Burton and Depp film. Oh and Carter too. Hope it works out, story seems interesting. I just get tired of being shoved w/ Burton's imagery that has become cliched now.
Old 05-19-11, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How exactly are they adapting this to the big screen? Sure there are plenty of filler episodes during the original's 1200+ episode run, but what part of the story are they focusing on here?
Old 05-19-11, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

The story outline is in the spoiler above. For any fans of the show, it's basically the 1795 origin of Barnabas/Angelique and then flips ahead to a modern setting for the last 2 acts. But 'modern' here means set in the 70's.

I've always given props to Burton as a production designer- but as a storyteller, I've never liked him.
But as a DS fan, this sounds very intriguing- especially with the kick-ass cast assembled. Eva Green, on paper at least, seems an inspired choice for Angelique. And Pheiffer in the role Joan Bennett had, and Jackie Haley for Willie Loomis? Very interesting! I wonder if there will be a Victoria Winters in this take?
Depp is over-exposed to me, as is Bonham Carter in another dark supporting character role- so that tempers my interest somewhat.

But then the 70's setting kicks it right back up.

At the very least, it will be great to finally get the original DS films on Blu-ray in conjunction with this.
Old 05-19-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by mike45
Sounds promising. Depp sounds good. Who would play Angelique?
The spoiler says Eva Green.
Old 05-20-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The story outline is in the spoiler above. For any fans of the show, it's basically the 1795 origin of Barnabas/Angelique and then flips ahead to a modern setting for the last 2 acts. But 'modern' here means set in the 70's.

I've always given props to Burton as a production designer- but as a storyteller, I've never liked him.
But as a DS fan, this sounds very intriguing- especially with the kick-ass cast assembled. Eva Green, on paper at least, seems an inspired choice for Angelique. And Pheiffer in the role Joan Bennett had, and Jackie Haley for Willie Loomis? Very interesting! I wonder if there will be a Victoria Winters in this take?
Depp is over-exposed to me, as is Bonham Carter in another dark supporting character role- so that tempers my interest somewhat.

But then the 70's setting kicks it right back up.

At the very least, it will be great to finally get the original DS films on Blu-ray in conjunction with this.
I agree both are overexposed and Bonham Carter constantly working in her husband's movies gets on my nerves but I think she is a good choice for Julia.
Old 05-20-11, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's 2011 now we've had enough vampire movies.
Old 05-20-11, 02:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by john9
I think I should give it a shot/go!
Burton has had many shots and until he gets out of his crutch of comfort w/ Depp (w/ Carter as well) and his (now more so) cliche as hell style...I'll observe from the sideline but don't expect to just jump in. He hasn't really grown as a filmmaker and is pretty predictable. I like some of his work but at some point...this guy has to change it up more often.
Old 05-20-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked what he did with Sleepy Hollow so I hope he can do the same with Dark Shadows.
Old 05-20-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a mixture of high curiosity and low expectations. I'm keeping in mind that neither the two DS movies or the short-lived TV reboot had much charm (IMHO) compared to the "real" show... I've watched the complete run countless times and will probably continue to slow-cycle through the 1200+ eps as long as I live... At worst this'll be just another footnote to the great original.

If any of the new details bug me so far, its that they've recast Caroline Stoddard as a child, but whatever. I look forward to seeing Depp dressed up in Barnabas drag in spite of myself.
Old 05-21-11, 03:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It's 2011 now we've had enough vampire movies.
Not the old Universal Pictures & Hammer Films type of vampire movies.
Old 05-21-11, 05:44 AM
Banned

He said we've enough fucking vampire movies. Emphasis on vampire...not so much fucking...or fucking vampires...though...Bellucci was a very good looking creature of such a variety.

I'll admit that deep down I like the idea of what a vampire is and what stories can come from it...the problem w/ people is that that vampire factor becomes a big interest and all of a sudden they want more cuz they like what they see over what it actually is. That want leads to quantity produced items than quality produced items. I don't doubt though that most want to produce a quality story but at the core..that film is pretty much being sold on one thing...vampire. I'm not a big vampire movie fan. Very few actually capture my attention. I am tired of the craze though. Very few quality films come from that subgenre (or whatever you want to call it).
Old 05-21-11, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I remember when the TV show was on, but I don't remember ever watching a complete episode. I did see the two movie spin-offs in theaters, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (1970) and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS (1971). I remember liking HOUSE, but not NIGHT. I'm not a fan of Burton or Depp. The only Burton movies I've liked were PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE, BATMAN and ED WOOD. I've always found Depp overrated. So I don't have much interest in this new film.

I think Burton has extraordinary imagination, but he's guilty of some form of excess in most of his films even when he tackles a subject I care about (e.g. MARS ATTACKS). I'd love to see him focus on a more conventional action genre, e.g. a Walter Hill-style contemporary crime thriller. (The Pee Wee film and first Batman film point to the kind of thing I'm talking about.) He'd have to use someone else's pre-existing script, something based on an Elmore Leonard novel, for instance, and employ a cast entirely made up of people he's never worked with before. Think JACKIE BROWN. I think those would be interesting challenges for Burton. (I'd actually prefer such a film from Walter Hill, but he doesn't seem to be working much these days.)
Old 05-21-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul1957
I liked what he did with Sleepy Hollow.
My all-time favorite Burton film.
Old 05-30-11, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No 3D:

“I have no plans for [3D]. I loved doing “Alice” in 3D. Frankeweenie, gonna do that in 3D. There’s people like, ‘Everything’s gonna be in 3D,’ or ‘I hate 3D!’ I think people should have a choice. I don’t think it should be forced on anybody. At the same time, it’s great, some of it.”

Burton spoke to The Wrap about the tone he’s chasing on Dark Shadows:

“It’s been hard to kind of come here because I’m just starting, and it’s a weird tone and it’s a lot of actors and, you know, we’re not starting with the simple stuff; we’re sort of getting right in there. You like to kind of sneak up on it a little bit, but this one we just kind of slammed right into it…

I’m early into it because it’s a funny tone, and that’s part of what the vibe of the show is, and there’s something about it that we want to get. But when you look at it, it’s pretty bad. I’m hoping that it will be — it’s early days, let’s put it — I’m very intrigued by the tone. It’s a real ethereal tone we’re trying to go for and I don’t know yet.”

http://collider.com/tim-burton-dark-shadows-3d/93723/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.