Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ninja Assassin (2009) - James McTeigue, Wachowskis (Rain, Sho Kosugi, Naomie Harris)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ninja Assassin (2009) - James McTeigue, Wachowskis (Rain, Sho Kosugi, Naomie Harris)

Old 11-03-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Ninja Assassin (2009) - James McTeigue, Wachowskis (Rain, Sho Kosugi, Naomie Harr

I know it's gonna have bad CGI, but it's a studio flick about ninjas, man. A fucking ninja movie! I have to check it out.
Old 11-03-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Ninja Assassin (2009) - James McTeigue, Wachowskis (Rain, Sho Kosugi, Naomie Harr

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I know it's gonna have bad CGI, but it's a studio flick about ninjas, man. A fucking ninja movie! I have to check it out.
Indeed. I don't think I've seen ninjas in a movie since Last Samurai and that almost made my balls explode from how awesome it was. I'll be there opening weekend.
Old 11-03-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That CGI sickle that they kept flinging at the screen looked terrible.

Unless the early reviews are terrible I'll check this out.
Old 11-03-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I'll be checking this one out, it looks fun.
Old 11-03-09, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm in for this.

It's not too often that you see a major studio like WB produce a martial arts flick.

BTW, I read several months ago that Rain was in negotiations to star in the new Enter the Dragon remake that is being written and directed by Kurt Sutter, the creator of Sons of Anarchy.
NO. NO NO NO NO. You don't remake that film. WTF.
Old 11-03-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
NO. NO NO NO NO. You don't remake that film. WTF.
Oh, please. If it wasn't for Bruce Lee's sudden death, Enter the Dragon would be remembered for what it is: a by-the-numbers B-movie (albeit a pretty entertaining one).
Old 11-03-09, 09:30 PM
Banned

You're saying even if he lived it wouldn't be remembered? The man changed martial arts cinema. I think it'd be relevant. And yeah, it's not the most original of flicks but it's a damn fine flick for what it is.
Old 11-11-09, 11:22 PM
Banned

Here's some clips..doesn't really make me want to see the flick...I still might see this flick..Ninja flicks are truly a low number now.

<object width="450" height="242"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/15912"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/15912" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="242" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="450" height="242"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/15915"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/15915" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="242" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="450" height="242"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/15914"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/15914" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="242" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="450" height="242"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/15913"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/15913" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="242" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 11-24-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Thought I would give a bump as it is released tomorrow. I have to say that while I think the movie will be a fun ride, it is definitely not releasing at the best time to be success given its nature. I think it might have been a better idea to release it either in early October or March, but not at a time when audiences crave family fare.
Old 11-24-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I think it will be successful. A lot of my friends and co-workers are excited for it.
Old 11-24-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Massawyrm posted his review over at AICN: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43188

Doesn't sound promising at all. But I still want to see it for myself.
Old 11-24-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

No matter what the reviews are for this, i'm already sold. I'm definitely going this weekend even if I have to pay my girlfriend back in chick flicks.
Old 11-24-09, 05:42 PM
Banned

Well to be honest doesn't she owe you for all those crappy chick flicks? cuz so very few of them are good.
Old 11-24-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it. Shitty dialogue. Thin plot. Piles of gore and CG blood. Great action sequences. A lot more violent than I had anticipated.
Old 11-25-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it tonight at the midnight release.

Tons of blood. Buckets of it. It's very ugly CGI looking blood though. Horrible looking. But lots of it.

The plot is laughable, but this isn't a plot driven movie. The action scenes were very cool.

This is definitely the bloodiest movie I've seen since Rambo.

I'd give it 3/5 stars.
Old 11-25-09, 10:55 AM

Sounds like we're on the same page.
Old 11-25-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does the movie look cool and stlylized like speed racer?
Old 11-25-09, 12:16 PM

Not really, apart from a couple of the action sequences. Even those seem to take place in the real world.
Old 11-25-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it this morning, and agree with all of the above. I was sceptical of all the CGI, but it didn't do too much damage. Very gory, extremely bloody, some really dumb character stuff, but overall very entertaining. Rain is a nice martial artist and I'd like to see him in a less pixelated environment. A solid 3 stars out of 5.
Old 11-25-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

An entertaining fair fim. It would have been nice to hear Rain say a bit more dialogue since he does have an interesting voice. I can't believe the director did this film after such a good V For Vendetta. There was not one memorable visual scene in this flick.
Old 11-26-09, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it tonight. Not bad.

There are problems with it, such as the fact that Hollywood continues to employ camera operators and editors with ADD, and how after a couple of GREAT gory scenes at the beginning it becomes some sort of political thriller albeit BORING. The ending also featured a hilariously unrealistic moment that I actually said out loud, "Oh, come on." The CGI blood isn't a problem, nor is it how ridiculous it is. When your movie has the word "ninja" in the title, don't expect Scorsese. But god, when you get ninja action, it's fucking bloody and pretty damn cool. In the first 5 minutes a dude gets his head split in half HORIZONTALLY, and there's a dude who gets pegged in enough blood stains on his white outfit from stars and swords that Sam Peckinpah probably jizzed in his grave. A strong **1/2 out of 4, or ***.

On the other hand, fuck 2012.
Old 11-26-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Saw it tonight. Not bad.

There are problems with it, such as the fact that Hollywood continues to employ camera operators and editors with ADD, and how after a couple of GREAT gory scenes at the beginning it becomes some sort of political thriller albeit BORING. The ending also featured a hilariously unrealistic moment that I actually said out loud, "Oh, come on." The CGI blood isn't a problem, nor is it how ridiculous it is. When your movie has the word "ninja" in the title, don't expect Scorsese. But god, when you get ninja action, it's fucking bloody and pretty damn cool. In the first 5 minutes a dude gets his head split in half HORIZONTALLY, and there's a dude who gets pegged in enough blood stains on his white outfit from stars and swords that Sam Peckinpah probably jizzed in his grave. A strong **1/2 out of 4, or ***.

On the other hand, fuck 2012.
Your screen name invokes Peckinpah and you referenced Peckinpah in your post. I like that.
Old 11-26-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm afraid to see this after the ass kicking its getting by critics and audiences alike. I wanted this to be so good
Old 11-26-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw it and hated it. It had 1 good fight scene (Ryzo vs big british dude in bathroom). The rest of the action scenes where so dark you could hardly tell whats going on. The trailers fail to mention that a lot of the movie is spen with a hot black woman trying to uncover the secret behind government purchased assassinations. It's like they were too afraid to make ninjas the main characters. The dialouge is awful. CGI blood is really awful. I just wanted to like the film so much more.
Old 11-26-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw it and thought it was very good entertainment. Bad movie? Absolutely, but very fun and enjoyable. The dialogue and acting is really cheesy. But as a guilty pleasure it definitely delivers the goods!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.