Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024, D: Molloy) S: Murphy -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024, D: Molloy) S: Murphy -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
re: Beverly Hills Cop 4 (D: El Arbi & Fallah) S: Murphy

DOA...just like Murphy's movie career.
Old 06-14-16, 04:25 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
re: Beverly Hills Cop 4 (D: El Arbi & Fallah) S: Murphy

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount has set Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to direct its long awaited fourth installment of the Beverly Hills Cop series. The Belgian writer-directors are best known for their edgy drama Black, which won the Discovery Award at the Toronto Film Festival last year. The studio, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Eddie Murphy have been working diligently to get the script and elements right for a film that had been once been slated to be released this year. They loved Black, and when they met with the filmmakers, they were charmed to discover how important the original Beverly Hills Cop was to them. Even though this is a major step up from the budget of their last film, this became an opportunity to reframe a venerable franchise with youthful energy. They will direct a script by writers Josh Appelbaum & Andre Nemec that will bring Murphy’s street smart cop character Axel Foley back to his Detroit origins. It is gritty with the trademark irreverent humor that powered the first three films to north of $735 million in global box office.

The directing duo made a splash in Toronto with Black, a Romeo & Juliet story about a 15-year-old girl in a black gang in Brussels who must choose between loyalty and love when she falls for a Moroccan boy from a rival gang. El Arbi is a Brussels-based filmmaker of Moroccan heritage who studied at the Luca School of Arts in Brussels and directed the short film Broeders and the feature Image both with Fallah. He is also of Moroccan heritage and also studied at the Luca School of Arts in Brussels. Broeders won the best Flemish student short film at the Ghent International Film Festival and the audience award at the Leuven International Film Festival.

The hope is to get the film in production late this year or early 2017. Murphy next stars in the Bruce Beresford-directed Mr. Church, with Britt Robertson. Mark Canton and Courtney Solomon produced and the pic will be released in September by Cinelou.

The filmmakers are repped by CAA, Management 360 and Belgian agent Ken Lambrechts.
http://deadline.com/2016/06/beverly-...nt-1201772591/
Old 06-14-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
re: Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley (2024. D: Molloy) S: Murphy -- Netflix

Anybody here see their movie Black?
Old 06-14-16, 06:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This is about 15 years too late. And they couldn't even get the TV show off the ground. This won't have a chance. Honestly though, I'd like to be wrong. Eddie Murphy was great in this role.
Old 06-14-16, 09:32 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

If Trump is elected the deal is dead. Those directors will be about as welcome around Beverly Hills as Axl in the first film.
Old 06-14-16, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Eddie Murphy has made 8 sequels in his career, and I don't think any of them are worth a damn. Beverly Hills Cop 3 was especially terrible. I wish they would just let this thing die.
Old 06-14-16, 10:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

BHC2 was good. Not as good as the first, but I thought it was a decent follow up. Other than that, I can't think of any sequel of his that's good. Still holding hope for Bowfinger 2: Still Getting Fingered.
Old 06-14-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Shrek sequels were decent.
Old 10-01-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Eddie Murphy on ‘Beverly Hills Cop 4’ and Returning to ‘Saturday Night Live’ in December

“Yeah that’s what we’re doing after Coming to America 2. We’re doing Beverly Hills Cop and then the plan is to get back on stage and do standup. That’s what I’ll be doing mostly is standup. These movies and Saturday Night Live it’s kind of like…I’m looking at it as a bookend. If I decided I wanted to stay on the couch forever, I ended it on a funny note.”

While Beverly Hills Cop 4 has been talked about on and off again for many years, it really seems like this time it’s going to happen.

Eddie Murphy on Beverly Hills Cop 4 and Returning to SNL | Collider
Old 10-01-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I remember liking Beverly Hills Cop III quite a bit when it was first released. I just rewatched it a couple months ago and holy shit it’s terrible.

I wanted to go back in time and kick my 14 year old self in the balls for thinking it was good.

If part 4 is more BHC 1 and less BHC 3, I’ll watch.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 10-01-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Yeah, BHC 3 was always shit. I was 16 when it came out, saw it in the theater, and hated it right away.
Old 10-01-19, 07:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
If Trump is elected the deal is dead. Those directors will be about as welcome around Beverly Hills as Axl in the first film.
I can’t decide how I feel about this comment. Guilty. Sad. Embarrassed.
Old 10-02-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll believe BHC4 is happening when cameras are rolling...and maybe not even then. Was the pilot he shot for the TV version ever released anywhere online? I'd love to see that.
Old 10-02-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

BHC II is one of my all time favorite Eddie Murphy movies. You guys are so right about three, it's awful. I don't see how they could do a 4th. That ship sailed many years ago.
Old 10-02-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
This is about 15 years too late. And they couldn't even get the TV show off the ground. This won't have a chance. Honestly though, I'd like to be wrong. Eddie Murphy was great in this role.
I agree. The whole fish-out-of-water concept of the original was fresh in 1984 but in today's information age of seeing images and attitudes of the very wealthy, it's no longer a novelty or even much of a contrast anymore.

I guess if they just make a straight-forward cop film with a Beverly Hills setting, it could be passable. If they have Eddie Murphy still driving that crappy blue Chevy Nova with the wonky e-brake, at least that would be good for one laugh.
Old 10-03-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

So much wasted potential for a Coming to America/Beverly Hills Cop Crossover. He likes to wear makeup so why not? Take the plot of CTA II add the murder of his kid he is looking for-BOOM!!!
Old 10-03-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Eddie's attempting a Stallone-style comeback by returning to what made him famous... I mean, I don't see what harm this movie could do. BHC3 didn't exactly send the franchise out on top. I'll see it, but don't have high hopes for it unless Murphy suddenly finds his comedy again. He hasn't been funny in years.
Old 10-03-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

He hasn't been funny in years.
Agreed. Once he went PG-13 in film that's when he stopped being funny.
Old 10-04-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

How many times is Axel going to find himself in a situation that requires traveling to Beverly Hills? Why can't he have an adventure somewhere else? (Some new place that's not accustomed to his brand of Detroit police work?) Seems to me this franchise lost its freshness with the first sequel and blew a big opportunity for a series of unique adventures.
Old 10-07-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rennervision
How many times is Axel going to find himself in a situation that requires traveling to Beverly Hills? Why can't he have an adventure somewhere else? (Some new place that's not accustomed to his brand of Detroit police work?) Seems to me this franchise lost its freshness with the first sequel and blew a big opportunity for a series of unique adventures.
When Brett Ratner was going to make BHC4, I believe the bulk of the movie WAS set in Detroit, with a cop coming from Beverly Hills to help him on a case (hence, "Beverly Hills Cop" would still be a valid title). But that script has been 86'd as far as I know.
Old 10-07-19, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I always thought there were parts of BH3 that weren't bad ideas, but Eddie just wasn't all that funny in it, and no John Ashton kind of killed it altogether. I have no idea how a fourth movie nearly twenty years later would be a good idea.
Old 10-07-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I had high-hopes for Beverly Hills Cop 3 after being disappointed by II especially since it was directed by John Landis who was always very good at directing comedies with elaborate action scenes.

I haven't seen the film since it was in theatres in '94 but the only stand-out memory I have is the very last scene where all three of the cops, Murphy included, are bandaged-up and sitting in wheelchairs. In almost all action movies we would see the action hero take a bullet in the arm or leg which would do no more damage than a paper-cut. It was completely fresh and original to see them all banged-up after the final shoot-out.
Old 10-08-19, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I had high-hopes for Beverly Hills Cop 3 after being disappointed by II especially since it was directed by John Landis who was always very good at directing comedies with elaborate action scenes.

I haven't seen the film since it was in theatres in '94 but the only stand-out memory I have is the very last scene where all three of the cops, Murphy included, are bandaged-up and sitting in wheelchairs. In almost all action movies we would see the action hero take a bullet in the arm or leg which would do no more damage than a paper-cut. It was completely fresh and original to see them all banged-up after the final shoot-out.

I've mentioned this in a thread a long, long time ago, but Adam West was originally going to play "Uncle Dave" in BHC3 until he started going around in his public appearances not only telling everyone he was going to be in the film, but basically giving away the whole plot. If West played the character, he was going to be much more involved in the shoot-outs, etc., and I remember West saying that at the end of the film, he and Murphy were going to be covered in bandages from all the injuries.

I don't know if it would have been a better movie with West, but it might have been a more memorable "bad" movie.
Old 11-14-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/11/beverly...al-1202785458/

It's official

Greenlit as Netflix original movie with option for 5th movie.
Old 11-14-19, 08:06 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
Re: Beverly Hills Cop 4 (D: El Arbi & Fallah) S: Murphy

Smart move.

EXCLUSIVE: Beverly Hills Cop Axel Foley will come back to active duty…for Netflix. Paramount has made a one-time license deal — with an option for a sequel — that will enable Netflix to make the fourth installment of the film with Eddie Murphy and producer Jerry Bruckheimer. The studio had been developing a reboot for awhile. It is another example of studios striking inventive deals with Netflix at a time when long gestating sequels like The Shining followup Doctor Sleep, The Terminator: Dark Fate and Zombieland: Double Tap have been hard pressed to measure up to the grosses of their predecessors, with at least two of them in line to lose money because of the high cost of P&A.

This deal gives Netflix a sexy title with a big star and it gives Paramount an opportunity to reap revenue on a library title. Paramount launched the franchise in 1984 with the Martin Brest original, followed by a Tony Scott-directed second installment in 1987 and a third by John Landis in 1994.

This is the third deal between Paramount and Netflix after the streamer acquired Cloverfield: God Particle, which it launched with a surprise Super Bowl spot and a release after the 2018 game and acquired offshore rights on the Alex Garland-directed Annihilation with Natalie Portman, 17 days after its U.S. release by Paramount. Netflix made a similar deal with New Line when it took foreign on last year’s Shaft. All of those deals were for finished films; Netflix will work with Murphy and Bruckheimer to get a scripts and director and finance the Beverly Hills Cop reboot and release it on the streaming service.

It strengthens Netflix’s relationship with Murphy. Netflix’s hot new movie title has Murphy starring in the critically lauded Dolemite Is My Name, playing self made blaxploitation star Rudy Ray Moore. Murphy has also been in discussions to return to the stand up stage for Netflix for the first time since the 1980s, when he catapulted from Saturday Night Live to become one of the world’s biggest movie and stand up stage stars.

Paramount, in turn has Murphy starring in another sequel of one of his beloved characters, Prince Akeem in Coming To America.

Paramount has attempted numerous iterations of Beverly Hills Cop over the past few years, including an attempted TV series that Murphy was going to star in, but which never quite made it to the start line.

This sounds like a better landing place for Axel Foley.
https://deadline.com/2019/11/beverly...mpression=true

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.