Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I've had enough of this new French horror crap (VENT)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I've had enough of this new French horror crap (VENT)

Old 05-24-08, 02:21 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,298
Nu-horror (edited version of French horror rant)

I watched Frontier(s) last night and that's my last fucking straw. I am SICK of this new slate of dreck like High Tension, Them (Ils)... These films all strike me as training reels for French hacks who want to move to Hollywood (where, of course, the directors of the aforementioned titles made their followups).

My impression of Frontier(s) was: "This is what would happen if Michael Bay directed Salo."

Should I even bother watching my unopened copy of Inside or just sell it?

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 05-24-08 at 09:31 AM.
Living Deadpan is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 02:43 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Sorry you're not a fan but I really liked High Tension, Frontier(s), and Inside. I thought Them (Ils) was just OK, but still watchable. I don't exactly understand hatred when there is so much worse crap calling itself horror coming from America these days.

I'm sure the fad will die out though. Just like the J-horror trend they will make several good/original films, a few decent US remakes will be made (like The Ring and The Grudge), endless bad unoriginal films will copy the same formula, and then even worse US remakes will put the nail in the coffin.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 04:56 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I don't exactly understand hatred when there is so much worse crap calling itself horror coming from America these days.
Because I don't even bother to watch the American crap (out of sight, out of mind), doesn't affect me. The French crap, however, I've had hopes for. Thus, I've actually watched them, and the direct encounter is much more immediate.
Living Deadpan is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 05:37 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Because I don't even bother to watch the American crap (out of sight, out of mind), doesn't affect me. The French crap, however, I've had hopes for. Thus, I've actually watched them, and the direct encounter is much more immediate.
Well, I guess now you know you should stay away from French horror as well. What do you consider good horror?
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 06:15 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I watched Frontier(s) last night and that's my last fucking straw. I am SICK of this new slate of dreck like High Tension, Them (Ils)... As a cult horror fan I try to give them a chance, and I'm fooled into checking them out because critics & audiences are fooled into elevating derivative & sado-stylistic crap on the mere basis that it's "French". These films all strike me as training reels for French hacks who want to move to Hollywood (where, of course, the directors of the aforementioned titles made their followups). They're "double-generation derivative", inspired by the likes of the not-exactly-original Saw and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake.

My impression of Frontier(s) was: "This is what would happen if Michael Bay directed Salo."

Should I even bother watching my unopened copy of Inside or just sell it?

(don't get pissed off if you like these films, I just need to vent)
What hell are you talking about with "Them"? That wasn't violent at all. It was more suspense/thriller than horror.

Also, High Tension was made before "Saw" and the "Texas Chainsaw" remake ever hit theaters, so it definitely wasn't inspired by them.

Last edited by Seantn; 05-24-08 at 06:44 AM.
Seantn is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 07:22 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
I liked Inside better than the others mentioned.
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 08:03 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Well, I guess now you know you should stay away from French horror as well. What do you consider good horror?
Well I don't want to answer in terms of "good/bad" (I'm not out to pit my favs against the least-favs), but to humbly acknowledge my preferences:

Alien, The Thing (1982), Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead, Suspiria, The Beyond, The Wicker Man, From Beyond, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)... stuff by Bava/Fulci/Argento, David Cronenberg... classic silent films, especially German Expressionism, and some of the old Gothic classics.

(sigh) It's not just the French. Frontier(s) just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back. It really bums me out that instead of original, imaginative works like Delicatessen & The City of Lost Children, I see these films instead competing with the negative trend of American horror that's the whole reason I've grown woefully discouraged with the genre as of late. If you wanna make an alcohol analogy, I put on these films hoping for native absinthe, but instead get a keg of American beer with a French label plastered over the top.

The only recent horror film that truly engaged me was The Mist...until the out-of-place ending (which is a whole new topic unto itself that I believe has been covered ad nauseam). Oh, I almost forgot, I also liked The Descent.

Anyway, yes, it would be wise for me to continue checking out the older films that DVD has unearthed.

Good day.

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 05-24-08 at 08:10 AM. Reason: to add another title
Living Deadpan is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 08:08 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted by Seantn
What hell are you talking about with "Them"? That wasn't violent at all. It was more suspense/thriller than horror.
My main issue isn't violence, it's the overall style and lack of originality. Them I despised for its Shyamalan-esque "twist". (Signs meets Gummo?)
Living Deadpan is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 08:24 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Well I don't want to answer in terms of "good/bad" (I'm not out to pit my favs against the least-favs), but to humbly acknowledge my preferences:

Alien, The Thing (1982), Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead, Suspiria, The Beyond, The Wicker Man, From Beyond, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)... stuff by Bava/Fulci/Argento, David Cronenberg... classic silent films, especially German Expressionism, and some of the old Gothic classics.

(sigh) It's not just the French. Frontier(s) just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back. It really bums me out that instead of original, imaginative works like Delicatessen & The City of Lost Children, I see these films instead competing with the negative trend of American horror that's the whole reason I've grown woefully discouraged with the genre as of late. If you wanna make an alcohol analogy, I put on these films hoping for native absinthe, but instead get a keg of American beer with a French label plastered over the top.

The only recent horror film that truly engaged me was The Mist...until the out-of-place ending (which is a whole new topic unto itself that I believe has been covered ad nauseam). Oh, I almost forgot, I also liked The Descent.

Anyway, yes, it would be wise for me to continue checking out the older films that DVD has unearthed.

Good day.
Well, I liked every one of the movies you mentioned (several are in my top 10 favorite movies) AND I liked the ones you seem to hate. I guess I'm glad everyone doesn't share your opinion.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 09:12 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,812
Frontier(s)? Never heard of it.
The Bus is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 09:37 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Well, I liked every one of the movies you mentioned (several are in my top 10 favorite movies) AND I liked the ones you seem to hate. I guess I'm glad everyone doesn't share your opinion.
Just checked out your DVDSpot and dug your collection. How's that copy of The Devils? I saw it at HKflix but heard the sound/image quality has lots to be desired.

I'm glad everyone doesn't share my opinion, too. I'm a miserable bastard. At least the most miserable bastard to have the Babe "Family Fun Pack" in his DVD collection.
Living Deadpan is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 09:41 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Originally Posted by The Bus
Frontier(s)? Never heard of it.
Well if the film's distributors were smart, they would implement some effective advertising campaign to make us all aware.
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 10:02 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,273
French horror has recently become 80s american horror, and it's pleasing a lot of people. It's gory, violent, and fun to watch. Don't like the genre? Move along.

Delicatessen and City of Lost Children aren't part of the same genre and shouldn't be mentioned as if they are, plus, that's 2 movies over the course of about 17 years (well they were done about 4 years apart, but you get the idea), by the same director.

As it were, a lot of the current generation french filmmakers grew up watching American horror movies, so it isn't much of a surprise - Horror/Slashers seems to be the low budget filmmakers genre of choice. But that aside, you should already know going in what to expect with it.

and Them (Ils) didn't really have a plot twist, and wasn't a good movie.

Argento always came off as overpraised to me.

And with all that rambling goodness, did you at least watch Atomik Circus? (A movie I haven't seen but is generally recommended). And from the sounds of it, you're a fan of the more suspenseful genre of horror, which the movies you've covered aren't - and they aren't advertised as such. Go check out [REC], if you can find it.

What was your impression with A Tale of Two Sisters?

Last edited by RichC2; 05-24-08 at 10:21 AM.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 01:28 PM
  #14  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 36,178
"Switchblade Romance" aka "High Tension" is just a superbly made horror film. in fact the only horror films i've loved in the past years are foreign. (HT, The Descent, Orfanato, Pan's Labyrinth, The Host, etc...i will give us "The Mist" however as i dug that one, can't even remember others from US)

that is all i have right now because ps) US horror movies suck!!

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-24-08 at 01:31 PM.
OldBoy is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 08:29 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Just checked out your DVDSpot and dug your collection. How's that copy of The Devils? I saw it at HKflix but heard the sound/image quality has lots to be desired.
The quality sucks, about as good as a worn out VHS. I knew what I was getting when I bought it though and got it more for being able to see the movie uncut than anything else.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 09:19 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 32,398
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
The quality sucks, about as good as a worn out VHS. I knew what I was getting when I bought it though and got it more for being able to see the movie uncut than anything else.
Same here... plus I wanted to check out the documentary.

Back on topic, I really liked High Tension and I have Inside on order. I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the Frontier(s) fracas... so I'll probably check it out later.
TomOpus is offline  
Old 05-24-08, 09:57 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Same here... plus I wanted to check out the documentary.

Back on topic, I really liked High Tension and I have Inside on order. I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the Frontier(s) fracas... so I'll probably check it out later.
If you're still bitter and want to stick to the man, I'll loan you my copy. I actually think you'll like it. Inside is certainly your speed as well.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 05-25-08, 12:03 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Because Scott1598
Posts: 5,649
I actually gave in and watched Frontier(s) but only because I didn't rent it and got to see it for free from someone who did

Eh, not very impressed but it wasn't boring either defintely had some good scenes in it and wasn't a bad flick by any means but it did get a little goofy with the hero factor card it played. Nowhere near as good as High Tension.

I don't mind anyone trying to improve on horror films or making them to their liking and I'm glad their are many fans of the genre out there who become filmmakers and try to please the hardcore fans but some of it is getting a little out of hand. Seems like glorious blood shots are taking over and while I don't mind a ton of the red-nasty showing up in a horror film, there's never really any substance thrown into the mix.

I look at films like the shining where you're never quite sure of what the hell is going on due to the mood and character changes and the blood/disturbing scenes that present themselves as.....fuck it, I'm rambling too much - basically, films like the shining seem to take their time but never bore you, the blood never turns you off or makes your eyes roll because of how it's put to use.

Having said all that now take a look at a flick like High Tension (which I still love) the blood used in this film is disturbing as all hell every time you see a shot of it - no easy feat IMO. I don't think I really need to hit on the tension or suspense in this film either.

So I guess all in all, it's comes down to balancing the blood and suspense just right but at the same time making sure that all the imagery and mood are there at the same time. Man, I would not want to make a horror flick
Rival11 is offline  
Old 05-25-08, 12:41 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 19,645
Originally Posted by Seantn
Also, High Tension was made before "Saw" and the "Texas Chainsaw" remake ever hit theaters, so it definitely wasn't inspired by them.
No -- it was ripped off from Dean Koontz's "Intensity."
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 05-25-08, 02:33 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Just South of Nowhere
Posts: 637
Originally Posted by The Bus
Frontier(s)? Never heard of it.
Neither have I oddly.


AH! What the hell just attacked my monitor?
ardathbey is offline  
Old 05-25-08, 05:00 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Papillion, NE!
Posts: 2,342
French horror is hot right now. Give them some credit for adding balls into horror unlike U.S. with our rancid PG-13 horror and countless remakes.

I'll take that over anything out right now.
Zodiac_Speaking is offline  
Old 05-25-08, 05:27 AM
  #22  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
All I had to see about Frontier(s) was the After Dark logo on it and I knew it wouldn't be good.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-25-08, 10:30 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 32,398
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
If you're still bitter and want to stick to the man, I'll loan you my copy. I actually think you'll like it. Inside is certainly your speed as well.
That's a nice offer. I might take you up on the offer. We just have to figure out where to meet up. We know how well that worked out last time
TomOpus is offline  
Old 05-25-08, 12:30 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
French horror is hot right now. Give them some credit for adding balls into horror unlike U.S. with our rancid PG-13 horror and countless remakes.

I'll take that over anything out right now.
What have they added that US horror films haven't had? Senseless gore? Forgettable films like Saw 4 and the Hostel movies did that.

That's scary? I think the most effective horror movies are the ones which don't go over-the-top with it. Halloween, The Shining, The Haunting (original), etc. The Descent is scary as well, and uses gore in certain scenes, but it's not over the top.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 05-25-08, 09:23 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Originally Posted by TomOpus
That's a nice offer. I might take you up on the offer. We just have to figure out where to meet up. We know how well that worked out last time
I'll meet you at the abandoned pig farm in Potrero. Where we burried the... well, you know.
DeputyDave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.