Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull REVIEWS Thread

Old 05-25-08, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Who's Diablo Cody?
She wrote Juno and has the coolest name ever.
Old 05-25-08, 06:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went in expecting not to like the movie with the reviews saying it was like LAST CRUSADE. But I liked it and thought Kate Blanchet's character was good. And Ford's Indy for 60 years old was tough unlike Connery's winy, annoying performance. Ford brought his tough, macho "A" game to this movie at least for 60 years old. And did anyone notice that the scene where they show in the trailer where Indy is in the warehouse and he swings by his whip into the jeep you could almost see that there is a cable holding him.
But in the movie on the big screen I could not see any of that it looked like he was swinging without a harness.
Old 05-25-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Depression
Did this movie feel artificial to anybody else?

All of the previous movies had scenary and locations that felt alive and real. Here I felt like majority of the scenes were on a sound stage somewhere.
That's because, unlike the previous films, the crew never ventured outside the United States for locations on this one. The most exotic shooting location they went to was Hawaii (for the Amazon stuff)...the rest was shot in New Mexico (Area 51), Connecticut (college stuff) and locales around California, including the Universal backlot.
Old 05-25-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's because, unlike the previous films, the crew never ventured outside the United States for locations on this one. The most exotic shooting location they went to was Hawaii (for the Amazon stuff)...the rest was shot in New Mexico (Area 51), Connecticut (college stuff) and locales around California, including the Universal backlot.

That makes sense.

It was rough watching some of the scenes becaue you could tell the lighting was fake and that the sound stage was the venue.

I enjoyed parts of the movie. Just overall I thought it was weak. Unfortunately I'll be buying it on DVD/Blu-Ray as the completist that I am
Old 05-25-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Spoonys 3 part Rant on Indy 4 (Warning: Tons of Spoilers)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQW5rWMGqbg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQW5rWMGqbg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OipUKkawkx4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OipUKkawkx4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Et-SSZHfT-o&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Et-SSZHfT-o&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 05-25-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All of the previous movies had scenary and locations that felt alive and real. Here I felt like majority of the scenes were on a sound stage somewhere.

you cant complain on this one, the sets were fanatastic looking, watching Raiders of the Lost ark, the intro doesnt feel any way realistic looking probably the most "set" looking in all the indy flicks . Which is fine for these fun goofy movies.

I still dont see the hate for this flick, come on people its a indiana Jones flick. They are all alittle too goofy but its fun. Everything here felt like a Indiana Jones flick. expect for about 5 minutes with the alien stuff. Other then that its one of the most fun movies I have seen in a long time. Better then any Adventure type of flick that has came out in a long long long time.
Old 05-25-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

holy crap that guy with the videos really needs to unclench. i watched about half of the first clip where he is ranting against the number of crystal skulls (which i understood perfectly) and quit after that. he acts like he was expecting the best film in the history of cinema.
Old 05-25-08, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody watch the whole thing and tell me if his mom comes through the door and asks what he's doing.
Old 05-25-08, 10:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I just wonder if this movie will get repeat business after this weekend? You know, after all of the "well, regardless of what people say, I've got to see it for myself" tickets are sold.

Did I think it was fun? Yeah, sort of. I liked the opening Paramount slide transition to the molehill...that was pretty funny. I think this movie played more like a comedy or parody of the last three films than anything else. You have to admit, it did get pretty silly more than a few times. It was OK, but I wouldn't pay to see it again.

I didn't really see the point of Ray Winstone's character at all by the end of the movie. It was almost like somebody owed him a favor, and they wrote him into the film. Unless they just needed someone to leave the red flashing "bread crumb" trail for the Russians to follow.

I took the strategy of going into it not expecting much at all, and I think that's what made it work for me. As I was watching it, I think the thing that was hardest for me personally was seeing Indy look so, how else can I say it...old.

It sort of reminded me of really liking the Laurel & Hardy comedies from the 1930's, when they were in their prime, and then seeing them in one of their final films from the late 40's early 50's period...just not that funny, and they just looked tired, and their heart wasn't really in it. Or going to see your favorite band from the 70's or 80's doing a show today...fun to see them again for the nostalgia, but a little sad because it just wasn't/isn't the same. What else was I expecting? Nothing really, it's reality, but it was still a little tough to accept.

In the end, it was OK, but I just wish they hadn't waited so long to make it.
Old 05-25-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin75
holy crap that guy with the videos really needs to unclench. i watched about half of the first clip where he is ranting against the number of crystal skulls (which i understood perfectly) and quit after that. he acts like he was expecting the best film in the history of cinema.
I would absolutely hate to be anywhere close to that guy in a movie theater.
Old 05-25-08, 10:54 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but
Spoiler:
Why do the russians need the skull from the grave of the conquestidors if the they have the newer skull from area 51? If they never needed the newer skull from area 51 then why did they bring it to south america??

The movie was pretty hollow. Felt like a made for TV parody or 'tribute' to old harry but not like the others.
Old 05-25-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Like I mentioned before, last time I had seen Raiders of the Lost Ark was probably twenty years ago. I just finished watching it and can say without a doubt that people are seeing this movie through rose-colored glasses. Not in that it's not a great film: it is. But the new IJ is being unfairly judged when both movies had almost as many ridiculous premises. I still think the original trilogy was, well, let's say crafted with more care. But anyone that loathes this movie and loves the first three needs to get their head checked.
Old 05-25-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would just like to say that i loathe this movie and loved the first three...

wait a minute...
Old 05-25-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Like I mentioned before, last time I had seen Raiders of the Lost Ark was probably twenty years ago. I just finished watching it and can say without a doubt that people are seeing this movie through rose-colored glasses. Not in that it's not a great film: it is. But the new IJ is being unfairly judged when both movies had almost as many ridiculous premises. I still think the original trilogy was, well, let's say crafted with more care. But anyone that loathes this movie and loves the first three needs to get their head checked.
There it is again....seems to be a pretty common thing to insult people that don't like it. I love the first three and while I didn't LOATHE this movie, it is miles and miles away from being remotely as well made, well written, or exciting as the first three.
Old 05-25-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Thank you for summing up what I was going to say much more succinctly.

Two things to add:

First: The involvement of aliens are not out of place in the context of the series at all. The series was meant as a throw-back to movie serials, many of which involved alien subplots (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Phantom Empire). They were short on character, high on preposterousness (if that's a word) and rarely adhering to a single genre. It actually fits in very neatly.

And the second: The one thing Raiders has over this (and the other two Indy flicks) is the writing (dialogue more character than plot driven). If the early 80's Lawrence Kasdan had written this with the same plot, a lot of you would be talking differently. But no one writes that kind of dialogue anymore (including Kasdan). Hell, I'm still 100% sure that Raiders would only be a marginal success financially and critically if released today. At best, it would be a cult hit. What people asked of their movies is 1981 is not the same as what they expect today.
Old 05-25-08, 01:01 PM
Suspended

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hab-0t-uUFM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hab-0t-uUFM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 05-25-08, 01:03 PM
JIF

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I'm amazed at some of the reviews on here.

What an awful, awful film. I see the occasional bad movie, but very rarely do I leave the theatre thinking, "I wish I hadn't seen that." The movie failed on every level.

They could have cast Nick Cage in the lead and called it National Treasure 3. It's that bad.

Am I the only one that thinks computer effects are getting worse as the years go by? I was under the impression that Spielberg was only going to use CGI when it was absolutely necessary. Instead, the movie is wall to wall computer effects.

Look out for the computer generated ants! Careful, don't go near the computer genereted cliff! Oh no, don't get hit by the debris from that computer generated explosion!

What happened to using real bugs, or filming on location, or just blowing shit up for real?

And they're not even good effects. They're about on par with the Mummy movies.

Aside from the lousy effects, the overall look of the film is flat out ugly. I was led to believe that the cinematography was going to match the look of the first three films. Again, not the case whatsoever. As a previous poster mentioned, the film had an odd, unnatural look. It was too glossy and shiny.

Zero chemistry between the actors.

Spoiler:
I still don't understand the significance of the crystal skulls. Seriously, what the hell was going on there? They put the skull on the alien body, then the aliens merge into one alien, then Cate Blanchett disintegrates. Right.

Oh, and they're not just aliens from outer space, they're extra special aliens from ANOTHER DIMENSION!!! Zowie! What was the point of that. Seriously, what the fuck.

And the bit at the end, that whole, "They're treasure was knowledge." God damn, that was stupid. I mean, come on.

I will always love the first three films, but this movie was utter crap. Anyone that thinks otherwise is not living on the same planet as me.

Spoiler:
Perhaps they're from another dimension!
+1

It's a C+ at best. I think most people here are giving high marks for nostalgia sake and not the film itself.
Old 05-25-08, 01:06 PM
JIF

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hab-0t-uUFM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hab-0t-uUFM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

+1
Old 05-25-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
but
Spoiler:
Why do the russians need the skull from the grave of the conquestidors if the they have the newer skull from area 51? If they never needed the newer skull from area 51 then why did they bring it to south america??

The movie was pretty hollow. Felt like a made for TV parody or 'tribute' to old harry but not like the others.
Who's harry? Anyhow, in regards to your spoiler question
Spoiler:
They weren't sure of the area 51 skull's condition etc. but they say in the film that it's not as large as the one from the tomb - that the alien they retrieved from area 51 is most likely a cousin of the Crystal Skull alien, on a mission searching for the skull themselves when they crashed at Roswell. This skull won't open the doors at the kingdom because it's too small - they brought the alien body to south america because even though it's skull wasn't exactly the one they were looking for, they thought having an alien corpse would be a pretty cool thing to have - and to show it to us later
Old 05-25-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Roger Ebert said in his blog, "The movie isn't a throwback to the Saturday serials of the 1930s and 1940s. It's what they would have been if they could have been."

I think that if more people went into the film with this quote in their heads, they'd enjoy the movie a whole lot more. I know that it helped me to just sit back and enjoy the ride without picking the flick apart.
Old 05-25-08, 01:34 PM

I don't entirely buy the arguement that Aliens aren't anymore far fetched than the previous movies.

Some of the things in the first three were indeed "out there" but they were still somewhat grounded in our world. Meaning whether you believe in Christianity or not, the religion is still a huge part of our history.

Aliens on the other hand, we know nothing about. Anything is just speculation. Which makes it a lot harder to swallow.
Old 05-25-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't entirely buy the arguement that Aliens aren't anymore far fetched than the previous movies.

Some of the things in the first three were indeed "out there" but they were still somewhat grounded in our world. Meaning whether you believe in Christianity or not, the religion is still a huge part of our history.

Aliens on the other hand, we know nothing about. Anything is just speculation. Which makes it a lot harder to swallow.
Only Raiders was based in ancient Hebrew beliefs. Last Crusade was tied to Christianity. TOD was tied to Indian (esp. Thugee) beliefs as its basis.
And KOTCS was tied into Mayan and other early native belief systems which did incorporate the idea of extraterrestrial life within their religions. Hence, grounding it in "our world."

Therefore, just as easy to swallow, IMHO.
Old 05-25-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolf359
There it is again....seems to be a pretty common thing to insult people that don't like it. I love the first three and while I didn't LOATHE this movie, it is miles and miles away from being remotely as well made, well written, or exciting as the first three.
I haven't rewatched Temple or Crusade, but I agree with what you're saying. Watching Raiders it was interesting how much Spielberg developed the icon of Indiana: his silhouette appears many times. I feel like those little touches were missing from the new film. I'm not saying you have to like this film. Just understand that at its core it is not really that different from the first three.
Old 05-25-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this yesterday...loved it, don't understand all the hate. It was a solid popcorn flick, highly entertaining and fun.
Old 05-25-08, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Saw this yesterday...loved it, don't understand all the hate. It was a solid popcorn flick, highly entertaining and fun.
i agree. Reading peoples commits on here you wonder if they remember the original 3 movies, Theres alot you could pick apart there. and if you enjoyed them I don't see why you didn't enjoy this, felt very much like the others. The effects were great. I just watched

Originally Posted by parker63

Did I think it was fun? Yeah, sort of. I liked the opening Paramount slide transition to the molehill...that was pretty funny. I think this movie played more like a comedy or parody of the last three films than anything else. You have to admit, it did get pretty silly more than a few times. It was OK, but I wouldn't pay to see it again.
Well you could say that about temple of Doom, Every single moment the the girl Wilhelmina 'Willie' Scott was on screen, moment when they were sleeping in the jungle and all the animals. etc. I dont see it being any more of a comedy then Raiders of the lost ark? Explain? all movies have tons of humor, nothings really taken seriously. All the indy moves did get pretty silly more then a few times.

This did too, and the sets here were pretty amazing compared to the other flicks, The other flicks that used some pretty bad Matte paintings especially the warehouse were everything is stored, watch the original flick, one of the worst matte paintings. The famous opening in the original flick always felt like a set, so did many other scenes in the original flick.
check this picture out does that look real and alive?
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1508415744/tt0082971

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I'm amazed at some of the reviews on here.

What an awful, awful film. I see the occasional bad movie, but very rarely do I leave the theatre thinking, "I wish I hadn't seen that." The movie failed on every level.

They could have cast Nick Cage in the lead and called it National Treasure 3. It's that bad.

Am I the only one that thinks computer effects are getting worse as the years go by? I was under the impression that Spielberg was only going to use CGI when it was absolutely necessary. Instead, the movie is wall to wall computer effects.

Look out for the computer generated ants! Careful, don't go near the computer genereted cliff! Oh no, don't get hit by the debris from that computer generated explosion!

What happened to using real bugs, or filming on location, or just blowing shit up for real?

And they're not even good effects. They're about on par with the Mummy movies.

Aside from the lousy effects, the overall look of the film is flat out ugly. I was led to believe that the cinematography was going to match the look of the first three films. Again, not the case whatsoever. As a previous poster mentioned, the film had an odd, unnatural look. It was too glossy and shiny.

Zero chemistry between the actors.

Spoiler:
I still don't understand the significance of the crystal skulls. Seriously, what the hell was going on there? They put the skull on the alien body, then the aliens merge into one alien, then Cate Blanchett disintegrates. Right.

Oh, and they're not just aliens from outer space, they're extra special aliens from ANOTHER DIMENSION!!! Zowie! What was the point of that. Seriously, what the fuck.

And the bit at the end, that whole, "They're treasure was knowledge." God damn, that was stupid. I mean, come on.

I will always love the first three films, but this movie was utter crap. Anyone that thinks otherwise is not living on the same planet as me.

Spoiler:
Perhaps they're from another dimension!

How can you say
"What an awful, awful film. I see the occasional bad movie, but very rarely do I leave the theater thinking, "I wish I hadn't seen that." The movie failed on every level. " I can see not liking it that much but how is it awful? etc? then you must not like the other 3 because the tone and action of the other movies are not much different then this one. Did this movie have problems with the end with the alien yeah, but everything else was excellent, and the problems here were pretty much apparent in all the other movies.

Visual effects werent bad they were pretty good, the ants in alot of the shots looked excellent and realistic. some wide shots of them attacking people maybe but overall looked excellent. the original 3 had some bad effects and matte paintings too, so you hate them too.

"overall look of the film is flat out ugly"

only in some shots was did it have the light blooming but other then that it didnt look any different the other movies.

"Am I the only one that thinks computer effects are getting worse as the years go by?"

Ah no, How can you say that, this Indy Flick was a little stylized but it captured the time and feeling. But how can you say computer effects are getting worse. So you think Transformers etc had BAD visuals?

"They could have cast Nick Cage in the lead and called it National Treasure 3. It's that bad. "

umm no

"Look out for the computer generated ants! Careful, don't go near the computer genereted cliff! Oh no, don't get hit by the debris from that computer generated explosion!"

You could use this complaint in pretty much every movie, of course they could of used real ants in those scenes, that would of worked. come on....

I just thought the last post was trying to criticized everything, i dont see huge problems where the movie is awful or wish I didnt see it, It was an excellent flick that did have problems but was still a very fun movie.

Last edited by maingon; 05-25-08 at 04:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.