Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RocknRolla (Ritchie, 2008) — with Butler, Newton, Wilkinson, Strong, Elba, Hardy and more

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RocknRolla (Ritchie, 2008) — with Butler, Newton, Wilkinson, Strong, Elba, Hardy and more

Old 06-25-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved Snatch and Lock Stock, so hopefully this will be good too. I never saw Revolver though.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=21373

Fivesome Aboard Guy Ritchie's RocknRolla
Source: The Hollywood Reporter June 25, 2007

Gerard Butler, Tom Wilkinson, Thandie Newton, Idris Elba and Chris "Ludacris" Bridges have been cast in RocknRolla, Guy Ritchie's return to the caper genre being produced by Joel Silver's Dark Castle Entertainment.

The Hollywood Reporter says Butler stars as a One Two, a street-smart mobster who has learned to play both sides of the fence, and Wilkinson is playing the lethal head mobster, Lenny Cole, part of London's old mob regime, which is quickly losing ground to the wealthier foreign mob.

Newton acts as One Two's love interest, Stella, an accountant with ties to the underworld, and Elba acts as Mumbles, One Two's partner. Bridges is playing Roman, an American trying to break into the music scene in London.

Ritchie wrote the screenplay and is directing the movie, which is set in motion when a Russian mobster orchestrates a crooked land deal and millions of dollars are thrown up for grabs, with all of London's criminal underworld players wanting in on the action.

Principal photography began June 19 on location in London.

Silver is producing Warner Bros. release with Ritchie, Susan Downey and Steve Clark-Hall. Steve Richards and Navid McIlhargey are the executive producers, with Lauren Meek serving as associate producer.
Old 06-25-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds decent and the cast is promising. I'll keep my hopes up.
Old 06-25-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Was "Revolver" ever released in the theaters in the U.S.? I bought the R2 DVD. Enjoyed it a lot.
Old 06-25-07, 07:28 PM

love gerard. so im gonna keep my eyes peeled for this one.
Old 06-26-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Tom Wilkinson sure is picking out some good projects to be involved in.
Old 06-26-07, 08:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Was "Revolver" ever released in the theaters in the U.S.? I bought the R2 DVD. Enjoyed it a lot.
according to imdb it's supposedly igoing to get a release sometime in 2007.
Old 06-26-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Revolver wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.
Old 05-21-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
RocknRolla (Richie, 2008) — with Butler, Piven, Newton, Wilkinson and more

RocknRolla | IMDB | US: October 31, 2008

I never saw Revolver but I'm guessing this is going to be Ritchie's return to Snatch/Lock Stock form. The plot seems like classic Ritchie:

"When a Russian mobster sets up a real estate scam that makes available millions of dollars, members of London's criminal underworld pursue their share of the fortune."

And there's a ton of people in this. Tom Wilkinson! Ludacris! Stringer Bell! That guy from Sweeney Todd! The guy who does Mikhail Faustin's voice in GTA! One person is missing: Statham, who couldn't appear due to scheduling conflicts.

No trailer or anything yet.
Old 05-21-08, 05:05 PM

i've been waiting for a trailer to show up for the longest time. i haven't been able to find too much information on this either but stringer bell is in it, so it has to be good. it'll be interesting to hear his real accent as opposed to the american one that he uses on the wire and his recent foray into movies.

for what it is worth, revolver was great. it took a second and third viewing to really appreciate the film for what it is.

Last edited by dyerjp; 05-21-08 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Revolver was tiring but interesting. I didn't exactly like it (coulda used less esoteric repetition in Statham's dialogue), but I didn't hate it either.

I HOPE this is a return to form and not just a return to genre where he hashes out a flatly familiar crime caper. You've always gotta up the ante...
Old 05-21-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Guy Ritchie should do a Grand Theft Auto movie.
Old 05-21-08, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Guy Ritchie should do a Grand Theft Auto movie.

nah, he should be doing the remake of the long good friday
Old 05-22-08, 12:26 AM
Suspended

I don't know how a GTA movie would work.
Old 05-22-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm down for another Snatch-like vehicle.
Old 05-22-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Is this like getting rickrolled?
Old 08-06-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailer. Looks like Ritchie is back on track.

Last edited by NoirFan; 08-06-08 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-06-08, 02:25 AM

This definitely looks good.

Revolver was really different, I personally loved it (the R2 cut), but the American version was pretty awful.

I will certainly be seeing this!
Old 08-17-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WB may be looking to dump this.
Old 08-18-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks like Richie can't get a break these days...
Old 08-18-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Warner doesn't have its priorities straight when they're looking to get rid of movies by Guy Ritchie and Danny Boyle but stick with ones like Speed Racer, 10,000 BC, and Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Old 08-18-08, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Warner doesn't have its priorities straight when they're looking to get rid of movies by Guy Ritchie and Danny Boyle but stick with ones like Speed Racer, 10,000 BC, and Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Really? I don't think Guy Ritchie movies exactly tear up the box office. And Journey is actually making a decent amount of money.

Anyway, I'm still interested but I didn't like Revolver at all and Ritchie still seems to be working off Lock Stock and Snatch success.
Old 08-18-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I notice you've conveniently left The Dark Knight off that list. And the second two made a lot more coin that a Ritchie flick could expect to.

WB figures it's got a good profit going with Knight and wouldn't mind finishing out the year with a tidy profit, so they don't want to diminish that with overspending on advertising. This is why the smaller flicks that they don't have to bother with are getting the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang treatment, and other low-budget flicks for 2009 are being bumped to the new fiscal year.
Old 08-18-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So are you saying their plan is to keep The Dark Knight in theatres until the end of the year?

I conveniently left out a number of good Warner blockbusters. It seems Rock n Rolla isn't a big enough movie for Warner. Perhaps a Lionsgate, Fox Searchlight or Focus Features would be better suited for it.
Old 08-19-08, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this in London at the Empire Movie-Con weekend as a surprise showing. We were the first audience (non-reveiwers) to see this. It was brilliant, I think it might be his best, alot more adult in it's story, the violence is not as "funny" as his other films.
Butler is very good in this as " 1 2 " (he is abit of a dancer) the comedy is very funny aswell.
In this film you might see, what I think are the funniest robbery and dance scene ever. We also had a Q&A with Guy Ritchie and Mark Strong afterwards which was great (seeing as it was his misses birthday on the same day!) Guy said one of the points about the film is how London is being changed by all these new buildings being put up and all this outside influence being forced onto London (I suppose this could be said about alot of cities around the world!).
He mentioned that work has started on his Holmes project and the Robert Downey has got a really good English accent. Also Mark Strong is in talks to be Moriarty.
Old 08-19-08, 06:31 AM

My question is this, even if the film IS a success, where does Richie go from here? He has already proven that even slightly stepping outside of Lock Stock formula is beyond him. So are we going to see his one film constantly repackaged and retitled? At the moment the UK is being swamped with Richie wannabees doing terrible gangster films, so there may not even be a market left, even if he wanted to do that!
I see this as his swansong picture unless he can change gears.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.