Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RocknRolla (Ritchie, 2008) — with Butler, Newton, Wilkinson, Strong, Elba, Hardy and more

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RocknRolla (Ritchie, 2008) — with Butler, Newton, Wilkinson, Strong, Elba, Hardy and more

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. The running gag was done in a pretty original and hysterical way.
Old 11-07-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the end. I know it's really just a mcguffin (sp?) but still....
Spoiler:
how in the world would Archie have gotten the painting for Johnny? Presumably Yuri and Viktor kill Stella, but even if they do or don't - how would the painting have moved from there?

I guess it's really irrelevant though - since like Pulp Fiction, you never actually see the image itself.

Liked "Tank" as well - pretty funny twist - can't believe I recognized "Remains of the Day".

Also regarding Yuri -
Spoiler:
it was pretty weird how for the whole movie he seemed oblivious that Lenny wasn't the only person he told about the payments - with no details - and then his exchange with Viktor at the end about how "expensive" his previous women had been - that was funny!

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 11-07-08 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-07-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Question about the end. I know it's really just a mcguffin (sp?) but still....
Spoiler:
how in the world would Archie have gotten the painting for Johnny? Presumably Yuri and Viktor kill Stella, but even if they do or don't - how would the painting have moved from there?
Spoiler:
He did have that line where he said "it cost a Russian an arm and a leg" We're to figure that One-Two told Archie that he gave the painting to Stella. Archie, the new boss, had Uri killed and got the painting back.

As for the ending and everything, I really hope Guy Ritchie follows on his promise and makes The Real Rock N Rolla
Old 11-08-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I enjoyed the flick a good deal, but I think my buddy and I were the only two in the theater to do so. There were only maybe 16 people in there to begin with, 6 walked out, and leaving there was a loud "Well that sucked, I would have rather seen Saw V" comment from some lady.

That said, considering when the first group walked out (like 15 minutes in) I guess the British accents and slang were a tad too hard for some to grasp. It wasn't hard to follow, had a decent plot with enjoyable characters, was well paced and quite funny, I don't get the problem

As for the gay thing, the initial scene was almost cringe-enducingly obvious but the way it played on past that sequence was great.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-08-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-08-08, 11:30 PM

There was too much going on, and why the hell were Jeremy Piven and Ludacris even in this? They took time away from the bevy of actually interesting characters and the plot was so typical I guessed about 90% in the first ten minutes. But Ritchie could have made a snuff film and it'd have been better than his last two movies, and this was a pretty strong return to form. Mark Strong steals every movie he's in, it seems.
Old 11-18-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally caught the movie last night.

It's no Lock Stock or Snatch, but it's light years ahead of Revolver. I enjoyed it and I would be down for The Real RockNRolla.

My one beef with the film:

Spoiler:
I wished there was more of an explosive climax, like say with Snatch. We have pretty much a majority of the characters in the warehouse, and while the story does progress a whole lot during that scene, it's just not as exciting than I would've liked it.
Old 11-18-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
I enjoyed the flick a good deal, but I think my buddy and I were the only two in the theater to do so. There were only maybe 16 people in there to begin with, 6 walked out, and leaving there was a loud "Well that sucked, I would have rather seen Saw V" comment from some lady.

That said, considering when the first group walked out (like 15 minutes in) I guess the British accents and slang were a tad too hard for some to grasp. It wasn't hard to follow, had a decent plot with enjoyable characters, was well paced and quite funny, I don't get the problem

As for the gay thing, the initial scene was almost cringe-enducingly obvious but the way it played on past that sequence was great.
Re: the people walking out. What a bunch of yahoos. I mean, anyone who announces they'd rather see "Saw V" should be no where near a movie theater playing this in the first place. Or me.
Old 11-18-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Re: the people walking out. What a bunch of yahoos. I mean, anyone who announces they'd rather see "Saw V" should be no where near a movie theater playing this in the first place. Or me.
Actually yes, they were. And it was a heavily redneck woman that apparently couldn't grasp them crazy accents or slang.

I took the trek to a neighboring town to see the movie as they have a better theater (and 2 IMAX screens (an AMC24)). I'm not a fan of the area to begin with and this experience just solidified it. At least there was a Five Guys Burger and Fries in the area.
Old 11-18-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Actually yes, they were. And it was a heavily redneck woman that apparently couldn't grasp them crazy accents or slang.

I took the trek to a neighboring town to see the movie as they have a better theater (and 2 IMAX screens (an AMC24)). I'm not a fan of the area to begin with and this experience just solidified it. At least there was a Five Guys Burger and Fries in the area.
Which sounds like where that redneck cow eats all her meals.
Just what neighborhood is this?
Old 11-18-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha that is probably true. This was in Orange Park, FL - just south of the Jacksonville westside (Been here for 6 months now, seems like I managed to land in 1 of the very few good spots in what is the largest single city (landmass/area) in the continental US.)

Last edited by RichC2; 11-18-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-27-09, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: RocknRolla (Ritchie, 2008) — with Butler, Newton, Wilkinson, Strong, Elba, Hardy and more

Saw this tonight. Good, but not great. All of Ritchie's movies tend to blend together for me now. Like they're all updates of Lock, Stock. However, we have seen what happens when he tries something new (...Swept Away), so maybe that's for the good of the people.

= J
Old 02-27-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: RocknRolla (Ritchie, 2008) — with Butler, Newton, Wilkinson, Strong, Elba, Hardy and more

Still haven't seen it. I just want something half as good as Snatch (my favorite Ritchie film).
Old 02-27-09, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
So are you saying their plan is to keep The Dark Knight in theatres until the end of the year?
That's so ironic given it did stay around here for that long.. then got re-released a month later.
Old 02-27-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Guy Ritchie should do a Grand Theft Auto movie.
It's already been done (or at least close enough). It's called Crank.
Old 02-27-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Still haven't seen it. I just want something half as good as Snatch (my favorite Ritchie film).
Don't be apprehensive. Snatch. is my favorite film (period) and RockNRolla was not disappointing. It wasn't spectacular, but I enjoyed it.
Old 02-27-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Guy Ritchie is a one trick pony. Lock Stock was a very good movie. Snatch average. Everything else he has done has been awful. This movie is not good by any means. The characters are just lame versions of ones we have seen before. Even the main guy is called something like "Handsome Bob".....hmmm Guy Ricthie has watched the Italian Job remake recently with Jason Statham's character being called "Handsome Rob." Very original Guy. The whole idea of a guy having a lucky painting and lending it out to someone is just ludicrous. The whole gay friend thing was trying to be funny but failing at every turn. The acting was generally terrible (except for Mark Strong who is great in everything he appears in) and at the end of it i felt like yet another movie had wasted part of my life that i can never get back. Seeing at the end saying that "Archie and the lads will be back in The Real Rocknrolla" just made my stomach turn and i felt a little vomit in my mouth. I have no faith in Guy Ricthie and his Sherlock Holmes film will be an abomination. It will star Handsome Holmes with his side kick Wildman Watson on the trail of Diamond Skull aka. Moriarty. Utter bollocks in other words.
Old 02-27-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked RocknRolla.

Had a blast watching that.
Old 02-28-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm about an hour into watching this, and am on the fence about whether or not I should bother finishing. So far, not so good.
Old 03-03-09, 07:49 PM

Check out the credits for the producer of 'Snatch' and 'Lock Stock'.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0891216/

Now, Matthew Vaughn was in for the disaster that was 'Swept Away' but then went on to make 'Layer Cake'. This makes and breaks my argument for saying that maybe the magic was with this guy.
Old 03-03-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Stardust was somewhere between clever, mediocre, and abysmal.
Old 03-03-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
With all due respect, but no fucking way. "Stardust" was anything but "mediocre" or "abysmal". Which most user reviews will also reflect.
Old 03-03-09, 10:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Where did this come from? Or, why?
Old 03-03-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by iamiam
Where did this come from? Or, why?
Yeah, I don't know either. Matthew wrote, produced and directed "Stardust". And had absolutely nothing to do with "RocknRolla". Regardless, I stand by my previous comment.
Old 04-13-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally watched this movie.

The movie tried to be so cool. I tried really hard to like it. Like I was watching a friend, trying to laugh with his jokes. But no, the truth is that it wasn't a good movie.

I'm suppose to like this kind of movies, but I just didn't feel any connection with it.