Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RocknRolla (Ritchie, 2008) — with Butler, Newton, Wilkinson, Strong, Elba, Hardy and more

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RocknRolla (Ritchie, 2008) — with Butler, Newton, Wilkinson, Strong, Elba, Hardy and more

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Miktal
My question is this, even if the film IS a success, where does Richie go from here? He has already proven that even slightly stepping outside of Lock Stock formula is beyond him. So are we going to see his one film constantly repackaged and retitled? At the moment the UK is being swamped with Richie wannabees doing terrible gangster films, so there may not even be a market left, even if he wanted to do that!
I see this as his swansong picture unless he can change gears.
I thought I kinda answered that question with the fact that someone is trusting him with a big budget Sherlock Holmes film with Robert Downey Jr.
Rocknrolla is actually part 1 of a trilogy. I don't think his gangster films are hardly big budget and probably does a Kevin Smith with his budget to profit ratio.
Old 09-04-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Variety sez it's a return to form for Richie.
Old 09-05-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If this gets a limited release before it goes wide, I'll be making plans to see this. It reminds me a lot in tone of Lone Good Friday, but only if Ritchie did it.
Old 10-11-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw this one today and gets a big from me... Definitely a return to form, and may be his best yet.
Old 10-11-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Saw this one today and gets a big from me... Definitely a return to form, and may be his best yet.
Damn. Hurry up and open in my city. Cannot WAIT to see this.
Old 10-12-08, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ritchie's best film yet. Fantastic from start to finish.
Old 10-12-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Please tell me Jeremy Piven isn't in this much. I truly fucking hate that guy.
Old 10-12-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's awesome. I have to see this!
Old 10-12-08, 08:15 PM
Banned

Not a major character, he's in the movie for about 20 minutes.
Old 10-12-08, 08:16 PM
Banned

This movie will do for Mark Strong what Snatch did for Jason Statham. Hopefully.
Old 10-12-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a major character, he's in the movie for about 20 minutes.

20 minutes too long. But thanks for letting me know.
Old 10-15-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When does this movie open wide? I still don't see it on this week's schedule in my city (D.C.).
Old 10-15-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
When does this movie open wide? I still don't see it on this week's schedule in my city (D.C.).
I think they're still targeting the 31st.
Old 10-15-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper
20 minutes too long. But thanks for letting me know.
Not an Entourage fan, I gather?
Old 10-15-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it required to have appreciated Lock Stock and snatch to enjoy this?

Haven't seen Snatch in a few years, didn't like Lock Stock.
Old 10-15-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Not an Entourage fan, I gather?
No, and don't get me started on that. I can't stand anyone on that show.
Old 10-20-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw this last week. I have to pump the brakes on the hype a bit and say that this movie isn't quite as good as Snatch. is. Mind you, I think that film is pitch-perfect and it is my favorite film of all time, so I don't think RocknRolla would be able to top it. As a gansgter film, it really does play out as a homage to The Long Good Friday, with the current ruler of the London underworld getting aid from a foreign criminal to go through a shady real estate deal. Of course, this is a Ritchie film, so you have to add opportunistic junkies, Chechen war criminals, the eponymous rock star, and a lot of other characters.

The reason this one doesn't fly as high as Snatch does is that the supporting characters are good, but not great. Of course you could also argue that they aren't caricatures and make the film seem more grounded: and that's correct. But some of the fun is lost along the way. Not enough for me to stop me from saying that this is definitely a return to form.
Old 10-20-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I saw this last week. I have to pump the brakes on the hype a bit and say that this movie isn't quite as good as Snatch. is. Mind you, I think that film is pitch-perfect and it is my favorite film of all time, so I don't think RocknRolla would be able to top it. As a gansgter film, it really does play out as a homage to The Long Good Friday, with the current ruler of the London underworld getting aid from a foreign criminal to go through a shady real estate deal. Of course, this is a Ritchie film, so you have to add opportunistic junkies, Chechen war criminals, the eponymous rock star, and a lot of other characters.

The reason this one doesn't fly as high as Snatch does is that the supporting characters are good, but not great. Of course you could also argue that they aren't caricatures and make the film seem more grounded: and that's correct. But some of the fun is lost along the way. Not enough for me to stop me from saying that this is definitely a return to form.
Nice write up. And thanks for the reality check. Because I too thought "Snatch" was a perfect movie. As was "Lock Stock". Just one more week before it opens here. Can't wait. And oh, I'll be wearing my "Madonna is a ****" T-shirt when I see it. Go Team Ritchie!
Old 10-31-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got back from seeing this.. I think it's definitely Ritchie's best film. I love Snatch, it's one of my favorite films but this one tops it. This one had a solid plot and great supporting characters. Thandie Newton was amazing. Maybe her best performance and she's never looked better.

The comparisons to Snatch are inevitable. I think it's better. It's Ritchie's most mature film. Rock N Rolla to Snatch is like Zodiac is to Seven for Fincher. Probably my favorite film of the year. I haven't seen a dozen times yet like I've seen In Bruges.

Go see it.
Old 11-01-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I just got back from seeing it. My wife was absolutely entertained by it and can't wait until it comes out on dvd. I really liked it also, but Snatch just a bit better.

A couple things I noticed: Great opening as usual, but the credit sequence reminded me of Snatch's character introduction sequence; the editing of the sex sequence seemed like a direct rip-off of Arronofsky's pill-popping/drug sequences from "Pi" and "Requiem for a dream" - not that that's a bad thing.

The movie felt slower paced than Snatch. Unfortunately, there were only 2 other guys in the theater at the first showing of the day today. I was really hoping there'd be a bigger turnout.

I agree, go see it for some great heist entertainment.

Kick-ass soundtrack too - best I've heard in a long time.

Michael

Last edited by fiver; 11-01-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-01-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just saw it and fucking HATED IT. I love Snatch and Lock Stock and actually even tolerated Revolver despite it's failures...but this was just charmless. The dialogue has no flair to it, which is usually Ritchie's forte, the plotting is monotonous and the random bursts of style feel pretentious and out of place. I like the cast but they had nothing to do but spew exposition. I didn't give a shit about a single character - at all. If this is the best Ritchie can do, then he's in trouble. I doubt this will spawn the teased sequel, but if it does, I sure as shit ain't going to see it. I'd rather watch Revolver on a loop than see this one again.
Old 11-02-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved it! Also think this is Ritchie's best so far. Just a great cast and soundtrack. Tom Wilkinson certainly deserves a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his work IMO. I agree with Fiver, now I can't wait to get this baby on DVD. Definitely one of the year's best.
Old 11-02-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thumbs up from me! I was a bit apprehensive, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 11-02-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm lukewarm to this film. It's far too stylized to care what happens to any of these characters. I think I'm tiring of seeing the reactions of "macho" guy characters getting hit on by gay characters and getting all ruffled about it. That territory has been mined, there's not much more funny that can be had from it.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 11-02-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
I think I'm tiring of seeing the reactions of "macho" guy characters getting hit on by gay characters and getting all ruffled about it. That territory has been mined, there's not much more funny that can be had from it.
I disagree. I don't ever recall any movie taking it to the next level like this film did. And I won't say anymore without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen it. But I will say the macho thing was squashed immediately. And it was a great running gag for the rest of the film. Where even the gay character was involved and it wasn't hostile. Also, thumbs up to Ritchie for not writing the gay character in a stereotypical way. Like almost every film does.

Last edited by Daytripper; 11-02-08 at 05:30 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.