Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone a silent film expert?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 08:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a name of this movie and I'll be on my way to look for it. I saw like few minutes of this at work on a break but I didn't catch anyone's name or the ending credit. It looked interesting enough for me to rent/purchase it.

I only caught the end of the movie. From what I remember it happened in this old house and a woman was held captive by this ... large man-beast... doesn't look like a wolfman but almost as hairy. I think there was another person captive too and a man came in and looked for this woman.

This evil character saw this man talking the girl away and he wrestled with the guy for a few minutes and after the evil character lost his battle the man and the lady went out onto a dock nearby and went away on the boat. This beast went out and he was too late to catch them so he was laying on the dock looking out at them and the man fired some shots. I don't know if it hit him or not.

The beast went back in the house and then the whole house burned down. I think a oil lantern got knocked over during the fight or something. That was it. It looked like a horror film to me the way how the setting was. Only if I remember a single name from this movie I'd google it up but I'm lost. I'm hoping there's someone here that can help me out.
Old 05-20-08, 09:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Can't help at all.

But just wanted to take this opportunity to share that I have just started discovering silent films. Finally watching my collection, and was surprised to find that I am really enjoying some old silent stuff. Watched a few Harold Lloyd films and they are great. I'm almost thinking that you have to be a better actor to do silents well, using words is the easy way out.

Sorry to interrupt, hope you solve the mystery.
Old 05-20-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love silent films. Sadly, I don't know which film you're referring to.
Old 05-20-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Was this on TV? If so, you might be able to track it down through program schedules.
Old 05-20-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In case it helps to track it down, what you've described sure seems like it could be a variant on THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME or ISLAND OF LOST SOULS...thing is, I don't think any notable silent versions were done prior to these acclaimed early 30's talkies.
Old 05-20-08, 11:47 PM
Cool New Member

It was on TV. I saw it maybe... 2 months ago. When I was browsing silent films like a week ago, that bit from that movie popped up in my mind. It was on one of those cable channels but it doesn't say what program it was. It wasn't AMC, TNT, USA.. I do remember when I went to that channel another time... it actually showed that movie with um... what's her name.... Cybil Sheperd in a pool in one of her early movies... well, it showed nudity and profanity.

Is there a site that shows what played 2 months ago (or around then?)

If it helped any more... while the two were fighting, I think a gun dropped upstairs and while the hero knocked the other guy out, I think he went to retrieve the gun and went to rescue and lady and both raced downstairs and out onto a dock nearby. The villain got up and looked around and saw the lady missing and he went out and saw them getting on a boat. He was too late, he leaned on the dock and reached his hand out to the lady like as if she meant something to him. First thing I thought of was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde but... I never seen that movie, this villain was tall and not clean looking.
Old 05-20-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TCM is the only network that regularly airs silent films, but unless you work the nightshift chances are it wasn't then. More often than not TCM exclusively shows restored silent films on Sunday Night Silents (which airs at midnight).

I know quite a bit about vintage cinema, and am learning more about silent films every day.. but I can't help you here. Sorry boss.

You might want to try the Silent Film usergroup. I had a similar problem with an old silent film I saw on AMC back when they showed old movies in the early-90s and asked them and got an answer the same day. They're the most knowledgeable folks on the subject in the world.
Old 05-21-08, 12:06 AM
Cool New Member

It might be TCM then. I know the channels for all movie programs except for TCM because TCM is on one of those 50+ later channels and most of the programs on 50 and beyond are trash and advertisements except for this one movie channel.

Usually when I flipped to ch. 53, it showed silent movies. I remembered I was watching this one movie that I'm guessing has 3 movies because at the time I was watching part two of this movie. It was a guy in the army who got a letter from his wife... he came home from the army and was looking for his wife. The wife was seeing another man... this prince charming looking guy and this baby. The wife doesn't want the baby to be seen with her and she wasn't all that happy when the husband came home either. When the husband is off doing whatever duty, the wife would sneak off and have her time with this other man and the baby. The husband got suspicious of course and found out about the baby and was going to kill both of them. The other man came to reasoning with the husband. One day the husband got a letter from the army and they needed him... the other man decided to go with him to the war. The ending credit rolled and Part 3 began after that.

Yes, I was on nightshift at the time when I saw it.

Where's this usergroup for silent film?
Old 05-21-08, 09:54 AM

I don't know about the silent movie, but the Cybill Shepherd movie you described is probably "The Last Picture Show."
Old 05-21-08, 10:31 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Myke
I need a name of this movie and I'll be on my way to look for it. I saw like few minutes of this at work on a break but I didn't catch anyone's name or the ending credit. It looked interesting enough for me to rent/purchase it.

I only caught the end of the movie. From what I remember it happened in this old house and a woman was held captive by this ... large man-beast... doesn't look like a wolfman but almost as hairy. I think there was another person captive too and a man came in and looked for this woman.

This evil character saw this man taking the girl away and he wrestled with the guy for a few minutes and after the evil character lost his battle the man and the lady went out onto a dock nearby and went away on the boat. This beast went out and he was too late to catch them so he was laying on the dock looking out at them and the man fired some shots. I don't know if it hit him or not.

The beast went back in the house and then the whole house burned down. I think a oil lantern got knocked over during the fight or something. That was it. It looked like a horror film to me the way how the setting was. Only if I remember a single name from this movie I'd google it up but I'm lost. I'm hoping there's someone here that can help me out.
It's hard to help you. There are many questions that need answering if you want to search the TCM database, for instance. On a hunch, I would say it's the silent version of The Cat and the Canary (1927).

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wxFJDuPxGLE&hl=fr"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wxFJDuPxGLE&hl=fr" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Also: The Monster (1925) with Lon Chaney (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0016123/)

Also see: http://www.1000misspenthours.com/rev...onster1925.htm; http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=3040

Dr. Ziska, an insane surgeon who believes that he can bring the dead back to life, presides over a sanitarium where he conducts bizarre experiments. He selects his human subjects from passing motorists, whom he abducts and confines in a dark dungeon. When the evil doctor kidnaps Luke Watson, Johnny, Watson's clerk, who has just received a diploma as a detective from a correspondence school, sets out to find him. He penetrates the sanitarium and is captured by Ziska, who intends to use him in an experiment. Ziska also captures Betty, Watson's daughter, and Hal, the senior Watson clerk. Johnny escapes from the sanitarium and returns with help, arriving just in time to save Betty from a horrible death under the mad doctor's knife.

Last edited by baracine; 05-21-08 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-21-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I was on nightshift at the time when I saw it.

Where's this usergroup for silent film?
It was definitely TCM then. Here's the newsgroup/usergroup

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.movies.silent/topics

If anyone knows, they will.
Old 05-21-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I have TCM's "Now Playing" magazine for March, but not with me. I'll look it over later and get back to you. (I still have all of this year's issues in case you're not sure about it being 2 months ago).
Old 05-21-08, 04:18 PM
Cool New Member

I don't think it was The Monster at all. I have Cat and the Canary in one of the silent sets I just purchased but I don't think that is it either. Not that I've seen that clip before.

I caught like the last 15-10 minutes of it and I had to punch out, so... I didn't see the credit. To the person that has the TCM magazines, it was running around 4:30-5:30 AM (Eastern) when I saw it. Hope you find something.

I posted over in that usergroups by the way.
Old 05-21-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I caught like the last 15-10 minutes of it and I had to punch out, so... I didn't see the credit. To the person that has the TCM magazines, it was running around 4:30-5:30 AM (Eastern) when I saw it. Hope you find something.
Do you recall the day of week it was? It was most likely early on a Monday morning although the TCM Silent Sunday feature should have ended by 2 AM.
Old 05-21-08, 05:35 PM
Cool New Member

Can't recall. I have a feeling it was towards the weekend or during the weekend. I'll have to go back to work tonight and check out what program this is. It didn't have an icon floater like USA or TNT in the corner of the screen. It just shows silent, black-white and classics. It never really showed movies later than 1980s.
Old 05-21-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't recall. I have a feeling it was towards the weekend or during the weekend. I'll have to go back to work tonight and check out what program this is. It didn't have an icon floater like USA or TNT in the corner of the screen. It just shows silent, black-white and classics. It never really showed movies later than 1980s.
TCM doesn't have a permanent watermark. One does pop up occasionally for a very brief period of time.

I can guarantee you it was Turner Classic Movies, especially with what you've described.
Old 05-22-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First, none of the Silent Sunday Nights features in March match what you are looking for (The Kid, Shoulder Arms, Metropolis, Spring Fever and Grass). During the time period you mentioned they showed The General, Battleship Potemkin, Our Dancing Daughters and Our Modern Maidens (again no matches)

However, there was one movie that might be close: on March 17 from 6-7:30 AM ET, TCM did show the 1928 movie Across To Singapore. Set in the mid 19th century and filmed mainly on board a sailing ship, this movie with Ramon Novarro (as Joel Shore) and Joan Crawford (as Priscilla) is a romantic drama about 2 brothers from a seafaring family in love with the same girl (Crawford). The older brother turns to alcohol and descends into insanity when she rejects his advances. Eventually the two brothers come to blows over this relationship. Complicating matters further is a crew member who tries to exploit this situation for his own benefit.

Now for the problem. This movie has no fire in it, but some scenes have such heavy nitrate decomposition that it might resemble fire if you weren't watching that closely.

EDIT: As it turns out, this is NOT the movie, see my next post...

Last edited by Damfino; 05-22-08 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Updated for new info.
Old 05-22-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Somebody posted Wild Oranges at the alt.movies.silent board and I can now confirm that this is the movie you are looking for.

AFAIK, TCM last showed the movie on Nov. 5, 2006 as the Silent Sunday Night movie that week. (I just skimmed through a dvd-r I made of it and everything you describe is in that movie).
Old 05-22-08, 05:26 AM
Cool New Member

It HAS to be Wild Oranges. The description of it fits the ending I remembered. I can't believe it was November when I saw it though. Time flies, I guess.

Unfortunately, this film isn't on a DVD yet. The ending was full of suspense and grippling and I remember the gun but at least I got the tall villain right. He was huge for its time.
Old 05-22-08, 05:59 AM
Suspended

It HAS to be Wild Oranges. The description of it fits the ending I remembered. I can't believe it was November when I saw it though. Time flies, I guess.

Unfortunately, this film isn't on a DVD yet. The ending was full of suspense and grippling and I remember the gun but at least I got the tall villain right. He was huge for its time.
Can we get a complete synopsis please?
Old 05-22-08, 07:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
Can we get a complete synopsis please?
imdb link
Old 05-22-08, 07:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks. I guess this has to be the most guffaw-inducing title in movie history. I mean, I know that anything with the word "wild" in the title is supposed to sell, but... oranges?! When was the last time you saw oranges growing in the wild?

I suppose the French title was Désir sous les orangers. You can just hear the juicy passions squirting... "Oh, Baby, let me do you right here on the orange crates...", "Let the pits fall where they may, Baby...", "I've planted my seed in worse soil than yours, Baby..."

Talk about "pulp" fiction...

"I guess you're new around these parts, stranger. You better watch out for them wild oranges. They've been known to bite back..."

OK, I'll stop now...

Last edited by baracine; 05-22-08 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 09:44 AM
Suspended

More Fun with Fruit...

I think I never laughed so hard since, as a kid, I saw the French-dubbed version of the American film noir They Drive By Night (1940) on Quebec television.

That film is a no-holds-barred exposé of the devious and corrupt practices of the wildcat fruit trucking industry in California. Sort of a Wages of Fear where apples take the place of dynamite and everything depends on those burly, macho, grease-covered truckers delivering their cargo of Red Delicious apples on time to the big city.

The only thing is, in French, they decided to translate the name of the apples by Succulentes Vermeilles, which is their right I guess, the choice being between the French voice actors struggling with the English words "Red Delicious" (the official name for those apples worldwide) or sounding like complete sissies while talking about Succulentes Vermeilles. "The first sunofabitch who touches my Succulentes Vermeilles gets it, OK?"

Fun-ny!

Last edited by baracine; 05-22-08 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

November... 2006. Has it been a year and a half since you last saw it? If not, looks like we're back at square one..
Old 05-22-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
November... 2006. Has it been a year and a half since you last saw it? If not, looks like we're back at square one..
Myke may be in a time warp, but Wild Oranges is certainly the movie. (Another possibility is that TCM made an undocumented schedule change. This does happen from time to time)

Also, baracine FYI: It wouldn't be impossible to find oranges in the wild as long as they aren't Navel Oranges. Wild trees won't yield the same quality of fruit though. The Navel Orange can only be reproduced with human intervention by grafting branches to trunks of other trees. This is because the Navel Orange has no seeds.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.