Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shine a Light (Rolling Stones documentary by Martin Scorsese)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-19-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is an interesting film but itís not so much a documentary as it is a concert film. Itís 122 minutes long and probably 105 to 110 minutes of it is concert footage.

What can I say? If you love the Rolling Stones youíll love this film. If you hate them, youíll hate the film. If you are indifferent like me, youíll probably be bored like I was. I did watch it all the way through mainly because of the interesting old interviews or things like seeing the Clintons greet the Rolling Stones. But the concert itself... like I said if you don't really like The Rolling Stones you will either be bored or outright hate it. However, there were three very good duets in the concert, The Rolling Stones with Christina Aguilera, Buddy Guy, and Jack White III - those were by far the best songs in my opinion.

Anyway, I saw this movie at a drive-in, it was the second film in a double feature (Iron Man being the first). There were probably 60 cars there for Iron Man and probably just 30 stayed to see Shine a Light. By the end of Shine a Light there was only one other car in the lot besides mine. I go to a decent amount of drive-in movies each year and I've never seen that many people leave a movie.

Last edited by Heat; 05-19-08 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-04-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this last night and really, really dug it. Mick might not quite have it in his voice any more, but it's not for lack of trying, and he certainly still has the energy to perform on stage. Keith & Charlie steal the show with their light, comic moments. By far the best performance is with Buddy Guy, whose voice absolutely blows Mick Jagger out the water, and whose guitar playing (even the simple two notes he begins the track with) have such great feeling. I love the still close-up shot of Buddy Guy's face as he's reading his fellow musicians, waiting for the right point to come in with the vocals. In a film with such a fluent camera, that stood out. Would have appreciated a few more cuts to Marty once the concert got going, but as a whole, very entertaining and it proves the Stones have far from lost it as a performance ensemble.
Old 06-04-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heat
Anyway, I saw this movie at a drive-in, it was the second film in a double feature (Iron Man being the first). There were probably 60 cars there for Iron Man and probably just 30 stayed to see Shine a Light. By the end of Shine a Light there was only one other car in the lot besides mine. I go to a decent amount of drive-in movies each year and I've never seen that many people leave a movie.