DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   From Alan Ball (Writer of American Beauty and Six Feet Under): Towelhead (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/531679-alan-ball-writer-american-beauty-six-feet-under-towelhead.html)

CKMorpheus 05-16-08 12:31 PM

From Alan Ball (Writer of American Beauty and Six Feet Under): Towelhead

I'm a huge Alan Ball fan (Six Feet Under is my #1 favorite show) and I know a lot of people around here are too, so check out this new movie that he's writing and directing.

Towelhead

Staring: Aaron Eckhart, Toni Collette, Maria Bello, Peter Macdissi, and Summer Bishil

TOWELHEAD follows the dark, bold and shockingly funny life of Jasira, a 13-year-old Arab-American girl, as she navigates the confusing and frightening path of adolescence and her own sexual awakening. When Jasira’s mother sends her to Houston to live with her strict Lebanese father, she quickly learns that her new neighbors find her and her father a curiosity. Worse, her budding womanhood makes her traditional and hot-tempered father uncomfortable. Lonely in this new environment, Jasira seeks friendship and acceptance from her neighbors Mr. Vuoso, an Army reservist, and Melina, a meddling but caring expectant mother. Thrown into an unfamiliar suburban world, Jasira must confront racism and hypocrisy at home and at school - and at the same time struggle to make sense of her raging hormones and newfound sexuality. Her boyfriend, Thomas, though a few years older, provides some comfort - but even that relationship causes problems when her father discovers that Thomas is black. Surrounded by adults who are just as lost as she is, Jasira yearns for understanding, even amidst often brutal acts.
Seems like somewhat standard Alan Ball fare, but he always brings something new and poignant to the table. Plus the guy who played Claire's teacher, Olivie, in Six Feet Under is playing the girls father. :thumbsup:

Trailer here .

AndyCleveland 05-16-08 12:58 PM

this is a no brainer, should be excellent

islandclaws 05-16-08 01:18 PM

The premise doesn't grab me, but knowing it's Ball makes me interested enough to want to check it out.

Daytripper 05-16-08 01:34 PM

No brainer indeed! I'm all over this. "Six Feet Under" was the best show television ever produced IMO. And I really miss it.

MartinBlank 05-16-08 02:05 PM

That's quite the title....wonder how well that'll play?

PopcornTreeCt 05-16-08 08:39 PM

How is the title any different than Jarhead? Ok, I'm kidding. I've never heard "towelhead" as a derogatory term, in fact I've never even heard the term "towelhead" before. I have had heard much worse.

As for this film, I cannot wait. I think American Beauty is one of the greatest screenplays I've ever read.

pjflyer 05-16-08 10:45 PM

I saw this in Toronto last year when it was called "Nothing Is Private." I'm a big fan of Six Feet Under, but was terribly disappointed. This film tackles some very serious issues and tries to mix in comedy and I didn't feel any of it worked.

Daytripper 09-20-08 12:11 AM

Just saw it, and thought it was great. Terrific performances all around. Especially Peter Macdissi. The scenes with Eckhart and the girl were pretty creepy and disturbing though.

lamphorn 09-20-08 05:33 PM

Pretty good. The cinematography is very reminiscent of American Beauty and the themes of adult men lusting after teenage girls is there. Anyone who has the impression that this is a screwball comedy based on the publicity should be warned that it's actually kind of disturbing.

Dr Mabuse 09-20-08 06:32 PM

Knowing who wrote it? I'll pass for sure.

majorjoe23 09-20-08 06:58 PM

So the director of American Beauty does a movie called Jarhead and the writer of American Beauty makes a movie called Towelhead? They need to rejoin forces to finish the trilogy.

Zen Peckinpah 09-20-08 08:27 PM

I can't wait to see this when it hits locally by the Jersey Shore. I'm really curious about Harvey Dent as a perv.

Josh-da-man 09-21-08 05:24 AM

Saw a preview for this on HBO. Looks interesting.

Josh-da-man 09-21-08 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 8952111)
So the director of American Beauty does a movie called Jarhead and the writer of American Beauty makes a movie called Towelhead? They need to rejoin forces to finish the trilogy.

Too bad Oliver Stone already made W... otherwise, we could have had Alan Ball and Sam Mendes' Cokehead.

Rypro 525 09-21-08 08:33 AM

if it comes out around here and not just in dc, i might check it out due to my liking of alan ball's other stuff.

lamphorn 09-21-08 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 8952638)
Too bad Oliver Stone already made W... otherwise, we could have had Alan Ball and Sam Mendes' Cokehead.

Sand ***********: The Motion Picture

Daytripper 09-21-08 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by lamphorn (Post 8951951)
Pretty good. The cinematography is very reminiscent of American Beauty and the themes of adult men lusting after teenage girls is there. Anyone who has the impression that this is a screwball comedy based on the publicity should be warned that it's actually kind of disturbing.

Nice warning. Yes, this is NO screwball comedy. And it's not only disturbing, some scenes make you quite uncomfortable. And Rypro 525, it's set to open in at least the E Street Cinemas next Friday. Most likely Shirlington too.

NoirFan 09-21-08 05:33 PM

Trailer

AndyCleveland 09-26-08 09:58 AM

any thoughts? i really want to see this

harrydoyle 09-26-08 10:09 AM

Aaron Eckhart had a pretty funny appearance on Comedy Central about this. The trailer looks good.

PopcornTreeCt 09-27-08 07:34 PM

This is finally playing by me but reviews have been brutal. Anyone see it?

Daytripper 09-27-08 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 8967927)
This is finally playing by me but reviews have been brutal. Anyone see it?

See above.

Also, I think if you look at the bad reviews, it's mostly the subject matter that's making these critics giving it a thumbs down. There are some terrific performances. And the screenplay is quite good. If you are on the fence, take in a matinee. I definitely recommend to any Alan Ball fans.

rkndkn 09-29-08 02:37 PM

Saw it this weekend and thought it was quite good. Performances are strong across the board.

Giles 09-29-08 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 8967936)
See above.

Also, I think if you look at the bad reviews, it's mostly the subject matter that's making these critics giving it a thumbs down. There are some terrific performances. And the screenplay is quite good. If you are on the fence, take in a matinee. I definitely recommend to any Alan Ball fans.

yet, a film like Me and You and Everyone We Know which tackles some similiar subject matter/taboos is critically praised... I don't buy it, nor do I particularily want to see this film, Alan Ball or not.

Ginwen 09-29-08 06:06 PM

I thought it was decent but really uncomfortable in parts. I was glad I knew the main girl was 20 and not 13.

My wife and I were literally the only ones in the theater at a 7 PM Saturday night showing, so I don't expect it to be around long.