Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Single greatest year for movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Single greatest year for movies?

Old 05-12-08, 05:38 AM
  #26  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 for genre stuff
RETURN IF THE JEDI
SUPERMAN 3
PSYCHO 2
SMOKEY & BANDIT 3
JAWS 3
AMITTYVILLE 3
STAYIN' ALIVE
NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN
OCTOPUSSY
SCARFACE
FLASHDANCE
SUDDEN IMPACT
Old 05-12-08, 08:28 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 4,774
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
1999:
Fight CLub
Magnolia
Audition
Eyes Wide SHut
Three Kings
Amer. Beauty
Summer of Sam
South PArk
The Insider
Dogma

(and many others)
While I agree that 1939 was the best year, 1999 probably the best year any of us have ever seen. The above list didn't even include the top ten box office movies of that year:

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
The Sixth Sense
Toy Story 2
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
The Matrix
Tarzan
Big Daddy
The Mummy
Runaway Bride
The Blair Witch Project
Old 05-12-08, 08:50 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,916
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, 1999 immediately came to mind. I'd also have to say 2007 wasn't bad, because I saw more movies theatrically last year than any year before.

I'll let film historians debate different years, I just know what I liked.
Old 05-12-08, 08:54 AM
  #29  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
I'd have to vote for 1939 as well.

Some of my favorite years are 1951 with:

Strangers on a Train
Alice in Wonderland
An American in Paris
The Day the Earth Stood Still
A Place in the Sun
A Streetcar Names Desire
Scrooge
The African Queen
Death of a Salesman
The Thing From Another World


You know, we could do a list that that for almost every year from 1939 on up.

The real best year is the current year, because we have access to everything, new and old.
Old 05-12-08, 09:08 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta/Boston
Posts: 334
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about the single worst year for movies?
Old 05-12-08, 09:35 AM
  #31  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bellefontaine, Ohio
Posts: 5,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rehmus
how about the single worst year for movies?
2000 Hands down.


Other good 1999 movies:
Titus
The Green Mile
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
ANy Given Sunday
The World is Not Enough (Not a great movie I guess but it does have one of the best Bond songs f not the best.)
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
Being John Malkovich
Old 05-12-08, 10:04 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 30,717
Received 1,496 Likes on 945 Posts
1962 had:

Birdman of Alcatraz
Cape Fear
Carnival of Souls
Day of the Triffids, The
Dr. No
How the West Was Won
Lawrence of Arabia
Lolita
Longest Day, The
Manchurian Candidate, The
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Miracle Worker, The
Music Man, The
Mutiny on the Bounty
Ride the High Country
To Kill a Mockingbird
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Old 05-12-08, 10:15 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,964
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts
1984:

amadeus
karate kid
ghostbusters
indiana jones and the temple of doom
gremlins
beverly hills cop
police academy
footloose
romancing the stone
purple rain
the natural

Last edited by GuessWho; 05-12-08 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 10:51 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18,389
Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
That's easy. Just find out what year everybody turned 12.
That would be 1982 for me...let's see:

E.T.
Blade Runner
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Tootsie
An Officer & A Gentleman
48 Hours
Ghandi
First Blood

Yes, I ammend my answer...1982 WAS the best year for movies.
Old 05-12-08, 11:02 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
amplified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,255
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me nothing tops 1999 for it's overall selection, 2007 doesn't even come close. Here are a few that come to mind.

American Beauty
Cider House Rules
Magnolia
The Insider
The Sixth Sense
Being John Malkovich
The Hurricane
Eyes Wide Shut
Snow Falling on Cedars
The Matrix
Fight Club
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
The End of the Affair
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Girl, Interrupted
All About My Mother
Election
The Green Mile
Old 05-12-08, 11:19 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 30,717
Received 1,496 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
That's easy. Just find out what year everybody turned 12.
1974. Not bad.

The Godfather Part II
Chinatown
Lenny
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Conversation
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Phantom of the Paradise
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
A Woman Under the Influence
Death Wish
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
California Split
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Old 05-12-08, 12:17 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,381
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
1989

Batman
Lethal Weapon 2
Dead Poets Society
Back to the Future Part II
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
When Harry Met Sally...
Parenthood
The Little Mermaid
Cinema Paradiso
Old 05-12-08, 07:46 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
2000 Hands down.
Negative.

2000 was a great year.

Almost Famous
American Psycho
Amorres Perros
George Washington
Gladiator
In the Mood for Love
Memento
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Snatch
Traffic
Unbreakable
X-Men

4 of the films are my favorites of the decade.
Old 05-13-08, 05:23 AM
  #39  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rehmus
how about the single worst year for movies?
One comes to mind 1986. I found maybe a couple that I wanted to see or rented that I liked.
Old 05-13-08, 08:20 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And just to add on to 1939:

Gunga Din (which Leonard Maltin gives 4 out of 4 stars, and describes it as THE Hollywood action-adventure movie)

and Son of Frankenstein, one of the last of the great Universal horrors of that era.
Old 05-13-08, 11:21 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 52,826
Received 1,051 Likes on 866 Posts
I'm in for 1939. 1969 has its supporters too:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)
Easy Rider (1969)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
The Italian Job (1969)
Andrey Rublyov (1969)
Take the Money and Run (1969)
True Grit (1969)
Z (1969)
Sterile Cuckoo, The (1969)
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
Anne of the Thousand Days (1969)
Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)
Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The (1969)
Old 05-13-08, 12:07 PM
  #42  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,669
Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm in for 1939. 1969 has its supporters too:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)
Easy Rider (1969)
The Wild Bunch (1969)

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
The Italian Job (1969)
Andrey Rublyov (1969)
Take the Money and Run (1969)
True Grit (1969)
Z (1969)
Sterile Cuckoo, The (1969)
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
Anne of the Thousand Days (1969)
Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)
Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The (1969)
the first 4 are among my favs of all time.
Old 05-13-08, 12:12 PM
  #43  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,669
Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts
1982 wasn't so bad...

1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Universal) $359,197,037
2. Tootsie (Columbia) $177,200,000
3. An Officer and a Gentleman (Paramount) $129,795,554
4. Rocky III (United Artists) $125,049,120

5. Porky's (Fox) $105,492,483

6. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Paramount) $78,912,963
7. 48 Hrs. (Paramount) $78,868,508
8. Poltergeist (MGM) $76,606,280

9. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (Universal) $69,701,637
10. Annie (Columbia) $57,059,003
11. The Verdict (Fox) $53,977,250
12. Gandhi (Columbia) $52,767,889
13. First Blood (Orion) $47,212,904
14. The Toy (Columbia) $47,118,057
15. Firefox (Warner Bros.) $46,708,276
16. The Dark Crystal (Universal) $40,577,001
17. Conan the Barbarian (Universal) $39,565,475
18. The Sword and the Sorcerer (Group 1) $39,103,425
19. Best Friends (Warner Bros.) $36,821,203
20. Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip (Columbia) $36,299,720
21. Friday the 13th Part III (Paramount) $34,581,519
22. Tron (Buena Vista) $33,000,000
23. Young Doctors in Love (Fox) $30,688,860
24. Sophie's Choice (Universal) $30,036,000
25. The World According to Garp (Warner Bros.) $29,712,172
26. Victor/Victoria (MGM) $28,215,453
27. Blade Runner (Warner Bros.) $27,580,111
28. Airplane II: The Sequel (Paramount) $27,150,534
29. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Universal) $27,092,880
30. Some Kind of Hero (Paramount) $23,671,186
31. The Road Warrior (Warner Bros.) $23,667,907
32. Bambi (Buena Vista) $23,000,000
33. Pink Floyd The Wall (MGM) $22,244,207
34. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Paramount) $21,437,879
35. Things Are Tough All Over (Columbia) $21,134,374
36. Night Shift (Warner Bros.) $21,095,638
37. Creepshow (Warner Bros.) $21,028,755
38. Quest for Fire (Fox) $20,959,585
39. The Man From Snowy River (Fox) $20,659,423
40. Six Pack (Fox) $20,225,989
41. My Favorite Year (MGM) $20,123,620
42. Deathtrap (Warner Bros.) $19,282,134
43. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (Universal) $18,196,170
44. Peter Pan (Buena Vista) $17,200,000
45. Zapped! (Embassy) $16,897,768
46. They Call Me Bruce (Film Ventures Intl) $16,894,678
47. Death Wish II (Filmways) $16,100,000
48. Kiss Me Goodbye (Fox) $15,782,759
49. Star Wars (Fox) $15,476,285
50. Grease 2 (Paramount)

they may not all have been box office gold, but some of them are oft talked about genre classics in some regard.

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-13-08 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 08:07 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
1982 wasn't so bad...

1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Universal) $359,197,037
2. Tootsie (Columbia) $177,200,000
3. An Officer and a Gentleman (Paramount) $129,795,554
4. Rocky III (United Artists) $125,049,120

5. Porky's (Fox) $105,492,483

6. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Paramount) $78,912,963
7. 48 Hrs. (Paramount) $78,868,508
8. Poltergeist (MGM) $76,606,280

9. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (Universal) $69,701,637
10. Annie (Columbia) $57,059,003
11. The Verdict (Fox) $53,977,250
12. Gandhi (Columbia) $52,767,889
13. First Blood (Orion) $47,212,904
14. The Toy (Columbia) $47,118,057
15. Firefox (Warner Bros.) $46,708,276
16. The Dark Crystal (Universal) $40,577,001
17. Conan the Barbarian (Universal) $39,565,475
18. The Sword and the Sorcerer (Group 1) $39,103,425
19. Best Friends (Warner Bros.) $36,821,203
20. Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip (Columbia) $36,299,720
21. Friday the 13th Part III (Paramount) $34,581,519
22. Tron (Buena Vista) $33,000,000
23. Young Doctors in Love (Fox) $30,688,860
24. Sophie's Choice (Universal) $30,036,000
25. The World According to Garp (Warner Bros.) $29,712,172
26. Victor/Victoria (MGM) $28,215,453
27. Blade Runner (Warner Bros.) $27,580,111
28. Airplane II: The Sequel (Paramount) $27,150,534
29. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Universal) $27,092,880
30. Some Kind of Hero (Paramount) $23,671,186
31. The Road Warrior (Warner Bros.) $23,667,907
32. Bambi (Buena Vista) $23,000,000
33. Pink Floyd The Wall (MGM) $22,244,207
34. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Paramount) $21,437,879
35. Things Are Tough All Over (Columbia) $21,134,374
36. Night Shift (Warner Bros.) $21,095,638
37. Creepshow (Warner Bros.) $21,028,755
38. Quest for Fire (Fox) $20,959,585
39. The Man From Snowy River (Fox) $20,659,423
40. Six Pack (Fox) $20,225,989
41. My Favorite Year (MGM) $20,123,620
42. Deathtrap (Warner Bros.) $19,282,134
43. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (Universal) $18,196,170
44. Peter Pan (Buena Vista) $17,200,000
45. Zapped! (Embassy) $16,897,768
46. They Call Me Bruce (Film Ventures Intl) $16,894,678
47. Death Wish II (Filmways) $16,100,000
48. Kiss Me Goodbye (Fox) $15,782,759
49. Star Wars (Fox) $15,476,285
50. Grease 2 (Paramount)

they may not all have been box office gold, but some of them are oft talked about genre classics in some regard.
I think we have a winner for worst year. All those movies suck except Raiders of the Lost Ark and Blade Runner.
Old 05-13-08, 10:23 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,611
Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think we have a winner for worst year. All those movies suck except Raiders of the Lost Ark and Blade Runner.
Uhhhh...

I hope you were just kidding.

Star Trek II - GREAT movie
Rocky III - Hell of an entertaining movie
First Blood - Damn good movie

(and that's just a few of the good/great ones)
Old 05-14-08, 07:56 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Uhhhh...

I hope you were just kidding.

Star Trek II - GREAT movie
Rocky III - Hell of an entertaining movie
First Blood - Damn good movie

(and that's just a few of the good/great ones)
Uhhhh...

I stick to my post. Citing Rocky III as a good example from 1982 is like saying 2008 was pretty good because of Cloverfield.
Old 05-15-08, 04:00 PM
  #47  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,669
Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think we have a winner for worst year. All those movies suck except Raiders of the Lost Ark and Blade Runner.
movies don't have to be Oscar caliber to be quite enjoyable, endurable loves of yesterday. most of the ones that i bolded are popular as hell, classic in the genre sense, not Oscar worthy, but just re-watchable and entertaining as hell.

1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial...bonafide classic
2. Tootsie...very highly regarded
3. An Officer and a Gentleman...romantic schmaltz that has lasted thru years
4. Rocky III...not deep by 1 & 2 standards, but a lot of fun.
6. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan...bonafide classic and arguably best in entire series.
7. 48 Hrs....genre defining
8. Poltergeist...horror staple
12. Gandhi...Oscar winning
13. First Blood...cult favorite
16. The Dark Crystal...cult favorite
22. Tron...cult favorite
27. Blade Runner...cult God
29. Fast Times at Ridgemont High...cult favorite
31. The Road Warrior...genre defining
33. Pink Floyd The Wall...mind-bending classic
37. Creepshow...cult favorite
45. Zapped! ...c'mon now!

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-15-08 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 11:43 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Mountain Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,416
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think we have a winner for worst year. All those movies suck except Raiders of the Lost Ark and Blade Runner.


Gee that's interesting because...


Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
2007

There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Gone Baby Gone
Into the Wild
Zodiac
Across the Universe
Ratatouille
Atonement
Eastern Promises
Darjeeling Limited
Lust, Caution
Juno
Michael Clayton
3:10 to Yuma
Elizabeth The Golden Age
Superbad
Knocked Up
Sunshine
The Lookout
Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix

I think we have a winner for worst year. All those movies suck except No Country For Old Men, Juno, and Superbad.
Old 05-16-08, 05:14 AM
  #49  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
I think we have a winner for worst year. All those movies suck except No Country For Old Men, Juno, and Superbad.
Many would argue that those three all sucked. And that many you thought sucked were awesome.

Personally, I think Juno and Superbad were mediocre films. But There Will be Blood and No Country for Old Men are two of the best films of the last ten years, so they bring the year up.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.