Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office: 5/9-5/11 "No, Speed Racer, No...Iron Man is #1"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Box Office: 5/9-5/11 "No, Speed Racer, No...Iron Man is #1"

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greg9x
at those thinking Sex and the City will bomb..... no, it won't be THE blockbuster of the summer, but if you think it will do badly then you don't know many women ! (and hint, the demographic for it won't be posting here.....so you won't get much 'buzz' on it)

Oh, and I am one of the ones who cringed when the trailer came out.... but of course my gf was giddy.
I know plenty of women.

I only know 1 who watched S&TC, and she's think's it's been too long since the series was over for the movie. She's lost interest in the characters.
Old 05-12-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Why do so many people assume Sex and the City will be a hit?

It's a cult show from a pay cable channel that has a relatively small audience. It's not that different from Firefly going to the big screen, and we all know how that went at the box office.

I'm not saying it's going to bomb, necessarily, because the budget is relatively small, but it's not going to be some runaway hit. The audience for the show wasn't all that big, and I don't see the movie suddenly converting a couple million new fans.

It should do respectable business considering that it is a movie based on a pay cable TV show, but I can't see it making more than $50 million at most at the box office (someone flag this post to bring it up later if the movie hits $100+ million, and then make fun of my "predictions" ).
Relatively small audience!? It ran on HBO for six seasons. Their second highest rated series, second only to "The Sopranos". Has been in sydication for over two years now. The DVD rentals and sales have done quite well. I think you are underestimating it's "cult". Now, do you think a "Sopranos" movie when it's made will do just respectable business too?
Old 05-12-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sex and the City will do great box office.
Old 05-12-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
This is what I don't get. Why are people rooting for it to bomb?! Don't want to watch it, don't! But why are people cheering for a film to bomb?
I'm glad it bombed because it just looked ridiculously stupid. Any movie that looks stupid in my book, I'm hoping it bombs so studios decide to produce quality summer flicks like Iron Man instead of garbage in my eyes.
Old 05-12-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I have 0 intentions of watching Speed Racer. All the commercials make me thing its a Wii video game or some sort of Anime. I hope the damn thing bombs as its not going to make any money in the next few weeks against Indy, Sex and the City or Narnia.
This is what I don't get. Why are people rooting for it to bomb?! Don't want to watch it, don't! But why are people cheering for a film to bomb?
Give GizmoDVD a break, he has a valid point. Why should we root for movies that go off the beaten path to do well? It doesn't make sense. Hollywood should be putting it's money into tried and trues, like The Day After Tomorrow, Matrix, Fast and the Furious franchises, Prom Night, Made of Honor, etc; type movies. None of this creative shit.

Plus, you should know by now:

Family movies = bad.
Creative movies = bad.
Different = bad.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-12-08 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Maybe cause WB could have used the money to make a Green Lantern or Flash movie. At least thats my answer

Like others the trailer turned me off. The idea for a movie is interesting, but Speed Racer to me is some crappy cartoon that played late nights on M-TV in my early teens. I don't think the audience is there anymore, (or current children weren't familiar with it) and if they were, trailers finished it.

Last edited by stingermck; 05-12-08 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
did you see the matrix sequels? that's why.
Yes, I did, and I loved both of them. I don't mind philosophy and unanswered questions in my movies.

IF I hadn't liked them, the Bros don't owe me anything. If I don't like them, I just won't watch them again! If a director keeps putting out movies *I* don't like, I might skip future ones, but it would be silly to wish their movies do badly.

Chanster, did you watch Speed Racer?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-12-08 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 09:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yes, the reason people hated the Matrix sequels was because of the philosophy and unanswered questions.
Old 05-12-08, 10:02 AM
Banned

I know I have said that this movie looks visually horrendous and predicted that it would bomb but I am stating to actually feel bad for the film.
THE FILM IS NOW AN INTERNATIONAL DISASTER!
From comingsoon.net : "Iron Man dominated the international box office this weekend, adding $39 million from 7,500 theaters in its second weekend, while What Happens in Vegas earned $23 million from 3,902 locations and Speed Racer made just $12.8 million from 3,940 theaters overseas. "

SO let me get this correct. What happens In Las Vegas did better overseas than Speed Racer even though it was on less screens and had to overcome the myth that most comedies dont translate well overseas....

WOW. That is horrible. Is this one of the biggest disasters ever?

Last edited by chris_sc77; 05-12-08 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on what the budget was. Since none is available (just speculation which seems way blown up in a "competing studio" way to me), we won't know for a while.

That said, not quite yet. It is entirely dependent on what areas it was released in, as it has a very good chance of making bank in South Korea and Japan (keeping in perspective, the highest grossing film in South Korea's history was The Host (about $65m usd), and in Japan was Spirited Away ($229,607,870 usd)) We'll see.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-12-08 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 10:21 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
To the people who consider Sex and the City to be the equivalent of Firefly, you don't have a clue as to how popular and how much the show became part of our culture. Not to mention the DVDs have been huge, and they're still on TBS and syndicated. I don't know if it will be HUGE, but it will make some real money, much, much more than Serenity.
Old 05-12-08, 10:26 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Maybe cause WB could have used the money to make a Green Lantern or Flash movie. At least thats my answer
But using that logic, once Speed Racer has already been made you should be cheering for it to succeed because now WB will be even *less* likely to invest in a pricey Green Lantern or Flash movie.

I saw Speed Racer on Friday and kind of enjoyed it in a strange way, but even while watching it I knew it was in trouble at the box office (not even counting the mostly empty theater, which could have been blamed on our freakish May snowstorm). It tries too hard to appeal to both the nostalgic adult fans and the little kids, and probably alienates many people in both audiences. I mean, a two-hour, 15-minute movie filled with goofy scenes that only appeal to *really* young kids... I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Last edited by DRG; 05-12-08 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
To the people who consider Sex and the City to be the equivalent of Firefly, you don't have a clue as to how popular and how much the show became part of our culture. Not to mention the DVDs have been huge, and they're still on TBS and syndicated. I don't know if it will be HUGE, but it will make some real money, much, much more than Serenity.
Exactly. Which is what I was trying to say above. Hell, do the film makers expect it to make more than 50-75 million? That's what most romcoms do anyway. Given it's a huge and much loved show, I could see it easily making around 100M. Give or take a few Cosmos.
Old 05-12-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I agree. Next, what's up with these Comedies that are like.. romantic? And enough already Dramas that pander to the Oscar voting crowd! We don't need entertainment of that nature!
Your sarcasm is appreciated. But I think you are missing the point. All the superhero movies are essentially the same film. Good guy triumphs over evil. Good guy struggles dealing with powers. I'm not saying I don't enjoy them, but I really feel that perhaps they could do more with them? I see nothing revolutionary in these comic book flicks, but I did see something of that caliber in Speed Racer. The graphics and colours were amazing. And for those complaining about a lack of story or interesting characters, I'm wondering if they realize the same could be said for some of these heralded comic book films.

And I guess I'm one of the few looking forward to Sex and the City...I think it'll do modestly well at the box office.
Old 05-12-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Plus, when on HBO, the series finale drew upwards of 10.6m viewers. This on a subscription channel. This is before it was neutered and put on TBS and then syndicated out to every channel known to man. It also doesn't account for DVD sales and rentals.

Per comparison, Firefly's most watched episode attracted 5.50m viewers on Fox (it averaged around 4.6m viewers, the 5.50m was the second episode, people decided to not stick around). But that doesn't account for its DVD sales.

I'm not rooting for the movie per se, but I think it's stupid to write it off.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-12-08 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Exactly. Which is what I was trying to say above. Hell, do the film makers expect it to make more than 50-75 million? That's what most romcoms do anyway. Given it's a huge and much loved show, I could see it easily making around 100M. Give or take a few Cosmos.
I think SATC will pass 100 million. Get Smart, not so much. That one will have a tough time getting past 40.
Old 05-12-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
But using that logic, once Speed Racer has already been made you should be cheering for it to succeed because now WB will be even *less* likely to invest in a pricey Green Lantern or Flash movie.
True, I did go see Transformers just so it would bank and GI Joe would get made. It worked!
Old 05-12-08, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Give GizmoDVD a break, he has a valid point. Why should we root for movies that go off the beaten path to do well? It doesn't make sense. Hollywood should be putting it's money into tried and trues, like The Day After Tomorrow, Matrix, Fast and the Furious franchises, Prom Night, Made of Honor, etc; type movies. None of this creative shit.

Plus, you should know by now:

Family movies = bad.
Creative movies = bad.
Different = bad.
Speed Racer...creative? Yeah, in the same sense Master of Disguise was too, right? The movie just just looks bad. It bombed and rightfully so. Even Prom Night looked somewhat decent, at least a rental, this film looks like something I will avoid even if given to me for free. Don't worry guys, it will be available on DVD and Blu-ray in 6-8 weeks to recoup as much as possible.
Old 05-12-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, creative as in it's something that hasn't been done a million times over, and pulls it off quite successfully, well sold or not. Master of Disguise? Where the hell did you pull that abortion out of?

It's annoying to read comments like yours because it's got an arrogant/whiny "It doesn't appeal to me, I don't like it, don't do it again!" tone and is based entirely off a preview. That's all.

Oh, and how is the hell does Prom Night even look decent? Was that sarcasm? I don't get it...
Old 05-12-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's annoying to read comments like yours because it's got an arrogant/whiny "It doesn't appeal to me, I don't like it, don't do it again!" tone and is based entirely off a preview. That's all.
Seconded. Times ten.
Old 05-12-08, 01:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kstublen
Your sarcasm is appreciated. But I think you are missing the point. All the superhero movies are essentially the same film. Good guy triumphs over evil.
And what was the plot of Speed Racer again?
Old 05-12-08, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
No, creative as in it's something that hasn't been done a million times over, and pulls it off quite successfully, well sold or not. Master of Disguise? Where the hell did you pull that abortion out of?

Oh, and how is the hell does Prom Night even look decent? Was that sarcasm? I don't get it...
I'm sorry. Lets all go see Speed Racer! Its obviously doing very well at the box office so that 'creativity' really worked out well. I hope we see more movies like it in the future.

Sorry you don't like my opinion, but apparently I'm not alone considering it bombed.
Old 05-12-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bombing is one thing, hoping for it because it doesn't cater to your taste is another thing altogether.
Old 05-12-08, 01:14 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
RichC2, your words are wasted on Gizmo, who somehow believes that box office and creativity are somehow one of the same.
Old 05-12-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I figured that out a while ago, I'm just kind of bored this afternoon .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.