DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Bioshock -- based on the video game -- news, rumors, etc. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/531212-bioshock-based-video-game-news-rumors-etc.html)

An4h0ny 05-09-08 11:21 AM

Bioshock -- based on the video game -- news, rumors, etc.

Bioshock, one of the greatest games to be released in the last few years is being made into a film and Gore 'POTC' Verbinski is directing it. Screenwriter is John 'Sweeney Todd' Logan. Both will collaborate with game creator Ken Levine.

Surely greatness will result from this.... possibly the finest game-to-film adaptation of all time?

/fanboy

Since we caught wind of a potential Bioshock film adaptation earlier this year, I've been dreading the day we finally got some concrete information on the project. After all, the highly stylized and singularly atmospheric game was pretty much perfect, and it's not as if video game film adaptations have historically faired well.

But now that Gore Verbinski has been announced as the director, I'm going to publically renounce my displeasure with the project and replace it with fanboyish glee. There aren't many directors in Hollywood with a strong visual sense, not these days anyway, and Verbinski has always struck me as a rare talent when it comes to style.

- alwayswatching.org

http://www.alwayswatching.org/news/g...cting-bioshock

Groucho 05-09-08 11:24 AM

Gore "Mouse Hunt" Verbinski and John "Bats" Logan? Seems like a perfect match for Bioshock!

RichC2 05-09-08 11:41 AM

Lets not forget Lincoln, surely he'll write a scene where Liam Neeson trains his disciples in martial arts to form a better country for all of us.

An4h0ny 05-09-08 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Gore "Mouse Hunt" Verbinski and John "Bats" Logan? Seems like a perfect match for Bioshock!

maybe Lou Diamond Phillips can play Frank Fontaine

Drop 05-09-08 12:17 PM

A few good signs to me include: Gore is aiming for an R rating, saying he doesn't think it appeals to children. And that he considers it an adventure film, but the same way Blade Runner is an adventure, a dramatic adventure.

Haven't played the game, but from what I heard and read excites me and it looks likes they have the right direction in the pre-production phase.

notkevinbacon 05-09-08 12:35 PM

Yeah, I am all over this. The game had amazing atmosphere and, actually, a pretty inventive twisty story, IMHO.

I think there is a lot of good material there for a movie... I'd agree Verbinski has a nice visual flare. Though the pirates movies are pretty awful, a lot due to the script and length... I wouldn't mind an epic Bioshock flick at all.

fumanstan 05-09-08 12:38 PM

The game kicks ass and I like Gore's work. Sounds good to me.

Michael Corvin 05-09-08 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Drop
A few good signs to me include: Gore is aiming for an R rating, saying he doesn't think it appeals to children.

Really? Little girls sucking the lifeblood out of dead psychopaths isn't for children? Who would've thought?

Drop 05-09-08 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Really? Little girls sucking the lifeblood out of dead psychopaths isn't for children? Who would've thought?

But they could very easily cut that out of a script. It's not a given Bioshock would be adapted into a R-rated film. Not when PG-13 is all the rage.

Besides that, I think he's talking from an intellectual level. Children wouldn't have much interest in the subject matter, so why bother watering down the script? An R-rating is a clear indicator this is aimed at adults.

Giantrobo 05-09-08 02:44 PM

Maybe I'll finish the games before the movie hits. :lol:

An4h0ny 05-09-08 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Maybe I'll finish the games before the movie hits. :lol:

it's one of the few games of that size that i actually finished in the past few years... i saved every little sister and it felt pretty good. :)

worth getting through all the way to the end... more so than most games, imo.

RichC2 05-09-08 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Drop
But they could very easily cut that out of a script. It's not a given Bioshock would be adapted into a R-rated film. Not when PG-13 is all the rage.

Besides that, I think he's talking from an intellectual level. Children wouldn't have much interest in the subject matter, so why bother watering down the script? An R-rating is a clear indicator this is aimed at adults.

I would have killed* to see a movie like BioShock when I was 13.

* Term picked since videogames make kids violent.

NIMH Rat 05-09-08 04:08 PM

The game had its problems, but the atmosphere was uncanny.

I'm actually looking forward to this......

PopcornTreeCt 05-09-08 04:39 PM

I'm really looking forward to it. Couldn't have picked a better director. Well, maybe but not by much.

beesonosu 05-09-08 11:05 PM

I'm looking forward to a Bioshock:The Movie game!

Troy Stiffler 05-10-08 11:47 PM

Cool. I caught some of The Weather Man on TV tonight.

Gore Verbinski is a very talented director.

An4h0ny 05-11-08 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Anything's better than Paul W.S. Anderson or Uwe Boll. :up:

agreed

Rival11 05-12-08 09:11 PM

It is a great game but definitely suffered from the "run around to retrieve the 15 different pieces for the contraption" syndrome - a trend in video games that needs to become extinct - really was suprised to see this stuff in this type of game - especially with its excellent storyline.

As long as the game was, it definitely didn't feel that long due to lack of innovation on the gameplay side but once again............that story sure was kick ass and made a guy like me who doesn't really care for sci-fi lap every moment of it up - very tense the whole way through as well.

With GV at the helm, this is has an excllent shot - remember the Ring remake? IMO not much to work with there from the original Japanese film (and yes, count me in as a member of the "Japanese ending was better" crew) but he pulled it off.

thegame370 05-13-08 05:53 AM

I had my problems with this game but the atmosphere and story is undeniable! It'll be interesting to see what Gore V. can do with this.

Michael Corvin 06-19-08 06:28 AM

Here is a DAMN cool fan made trailer.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9iNfIwEro8&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J9iNfIwEro8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

maxfisher 06-20-08 06:59 AM

I don't usually enjoy fan-made trailers, but that was bad ass.

Bandit03 04-27-09 01:24 PM

Re: Gore Verbinski to helm Bioshock film, partners with John Logan & Ken Levine. PWN

Universal halts Verbinski's 'Bioshock'. Taken from variety.com

Universal Pictures has put the brakes on “Bioshock,” the Gore Verbinski-directed live-action adaptation of the bestselling Take-Two Interactive vidgame.

The picture was in pre-production, but the studio has halted that effort -- and let some production staff go -- as Universal and Verbinski figure out a way to make the film on a less costly budget.

The John Logan-scripted picture was gearing up to shoot in Los Angeles, but that changed when the budget rose to about $160 million. U and Verbinski are looking at alternatives, such as shooting in London, as a way to pare costs.

Story takes place in the underwater city Rapture, where a pilot crash-lands near a secret entrance and becomes involved in a power struggle.

“We were asked by Universal to move the film outside the U.S. to take advantage of a tax credit,” Verbinski said. “We are evaluating whether this is something we want to do. In the meantime, the film is in a holding pattern.”

Verbinski and sources at the studio say they are determined to make the pic. Indeed, Verbinski (who has also been directing the Paramount animated film “Rango”) bowed out of directing a fourth installment of “Pirates of the Caribbean” so he could direct “Bioshock” and produce under his Blind Wink banner.

Studio sources said that the budget simply became untenable, but U sources said the situation is no different than when the studio delayed the start of the untitled Robin Hood pic that Ridley Scott is now directing with Russell Crowe starring. U is making that picture for $130 million, a much smaller budget than in its first incarnation. For a number of reasons that included the need for extra script work, that picture temporarily halted, which enabled Crowe to star in “State of Play” when Brad Pitt fell out.

All parties vow that “Bioshock” will not become another “Halo,” the would-be live-action adaptation of the Microsoft game that was cancelled when U and Fox got cold feet over budget fears.
:sad: Hopefully this gets off the ground again

Seven%Solution 04-27-09 02:45 PM

Re: Gore Verbinski to helm Bioshock film, partners with John Logan & Ken Levine. PWN

And off to development hell it goes...

dan30oly 04-27-09 02:55 PM

In all fairness $160 million is waaay too big of a budget for a film that MIGHT break $80 mil box office. I have my doubts that it would even do that much, probably closer to $50 mil.

RichC2 04-27-09 02:58 PM

I agree, $160m is too high for something that seems like it'd be a niche title.

That said, I'm still all for it.