DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What is your favorite Chris Farley Film? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/531048-what-your-favorite-chris-farley-film.html)

Bandoman 05-07-08 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07
''Look, you're not John Belushi. And when you overdose or kill yourself, you will not have the same acclaim that John did. You don't have the record of accomplishment that he had.''

Wow. What an asshole. I liked Chevy back in the SNL days, and for a few movies thereafter, but he became a bloated caracature of himself long ago.

An4h0ny 05-07-08 05:44 PM

http://www.massivelatte.com/images/tommyboy.jpg

but i voted for black sheep to throw it a sympathy vote

i own that also and like it a lot

Rockmjd23 05-07-08 05:54 PM

1. Tommy Boy

2. Black Sheep

3. Beverly Hills Ninja

4. Almost Heroes

Brack 05-07-08 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07
''Look, you're not John Belushi. And when you overdose or kill yourself, you will not have the same acclaim that John did. You don't have the record of accomplishment that he had.''

Taken way out of context.

For anyone who cares what Chase said:

"I sat with him, and I said, 'Look, you're not John Belushi,' " Chase recalled. " 'And when you overdose or kill yourself, you will not have the same acclaim that John did. You don't have the record of accomplishment that he had. You don't have the same background that he had. And you don't have the same cultural status that he had. ... You're just going to end up being an overweight guy who could fall on his stomach and had one or two funny things in his career but nothing that ever really stood out. You'll be a blip in the New York Times obituaries page and that'll be it. Is that what you want?"

Doesn't sound like such an asshole now, does he?

bwvanh114 05-07-08 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Brack

"I sat with him, and I said, 'Look, you're not John Belushi,' " Chase recalled. " 'And when you overdose or kill yourself, you will not have the same acclaim that John did. You don't have the record of accomplishment that he had. You don't have the same background that he had. And you don't have the same cultural status that he had. ... You're just going to end up being an overweight guy who could fall on his stomach and had one or two funny things in his career but nothing that ever really stood out. You'll be a blip in the New York Times obituaries page and that'll be it. Is that what you want?"

Seems about right. No way I'd call Chase an asshole for saying that.

J. Farley 05-07-08 06:54 PM

Almost Heroes, which I find to be quite underrated. It seems to have a small cult following that consists only of my friends and myself, haha.

missingtoof 05-07-08 08:19 PM

Another vote for "Tommy Boy." Looking at the results, it should have also been options 2, 3, and 4. -wink-

zekeburger1979 05-07-08 09:18 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/tommyboy.jpg

My family quotes this movie all the time.

Tommy: I l-left a message.
Richard Hayden: A message? What number did you call?
Tommy: Two, four, niner, five, six, seven...
Richard Hayden: I can't hear you, you're trailing off and did I catch a niner in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?
Tommy: No, it was cordless.
Richard Hayden: You know what? Don't. Not here, not now.

When I graduate college later this year, I know my brother will quote this to me:

Tommy: Did you hear I finally graduated?
Richard Hayden: Yeah, and just a shade under a decade too, all right.
Tommy: You know a lot of people go to college for seven years.
Richard Hayden: I know, they're called doctors.

B.A. 05-07-08 09:23 PM

Guess I am the second vote for Beverly Hills Ninja.

Take that, bitches!

taa455 05-07-08 09:46 PM

MANY hilarious lines in Tommy Boy. Love it.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time

FiveO 05-07-08 09:56 PM

"Fat man in a little coat...."

kstublen 05-07-08 10:26 PM

Gotta love the bit where he caught David Spade in the hotel room too.

antennaball 05-07-08 10:56 PM

"...you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ass"

UAIOE 05-08-08 12:29 AM

Tommy Boy

Richard Hayden: Housekeeping. You want mint for pillow?
Tommy: Please go away let me sleep, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
Richard Hayden: Housekeeping. You want me to jerk you off?
Tommy: What kind of hotel is this? Who the hell are... Oh, it's you.
Richard Hayden: Good morning, sunshine.

mndtrp 05-08-08 12:49 AM

Tommy Boy

by far.

Nesbit 05-08-08 12:49 AM

Dirty Work

MasterCXtreme 05-08-08 01:10 AM

I read the recent article about him with that quote... and it still sounds asshole-ish to me. Acclaim? Record of accomplishment? I'll admit that Belushi was probably the more talented of the two (Blues Brothers is one of my favorites but Tommy Boy is as well) but what they left behind amounts to about the same - starring in a few funny films, co-starring in a few others, and ~5 years on SNL. To a man who's just about hit the bottom (and I think Chris had at that point), that's not what he needed to hear from somebody he looked up to. At least not in that situation.

Although after reading about it, I can understand how there didn't seem like much else could be done at the time anyways. And maybe it's just a difference of opinion between generations. That and Chase always seemed to have that "it'll never get better than me"-arrogance to him, especially now more than ever.

And I vote Tommy Boy... he was my hero when I was a kid. It's a damn shame what happened. I would have loved to hear his Shrek - apparently it was miles above Mike Myers'. And the Fatty Arbuckle movie would have been perfect as well.

...I'll back up the love for Almost Heroes as well.

MovieMaster11 05-08-08 01:12 AM

"That Saigon whore bit my nose off!!! " :lol:

coli 05-08-08 06:17 AM

See, I sorta agree with Chase in a sense that Farley was going down a path of ruin, and he was never going to have the same impact that Belushi did, simply because Belushi was part of the original SNL gang, and just like anything original, it is hard to top.

What I disagree is that Farley was a blip on the Obitutary page, because the fact that we are all talking about him 10 years after his death, and going by this poll, he essentially did one great movie, and couple of OK movies, plus his stint on SNL. To me it is a pretty good resume for such a short career. Does anyone talk about Phil Hartman anymore? That guy was talented as hell, and probably better on SNL then Farley was, but he seems to be forgotten, while Farley isn't. Just my take.

Edit: Although this is coming from Chevy Chase, who really hasn't been funny since Fletch? That is over 20 years now.

Rockmjd23 05-08-08 06:19 AM

Yes.

The Bus 05-08-08 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by coli
Does anyone talk about Phil Hartman anymore? That guy was talented as hell, and probably better on SNL then Farley was, but he seems to be forgotten, while Farley isn't. Just my take.

Edit: Although this is coming from Chevy Chase, who really hasn't been funny since Fletch? That is over 20 years now.

I hear both mentioned just as much. Now compare them to, say, John Lovitz.

Yakuza Bengoshi 05-08-08 06:56 PM

I've never seen a Chris Farley movie, but I voted for <i>Beverly Hills Ninja</i> because ninjas make me laugh, and I chuckled just thinking of Farley being a ninja in Beverly Hills. I hope I'm in a waiting room someday where a TV is playing this movie.

jus10 05-08-08 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by J. Farley
Almost Heroes, which I find to be quite underrated. It seems to have a small cult following that consists only of my friends and myself, haha.

+1

islandclaws 05-08-08 07:44 PM

Tommy Boy. It was the pinnacle of his career outside of SNL. It's hilarious, and Spade is equally funny. I wish he was still around making movies.

Cardsfan111 05-08-08 10:15 PM

I voted Tommy Boy, but Farley will always be Matt Foley to me.