DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Please refrain from getting too mad. (AKA noms for MTV Movie Awards thread) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/530968-please-refrain-getting-too-mad-aka-noms-mtv-movie-awards-thread.html)

chris_sc77 05-06-08 11:49 AM

Please refrain from getting too mad. (AKA noms for MTV Movie Awards thread)

Im speechless as of now. I need some time to process this. Not that this award has any real value or merit or is expected to have any its just overall a summation of depressing congratulatory moments for underwhelming films...
Here we go:

BEST MOVIE
-- Juno (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
-- Transformers (DreamWorks SKG/Paramount Pictures)
-- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Walt Disney Pictures)
-- I Am Legend (Warner Bros. Pictures)
-- Superbad (Sony Pictures)
-- National Treasure: Book of Secrets (Walt Disney Pictures)

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
-- Will Smith -- I Am Legend (Warner Bros. Pictures)
-- Shia LaBeouf -- Transformers (DreamWorks SKG/Paramount Pictures)
-- Denzel Washington -- American Gangster (Universal Pictures)
-- Matt Damon -- The Bourne Ultimatum (Universal Pictures)
-- Michael Cera -- Juno (Fox Searchlight Pictures)

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
-- Ellen Page -- Juno (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
-- Keira Knightley -- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Walt Disney Pictures)
-- Katherine Heigl -- Knocked Up (Universal Pictures)
-- Amy Adams -- Enchanted (Walt Disney Pictures)
-- Jessica Biel -- I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (Universal Pictures)

BEST VILLAIN
-- Johnny Depp -- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (DreamWorks SKG/ Warner Bros. Pictures)
-- Denzel Washington -- American Gangster (Universal Pictures)
-- Angelina Jolie -- Beowulf (Warner Bros. Pictures/ Paramount Pictures)
-- Topher Grace -- Spider-Man 3 (Sony Pictures)
-- Javier Bardem -- No Country For Old Men (Paramount Vantage/ Miramax Films)

BEST COMEDIC PERFORMANCE
-- Johnny Depp -- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Walt Disney Pictures)
-- Adam Sandler -- I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (Universal Pictures)
-- Jonah Hill -- Superbad (Sony Pictures)
-- Seth Rogen -- Knocked Up (Universal Pictures)
-- Amy Adams -- Enchanted (Walt Disney Pictures)

BEST FIGHT
-- Matt Damon vs. Joey Ansah -- The Bourne Ultimatum (Universal Pictures)
-- Tobey Maguire vs. James Franco -- Spider-Man 3 (Sony Pictures)
-- Hayden Christensen vs. Jamie Bell -- Jumper (20th Century Fox)
-- Sean Faris vs. Cam Gigandet -- Never Back Down (Summit Entertainment, LLC)
-- Chris Tucker & Jackie Chan vs. Sun Ming Ming -- Rush Hour 3 (New Line Cinema)
-- Alien vs. Predator- Aliens vs. Predator -- Requiem (20th Century Fox)

BEST KISS
-- Shia LaBeouf and Sarah Roemer -- Disturbia (DreamWorks SKG)
-- Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey -- Enchanted (Walt Disney Pictures)
-- Daniel Radcliffe and Katie Leung -- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Warner Bros. Pictures)
-- Ellen Page and Michael Cera -- Juno (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
-- Briana Evigan and Robert Hoffman -- Step Up 2 The Streets (Touchstone Pictures)

BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE
-- Zac Efron -- Hairspray (New Line Cinema)
-- Seth Rogen -- Knocked Up (Universal Pictures)
-- Jonah Hill -- Superbad (Sony Pictures)
-- Michael Cera -- Superbad (Sony Pictures)
-- Chris Brown -- This Christmas (Screen Gems)
-- Nikki Blonsky -- Hairspray (New Line Cinema)
-- Megan Fox -- Transformers (DreamWorks SKG/Paramount Pictures)
-- Christopher Mintz-Plasse -- Superbad (Sony Pictures)

BEST SUMMER MOVIE SO FAR
-- Iron Man (Paramount Pictures/Marvel Entertainment)
-- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Paramount Pictures/Lucas Films)
-- Sex and the City: The Movie (New Line Cinema)
-- Speed Racer (Warner Bros. Pictures)
-- The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Walt Disney Pictures/Walden Media)

2008 MTV Movie Awards
Total Number of Combined Category Nominations

Superbad 5
Juno 4
Enchanted 3
Knocked Up 3
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 3
Transformers 3
American Gangster 2
Hairspray 2
I Am Legend 2
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry 2
Spider-Man 3 2
The Bourne Ultimatum 2
Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem 1
Beowulf 1
Disturbia 1
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 1
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 1
Iron Man 1
Jumper 1
National Treasure: Book of Secrets 1
Never Back Down 1
No Country for Old Men 1
Rush Hour 3 1
Sex And The City: The Movie 1
Speed Racer 1
Step Up 2: The Streets 1
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street 1
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 1
This Christmas 1

islandclaws 05-06-08 11:53 AM

Based on the vapid viewing audience and voters I'm sure Juno will win in all it's categories.

I never watch this shit anymore.

An4h0ny 05-06-08 11:54 AM

http://www.scripting.com/images/notAngry.jpg

Mondo Kane 05-06-08 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
BEST SUMMER MOVIE SO FAR

lol, the Paramount-must-win category is back!

I'm sure the Apatow stuff will do some sweeping that night.

Yakuza Bengoshi 05-06-08 12:11 PM

Of the 29 flicks receiving nominations, I've seen three so I'm in no way upset by this corporation's nominations. I'm just not their target audience.

Goat3001 05-06-08 12:15 PM

Considering that the MTV Movie Awards are meant to appeal to the "tween" audience, I think they suceeded in doing what they set out to do.

On the other hand its funny to see a movie award show where Never Back Down has more nominations than There Will Be Blood :lol:

raven56706 05-06-08 12:25 PM

Never back Down sucked b@lls

Johnny Zhivago 05-06-08 12:30 PM

:lol:

That was amusing...

RichC2 05-06-08 12:31 PM

Juno, Knocked Up and Superbad were good movies that were fairly popular and Transformers is seemingly well liked. No real surprise there.

Sure it isn't a total collection of great flicks, but it could have been worse, very easily. It's a show that awards popular movies, those movies were popular, go figure. It's the MTV Movie Awards, what'd you expect.

nateman 05-06-08 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Juno, Knocked Up and Superbad were good movies that were fairly popular and Transformers is seemingly well liked. No real surprise there.

Sure it isn't a total collection of great flicks, but it could have been worse, very easily. It's a show that awards popular movies, those movies were popular, go figure. It's the MTV Movie Awards, what'd you expect.

So how the hell did American Gangster get 2 nominations?! I really enjoyed the film, but I don't think it fits the MTV demographic.

RichC2 05-06-08 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by nateman
So how the hell did American Gangster get 2 nominations?! I really enjoyed the film, but I don't think it fits the MTV demographic.

It has a pretty broad appeal actually. It was a very generic gangster movie (and gangster themes are ones that get visited repeatidly in many videos on the network (you know, when they air from 3:00 am to 3:15 am, or at least were the last time I watched the channel)) featuring two hugely popular actors (Denzel and Crowe), and it grossed over $100m. As you may have noticed, all the best picture noms grossed well over $100m. (Versus the actual academy awards, where only Juno grossed over $100m)

The MTV Awards aren't meant to be taken seriously, they're there so their audience can see movie spoofs, have some live music, and see a few celebrities.

Brack 05-06-08 12:44 PM

To be perfectly honest, the MTV movie awards are a lot more fun than the other awards show. None of it is really taken too seriously, and that's a nice alternative.

sauce07 05-06-08 12:45 PM

You don't think a movie about a African American, drug dealing, murdering ganster is MTV's demographic?

raven56706 05-06-08 12:48 PM

-- Chris Brown -- This Christmas (Screen Gems)

rotfl rotfl rotfl

Goat3001 05-06-08 12:59 PM

I'm more confused about Javier Bardem's nod for No Country. Bardem is by no means a popular actor. He didn't gain popularity because he did not win the Oscar and No Country just seems like an odd choice for the MTV crowd.

majorjoe23 05-06-08 01:08 PM

Bardem did win the Oscar.

An4h0ny 05-06-08 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm more confused about Javier Bardem's nod for No Country. Bardem is by no means a popular actor. He didn't gain popularity because he did not win the Oscar and No Country just seems like an odd choice for the MTV crowd.

gotta be the hair

Brian Shannon 05-06-08 01:16 PM

What does Music Televison (that plays no music) have to do with Movies?

riotinmyskull 05-06-08 01:26 PM

whats sad is when i was younger (like 11 or 12)... i used to think the oscars were lame and mtv's movie awards were awesome. now it's pretty much the opposite. though i do have mtv to thank for introducing me to BOTTLE ROCKET.

Goat3001 05-06-08 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Bardem did win the Oscar.

Whoops. I was thinking this whole time that he was nominated for Best Actor and lost out to DDL. :)

DonnachaOne 05-06-08 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon

Actually, since they have musical acts perform during the show, it's more music than you'd have on there any other day.

MartinBlank 05-06-08 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
It has a pretty broad appeal actually. It was a very generic gangster movie (and gangster themes are ones that get visited repeatidly in many videos on the network (you know, when they air from 3:00 am to 3:15 am, or at least were the last time I watched the channel)) featuring two hugely popular actors (Denzel and Crowe), and it grossed over $100m.

I was suprised to see that on the 3-disc version of American Gangster all the extras from the bonus disc were a bunch of hip-hop crap. As if the films already been embraced by the "gangsta" culture the way they took to DePalma's Scarface.

xfilefanfreak 05-06-08 02:26 PM

OMG you are so right on the money. well im to old for mtv then! i liked it back in the day when they playd videos (motley crue,iron maiden,dio)now it just gives me the runs

Drexl 05-06-08 02:34 PM

They're funny as always, but at least Ellen Page will deserve to win this time.

Goat3001 05-06-08 02:41 PM

Wow... thank you so much for being the first person ever to raise this point... I don't think I've ever heard anyone say how MTV doesn't play music anymore!

;)