Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Please refrain from getting too mad. (AKA noms for MTV Movie Awards thread)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Please refrain from getting too mad. (AKA noms for MTV Movie Awards thread)

Old 05-06-08, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not angry. im depressed.
anyone have any suggestions for movies to watch during the mtv movie awards that won't make you lose faith in humanity?
Old 05-06-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm more confused about Javier Bardem's nod for No Country. Bardem is by no means a popular actor. He didn't gain popularity because he did not win the Oscar and No Country just seems like an odd choice for the MTV crowd.

It always seems like the MTV awards toss in a credible big name from a non-tweener movie just for the heck of it. Maybe it lends more credibility to the whole process (doubtful).
Old 05-06-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rehmus
im not angry. im depressed.
anyone have any suggestions for movies to watch during the mtv movie awards that won't make you lose faith in humanity?
"depressed"?..."losing faith in humanity?"... really? Because of the MTV Movie Awards?... really?

Old 05-06-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho
It always seems like the MTV awards toss in a credible big name from a non-tweener movie just for the heck of it. Maybe it lends more credibility to the whole process (doubtful).
Good point, but why not Daniel Day Lewis? Daniel Plainview could be considered a villian, depending on the way you look at it. Or George Clooney for best actor? MTV-ers love Clooney.
Old 05-06-08, 03:15 PM

"depressed"?..."losing faith in humanity?"... really? Because of the MTV Movie Awards?... really?

don't criticize. you'll be in the same shoes in about 3 weeks when you're 10 games back
Old 05-06-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
You know, I've watched MTV on and off since it debuted back in '81 up 'till about '99. And though I haven't watched it at all this decade, it was back in '99 when I thought the station couldn't possibly be dumbed down any further, but here we are...
Old 05-06-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts
Good point, but why not Daniel Day Lewis? Daniel Plainview could be considered a villian, depending on the way you look at it. Or George Clooney for best actor? MTV-ers love Clooney.
I think the nominations are given out on the basis of which actors are likely to actually SHOW UP at the awards show. No sense in nominating people who could give two shits about accepting an MTV Movie Award.
Old 05-06-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rehmus
don't criticize. you'll be in the same shoes in about 3 weeks when you're 10 games back
Now that would be something to be depressed about.
Old 05-06-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think the nominations are given out on the basis of which actors are likely to actually SHOW UP at the awards show. No sense in nominating people who could give two shits about accepting an MTV Movie Award.
I think Clooney is more likely to show up than Bardem. But its a moot point anyway...

How great would it be if Daniel Day Lewis (if he was nominated) showed up and lost to Topher Grace
Old 05-06-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swap Daniel Day-Lewis for Topher Grace in the villain chategory. There Will Be Blood has had a lot of crossover success with the "I drink your milkshake" gimmicks, and the character was light-years more evil than Venom will ever be.

I have a feeling Superbad will win Best Movie. Its success and hype has been universal and completely deserved, unlike the shit-hits-the-fan blowover of Wedding Crashers.
Old 05-06-08, 04:19 PM
Banned

^Not to get too off topic here but I really dont consider Danel Plainview a villain. I think it actually would be wrong to nominate Day-Lewis in that category. I find him a rather sympathetic character and consider him to triumph over the bigger evil at the end of TWBB.
Old 05-07-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris_sc77

BEST SUMMER MOVIE SO FAR
-- Iron Man (Paramount Pictures/Marvel Entertainment)
-- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Paramount Pictures/Lucas Films)
-- Sex and the City: The Movie (New Line Cinema)
-- Speed Racer (Warner Bros. Pictures)
-- The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Walt Disney Pictures/Walden Media)
SO FAR only one of these has been released
Old 05-07-08, 09:04 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
^^^ and Sex and the City doesn't even make the cut off point. Voting ends May 23rd according to the website, and the movie comes out on the 30th.

Last edited by Brack; 05-07-08 at 09:15 AM.