Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It doesn't hold up: Batman (1989)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It doesn't hold up: Batman (1989)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
Alfred: Let's not forget the repair of the Batmobile. It's not like we can take it to any old "Joe's bodyshop, " now is it, sir? There's certain security to consider.

Bruce Wayne: Security? Who let Vicki Vale into the Batcave? I'm sitting there working; I turn around, there she is. "Oh hi, Vick - come on in."

I'd forgotten. Still doesn't mean she didn't know.
I always believed - inaccurately, perhaps - that Alfred let Vicki in so that she could help Bruce deal with his psyche. Several scenes prior, Alfred goes on and on about how good she is for him.

I think that her reaction to Bruce being Batman takes place off-camera and before the confrontation. Alfred tells Vicki everything, shows her the Batcave (where she's already been) and then meets up with Wayne. I didn't think that moment was her first realization that Bruce was the Bat.

I also enjoyed BATMAN tremendously when it first came out. I thought RETURNS was, as other people point out, utterly ridiculous and boring. Of course, nothing could prepare me for the sheer wretchedness of FOREVER and ROBIN.
Old 05-05-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Son of Odin
For a superhero like Batman, it would be a neccessary need to know the character a little bit. I would love Frank Miller and zack snyder to do a Batman movie. Miller knows him best. .
I would love Miller direct the next sequel: "THE GODDAMN BATMAN RETURNS" !
Old 05-05-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
I can honestly say in all of my years as a Batman fan (the comics and character in general), looking back now I can't say I'd ever envision The Joker listening to Prince.
Well, according to several sources, Nicholson was a fan and wanted Prince's music ("1999" and "Baby I'm A Star") in those particular scenes.

Better that we get Prince's music in the movie than some pop star that has come and gone. (Remember M.C. Hammer's song in THE ADDAMS FAMILY, or Vanilla Ice doing TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES?) Back in 1989, we could have gotten acts like Tone Loc and Fine Young Cannibals or Rick Astley contributing to the soundtrack.
Old 05-06-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I enjoyed the movie the first time (mainly for Jack) but ever since then it has just gotten worse on each repeated viewing. The story is lame, the characters are terrible except the Joker. Wuhls character along with Basingers are just plain annoying. The special effects are pretty rubbish and it just looks very very dated. Batman Returns i think has held up better than the original. It felt more like a Tim Burton movie. The original Batman simply felt like an attempt at a studio big summer blockbuster.....without any real success. I think its a tad unfair to compare the new comic book movies with older ones like this, but i will say that i think that Christopher Nolan is without a doubt the best director to ever take on one of these movies. For me he has hit it out of the ball park with every movie and there are very few other directors whom i anticipate their movies as much. Bring on the Prisoner.
Old 05-06-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't see "Batman Begins" until it showed up on HBO and I really didn't have any expectations for the movie. When it was over I remember thinking "This is how Batman should be done".
Old 05-06-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
When it was over I remember thinking "This is how Batman should be done".
You'd want to see an origin over and over again?
Old 05-06-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
I would love Miller direct the next sequel: "THE GODDAMN BATMAN RETURNS" !

Originally Posted by ME
Read "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" or "All Star Batman and Robin" and then say that again with a straight face (after you've gotten the bleach out of your eyes, mind you).

Don't get me wrong, Miller reinvented Batman back in the 80s... but now he's kinda like your crazy uncle who still sees Charlie in every tree...

The man lost Batman's pulse twenty years ago.

That said, Batman is still fun, but it hasn't held up well, and I never thought it was fantastic to begin with.

Batman Returns would be a great movie if it had absolutely nothing to do with Batman. As it stands, it raped the charicterization of two iconic characters (Penguin and Catwoman) and made Batman a multi-murderer. Bonus points for Christopher Walken, though...

And as for the Elfman score at sporting events... Citizen's Bank Park plays the opening March whenever Pat "The Bat" Burrell steps to the plate in a clutch situation.

-Doc
Old 05-06-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing that I remember from the movie is the "scratching" of the CD in the "Batdiscman" at some point in the film. Looking back, that's absolutely ridiculous to think about, and I wonder why no one thought it was ridiculous then (BTW, sorry if this has already been mentioned...).
Old 05-06-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Well, according to several sources, Nicholson was a fan and wanted Prince's music ("1999" and "Baby I'm A Star") in those particular scenes.

Better that we get Prince's music in the movie than some pop star that has come and gone. (Remember M.C. Hammer's song in THE ADDAMS FAMILY, or Vanilla Ice doing TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES?) Back in 1989, we could have gotten acts like Tone Loc and Fine Young Cannibals or Rick Astley contributing to the soundtrack.

You mean we could all still be getting Rick Rolled by watching Batman 89?

Bring it on!!
Old 05-06-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm a fan of the 89 Batman/Returns and Begins but just in general, what is it about older films that don't hold up? I'm in my 20's, not having seen Superman when it was released in 78, but I say that considering the age, it's still a great movie even with the effects.

I watch older films knowing that they didn't have access to CG and appreciate the way they tried to make things as realistic as possible. And if a new re-boot isn't better than the original, than the person making it isn't worth crap... Bryan Singer...
Old 05-06-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, I watched Batman a few years back and it definitely wasn't as great as my 8 year old self thought it was.

Batman Returns is a movie that I really enjoyed though. Keaton and Pfeiffer had this undeniable chemistry that made for the best romantic subplot out of any movie based on a comic book. I loved the way they had them realize they were costumed enemies. The movie completely fails as a comic book adaptation. I think of it as a Tim Burton movie that just happens to have characters with the same names as those from a Batman comic.
Old 05-06-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by reubs82
One thing that I remember from the movie is the "scratching" of the CD in the "Batdiscman" at some point in the film. Looking back, that's absolutely ridiculous to think about, and I wonder why no one thought it was ridiculous then (BTW, sorry if this has already been mentioned...).
there are tons of CD players for "scratching" so the concept is not all that ridiculous, but the way it was portrayed in the movie was certainly a bit fantastical.
Old 05-06-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I would like one thing explained about the movie:

What the hell was the Joker's grand plan? It all seemed like a bunch of random unrelated stuff, so what the hell was he trying to do in the movie?
Old 05-06-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
I would like one thing explained about the movie:

What the hell was the Joker's grand plan? It all seemed like a bunch of random unrelated stuff, so what the hell was he trying to do in the movie?
I thought it was quite clear: he was fucking crazy and wanted to kill everyone.
Old 05-06-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
I rewatched Batman, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever over the past couple of nights.

Batman was never a perfect film (for many of the reasons already covered in this thread), but when I saw it first in '89 I felt the positives outweighed the negatives. After rewatching it, I still enjoyed it. So to me it holds up.

I didn't like Batman Returns much when I first saw it in '92, and I feel the same way now. I like the Batman scenes and the Catwoman scenes, but pretty much everything else is just not very entertaining. It didn't help that the Penguin running for Mayor subplot was lifted from the old TV show (and didn't even have a Paul Revere and the Raiders cameo).

Surprisingly, I think I enjoyed Batman Forever more this time than I did when I first saw it. But that's probably because whatever hatred I originally had for it has been transferred to Batman & Robin. It has it's moments, but I won't be rewatching it again any time soon.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to subject myself to Batman & Robin again.

Originally Posted by B5Erik
It's a good movie, but it isn't "Biggest hit of the year," good. It's weird - and I never could buy into this futuristic past setting. Some futuristic technology with old architecture and 1940's cars - WTF???
You may be thinking of the animated TV show. While the cast did wear forties style clothes in Batman, they used newer cars in the first two films, then used old cars in Batman Forever.
Originally Posted by reubs82
That was in Batman Returns. And people did think it was ridiculous in '92. We just didn't have the internet to tell lots of other people how we felt about every little detail in every movie we watched.
Originally Posted by Cartload
I think of it as a Tim Burton movie that just happens to have characters with the same names as those from a Batman comic.
This is the way I try to look at all comic book movies. Sort of "Elseworlds" or "What If?" stories. It makes it a lot easier to enjoy the films as films when they inevitably stray from the source material.
I always believed - inaccurately, perhaps - that Alfred let Vicki in so that she could help Bruce deal with his psyche. Several scenes prior, Alfred goes on and on about how good she is for him.

I think that her reaction to Bruce being Batman takes place off-camera and before the confrontation. Alfred tells Vicki everything, shows her the Batcave (where she's already been) and then meets up with Wayne. I didn't think that moment was her first realization that Bruce was the Bat.
This is the way I saw it too.