Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Superhero Movie Ever!
Superman: The Movie (1978)
22.61%
Superman II (1980)
3.02%
X-Men (2000)
0%
X2: X-Men United (2003)
6.53%
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
14.07%
The Incredibles (2004)
4.02%
Batman Begins (2005)
21.61%
Iron Man (2008)
10.55%
The Dark Knight (2008)
11.06%
Other (please specify)
6.53%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Best Superhero Movie Ever! (includes Summer '08)

Old 05-02-08, 01:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Best Superhero Movie Ever! (includes Summer '08)

Well, with the release of "Iron Man" and it being billed curently at RottenTomatoes as the best reviewed movie of 2008 and possibly best reviewed Superhero movie ever, I thought an update to the existing thread is in order.

There are 2 more coming out this summer with "The Dark Knight" and "The Incredible Hulk" so I will leave room for at least one of those choices.

I'll reserve judgment on IM until I see it hopefully this weekend, but "Superman: The Movie" will always hold a place up front in my heart. With the original "X-Men", "Spider-Man 2" a very close 4th and 3rd, and most recently nudging to Spot #2 "Batman Begins" on my list.

What do you think is the best Superhero movie so far? (with possible judgments being held till TDK and TIH later this summer)

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-02-08 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No superhero movie comes close to Spider-Man 2. Not even Iron Man.
Old 05-02-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right now I'm going with Batman Begins. Amazing reboot to that franchise, perfect casting across the board and grounded in reality. The ONLY thing I don't like: that microwave water thingy.
Old 05-02-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me it would probably be Batman Begins since that's the only superhero I like of the bunch, but I'll wait to vote until the end of the summer after I've seen all 3 (TDK, Hulk, IM).
Old 05-02-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is tough choice because you must understand each hero is different than the next so each film needs to be viewed based on that character.

My Marvel choices: X2, Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man are tied for top spot, with Spider-Man, X-Men, Blade, Blade II, & Daredevil as really good films, X3, SM3, Hulk, Fantastic Four 2 as average films (niether horrid or good), with Electra, Blade 3, Man-Thing, Capt America (90), Fantastic Four, Punisher (both) as bad superhero films. I expect TIH to be in the really good films-we'll see.

DC (non-Vertigo films): SuperMan (78), Batman Begins, and Batman (89) all tied for best superhero films, Batman Returns, Superman 2 (both versions), Superman Returns as really good films, Batman Forever as average film, Batman & Robin, Catwoman, Superman III, and Superman IV as all bad films. I expect TDK to be great if not perfect-we'll see and hopefully, Man of Steel will get made and be equally as good as TDK. IMO, DC needs to get more characters out. I mean Green Latern, Flash, WW, are solid characters. I love Bats and Supers is cool, but outside of DC's Vertigo line it's all they have.

Marvel wins.

Best Overall films?: Batman Begins, Superman, X2, Iron Man, and Spiderman 2...as of now.
Old 05-02-08, 02:41 PM

I think it's a toss up between Tim Burton's "Batman" and Chris Nolan's "Batman Begins." Of course, that all could change once TDK is released.
Old 05-02-08, 02:41 PM

It pretty much comes down to Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2. Followed by X2 and Superman. My question is this. Even if it isn't based on a comic book, but does deal with the super-hero myth, I'd list Unbreakable in the top 5.
Old 05-02-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Batman Begins because I like the grounded in reality and darkness of the film. Not to mention the superb job by the cast and crew involved.

X-Men 2 would be 2nd. Phenemonal film and some amazing setpieces like the opening scene in the whitehouse and the scene where the mercenaries invade the mansion. Two of the best scenes in a superhero film, imo

And i guess I'm the only one that prefers the original Spider-Man (which isn't even in the poll for some reason) to the sequel.

Last edited by Matthew Ackerly; 05-02-08 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
It pretty much comes down to Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2. Followed by X2 and Superman. My question is this. Even if it isn't based on a comic book, but does deal with the super-hero myth, I'd list Unbreakable in the top 5.
Good point. If we're not talking strictly comic book based material, "The Incredibles" would definitely be part of the discussion. Not as the best - but def Top 5.
Old 05-02-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For me at this stage in the game i have to give it to Batman Begins. Great director, great casting and a solid script made it incredibly successful. Taking the characters seriously also helped a lot. The only movie that comes close to Batman Begins is the original Superman movie IMO. It mamaged to capture the essence of the Superman character perfectly and Chris Reeves managed to make both his character along with Clarke Kent interesting and enjoyable to watch. I think there are a lot of very good superhero movies out there (Spiderman 1/2, Blade, X-men 1/2, Batman Returns, Daredevil DC) and a lot of good but not great Superhero movies ( Fantastic Four 1/2, Blade 2, Superman Returns, The Hulk, Batman, Batman Forever, Spiderman 3), and then there are those that i would classify as badly missed opportunities (Elektra, The Punisher, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). Its funny how everyone seems to think that Spiderman 2 was possibly the best superhero movie to date. I really liked the movie a lot, but i think that both BB and Superman were much better movies. I get the feeling that Iron Man will be a truly great movie and that the Incredible Hulk will be good to very good. The Dark Knight i am sure will be as good if not better than the Batman Begins and it is my most anticipated movie of the year. It will be interesting to see how Wolverine turns out and i my must see movei for 2009 (along with Avatar) has got to be Watchmen. So for me i still look forward to new superhero movies and hope that Marvel keeps securing its properties and trying to create the best possible movies they can now they are retaining their characters. Bring on Thor, Captain America and the Avengers movies.
Old 05-02-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. Batman Begins
2. X-Men
3. Spiderman 2

I am Superman fan, but I didn't think any of the movies have done justice to the franchise.

Tim Burton's Batman while unique and wonderful to look at, was more of a Burton movie than a Batman movie.

Ironman looks amazing. Downey is amazing. I think its a "can't miss" vehicle.
Old 05-02-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1) Superman: The Movie
2) Superman II(Theatrical Cut)
3) Batman Begins
4) Unbreakable
5) Spider-Man 2

Honorable Mention: X2, Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man

I wouldn't be surprised if The Dark Knight ends up #3 on my list in a few months.
Old 05-02-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of recent ones, probably between Batman Begins and Spidey 2. I don't really care for the Spider-man movies, so obviously my choice is Batman... though I realize it doesn't really have that classic feel... it moved at such a fast pace, that an extra 10 minutes of breathing room would've probably helped.

I'm sure TDK will be awesome, but being a middle chapter, it won't really have that Act 1, Act 2, Act 3 structure that origin stories have the benefit of. So on it's own I don't see it being as strong.
Old 05-02-08, 03:09 PM

1. Superman the movie
2. Batman Begins
3. X2
4. Spiderman 2
5. The Incredibles

The opening credits for Superman still give me goose bumps to this day. I lump both versions of Superman II together, so they would probably make number 6 on my list.
Old 05-02-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll probably get hate for this, but... I can watch this over and over and still get an emotional impact. Not only due to the subject matter, but because of the star of the film.

Old 05-02-08, 03:27 PM

No question for me it has to be Spiderman 2. It's epic, perfect in spirit and tone, well made, entertaining... I could go on. Though, I guess the fact that I love Rami and Spiderman makes me somewhat bias.

...FWIW, Doc Ock is easily one of the best on screen super villains... if not maybe the best.

A close second would be the Burton Batman movies. The first one especially... though some parts have not aged well. I always wondered about the art museum scene ... looks like it belongs in a completely different film... not only in tone, but in film quality. I wonder if Burton wasn't so hip on the Prince soundtrack tie in? Maybe he didn't really work on that scene. It's obvious that they let Burton have his way with the second (much darker and more Burtonesque).

Though it's nowhere near the best ever... but I really dug Hellboy and can't wait for part 2 this summer)
Old 05-02-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Blade
Old 05-02-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This one's tough - The original Superman/Superman II were great. In a way, I give them extra credit for standing the test of time. Hard to believe the original is 30 years old.

I'd vote for Batman Begins from the more current run of Superhero films.
Old 05-02-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spider-man 2 is the best.

Batman Begins is a very good movie, but I still think it starts off a little slow. Ra's al Ghul was really a boring villain and I can't get past the fact that when Bale is Batman, his voice sounds like he's pinching his nose. I think The Dark Knight will turn out to be the better film of that franchise.

X-men 2, Superman, and Iron Man are all high on the list.
Old 05-02-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why include The Dark Knight? If no one has seen it yet (since it doesn't come out for another 2 months), why would they vote for it?
I voted other, either The Crow or Batman Returns.
Old 05-02-08, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
1. Superman the movie
2. Batman Begins
3. X2
4. Spiderman 2
5. The Incredibles

The opening credits for Superman still give me goose bumps to this day. I lump both versions of Superman II together, so they would probably make number 6 on my list.

That's pretty much my ranking, although I have a very hard time deciding between BB and Superman for the top spot.
Old 05-02-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Batman Begins for me.

Batman and Batman Returns are still mildly entertaining, but the original isn't as good as I remembered and Batman Returns gets on my nerves anymore.

Superman: The Movie hasn't aged well at all, and the sequel, while better, still isn't in my upper echelon.

Spider-man 2 would be my runner up at this time. Followed closely by X2 and The Incredibles.
Old 05-02-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know the Crow is really a good movie, probably better than most mid-level Marvel films.
Old 05-02-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spider-man 2 with Batman Begins just coming behind it...and I know I'm in a minority but Blade II would be just behind those.
Old 05-02-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, the two people who voted for Dark Knight, can I have your time machine?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.