DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Quarantine (J.E. Dowdle, 2008) — Remake of [●REC] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/530606-quarantine-j-e-dowdle-2008-%97-remake-%5Brec%5D.html)

alfonsosoriano 10-11-08 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by xage (Post 8997605)
Those who saw REC may not be impressed seeing Quarantine. But for those seeing Quarantie and not REC, they will like the tone of the Movie.

I am pretty much in agreement with this statement. I enjoyed Quarantine even though I've seen REC three times already. REC is still the far superior film. Anyone who hasn't seen REC will mostly find Quarantine scary though, as it pulls many scenes straight from REC and adds new ones of its own.

Quarantine seemed to have too many (and fairly poor) characters for such a claustrophobic film. Was it just me or did they add more characters than just having "counterpart" characters of the ones in REC? I was trying to figure this out while watching the film.

Jennifer Carpenter singlehandedly tried to kill all the films suspense with her terrible acting and laughable overreacting. I get it, she's supposed to be freaked out, but god damn Manuela Velasco did it so much better. Overall REC just felt more realistic.

redskull 10-11-08 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 8997719)
I might check this out this week, but can someone tell me what the difference in the ending is? The makers said that the final shot that was used in the trailer isn't the final shot of the film. Can someone tell me how the two differ?

Spoiler:
They don't. Other than the fact that Quarantine adds a few extra scenes to pad out the running time ([rec] was only about an hour long) the 2 films are almost completely identical, including the final shot.

Giles 10-11-08 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by redskull (Post 8998521)
Spoiler:
They don't. Other than the fact that Quarantine adds a few extra scenes to pad out the running time ([rec] was only about an hour long) the 2 films are almost completely identical, including the final shot.

well...

for starters Quarantine is 78 minutes.

the reveal of [REC] is also nowhere as obvious as Quarantine suggest early on, in fact the whole premise is:

Spoiler:
attributed to every one being infected not with rabies but with demonic possession (ala Lamberto's Bava 'Demons') that's what all the news clipping state as well as the tape recorder which unlike Quarantine actually works and delves further into the supernatural, with the girl being relocated to the apartment to be experimented and relieved of her possesion by scientifc procedures, she had to be hidden from the Vatican where she would have been ritualistically slaughtered and not possibly saved, unfortunately as what the horror genre and this film hints to is that meddling with problems like these only spurns the situation out of control

also in the American remake, the finale is expanded, in REC its fast, confusing, chaotic and furious, after Pablo's death and an unseen tustle with the creature, Manuella drops to the ground, pauses and then is quickly pulled backward into the darkness

Giles 10-11-08 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano (Post 8997772)
I am pretty much in agreement with this statement. I enjoyed Quarantine even though I've seen REC three times already. REC is still the far superior film. Anyone who hasn't seen REC will mostly find Quarantine scary though, as it pulls many scenes straight from REC and adds new ones of its own.

Quarantine seemed to have too many (and fairly poor) characters for such a claustrophobic film. Was it just me or did they add more characters than just having "counterpart" characters of the ones in REC? I was trying to figure this out while watching the film.

Jennifer Carpenter singlehandedly tried to kill all the films suspense with her terrible acting and laughable overreacting. I get it, she's supposed to be freaked out, but god damn Manuela Velasco did it so much better. Overall REC just felt more realistic.

I gathered they added characters for the American version just to have more death scenes - dog mauling, bashed in head, etc. etc. etc. American's like their gore.

yes, Manuella was better than Jennifer, Jennifer at times seemed too ditzy in the very beginning of the film and I swear the scene where she is just absolutely freaking out, Scott seriousily needed to bitch slap her - HARD.

harosa 10-12-08 12:35 PM

Impossible to seperate the two for some...

I seem to see a trend in some reviewers that have seen REC, its like they have to bash the remake as a given and cant seem to recommend it on its own merits. A friend of mine also saw REC and wanted to see Quarantine out of curiosity but i told him while it was ok they didnt do anything new in my opinion that warrants seeing it other than for curiosities' sake for 2 different kills. From some of the tv trailers showing the military finding the camera, I was actually hoping they'd take the story a little further so it wouldnt be in essence the same movie. Which doesnt make it a bad movie but it is hard to separate the 2 since they do such similar jobs but i can see myself recommending Quarantine to those unable to see REC. Its a nice gimmicky twist on a genre.

jessecrx 10-12-08 12:49 PM

Never seen rec

I saw this last night with my wife and lucky us we had a good quiet crowd. It was either the movie or go to a haunted house and I can gladly say that the movie had more scares than any haunted house I have been to.

Check your brain at the door and ignore the first 20 mins of filling at the start of the movie. It was good fun.

Once the movie was over everyone in the theater looked at one another and laughed because they knew just about everyone nearly jumped out their seats at least once.

mdc3000 10-12-08 05:34 PM

I haven't seen [REC] and thought this was decent... not great but decent. Basically Blair Witch/Cloverfield meets 28 Days Later. I liked Jennifer Carpenter (go Deb!) but agree she started to get pretty shrill towards the end... I thought it had good atmosphere and tone but found the explanation to be fairly lightweight and wished we got more of that... I'm all for ambiguity if it works, but the last 5 minutes are a big WTF? and not in a good way IMO. Also, whoever did the marketing materials needs to be kicked in the balls - using the final shot in every TV spot and trailer = BAD FUCKING IDEA, really took a lot of the suspense out of it because I kept waiting for the night vision and that shot to come up...

dsa_shea 10-12-08 09:00 PM

Yeah, thanks for showing me the ending in the previews. Assholes!

mytzplyx 10-13-08 05:08 AM

I guess I can't watch this...or if I do, maybe i'll need to take some ginger pills beforehand...

devilshalo 10-14-08 02:19 AM

Well, I can say that I'm done with first person camera films. I'm now a little scared how they will approach Cloverfield 2.

Seantn 10-14-08 02:59 AM

[REC 2] is on the way as well, so maybe Quarantine 2 will be made as well. Who knows.

dsa_shea 10-14-08 08:56 PM

In my opinion Quarantine was far worse than Cloverfield of making someone dizzy. There were few moments where my wife and I had to look away and regroup to fight of that urge of throwing up. I never did that with Cloverfield.

devilshalo 10-15-08 03:07 AM

Spoiler:
It's never really clear how much they lead the public to believe and how far the cdc perimeter around the building was. Instead of trying to escape, at which point it became futile, I would have made the situation more intense by dropping one (or more) of the infected out of that window to the street below. Forcing their containment field to open up to a degree that they had to treat or isolate the uninfected in a different way.

I also want one of those cameras. Long lasting battery charge and able to withstand a brutal amount of punishment.

chris_sc77 10-15-08 09:54 AM

This was a very nice surprise. One of the best horror films Ive seen in theaters in years. The end scared me and I never get scared during movies.
Cloverfield was a piece of shit and the camerawork was FAR WORSE in that "film" than in this one.
Cant wait to see (REC) now,

BravesMG 10-15-08 10:48 AM

I thought this was ok at best, but I absolutely could not stand Jennifer Carpenter. Since she's in almost every shot of the film, it's a hard obstacle to overcome. All I could wish for was a 'surprise death' for her, but since the thread already knows the last shot of the film, I knew I wasn't going to get my wish.

I'm a huge fan of the 'shaky cam' genre and even I thought a lot of this was wayyy too conveniently filmed. Where the camera dropped, how long the battery lasted and the damage it took... all of it was far more recognizable to me than other films. It's a shame because there's obviously a top flight movie to be made here, but I don't think there is anyway I could fully enjoy watching (rec) now having seen this.

CaptainMarvel 10-16-08 03:48 PM

I tried to see this today. Shaky cam has never bothered me before; I had no problems with Blair Witch or Cloverfield, but this one made me want to hurl. I had to end up leaving. The manager of the theater said I wasn't the first one, and he gave me a pass for a different movie. An hour later, I still feel a little queasy.

If anybody would be so kind, I would love a recap of what happened after I left, as I was enjoying the movie (aside from the nausea). I left

Spoiler:
shortly after the police officer and firefighter announced that the CDC would be coming in to do blood work, and that veterinarian said that didn't make any sense. I think the other fire fighter had started to get up and walk around on his mangled leg at that point.

Giles 10-16-08 03:55 PM

I actually watched Ils (Them) last night and I thought that that camera work made me nausious, and the camera work wasn't as crazy as Quarantines

greg9x 10-17-08 09:31 AM

I sometimes have issues with motion sickness but didn't have a problem during this movie...
My girl wanted to see this and went with some friends, we all enjoyed it... bit of the gore could have been done without and a few 'stupid character' moments that are needed in horror films to drive the plot, but overall it was a suspenseful creepy movie.

Agree the ending lost it's effect since knew it was coming from the trailer.

blueberrytree 10-17-08 09:52 AM

REC was so much better. Plus it tried to include an ending. Qarantine couldn't be bothered.

Giles 10-17-08 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by blueberrytree (Post 9010735)
REC was so much better. Plus it tried to include an ending. Qarantine couldn't be bothered.

I agree, once it was established what was infecting everyone, the story or ending for that matter went kaput.

devilshalo 10-17-08 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9011324)
I agree, once it was established what was infecting everyone, the story or ending for that matter went kaput.

All they needed to do was at least tack on something to the effect of how often cases like this appear. As it is, it's very confusing as to how they discovered the video, also.

filmerp 10-20-08 02:22 AM

Never saw the original, and while there were definitely a few affective jumps in this, I was slapping my head many times at how stupid many characters were. Also, I wanted to tell that reporter to get out of the damn way of the camera! No cameraman can possibly cut together a story when the reporter's blocking every shot!

nodeerforamonth 02-17-09 11:32 PM

Re: Quarantine (J.E. Dowdle, 2008) — Remake of [●REC]

For those of you who have seen [REC] and Quarantine, are you the same people who actually think Ringu was better than the Ring?

I don't want to get fooled into watching [REC] and finding out it was a total piece of crap like Ringu was. I'm still pissed off about that... I mean come on! Ringu had a HORRIBLE way of telling a story:
Spoiler:
one of the characters randomly says at the end of the movie "Oh, I'm psychic! And this is what is happening!"
, while The Ring told the story as more of a detective film.

Are the differences between [REC] and Quarantine just as glaring?

RichC2 02-18-09 12:11 AM

I prefer The Ring to Ringu for numerous reasons and that is one of them (though "Hey, I'm touching you, you can see what I saw now!" isn't much better). That said, [REC] is, imo, much better than Quarantine. It just feels more authentic.

nodeerforamonth 02-18-09 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9273705)
I prefer The Ring to Ringu for numerous reasons and that is one of them (though "Hey, I'm touching you, you can see what I saw now!" isn't much better). That said, [REC] is, imo, much better than Quarantine. It just feels more authentic.

Ok. I'll check it out then. Thanks.