Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Quarantine (J.E. Dowdle, 2008) — Remake of [●REC]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quarantine | Trailers | IMDB | October 17, 2008

Alright, [●REC] has been discussed but I wanted to make this thread about the remake.

I haven't seen the original (yet) but I like the fact that Rade Serbedzija is involved. Hopefully his role isn't minor. Also, the director previously did The Poughkeepsie Tapes.
Old 04-30-08, 08:39 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
[REC] was freaking awesome. Even though it's been said it'll be a shot by shot remake, I'm worried they'll mess it up. As for the remake's trailer (spoiler about the end of the movie):

Spoiler:
I don't like that they basically use the last shot in the movie.
Old 10-10-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it's not being screened for critics... That says a lot because [REC] was so good that they'd definitely have screened it for critics if they had just released that instead.
Old 10-10-08, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Howiefan
I'm worried they'll mess it up.
They did.
Old 10-10-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I just caught a screening of this last night. I never caught Rec unfortunately, so I have no way to compare the two. I enjoyed the film all around (minus the awful audience) personally, and left pleased. I read the DVDTalk review and agree with nearly all points. At least the film wasn't too long and the acting wasn't terrible. Tell you what though
Spoiler:
I don't want to EVER get rabies
Old 10-10-08, 08:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread regarding [REC} but it's best if no one read's the latest issue of Fangoria before seeing 'Quarantine', they give something away,
Old 10-10-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by The O

I just caught the original for the first time last week, and it was one of the tightest, scariest films I've seen. Just perfect in every way. I'm assuming the American version copies it scene for scene. I've seen the commercials and it looks that way.
Old 10-10-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'll probably never see this...[REC] was just too good for me to see a watered down americanized version.
Old 10-10-08, 02:47 PM

for what it is, the American version has a higher body count and the gore is amped, it's actually pretty good. but...

Spoiler:
I had immediate problems with the cameraman Scott being a seen character whereas in REC he's omnipresent - you never see him at all, secondly taking away the supernatural aspect, seems like an attempt to capitalize on '28 Days Later' , once it's been established it's rabies, the ending seems less powerful as the original which kind of came out of left field, was effectively creepy.
Old 10-10-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Never heard of REC but from what I've been reading I guess I'll just skip this and rent REC instead.
Old 10-10-08, 04:47 PM

actually some horror films work best if experienced with a whole bunch of people, one scene in particular had the few in attendance at the morning screening at Tysons just howling with glee and disgust

Spoiler:
when Scott the cameraman uses the camera to pulverize one of the infected's face

the other scene where the fireman is walking on his cracked exposed bone leg, was appropriately disgusting and made everyone exclaim 'argh' (that's just nasty)
Old 10-10-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a movie like this, 70% on RT is pretty damn good, so I want to go watch it, buuuuuut, it looks like the type of movie that would give me motion sickness. I got sick during Blaire Witch and had to run to sit against the back wall of the theater to finish the movie (after taking a 10 min "time out" outside).

Do you think this movie will have the same effect on me?
Old 10-10-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mytzplyx
For a movie like this, 70% on RT is pretty damn good, so I want to go watch it, buuuuuut, it looks like the type of movie that would give me motion sickness. I got sick during Blaire Witch and had to run to sit against the back wall of the theater to finish the movie (after taking a 10 min "time out" outside).

Do you think this movie will have the same effect on me?
Ask Giles. But [.REC] definitely had the same effect as "Blair Witch". I got dizzy a few times watching it. I can only assume the remake is the same given it's about a reporter and camera man capturing this during a news story/documentary they are filming about firemen.
Old 10-10-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I've read, Quarantine has a lot more "close up" shots on people than [REC], which can have a big difference when you're also doing shaky cam.
Old 10-10-08, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Ask Giles. But [.REC] definitely had the same effect as "Blair Witch". I got dizzy a few times watching it. I can only assume the remake is the same given it's about a reporter and camera man capturing this during a news story/documentary they are filming about firemen.
me and my sister had a real hard time watching Blair Witch in the theater, we really both felt like we needed to heave after seeing it, [REC] or even Quarantine though wasn't as nauseating.
Old 10-10-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like Jennifer Carpenter on Dexter, but I think the horror genre has been murderously bad this year and I don't have high hopes for this.
Old 10-10-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really, really wanted to see [REC] before seeing Quaranteen. Since (as far as I know) it's not available on DVD yet, how are people seeing it? Are you getting another region?
Old 10-10-08, 10:24 PM

I have the UK Special Edition DVD, you can buy it over at Diabolik DVD
Old 10-10-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
You know, I had never even heard of [REC] until a few weeks ago. Robin Quivers on Howard Stern said Richard Christie gave her a copy, and she said it was the scariest movie she had ever seen. So I just had to get my hands on a copy. And it was indeed very very scary.
Old 10-10-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
Unfortunately I'm not region free. I thought for sure there would have been a realese to coincide with the remake.
Old 10-10-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Just came back from seeing it. Aside of the horrible crowd (I should have known better, horror movie on opening night = lots of kids who don't know how to shut the fuck up), I really enjoyed it. While I didn't get scared, my girl sitting next to me was squeezing my hand through most of it, and the crowd had some huge reactions. Overall I was very impressed.

I'm hoping [rec] will be released around the time this movie get's put out on DVD.

BTW, to those who are planning on checking this out, try to avoid the trailer. It gives away a huge spoiler.

Last edited by DeanoBKN; 10-10-08 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-11-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
[REC] is a lot better than Quarantine. That being said, Quarantine isn't terrible. It's just a pale imitation of a really great film.

In Quarantine...
- I felt the characters were a lot less believable
- The shaky cam was WAY overdone. Yes, it was shaky in [REC], but not THIS much. Even in regular scenes when they're interviewing people, the cameraman is all over the place. He would have been fired long ago because they wouldn't ever have been able to get anything usable in the form of an interview.
- Jennifer Carpenter REALLY turned into a helpless, blubbering chick, kind of like Barbara in the original Night of the Living Dead. The character of Angela in [REC] was a better character. Still fragile and stuff, just not as much as in this version.
- The pacing felt off. The original had the perfect pace. Once it got going it really didn't stop. This one got going...then slowed...then got goi-- unnecessary new stuff with dog maulings and stupid fighting...GOING...GOING...THE END.
- Also, I didn't like the scene (which is not in [REC]) of the girl being beaten to death with the front of the camera AND THE CAMERA DOESN'T BREAK. Must be a really damn strong camera to be able to beat someone to death with the front of the camera, getting blood all over the lens, but not cracking it.

Finally, what I found to be annoying right from the get-go was how Angela in this version was so obviously not a reporter. She's way too "gee-golly guys!" about everything and she's laughing at everything. In [REC] she was actually at least semi-passable as a reporter. In this one she's not really even trying to film the story she's there to get!
Well to be fair, it seems her show is nothing more then a piece of fluff seen on late night television. But I didn't have a problem with how she reacted, giving the turn of events. I mean if she started getting tough and fighting them off I wouldn't have believed it.
Old 10-11-08, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^where the fuck are the spoiler tags?
Old 10-11-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those who saw REC may not be impressed seeing Quarantine. But for those seeing Quarantie and not REC, they will like the tone of the Movie.
Old 10-11-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I might check this out this week, but can someone tell me what the difference in the ending is? The makers said that the final shot that was used in the trailer isn't the final shot of the film. Can someone tell me how the two differ?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.