Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Forbidden Movie Arguments

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Forbidden Movie Arguments

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to go see it. Again, it's easy to see both sides of this argument -- yeah, the choices out there for families aren't always spectacular, but there have to be alternatives. And I'd wager that most of the time there are at least two family movies at the theater and it's still not the better one that makes more money.
But again, what kids like and what adults like is 2 different things... Im sure most kids who went and watched Alvin and the Chipmunks liked it. I would never see it, but I dont have kids. But if my 5 year old niece was in town, who loved the movie, wanted to see a movie, Im sure that is what she would want to see.
Old 04-30-08, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"This movie is GREAT."

"No it's not."

"Really, why's that?"

"Well, why do you think it's great?"

"Never mind that, the burden of proof is on you, sir!"

See the "There Will Be Blood" thread for vast illustrations of this.
Old 04-30-08, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
But again, what kids like and what adults like is 2 different things... Im sure most kids who went and watched Alvin and the Chipmunks liked it. I would never see it, but I dont have kids. But if my 5 year old niece was in town, who loved the movie, wanted to see a movie, Im sure that is what she would want to see.
my five year old nephew would like to eat ice cream for every single meal...

just sayin...
Old 04-30-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
Or the opposite on this board (as apposed to the general public) sometimes. Just because it's old and in B/W doesn't mean its good.

And yes, surprisingly enough, they do still make good movies.

Thank you!
Old 04-30-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
?

I don't really remember any underwater scenes in LOTR that were CGI.
Well, maybe it was more greenscreen than CG, but the shot of Sam going into the river near the end of FotR, and Smeagols brother gettign pulled in by a fish in RotK, both looked pretty bad to me.

Plus bad CGI can really take you out of the movie experience. For me anyways it's not that I'm looking for it, its just jarring.

Boy that scorpion king looks awful, or peter parker just doesn't look right jumping across the buildings.

That's why I think the best CGI is the one you don't notice.

Agreed. I guess my point is that some peoples standards for what constitutes 'bad CG' boggles my mind somewhat. To me at least, I can probably count number of badly done renderigs I've seen on one finger. So most of the time when I see this comment I just sor tof stare at the computer screen scratching my head.
Old 04-30-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any argument that uses "l337"-speak or otherwise appears to have been written by someone who flunked English in kindergarten. If I get a headache trying to translate your blatherings into adult English, then I'm going to assume that as little thought went into forming your opinion as went into putting it into words.

Last edited by aintnosin; 04-30-08 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 02:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NIMH Rat
"This movie is GREAT."

"No it's not."

"Really, why's that?"

"Well, why do you think it's great?"

"Never mind that, the burden of proof is on you, sir!"

See the "There Will Be Blood" thread for vast illustrations of this.
or my film of reference 'No Country for Old Men'

~

I fell asleep on it or I walked out of the film

- If you saw so little of the film, why should I listen or consider your opinion of the film valid - you didn't see all of it...

Last edited by Giles; 04-30-08 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
"Foreign films are better than the crap Hollywood makes."

In certain cases this may be true. But there's certainly a lot of crap boring shit coming out of foreign studios. But snobs often give shit foreign flicks a free pass just because it's from overseas.
Originally Posted by troystiffler
Yup. As a compliment, same goes for indie films. They serve their purpose as alternate entertainment. They ocassionaly serve their purpose as 'getting your name out there' for talented individuals who can't scrounge up the money. And there's some really amazing ones (this year, The Diver and the Butterfly, for instance). But I give up on the art fucks who think lousy movies are worthwhile just because they were independently financed.
Elements of posts that occasionally tend to make me discount the judgment of the poster:

1. Misspellings
2. Lack of subject-verb agreement

Elements of posts that frequently cause me to discount the judgment of the poster:

1. Profanity
2. Use of the term boring

An element of posts that always makes me discount the judgment of the poster:

1. Use of the terms snob or art fucks as derogatory labels

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 04-30-08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Any argument that uses "l337"-speak or otherwise appears to have been written by someone who flunked English in kindergarten. If I get a headache trying to translate your blatherings into adult English, then I'm going to assume that as little thought went into forming your opinion as went into putting it into words.
blatherings isn't a word
Old 04-30-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Elements of posts that occasionally tend to make me discount the judgment of the poster:

1. Misspellings

Elements of posts that frequently cause me to discount the judgment of the poster:

1. Profanity

Then my fucken work am dun. Now go watch your crap snobbbbyyyy indie 4-renn flicks and leave me alone.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-30-08 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by An4h0ny
my five year old nephew would like to eat ice cream for every single meal...

just sayin...
This comment takes me back to my previous point. For most people movies are just a form of entertainment. I do not have kids, I have a cousin that is 6 years old. When she is in town and wants me to take her to a movie to have fun I take her to the one that she wants to see. Regardless of how stupid the movie may be and regardless of the fact that there are better children movies playing (to me). It is what she wants to see. Afterwards, I buy her ice cream. It was a fun evening for her.

When she isn't supposed to have fun, her parents make her do her homework and eat her spinach.

My point is that movies and ice cream are meant to be fun. I do not find the need to drag my cousin to see a movie that she doesn't want to see just because it may be "better" (to me). Vegetables and homework are when she needs to learn to eat right and be smart.
Old 04-30-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree (generally) with the list except for point #1.

Sometimes a film doesn't initially resonate with you. That doesn't mean that you should waste time watching movies you already saw and dismissed but when someone else really thinks the film has merit makes that comment such as, 'perhaps give it another try at some point' ... it is extremely valid.

An example for me was the film, The Shining. I was disappointed that it didn't really do justice to the book. Then I watched it again years later and didn't care so much about the book but now found things in the film itself that resonated with me.

And I re-watched it because someone I respected had a differing opinion of the film and suggested I re-watch it.
Old 04-30-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
blatherings isn't a word
If leverage can be a verb, blathering can be a noun.
Old 04-30-08, 08:16 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Then my fucken work am dun. Now go watch your crap snobbbbyyyy indie 4-renn flicks and leave me alone.
winner.

his reply to you was pretty snobbish too, lol.
Old 04-30-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't agree with any of the rules in the OP or others following it. Seeing a film more than once is almost necessary to truly appreciate its merits (good or bad). Commentaries, interviews and other analysis can also help appreciate the film again good or bad.

Always remember your reaction to a film says more about you than the actual film.
Old 04-30-08, 10:05 PM

"your reaction to a film says more about you than the actual film."

god, I hate that one.
Old 05-01-08, 09:11 AM

1. Misspellings

1. Profanity

Although it seems no one else is doing so, I would like to formally agree with this.
Old 05-01-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inri222
Yeah but the special effects were amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but special effects are very low on my priority list of what I like in a movie.
Understandable, but people praise movies for their technical achievements (cinematography, etc.) while downplaying their faults all the time.

Last edited by orangecrush; 05-01-08 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-01-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

How should we use the word snob?
Old 05-01-08, 11:01 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

1. Misspellings

1. Profanity

I really wish I'd written that.
Old 05-01-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Misspellings

1. Profanity

I agree with the spirit of this post. But boring is a valid, if too common, assessment of a reaction. However, when I'm in a discussion about a movie, if someone uses 'boring' I try to get him or her to elaborate on what he or she found boring.

Essentially, if I'm discussing a film, single word generalizations don't fly, whether it be commercial or art-house.
Old 05-01-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rehmus
i dont think #1 and #2 hold up quite like the other ones because rewatching a movie actually can help (for instance, i hated pulp fiction the first time through), and sometimes people actually do not understand things going on in some movies.

I agree, especially with #1, I am sure people have re-watched movies more than once, and in that 2nd or 3rd viewing, they see something that they did not see the first time around.
Old 05-01-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
How should we use the word snob?
I think what you're really ask me is why did I write "Use of the terms snob or art fucks as derogatory labels" rather than just "Use of the terms snob or art fucks." The answer is that I myself used the term in my response, thus to pardon my own use of the term, I specified that I was referring only to its use as a derogatory term, but I think you already knew that. Oh, and if you want to use the word to refer to a shoe cobbler, I'm okay with that too.

Originally Posted by sundog
I agree with the spirit of this post. But boring is a valid, if too common, assessment of a reaction. However, when I'm in a discussion about a movie, if someone uses 'boring' I try to get him or her to elaborate on what he or she found boring.

Essentially, if I'm discussing a film, single word generalizations don't fly, whether it be commercial or art-house.
I think we're in agreement. Note, I put boring into the "frequently" instead of "always" category. I'm so tired of people telling me, for example, that Tarkovsky's films are boring that I tune those people out. On the other hand, if somebody told me that Steven Spielberg's films were boring, that would interest me, and I'd be eager to hear them out, assuming a justification for that position was forthcoming.
Old 05-01-08, 01:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goat3001
My point is that movies and ice cream are meant to be fun. I do not find the need to drag my cousin to see a movie that she doesn't want to see just because it may be "better" (to me). Vegetables and homework are when she needs to learn to eat right and be smart.
i can agree with that

*eats ice cream while watching Cobra*

Originally Posted by aintnosin
If leverage can be a verb, blathering can be a noun.
i was just joking.. i mean blathering

Last edited by An4h0ny; 05-01-08 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 02:01 PM

I'm so tired of people telling me, for example, that Tarkovsky's films are boring that I tune those people out. On the other hand, if somebody told me that Steven Spielberg's films were boring, that would interest me, and I'd be eager to hear them out, assuming a justification for that position was forthcoming.
I tend to tune out people who write in future tense but then a sentence later write in past tense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.