Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

There is No God: Friedberg and Seltzer are at it again

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

There is No God: Friedberg and Seltzer are at it again

Old 04-29-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
are these movies really that profitable?

I would think that they dont make their money back - I wonder what they do in other markets?
Don't just wonder, do research.

Meet The Spartans

Domestic: $38,232,624 49.2%
+ Foreign: $39,535,917 50.8%
= Worldwide: $77,768,541

Date Movie
Domestic: $48,548,426 57.3%
+ Foreign: $36,247,230 42.7%
= Worldwide: $84,795,656

Epic Movie
Domestic: $39,739,367 45.8%
+ Foreign: $47,103,047 54.2%
= Worldwide: $86,842,414

By comparison, they all did about the same as or better than Zodiac, The Illusionist, United 93, and There Will Be Blood, requiring none of the massive investment, highly-planned advertising and award strategy, costly production or money-stunting R-rating. For studios running a business, it's a clear choice. Whenever they strive to make financially risky art films that show the magnitude of talent on display, it's only because they can afford it thanks to stuff like the lowest-brow puerile comedy that makes them money.
Old 04-29-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the concept of and Oscar or Prestige or Award Movie could be funny, because it actually contains something to make fun of, which is how seriously many of the movies take themselves. The whole idea of a spoof movie is to take something that takes itself too seriously and follows a pattern and take a left turn at the end to puncture the pretentiousness of it. If I were doing it, I'd try to get Kevin Spacey to be in it.

Not that a Friedberg and Seltzer Oscar/Prestige/Award Movie would capitalize on any of the potential. While I can't say I liked Date Movie, at least they had a couple of good jokes, but I've seen parts of Epic Movie on TV and it's potentially one of the top ten worst movies I've ever seen in my entire life. Anyone who had anything to do with that movie should just plain be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-29-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
By comparison, they all did about the same as or better than Zodiac, The Illusionist, United 93, and There Will Be Blood, requiring none of the massive investment, highly-planned advertising and award strategy, costly production or money-stunting R-rating. For studios running a business, it's a clear choice. Whenever they strive to make financially risky art films that show the magnitude of talent on display, it's only because they can afford it thanks to stuff like the lowest-brow puerile comedy that makes them money.
And the award movies do cost a lot to advertise, but also add prestige to the studios, which in turn allows them to sign A-list directors, actors, producers, etc... and can use that talent in mainstream stuff as well, which leads to big cash.

So people obviously smarter and more experienced than us are putting together strategies and plans to be most profitable, and these junk movies that profit fit have their spot right along the TWBB and NCFOM of the world. My tastes sway away from the junk and toward the NCFOM of the world, but I'm not going to sit here and kill folks for liking Date Movie and the like.
Old 04-29-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much money do we have riding that there will be a scene of an actor in the There Will Be Blood parody actually drinking a milkshake?
Old 04-29-08, 12:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Don't just wonder, do research.

Meet The Spartans

Domestic: $38,232,624 49.2%
+ Foreign: $39,535,917 50.8%
= Worldwide: $77,768,541

Date Movie
Domestic: $48,548,426 57.3%
+ Foreign: $36,247,230 42.7%
= Worldwide: $84,795,656

Epic Movie
Domestic: $39,739,367 45.8%
+ Foreign: $47,103,047 54.2%
= Worldwide: $86,842,414

Thanks for making me cry.
Old 04-29-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Studios have been putting out crappy movies for many, many decades. But as long as they put out good movies as well, I don't see the need to complain about something that makes money for them. We'd all make the same decision if we were in their shoes. Just keep voting with your dollars and try to convince others to do the same. That's about all you can do. These movies have an audience and they'll continue to make them.
Old 05-08-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jesus fucking Christ. It was announced the other day, that in fact, the film they're working on is Goodie Two Shoes (which is still on for late August) and their next new idea will be released in Spring of 2009 from Lionsgate.

I have no God now.
Old 05-08-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i see a fake juno does anyone recognize what the other 3 might be?
Old 05-08-08, 07:51 PM
Banned

Fat Albert?
Old 05-08-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly
How much money do we have riding that there will be a scene of an actor in the There Will Be Blood parody actually drinking a milkshake?

Wait, I mean .
Old 05-12-08, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this masterpiece now has an official title: DISASTER MOVIE

and there's even such original character names such as McLover...wow these guys seriously need to be shot in the face.
Old 05-12-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
I'm not interested in these movies but this poster is beyond awesome.
Old 05-12-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
I'm betting that it involves a guy in old-fashioned clothes doing hip-hop dancing to Kelis' "Milkshake."
Old 06-18-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 06-18-08 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-18-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is unbelievable.

Why haven't these two guys been castrated yet?
Old 06-18-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know how anyone could see any of those posters and think "I really want to see that." All they do is remind what NOT to see.
Old 06-18-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only question is why in the world did Fox pass this up? After the other 3 terrible films they made for them (all earning a profit), why stop now?
Old 06-18-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts
Maddox hates them too:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=af08
Old 06-18-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is unbelievable.

Why haven't these two guys been castrated yet?
Why haven't they been put into a Phantom Zone and banished from oblivion?
Old 06-18-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
On the bright side, don't these horrible pictures help Fox gather the movie to fund smaller projects, like Fox Searchlight? That's how I always looked at it.

I just do by best to ignore them. I just find it so pitiful that gone are the days of Airplane or Naked Gun. Now if you want a "slapstick/spoof" comedy you get crap like Meet The Spartans or Epic Movie.
Old 06-18-08, 08:06 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

There's a simple solution that doesn't involve whining on an internet forum: don't like their movies, don't go see them. (Like I've done for the past few(many) years.)
Old 06-19-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
My only question is why in the world did Fox pass this up? After the other 3 terrible films they made for them (all earning a profit), why stop now?
Maybe Fox realized they need to churn out some quality releases?

Also, it depends on how you look at earning a profit.

Meet the Spartans didn't actually break even until it's international release, unlike Date Movie or Epic Movie which Fox cleaned house on during their domestic theatrical releases.

Remember, a film has to clear it's production budget and it's advertising/marketing budget (this includes making prints) to make a profit. Meet the Spartans cost over $30 million to produce plus another $20-25 million (give or take) to advertise and market. It made as much as Epic Movie, but Epic Movie also cost less to make and advertise (a shock, I know).

With the way the douches are moving quickly with Disaster Movie, I am curious to know how much Lionsgate has on the line. Of course they're going to make money, but how much?

EDIT: Wikipedia says $25 million, but I feel that's a little bit light for a film that's gone from pre-production to release in five months flat.

EDIT x 2: It also kills me that Crista Flanagan signed on for another go around. Not only am I attracted to her, but she's one of the few bright spots at Mad TV at the moment. It kills me that she's acting in crap like this. Same goes for Nicole Parker.
Old 06-19-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Actually spoofing something would be a step in the right direction for these guys. They don't spoof anything. They simply dress people up like they are in 300 and then try to throw in pop culture references.
Exactly...
Old 06-19-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was on Film Drunk this morning...

"In DISASTER MOVIE, the filmmaking team behind the [s]hits "Scary Movie," "Date Movie," "Epic Movie" and "Meet The Spartans" this time puts its unique, inimitable stamp on one of the biggest and most bloated movie genres of all time the disaster film.

DISASTER MOVIE follows the comic misadventures of a group of ridiculously attractive twenty-somethings during one fateful night as they try to make their way to safety while every known natural disaster and catastrophic event - asteroids, twisters, earthquakes, the works hits the city and their path as they try to solve a series of mysteries to end the rampant destruction.

Taking aim at everything and everyone, from "Indiana Jones" [Not a disaster movie] and "Iron Man" [Also not a disaster movie] to Amy Winehouse [A disaster, maybe, but clearly not a movie] and High School Musical [Only a disaster if your male child is obsessed with it], DISASTER MOVIE lampoons the blockbuster movie, pop culture icons and public figures along the way as Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer satirize everything as only they can.
The few funny points of that article were alterations made by the editor, not the smart people behind the film.

EDIT: Source. The user submitted comments are pretty funny too.
Old 06-20-08, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde
My God that is all kinds of awesome.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.