DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies you are too embarrassed to admit that you love (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/530179-movies-you-too-embarrassed-admit-you-love.html)

aJOHNymous 04-23-08 03:00 PM

Movies you are too embarrassed to admit that you love

This thread has been done before, but not for a while.

I love the film, Dirty Dancing. There, I said it. I love everything about it. I love the soundtrack, the story, the Swayze, pre-nosejob Jennifer Grey, and the soundtrack. Did I mention the soundtrack? Yes, in fact I do have "Hungry Eyes." Thank you for noticing. If I see this movie on TV, I will watch it. Every damned time. Why? Because I am too embarrassed to add it to my DVD collection. But I own Bio-Dome on DVD and am not afraid to admit it. Yeah, I don't get it either.

[obvious exaggeration]
That being said, I would rather be caught masturbating to 2girls1cup by all of my co-workers than get caught by a friend of a friend watching Dirty Dancing. There is no good reason why I can't admit my love for this movie to my buddies. I'm sure they'd make fun of me for about 2 minutes, and then it would be forgotten - but they still must never know.
[/obvious exaggeration]

Focus:
Which movie(s) are you too embarrassed, proud, or ashamed to admit to liking/loving?

Alternate Focus:
Which movie(s) do people you know give you shit for liking/loving?

Apone 04-23-08 03:17 PM

I think I liked We Were Soldiers, on the basis it's a war movie and excellent war scenes. I don't own it yet but just between me and yours concerned - I will buy it someday and use DTS as an excuse. Hellboy, I enjoyed and plan on getting once it's in a box set with the sequel or something.

Doc MacGyver 04-23-08 03:21 PM

The Cutting Edge
My Life
Fantastic Four
and so help me, mother of god - Alien Vs. Predator

-Doc

Shannon Nutt 04-23-08 03:22 PM

If I'm too embarassed to admit I love them, then why would I admit them here? I'm too embarassed. :blush:

SoSpacey 04-23-08 03:32 PM

See, I am never afraid to admit anything.

I too love Dirty Dancing (I own the Blu-ray). You can join me at our monthly meetings if you'd like.

I also love Breakin', as well as the sequel, Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo.

Others of note:
Legally Blonde
Clueless
Love Actually
Mr. Holland's Opus
Star Wars Episode III
Zapped!

riotinmyskull 04-23-08 03:44 PM

i'm not really embarassed of anything i like but i guess 2 that come to mind would be THE LITTLE MERMAID and BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN or i guess anything that i own that might be considered a 'chick flick'

sundog 04-23-08 03:45 PM

I don't volunteer this info, but if someone asked me about the movie, I would proudly profess my enjoyment of:

Down with Love (2003)

And there are plenty others, but that's off the top of my head.

TGM 04-23-08 03:53 PM

Serendipity (although mostly due to my Kate Beckinsale obsession)
Armageddon
Son-in-Law

/goes to perform seppuku

Gdrlv 04-23-08 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Clueless

I love Clueless and never realized that was embarassing until I mentioned how much I liked the movie to a few friends. Was not expecting to get shit for it.

Burgundy LaRue 04-23-08 04:07 PM

My appreciation of Drop Dead Gorgeous may raise a few eyebrows. And while it's a cheap version of Psycho, I like Homicidal.

Patman 04-23-08 04:29 PM

"Bring it on"

JumpCutz 04-23-08 04:31 PM

Exorcist II :The Heretic
Eaten Alive
Ernest Goes To Jail
The Vanishing (american remake)

SterlingBen 04-23-08 04:41 PM

I didn't think Battlefield Earth was a s bad as everyone said. Perhaps this was because my expectations were so very very low when I saw it.

orangerory 04-23-08 04:44 PM

I really enjoyed "Love, Actually" even thought its definitely a chick flick.

aintnosin 04-23-08 04:50 PM

I can't say I love it, but I probably wouldn't brag about having Amazon Women on the Moon in my DVD collection.

devilshalo 04-23-08 05:27 PM

I have my share of chick flicks in my collection:

A Walk in the Clouds
Ghost
Stepmom
Sleepless in Seattle
You've Got Mail
What Dreams May Come
When Harry Met Sally

kstublen 04-23-08 05:33 PM

I'm not embarrassed to admit when I like a movie; never have been, never will be.

I absolutely adore "Shall We Dance" with Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez, and Susan Sarandon.

Others that people have given me hell about...How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, Sweet Home Alabama, and The Sweetest Thing.

Zen Peckinpah 04-23-08 05:39 PM

I'm pretty unabashed about my love for some movies, but I do have too much of an unhealthy obsession with 80's and early 90's action movies. Look at my DVD collection and you'll see the Godfather set, Chungking Express, numerous Criterion titles, and plenty of Scorsese and Lynch movies, but then I have The Adventures of Ford Fairlane and Commando and Cobra.

Also, Purple Rain. I own it on Blu-ray. Please don't mock me.

Oh, and I happened to love The Devil Wears Prada FAR MORE than I thought I ever would (Meryl Streep's performance is brilliant). My gender has prevented me from owning this.

bhk 04-23-08 06:01 PM

I don't care what some poseur or film critic thinks, therefore, I'm not embarrased at liking any movie.

devilshalo 04-23-08 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Also, Purple Rain. I own it on Blu-ray. Please don't mock me.

Now you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetaka.

Ginwen 04-23-08 06:28 PM

Notting Hill. I've seen it at least a dozen times and love it every time.

discostu1337 04-23-08 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
"Bring it on"

Exactly what I was going to post. Dunno why we're embarrassed though...Dunst and Dushku as cheerleaders...sold!

JOE29 04-23-08 07:08 PM

When Harry met Sally
Doc Hollywood
Teen Wolf

tanman 04-23-08 08:32 PM

Not really embarrassed that I liked much but my guy cousin one of his guy friends and I went to see My Best Friends Wedding. I have no idea why in the world we did, movies were cheap then and there wasn't really anything else to do, we were girlfriendless at the time. Of course the opening credits roll and if I remember correctly it is a very girly opening for a very girly movie. So here we are three guys going to see that movie. Uh...yeah...

I should just hand in my testicles right now.

And the cat in the hat better not come up in this conversation.

Quack 04-23-08 08:33 PM

Oliver and Company
Ernest Goes to Camp