Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE Thread (4/18-4/20) - Jet Li and Jackie Chan kick boxoffice butt

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE Thread (4/18-4/20) - Jet Li and Jackie Chan kick boxoffice butt

Old 04-20-08, 08:11 AM
  #26  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 48
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
I disagree. I think you're in a vast minority that didn't find Knocked Up and Superbad to be great comedies.

I'll be seeing FSM tomorrow. I bet this one will have pretty strong legs on it as all of Apatow's films have so far.
I guess I'm a minority too then... cause Apatows movies are all the same.. just a lot of cussing.
Old 04-20-08, 08:23 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frobidden Planet is playing at 300 more theaters than FSM, and it's PG-13 vs R. So that does give it an edge. I'll be shocked if FP stays ahead of FSM next weekend.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is going to open to around $18 million in April. How high did some of you think an R rated comedy would do in April?

40 Year Old Virgin - $21 million (August '05)
Knocked Up - $30 million (June '07)
Superbad - $33 million (August '07)

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 04-20-08 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-20-08, 08:24 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,549
Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
Originally Posted by sye46
I guess I'm a minority too then... cause Apatows movies are all the same.. just a lot of cussing.
Not in FSM. I just posted in that thread I prefer FSM to the other 'Apatow' flicks because it actually seems to be grounded in reality. A "This could happen" premise vs. the over-the-top premises for the other flicks. I think the language was more in the realm of reality as well, unlike Superbad where the F-bomb is dropped every 15 seconds.

Count me as another who never saw any promos for the Chan/Li movie. I actually didn't see anything until I saw a giant standee leaving FSM.
Old 04-20-08, 08:44 AM
  #29  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Frobidden Planet is playing at 300 more theaters than FSM, and it's PG-13 vs R. So that does give it an edge. I'll be shocked if FP stays ahead of FSM next weekend.
Warner Bros. re-released Forbidden Planet wide to go up against Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Now that I would pay to see!
Old 04-20-08, 09:06 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,797
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, no, no, Warners updated that film and included fro's on everyone's heads, thus "Frobidden Planet". Totally different movie with the fro's.
Old 04-20-08, 09:12 AM
  #31  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Shit, I think I'd pay double to see a movie where Robby The Robot sports a fro!

Last edited by Supermallet; 04-20-08 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-20-08, 09:43 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,797
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It'd be frotastic!
Old 04-20-08, 12:03 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Frobidden Planet is playing at 300 more theaters than FSM, and it's PG-13 vs R. So that does give it an edge. I'll be shocked if FP stays ahead of FSM next weekend.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is going to open to around $18 million in April. How high did some of you think an R rated comedy would do in April?

40 Year Old Virgin - $21 million (August '05)
Knocked Up - $30 million (June '07)
Superbad - $33 million (August '07)
I would have hoped for 20+ million, but then again no one from the previous movies had a big role in this, so I think the lack of audience recognition of any cast members played in a roll. I think this will have legs too, based on positive reaction.
Old 04-20-08, 01:53 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Box Office Mojo lists the budget for FSM at $30 million, so it should definitely turn a nice profit for Universal.
Old 04-20-08, 01:54 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 N The Forbidden Kingdom LGF $20,870,000 - 3,151 - $6,623 $20,870,000 - 1
2 N Forgetting Sarah Marshall Uni. $17,348,000 - 2,798 - $6,200 $17,348,000 $30 1
3 1 Prom Night (2008) SGem $9,100,000 -56.3% 2,700 - $3,370 $32,564,000 $20 2
4 N 88 Minutes Sony $6,800,000 - 2,168 - $3,136 $6,800,000 - 1
5 4 Nim's Island Fox $5,650,000 -38.0% 3,277 -241 $1,724 $32,857,000 $37 3
6 3 21 Sony $5,500,000 -47.5% 2,903 +167 $1,894 $69,984,000 $35 4
7 2 Street Kings FoxS $4,000,000 -67.9% 2,469 +2 $1,620 $19,879,000 $20 2
8 6 Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who! Fox $3,500,000 -40.9% 2,670 -539 $1,310 $144,407,000 $85 6
9 N Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed RM $3,153,000 - 1,052 - $2,997 $3,153,000 - 1
10 5 Leatherheads Uni. $3,022,000 -51.9% 2,798 +27 $1,080 $26,578,000 $58 3
11 7 Smart People Mira. $1,613,000 -60.6% 1,119 +13 $1,441 $6,818,000 - 2
12 9 Superhero Movie MGM/W $1,542,000 -52.1% 1,880 -646 $820 $23,538,000 - 4
Old 04-20-08, 02:22 PM
  #36  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Well, THE LONGEST YARD remake with Adam Sandler came out in summer and was a hit. So that could mean that it's the star that is to blame if the movie tanks.
Yea but Adam Sandler was the movie the football was just the background. Most people would just see it because of Sandler it just happened to be about football. People will watch Sandler in almost anything except Little Nicky apparently.
Old 04-20-08, 03:17 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,384
Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Yea but Adam Sandler was the movie the football was just the background. Most people would just see it because of Sandler it just happened to be about football. People will watch Sandler in almost anything except Little Nicky apparently.
Or Punch Drunk, or Spanglish.
Old 04-20-08, 03:37 PM
  #38  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder why the studios didn't release H&K 2 the weekend of 4/20. I'm sure it'll open with at least 23 million. Baby Mama, I think will be a bomb.
Old 04-20-08, 03:56 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,612
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
Or Punch Drunk, or Spanglish.
or Reign Over Me. Or 8 Crazy Nights.
Old 04-20-08, 05:17 PM
  #40  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,700
Received 966 Likes on 805 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I was expecting Sarah Marshall to open bigger.
amen! maybe it is because of Spring Break or something and people went away and not see movies? this should have been huge and to be beat by TFK...doesn't seem right.
Old 04-20-08, 05:26 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,384
Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Forgetting Sarah Marshall doesn't really appeal in the same way a movie called "Knocked Up" would, and it doesn't have the High School raunch niche filled like Superbad did. It was expected to open somewhere around $15m this weekend, nice to see it beat that. I do hope it has legs, as it is a very funny movie. I'm not particularly surprised, though, as a lot of people I talked to hadn't even heard of the movie.

In terms of advertising? I saw way more ads for Forbidden Kingdom, but I don't watch a lot of TV, they were definitely aiming for the young male (8 - 15)/families with that one.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-20-08 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 06:36 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Atascadero, CA
Posts: 10,532
Received 282 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not in FSM. I just posted in that thread I prefer FSM to the other 'Apatow' flicks because it actually seems to be grounded in reality. A "This could happen" premise vs. the over-the-top premises for the other flicks.
Yeah I hate far out premises like seventeen year old kids trying to get booze, a 40 year old virgin, or Seth Rogan getting laid.
Old 04-20-08, 10:05 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,262
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
amen! maybe it is because of Spring Break or something and people went away and not see movies? this should have been huge and to be beat by TFK...doesn't seem right.
Spring break was over a month ago. I know that as it'll be my last spring break forever (I get my degree in May).
Old 04-20-08, 10:15 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
College kids are the main crowd for the film and as any college student will tell you, April is the cruelest AND busiest month, so opening a college-kid-centric film in April was never the best idea. This would have done another 10 mil in Feb or the summer
Old 04-21-08, 08:10 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
DJLinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 8,995
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised about Forbidden Kingdom being #1, too. While I saw a few TV spots, I saw way more promotion for FSM (TV spots, movie trailer, internet ads, magazine articles). Guess I'm not in FK's demo.

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Also happy the ignorant biased documentary about supernatural creator of worlds isnt doing much business and wont be likely to expand. Hopefully Bill Mahers upcoming Religuous beats the shit out of this no intelligence doc.
I'm relieved that Bill Maher's doc will be agenda-free.
Old 04-21-08, 11:55 AM
  #46  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing it's because of Chan's and Li's first film together.. this is the main reason for the #1 this weekend..
Old 04-26-08, 10:24 AM
  #47  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bellefontaine, Ohio
Posts: 5,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
I wonder why the studios didn't release H&K 2 the weekend of 4/20. I'm sure it'll open with at least 23 million. Baby Mama, I think will be a bomb.
Sorry, Ronnie. Looks like your Harold & Kumar prediction was a bit too um "High".
Baby Mama is no. 1 this weekend with around $15 million and Harold & Kumar 2 looks to make about $13 million.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.