Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The "Star Wars" Saga ...questions you've always had?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The "Star Wars" Saga ...questions you've always had?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 04:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Obi-Wan was old, Yoda didn't do any lightsaber fighting, Vader was hampered by his machinery, and I guess Luke just wasn't very acrobatic?
Old 04-24-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
As Milo mentioned earlier, training either of them early would have notified Vader and the Emperor of their presence. Also, Anakin was raised as a slave with no father. Luke and Leia were both raised in much more stable family situations, and both have friends and mentors to help them through their personal tragedies. Anakin never felt like he could trust anyone, except Padme, whose presence only separates him further from everyone else.

Also, don't forget that the Emperor was actively trying to turn Anakin to the Dark Side from a very young age. Darth Vader makes one attempt at Luke, when he's in training, and the Emperor makes another when Luke is a full Jedi. I think these are all crucial differences as to why Anakin turned and Luke didn't.
Ah, right, I remember that argument from before.

Luke and Leia kinda lucked into the friendships that they had to support them through the tragedies, though (I guess in Leia's case, that makes sense since her whole planet was wiped out). And if Yoda could train adult Luke and not be discovered (after adult Luke was revealed to Vader), why not young Luke?

After Obi-Won pretty much crippled Anakin (which is the excuse made for why older Vader is so much less powerful than Anakin), why not have another go at him while he was still young? I still don't buy the whole "hiding for 20 years" thing. There are freaking humans (and non-Force powered aliens) forming a rebellion and the only remaining Jedi Knights can't be bothered to help?
Old 04-24-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tanman
All joking aside I think one thing that really hurt the prequels was the acting. Anakin in EpI was just way to doe eyed and just a horrible actor. I know he's a kid but still. Hayden didn't do that great of a job either, just way to overacted and much to theatrical. I know that Star Wars is very theatrical and was never known for it's great acting (Save for both Obi Wans, Qui Gon, and Han were all good IMHO) but I think it hurt the prequels more when we had to really buy into the emotions of Anakin and Padme to make the story work.

Granted a lot of it had to do with the writing more then anything else.
If i remember correctly in Roger Eberts review of Revenge of the Sith, he seemed to blame a lot of that bad acting on the script.

edit-after finding the review and reading it again for the first time in 3 years, he just mentions the dialogue for being the weakest part of the film, i seem to remember the review a little differently.

Last edited by paradicelost; 04-24-08 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Looking back at ROTJ, Vader's turn back to the light is pretty sudden too. There's some hints of it towards the end of TESB when he doesn't off Admiral Piett for losing the Falcon, and similarly, in AOTC, we see Anakin slaughter the Tuskens in cold blood.
Actually, there's a big hint in ESB when he tells Luke, "Why don't we team up, kill the Emperor, and end the bloody war."

Admittedly, it's the execution. Just watching these in a vacuum, you don't always pick up on things like this, you have to get into the EU or indepth discussions like this to really see all the nuances. I know many folks would consider this bad filmmaking, but then you miss out on all the alternate points of view that it brings to the table.
What you call "alternate points of view" I call "ham-handed retcons to fix Lucas's bad writing."
Old 04-24-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's one more: What exactly was Palpatine's plan in Episode I? He spends half the movie trying to keep Amidala away from Coruscant, ordering first the Trade Federation and then Darth Maul to capture her. But within five minutes of her arriving on Coruscant she convinces the Senate to depose Chancellor Stamp, paving the way for Palpatines ascension.
Old 04-24-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Who was Luke Skywalker's father?
Old 04-24-08, 10:05 PM
Suspended

Is "Deal or No Deal" now canon?
Old 04-24-08, 11:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Actually, there's a big hint in ESB when he tells Luke, "Why don't we team up, kill the Emperor, and end the bloody war."
I think you need to watch ESB again. He suggests killing the Emperor so he and Luke can rule the galaxy together. That's a far cry from Vader offering to restore the Republic.
Old 04-25-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
I think you need to watch ESB again. He suggests killing the Emperor so he and Luke can rule the galaxy together. That's a far cry from Vader offering to restore the Republic.

Yeah the sith are always looking to one up each other. The emperor wanted to bring luke in as a replacement to vader and vader wanted to overthrow the emperor and take luke as his apprentice.
Old 04-25-08, 02:21 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would Vader let Luke be the Emperor's new apprentice, if so what would happen to Vader?
Old 04-25-08, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Why would Vader let Luke be the Emperor's new apprentice, if so what would happen to Vader?

I don't think he was planning to. I think both vader and the emperor were planning on betraying each other and having Luke be their apprentice. Remember supposedly there can only be two sith, I'm not sure why but that is the precedent the movie sets.

BTW every star wars fan should have the soundtrack to EpIII. The DVD it comes with is a great musical montage to all six movies.

It will be a sad day when John Williams dies.

Last edited by tanman; 04-25-08 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I'm sure it's been asked but after watching all three of the new movies I have to ask why the jedi went from total bad asses (even the young Jedi in training seemed like they could take out an army) to total wimps in the OT? Vader, Obiwan, and Luke were nothing compared to earlier jedi.

Now I know the REAL reason (FX and all) but has Lucas (or any of the canon sources) ever explained it. Was the force drasticly weakened?
Yeah I had a buddy who said he hated how in the new movies the Jedi and Sith had become Superheroes with all their new abilities.

I saw a featurette where Lucas was explaining how back in Star Wars he wanted the Light sabers to be heavy and slow to wield like Broadswords. That's why the final Obi-wan/Vader duel back then was so slow.

Then in Empire Strikes back, Vader and Luke are fighting like fast moving Ninjas and throwing their Sabers no less.

I remember reading the one power Vader lost by losing his forearms, thanks to Obi-wan, was the ability to use Force Lightning like the Emperor.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-25-08 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
My question is...did they just happen to have spare parts that look badass for people who got decapitated?

I remember reading a review, saying that it was lame how Anakin was "reconstructed" all at once with all those parts. Looking back, I sort of agree.

Would that mean that if someone else were similarly injured, they would receive the same outfit?
Old 04-25-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read an explanation somewhere that said the fight less feircely in the OT because the did not have an academy to train at. Therefore they didn't have the constant skill sharpenning that human trainning partners gets you. The had to rely on driods and such.

And in the OT Vader was older and half machine, so it figures that he would be less nimble.
Old 04-25-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW every star wars fan should have the soundtrack to EpIII. The DVD it comes with is a great musical montage to all six movies.
This is the best "bonus disc" I ever got. There are some great custom covers floating around for it too.
Old 04-25-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by XavierMike

And in the OT Vader was older and half machine, so it figures that he would be less nimble.

Hmmm, I don't buy that. Dooku was pretty nimble(the fast duel that took Anakin's arm) and he was much older than Vader was when Vader killed Obi-wan.
Old 04-25-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I don't think Dooku was that nimble. The point remains that Vader/Ben are 20 years out of practice. I think Dooku just had the benefit of staying on top of his game.
Old 04-25-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't say Vader wants to restore the Republic. But he does tell Luke they could "end this destructive conflict," which tells me he doesn't like the way Palpatine is running things.
Old 04-25-08, 09:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Naboo has a constitutionally elected queen with term limits
Which begs the question: what the hell was Naboo thinking when they elected a teenaged girl to be queen?

It would be as if Jamie Lynn Spears were vying for the Republican nomination in the 2008 election.
Old 04-25-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If Quigon survived the first movie, think it would be possible that Anakin wouldn't have turned?
Old 04-25-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking back at ROTJ, Vader's turn back to the light is pretty sudden too. There's some hints of it towards the end of TESB when he doesn't off Admiral Piett for losing the Falcon, and similarly, in AOTC, we see Anakin slaughter the Tuskens in cold blood.
Actually I don't think it was that sudden in ROTJ. Luke and Vader had their discussion on Endor where Vader just said, its hopeless for me, I'm a lost cause. He was basically lamenting his fate, not continuing "I'm so super evil"
Old 04-25-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't think Dooku was that nimble. The point remains that Vader/Ben are 20 years out of practice. I think Dooku just had the benefit of staying on top of his game.
Well after seeing him do a somersault and flip off a platform during the mini duel vs. Anakin in EP 3, I'd say he's pretty nimble.
Old 04-25-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I think both vader and the emperor were planning on betraying each other and having Luke be their apprentice.
If Vader was going to betray the Emperor, why didn't he just "conveniently" react too slow when Luke got angry and powered on his light saber? Instead, Vader blocks what would have been a lethal blow to the Emperor's neck.
Old 04-25-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rennervision
If Vader was going to betray the Emperor, why didn't he just "conveniently" react too slow when Luke got angry and powered on his light saber? Instead, Vader blocks what would have been a lethal blow to the Emperor's neck.
If that had happened there would have been no funeral scene and Hayden Christianson could not have been added into Ep. VI
Old 04-25-08, 02:13 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Because if Luke had struck the Emperor down, he would have turned to the dark side. It's Vader saving Luke.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.