Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movies did you enjoy as a kid, but you now realize were utter garbage?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-10-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure we all had movies like this. As a kid, you haven't seen a lot so you are a lot more accepting of crap because you simply don't realize it's crap.

I remember liking "Mac & Me" but thinking it was weird, not at all realizing that it was an E.T. rip off, because I hadn't seen E.T.

I saw Mac & Me recently, and HOLY HELL, it is baaad! They even hilariously set it up for a sequel at the end, with the little alien exclaiming "We'll be back!"
Old 04-10-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Where the Buffalo Roam- Bill Murray & Peter Boyle. I watched this numerous times as a youngster now it just collects dust on my shelf. That's the first one that comes to my mind.
Old 04-10-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I remember Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure being awful when I saw it again 5-10 years ago. I couldn't finish it.
Old 04-10-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Garbage Pail Kids. That movie is so hilariously bad. I remember watching it a few times when I was younger and being grossed out, but loving the movie.

I watched it a few months ago because my girlfriend's little sister loves the movie, and it is so cheesy. I mean you have these tough guys beating up a 12 year old?
Old 04-10-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red Dawn
Old 04-10-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
Independence Day - I loved it when I was younger, but it just is not a good movie.

Most anything shown on HBO friday nights.
Old 04-10-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
WEIRD SCIENCE - I thought it was great comedy. I know better know.

PORKY'S II: THE REVENGE - Loved it in the theater...showed it to my friends on home video. They didn't laugh once. Neither did I.

THE CHAMP (Jon Voight/Ricky Schroeder) - Believed it was a thoughtful, touching drama, instead of the shameless tearjerker it truly is.
Old 04-10-08, 05:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 903 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Red Dawn
RD holds up surprisingly well for me. it isn't nearly as great as i remember, but i watch it over and over and still love this classic.
Old 04-10-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

3 O'Clock High and Johnny Dangerously are two that fit the mold. Loved each of these when I was a lot younger - bought the DVDs - and found out that the humor was goofy and kind of stupid. Didn't like 'em. Could have been my mood so I kept them for another day ...
Old 04-10-08, 05:53 PM

Labyrinth. It's downright embarrassing to watch now, even by myself.

Strange Brew. I remember it being hilarious. Then I saw it about two years ago and don't think I laughed once. It's really terrible.
Old 04-10-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My appreciation for Labyrinth has actually grown as I aged. I didn't much like it when I saw it at 11.

Mac and Me is definitely a terrible film. I can't believe I liked it all.

I'm also sad to say, Flight of the Navigator. Just saw that a few months ago and it was pretty hard to sit through. It had some good moments but too few.
Old 04-10-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pardon my short, fragmented ramblings on this one, but this happens to be a paramount subject for me.

Some comments on previously mentioned stuff...be aware I only saw these movies recently in the past few years, so I didn't grow up on them per se:

Mac and Me I have not seen, but I have seen the Paul Rudd-approved wheelchair fall scene, which is ungodly funny, and the notorious McDonald's sequence which might be the most ridiculous product placement on film, blowing any Michael Bay example out the water.

Red Dawn is a bonafide cheesefest, complete with Swayze, Sheen, C. Thomas Howell, and Powers motherfuckin' Boothe.

Weird Science isn't Breakfast Club or Planes Trains and Automobiles, but the movie is watchable and Bill Paxton is fucking hilarious as the douchebag older brother.

And Where the Buffalo Roam is a film I LOVE, mainly due to my love for Thompson, Murray, and Peter Boyle. Sure, Depp played Hunter better, but watching Bill Murray go into gonzo mode is great.

Independence Day was so cool when I was 8, saw it twice in theaters. had the 5-Star DVD, realized a few years back the movie is lame. I've contemplated checking out the Blu-ray just to see how dumb it has become.

Three O'Clock High is like if John Hughes wrote After Hours, and I love every minute of it.

Okay, some personal picks now:

Clifford with Martin Short and Charles Grodin. I seriously bought this a couple weeks back in all its fullscreen glory, and while it's absolutely horrible, the laughs are frequent and often unbearable. If you haven't seen this, and you have masochistic tendencies with movies, you need to see it. Martin Short playing an evil 10-year-old who tortures his haggard architect uncle in order to go to a dinosaur theme park. I thought it was the funniest fucking thing in like 1994-5, and to be honest, I watched some of it again and it was still funny, but I could see right through any merit I thought it had. But it is actually pretty goddamned funny when he replaces Grodin's Bloody Mary with Tabasco sauce. Or when he buys the dinosaur costume from the fat kid. That new Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly movie Step Brothers not only has mary Steenburgen as well, but also looks like an R-rated, Apatow-on-crack version of this one.

Similarly, Stay Tuned with John Ritter has a nostalgic feel for me, but it ain't No Country for Old Men.

Batman Forever and Batman and Robin were, sadly, good movies to me...until I realized there were nipples. On. The. BAT SUIT. I saw both on opening day too.http://forum.dvdtalk.com/newreply.ph...e=1&p=8619014#
More

I saw Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls four times in theaters. I haven't even seen the first one since the late 90's. And no matter what I do, I can't break my record of seeing a movie more times in theaters.

At work the other day I saw Houseguest with Sinbad and Phil Hartman (RIP) on some movie channel (work at a Radio Shack), and it works on the account of nostalgia, nothing more. If John Candy was in it as originally planned before he died, this probably would have been great, but it's excessively wacky with Sinbad on board and pretty goddamned lame. And much like Mac and Me, it has obscene McDonald's product placement.
Old 04-10-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krull
Superman 3
Old 04-10-08, 06:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I don't know about "utter garbage," but Child's Play is more funny now than it is scary. The silly sequels didn't help much with that.
Old 04-10-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Masters of the Universe
Ewok Adventure
Critters

Not terrible, but not very good:
Robin Hood: POT
Old 04-10-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damnation Alley
Old 04-10-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Breakin and i loved the sequel even more and i caught it again maybe a few years ago and damn they were bad, just horrible.
Old 04-10-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I remember Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure being awful when I saw it again 5-10 years ago. I couldn't finish it.
While this is definitely true of Excellent Adventure, Bogus Journey still holds up very well. It's fast-paced, imaginative and the ending is brilliant.
Old 04-10-08, 06:52 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Both B&T's are very as hell.
Old 04-10-08, 07:04 PM
Banned

Definitely Garbage Pail Kids. Watched it recently and it made my eyes bleed One hour photo style.
Old 04-10-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There really aren't a lot. I was a big fan of films like Neverending Story, Goonies, Indiana Jones, The Gate and Godzilla as a kid and those films still hold such a special place in me that I couldn't ever consider them crap. Films I liked as a kid may not be great films to other people, but they're far from crap in my eyes.
Old 04-10-08, 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=RichC2]Independence Day - I loved it when I was younger, but it just is not a good movie.

QUOTE]
same, plus id also like to add true lies to that list aswell as weekend at bernies and twins

they were all funny when i was younger but now seeing them years later its just sad
Old 04-10-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
I actually still enjoy True Lies
Old 04-10-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieMaster11
Definitely Garbage Pail Kids. Watched it recently and it made my eyes bleed One hour photo style.
God i remember loving that movie back when i was a kid. I must've watched that movie a million times. I revisited the film recently. I couldn't even finish the piece of shit movie. But the trading cards are still cool.

One movie that has help up for me over time is the power rangers movie. I loved it as a kid and I still enjoy it. Amy Jo Johnson is smokin hot in that movie
Old 04-10-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jurassic Park. The T-Rex scene is still great to watch, but I couldn't get through a single line of dialogue without cringing during a recent screening.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.