Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar slate through 2012

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney/Pixar slate through 2012

Old 04-09-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
A Cars sequel in 2012? Here's hoping the Mayans got it right with that calendar thing.
Old 04-09-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I read Cars 2 and wasn't excited. However, if they throw in Europe and some more F1 references then I think I'd be good with that. Plus they could do a joke with driving through Paris and have Remmy step out and say you're too lound or something like that.
Old 04-09-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,124 Posts
The Pixar stuff intrigues me, the Disney Animation stuff...not so much.

Newt sounds interesting, though the choice of director has me worried. Rydstrom did a good job with lifted but it was a short film that played primarily around sound rather than anything else. I'm not sure what a feature length film would be like.
Old 04-09-08, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Incredibles sequel? Boo.
Old 04-09-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Fixed that for you.

I would rather see a sequel to The Incredibles or Ratatouille before Cars.
I would too. But, Cars is John Lasseter's baby. That and Cars is the second most successful Pixar movie after Nemo for Disney. I'm sure add those together, Cars gets bumped to the head of the line.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The Pixar stuff intrigues me, the Disney Animation stuff...not so much.
It's worth noting that the people who run Pixar are now the same people who run everything else Disney animated. So, I would expect the quality to improve immensely. We haven't actually seen the results of that changeover yet though, so it's hard to really judge.
Old 04-09-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 645 Likes on 453 Posts
I don't get the hate for Cars. It was enjoyable enough, and there's plenty of room for a sequel.
Old 04-09-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Cars is the second most successful Pixar movie after Nemo for Disney.
Not true.

Domestic Rankings:

1) Finding Nemo $339.7 million
2) The Incredibles $261.4 million
3) Monster's Inc. $ 255.9 million
4) Toy Story 2 $245.9 million
5) Cars $244.1 million
6) Ratatouille $206.4 million
7) Toy Story $191.8 million
8) A Bug's Life $162.8 million

International Rankings:

1) Finding Nemo $524.9 million
2) Rataouille $415 million
3) The Incredibles $370 million
4) Monster's Inc. $269.5 million
5) Toy Story 2 $239.2 million
6) Cars $217.9 million
7) A Bug's Life $200.6 million
8) Toy Story $170.2 million

Worldwide Rankings:

1) Finding Nemo $864.6 million
2) The Incredibles $631.4 million
3) Ratatouille $621.4 million
4) Monster's Inc. $525.4 million
5) Toy Story 2 $485.1 million
6) Cars $462 million
7) A Bug's Life $363.4 million
8) Toy Story $362 million
Old 04-09-08, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Not true.
While your box office numbers are correct, it doesn't paint a full picture. Cars was and is a merchandising monster, and has driven tons of revenue far beyond any theatrical receipts. That's what puts it in the position I said, and I'm sure they want to keep that gravy train rolling. Pehraps I should say Pixar property, not movie per se.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 04-09-08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't get the hate for Cars. It was enjoyable enough, and there's plenty of room for a sequel.
Seriously.
Old 04-09-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Because on this site Larry the Cable Guy is worse than Hitler.
I don't like him either, but he didn't ruin the movie for me. I enjoyed Cars, moreso in repeat viewings. My son loves it. He likes all the Pixar movies, but Cars is easily the most watched. I'd be worried if the sequel were being rushed, but it seems they are taking time.
Old 04-09-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, maybe they just thought Cars would be better suited for a sequel than the others. I hope Paul Newman can come back for at least a cameo if nothing else.

Ratatouille ended so damn well that I just don't see how they can make a sequel.
Old 04-09-08, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Ratatouille ended so damn well that I just don't see how they can make a sequel.
Rat doesn't need a sequel. But certainly one could make an easy argument for an Incredibles sequel.

But perhaps Brad Bird just doesn't want to retread that territory. I'm sure Lasseter likes his property though, and well, I doubt he has much trouble greenlighting whatever he wants. Especially when it's a sequel to a film that made craptons of money (granted, that describes every Pixar movie...but this one in particular).
Old 04-09-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cars is my favorite Pixar film. My five-year-old loves it and watches parts of it 3 or 4 times a week. It never grows old. Some of the other Pixar stuff makes me cringe after the third or fourth showing.

I would gladly give up all future Pixar offerings for a Cars sequel in '09 (or '10).
Old 04-09-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,124 Posts
Originally Posted by jaeufraser
It's worth noting that the people who run Pixar are now the same people who run everything else Disney animated. So, I would expect the quality to improve immensely. We haven't actually seen the results of that changeover yet though, so it's hard to really judge.
I would hope the quality would improve but 4 freaking Tinkerbell movies doesn't leave me feeling too optimistic.
Old 04-09-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate Larry The Cable Guy, but I honestly didn't realize it was him in the movie until later. I mean it's not like those were his jokes or anything, and I don't think I heard "Get 'er Done" once in that movie (although I could be wrong). As long as he just provides the voice and does none of the writing, I could care less. The character was funny, and the main reason I didn't realize it was him until much later was that Mater's voice seemed much less annoying than the usual Larry voice I hear every once in a while on TV Commercials advertising his crappy upcoming movies (Delta Farce, Witless Protection, etc.)

EDIT: The Incredibles could use a sequel though. But as far Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Monsters, Inc. and a Bug's Life are concerned I think they all ended just fine and have no desire for any sequels.
Old 04-09-08, 09:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I would hope the quality would improve but 4 freaking Tinkerbell movies doesn't leave me feeling too optimistic.
The Tinkerbell movies aren't the only ones being done by Disney animation, and it's a little unfair to judge their upcoming theatrical outings by what will most likely be four very benign made for DVD films.
Old 04-09-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Only Rednecks and George W. Bush enjoy NASCAR.
Old 04-09-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Lasseter put an end to Disney's DTV sequels, especially the Tinkerbell movie(s). Why are they still coming out?
Old 04-10-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I thought Lasseter put an end to Disney's DTV sequels, especially the Tinkerbell movie(s). Why are they still coming out?
I wonder if one of the agreements for Pixar running Disney's animation division was that any currently planned DTV projects would be allowed to continue but no new DTV projects would be allowed?
Old 04-10-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm surprised Cars is getting a sequel. I enjoyed it a lot and think its underrated, but it felt like the general reaction was less positive then some of the other movies. The Incredibles seems more suited to a sequel.
Old 04-10-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with a few people here who are disappointed with the announcement of a Cars sequel. It is by far my least favorite movie they have done.

I loved the characters and settings in A Bug's Life, Monsters Inc., and The Incredibles but to be honest I am not sure sequels could live up to the originals. Having them make a sequel in fine because if it cheapens the first movie at all I won't be bothered in the least.

I look forward to their upcoming projects and can't wait to see the 3D stuff on the big screen.
Old 04-10-08, 04:47 AM

come on....cars 2? was the incredibles 2 just a rumor? i thought bird was working on it.
Old 04-10-08, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 549 Likes on 391 Posts
I didn't think Cars was that successful at the BO but as successful as Cars is in merchandise I doubt it if it made $200 million more just on merchandise. Isn't merchandising usually under $100 million for a very successful movie?

And I thought Mater was alright. The voice really fit. On the other hand I hated Owen Wilson in the movie and thought it was the one Pixar casting choice that did not fit. But I think I'm the only one that thinks that.

Out of all the Pixar movies that deserve a sequel Incredibles is it. I mean it was the only Pixar film to end with a cliffhanger. All the other pixar films ended definitively to the point where a sequel would cheapen either Monster's Inc., Nemo, Bug's Life, or even Cars.

Really looking forward to the creativity that stems from Pixar in their new movies. An old guy and a young person on a worldwide whirlwind tour? Cool! Two newts being forced to mate? Awesome.

Hasn't the Frog and the Princess been in development for a really long time?
Old 04-10-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 645 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
Hasn't the Frog and the Princess been in development for a really long time?
A couple years. AFAIK, it is a traditional hand-drawn 2D film. Those take 3-4 years to complete.
Old 04-10-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,054 Likes on 686 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I thought Lasseter put an end to Disney's DTV sequels, especially the Tinkerbell movie(s).
He put an end to the cheapquels and scrapped just about everything about the Tinkerbell movie that was then underway. The plan wasn't to not make Tinkerbell so much as to not make that version of the movie.

Edited to add -- just did a quick Google search and found this on Lasseter and Tinkerbell: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/new...n-lasseter.php

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.