Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight (Batman Begins 2) Discussion - Part 2

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight (Batman Begins 2) Discussion - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought that trailer comparison wasnt real? Just an edited trailer for Burton's Batman.
Old 07-16-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
That looks more like Aaron Eckharts face than Ledger's.
That is exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Okay, seriously. I'm finished here. Later.

K
Old 07-16-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
i thought that trailer comparison wasnt real? Just an edited trailer for Burton's Batman.
It isn't real, it's the Burton Batman flick hacked up to loosely match The Dark Knight trailer.
Old 07-16-08, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That trailer reminds me how I much I still love Burton's Batman and as original as The Dark Knight appears to be it's still not all that original.
Yeah, bringing back the musical numbers by Prince is a major downer.
Old 07-17-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That trailer reminds me how I much I still love Burton's Batman and as original as The Dark Knight appears to be it's still not all that original.
Old 07-17-08, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/2...624914500.html

Oscar watchers dampen award hype for Ledger's Joker

When the new Batman movie "The Dark Night" began screenings last month before its U.S. debut on Friday, some moviegoers saw Heath Ledger as an instant Oscar candidate as the deranged villain, The Joker.

But Oscar watchers and veteran critics say the joke may be on fans creating mostly Internet-based buzz because an Academy Award for the Australian actor, who died of an accidental drug overdose in January, would be a rare event.

Only one actor has won an Oscar after death, Peter Finch for 1976's "Network."

"Dark Knight" is the type of comic book, action adventure that Oscar voters generally do not favor and there are many movies to see later this year, the experts said.

Still, Ledger's critically hailed performance may bring a nomination for the U.S. film industry's top award, to be presented next on February 22, 2009.

"All this Oscar talk is a phenomenon of the Internet age that I like to call 'a wish-fulfillment rumor.' If people say it often enough, they think it will happen," said Leonard Maltin, film critic for TV program "Entertainment Tonight."

"That's not to say it might not happen," he said, citing a "great performance" by Ledger. "But I assure you that the people who are spreading all this are neither Oscar voters nor (Hollywood) movers and shakers."

Tom O'Neil, a columnist for award-watching Web site The Envelope.com, said "it really looks good" for a nomination but was "a long shot" to win.

Hollywood has a long history of seeing big stars -- James Dean, Marilyn Monroe and Bruce Lee among them -- appearing in high-profile films released after their untimely deaths.

O'Neil said that when Finch died, Hollywood was in the middle of Oscar season and also in shock. Prior to that, Robert De Niro was sweeping the critics' awards for "Taxi Driver."

Veteran Oscar watcher O'Neil also sees parallels between the truncated careers of Ledger and James Dean.

"Like Heath, James Dean was a heartthrob star who was considered a serious actor, who died tragically young," O'Neil said. "He was nominated twice posthumously, for "East of Eden" and "Giant," and he lost both times."

Even the legendary Spencer Tracy was ignored by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which gives out the Oscars, after he died in 1967 just as "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?" was coming. And he was the front-runner, O'Neil said.

Tracy's co-star Katharine Hepburn did win best actress for "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?"

"That's how reluctant Oscar voters are to hug the dead," O'Neil said. "These awards are all about hugs and there's something creepy about embracing the dead."

Bah, I'll wait till I actually see his performance before call bullshit on this, but the fact that he died doesn't mean shit (and shouldn't), if he deserves it, he deserves it.

Last edited by T-bone22; 07-17-08 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-17-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grrr
NY also has the most film critics per capita. Combine that with academic leanings, perhaps a more conservative attitude toward the role of comic book films, and the Village and you'll end up with at least a handful of negative reviews. You need at least a few critics to bring expectations down to a reasonable level, though; Pauline Kael and her shrewish kin deserve their place in the world of film. And I for one can't wait to read Walter Chow's description of the batpod as a turgid metal phallus.

To be honest, I can understand why someone wouldn't like the film. If you walk in expecting Iron Man or Batman Begins 2, you're likely to be upset when knives are inserted into unwilling mouths and upright, decent people begin dropping like flies. Half the audience sat through the credits in stunned silence while the other half (mostly kids) clapped and cheered.
As expected, Walter Chaw pissed all over the movie: http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenre...darkknight.htm

Originally Posted by Walter Chaw
It's the best American film of the year so far and likely to remain that way.
What about the last 10 years? Pfft, what a douche.

Edit: Oh wait, he addressed that too:

Originally Posted by Walter Chaw
There's not a moment of The Dark Knight that's fun, not one single ray of light in its thick running time that concedes to popular appreciation; am I going too far to say that this might be the best American movie since fellow sequel The Godfather Part II? Rolling that around on my tongue, I have to say it feels right.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-17-08 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do any of you actually care about what Walter Chaw has to say about anything?

He's a total waste of time, and not even an entertaining waste of time.
Old 07-17-08, 01:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Thanks for posting that. It seems he doesn't do many interviews, so it's nice to see him once in a while.
yeah, i was hoping he would do the late night shows. everyone else did and they were real fun. too bad.
Old 07-17-08, 01:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
That looks more like Aaron Eckharts face than Ledger's.
either way i think it is a nice keepsake from a huge movie and a sad, but kind of memorial to a talent lost.
Old 07-17-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Do any of you actually care about what Walter Chaw has to say about anything?

He's a total waste of time, and not even an entertaining waste of time.
Not really, but considering the post I'm responding to, it's all in the spirit of being goofy over critics that will "obviously give negative reviews". Or in this case, penis references (or lack there of).

That said, I was always a fan of one pic he posted, for his Narnia review:

Last edited by RichC2; 07-17-08 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by T-bone22

"All this Oscar talk is a phenomenon of the Internet age that I like to call 'a wish-fulfillment rumor.' If people say it often enough, they think it will happen," said Leonard Maltin, film critic for TV program "Entertainment Tonight."
Speaking of Maltin, I looked up his reviews in his movie guide. I can't wait to see where he places TDK.

Batman Begins ***
Batman Forever ***

Batman and Robin ** 1/2
Batman (1989) ** 1/2
Batman:MotP ** 1/2

Batman Returns **
Batman (1966) **
Old 07-17-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[spoiler]

1. Was anyone else surprised that the big death in the movie was The Joker killing Commissioner Gordon?

2. What did people think about the cameo of Bane? I liked how they changed things around and made Batman break Bane's back.

3. For a new type of origin story, what did people think of The Joker turning Rachel Dawes into Harley Quinn?

[/spioler]

Old 07-17-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those had better not be real fucking spoilers.

Also, why is everyone talking about that Chaw guy "pissing all over" the movie, when he gave it ****?
Old 07-17-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by abrg923
Those had better not be real fucking spoilers.

Also, why is everyone talking about that Chaw guy "pissing all over" the movie, when he gave it ****?
sarcasm doesn't translate well into text is all. And it isn't everyone, it's just me, the other post says he sucks as a critic, period, and another wanted to see Chaw's penis references for TDK (there weren't any.)
Old 07-17-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
[spoiler]

1. Was anyone else surprised that the big death in the movie was The Joker killing Commissioner Gordon?

2. What did people think about the cameo of Bane? I liked how they changed things around and made Batman break Bane's back.

3. For a new type of origin story, what did people think of The Joker turning Rachel Dawes into Harley Quinn?

[/spioler]

good god, do you know how many people were probably just repremanded by their boses for suddenly doing this:

-Doc
Old 07-17-08, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
good god, do you know how many people were probably just repremanded by their boses for suddenly doing this:

-Doc
So I assume those were NOT real spoilers?
Old 07-17-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by StephenX
So I assume those were NOT real spoilers?

<---this guy didn't tip you off?

-Doc
Old 07-17-08, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
As expected, Walter Chaw pissed all over the movie: http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenre...darkknight.htm

What about the last 10 years? Pfft, what a douche.

Edit: Oh wait, he addressed that too:

Not really, but considering the post I'm responding to, it's all in the spirit of being goofy over critics that will "obviously give negative reviews". Or in this case, penis references (or lack there of).
I never said that I expected him to dislike TDK, just that I looked forward to his legitimately pretentious review in which he would work the word "phallic" into the piece. Sadly, Walter CHAW has let me down.

For RichC2 and other posters who are ignorant of CHAW's review of Batman Begins, he's the critic who famously referenced the "dank, vaginal tunnel" commonly known as the batcave. Although admittedly BB did delve into psych with Crane's ramblings about Jungian archetypes, there were plenty of readers in 2005 (myself included) who found this neo-Freudian gibberish hilarious.

Last edited by grrr; 07-17-08 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
<---this guy didn't tip you off?

-Doc
He eluded me before I replied. lol.
Old 07-17-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grrr
I never expected him not to like it. I just anticipated that he would work the word "phallic" into his review.

For non-CHAW readers, he's the critic who explicitly referenced Wayne's frequent return to the "vaginal batcave" in Begins. Freud lives on...
Yeah, I remember that now, he writes that about a lot of flicks heh.
Old 07-17-08, 03:40 PM

What time are those of you who are seeing the midnight showing getting there tonight? Since I'm meeting friends at a theater that's a bit of a drive from me, I don't want to get there when there's already a huge line.
Old 07-17-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Damn I want to go so bad. But I have to work at 1am.
Old 07-17-08, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by SomeVoices
What time are those of you who are seeing the midnight showing getting there tonight? Since I'm meeting friends at a theater that's a bit of a drive from me, I don't want to get there when there's already a huge line.
I think my friends and I are planning on getting there around 10:30am....AMC here has it playing on 6+ screens, so it should be sufficient. There is like 12 total going, so a few of us will get there to ensure everyone can sit together.
Old 07-17-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Is it 12:01am yet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.