Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Charlton Heston dies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Charlton Heston dies

Old 04-06-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And let's not forget his work in Wayne's World 2.

RIP
Old 04-06-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
Judah Ben-Hur: Almost at the moment He died, I heard Him say, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
Esther: Even then.
Judah Ben-Hur: Even then. And I felt His voice take the sword out of my hand.

Charlton Heston
Old 04-06-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
No matter what he said or did offscreen, cannot negate the legacy of his films and the impact it had on Hollywood.
Old 04-06-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
And let's not forget his work in Wayne's World 2.

RIP
Beat me to it. One of my favorite cameos of all time...
Old 04-06-08, 09:18 AM

Damn dirty apes.
Old 04-06-08, 09:20 AM
Banned

I was just thinking about how Charlton Heston is probably gonna pass away soon last week at work for some reason.
Sad news though. Planet of The Apes, Ben-Hur, Any Given Sunday, True Lies, and many other Heston pictures are fully realized classics and/or masterpieces. Ever since seeing Bowling for Columbine I find it hard to think of him without thinking of that film but it still can never tarnish his great choices in the films he made. I too just got El Cid and it looks great and cant wait to watch it sometime.
RIP Mr. Heston.
Old 04-06-08, 09:25 AM

Moses
Touch of Evil
The Big Country
Ben Hur
El Cid
55 Days at Peking
The War Lord
General Gordon
Taylor in Planet of the Apes
Major Dundee
Will Penny
The Omega Man
Soylent Green
The Three Musketeers
Earthquake

and on, and on...

One of the towering greats of the industry, with a tremendous physical presence, skill and range as an actor and innate integrity.

As long as we are in need of historical heroes, Charlton Heston will be sorely missed.

R.I.P.
Old 04-06-08, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
No matter what he said or did offscreen, cannot negate the legacy of his films and the impact it had on Hollywood.
Yes....a lot of folks here just think of his ties to the NRA but he was infact one of the first celebs to take up the Civil Rights banner in the 1960's and march before it became fashonable to do so.

I am sad...he was the only movie star idol I ever had as kid and I still have that kid in me, it seems.

In an interview about the movie TOUCH OF EVIL, Orson Welles was asked what working with Heston was like. His response was very simple. He said, (quote) "He is the nicest man to work with who ever lived in movies"

R.I.P. Charlton Heston.

It is the end of an era.
Old 04-06-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
Yes....a lot of folks here just think of his ties to the NRA but he was infact one of the first celebs to take up the Civil Rights banner in the 1960's and march before it became fashonable to do so.
He was always about civil rights. Like it or not, the 2nd Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights, and Heston strongly believed in the whole thing - he didn't believe in cherry-picking what you liked out of it.

He was a strong supporter of Dr. King in the 60's, and both King and JFK considered Heston to be a friend.

And let's not forget this was the longest running SAG president ever - that's not something a right wing wacko facist would ever be able to accomplish!

Heston was a complex man, but demonizing him the way some people do is just stupid and ignorant.

I'll always think of him as a great actor first, but also as a man who always stood up for what he thought was right - a man who stuck to his beliefs.
Old 04-06-08, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by B5Erik
He was always about civil rights. Like it or not, the 2nd Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights, and Heston strongly believed in the whole thing - he didn't believe in cherry-picking what you liked out of it.

He was a strong supporter of Dr. King in the 60's, and both King and JFK considered Heston to be a friend.

And let's not forget this was the longest running SAG president ever - that's not something a right wing wacko facist would ever be able to accomplish!

Heston was a complex man, but demonizing him the way some people do is just stupid and ignorant.

I'll always think of him as a great actor first, but also as a man who always stood up for what he thought was right - a man who stuck to his beliefs.
Amen!
And what about the comments current Hollywood golden boy George Clooney made about Heston? I hope EW,ET,ACCESS HOLLYWOOD and E! report that along with Heston's NRA comments.
Old 04-06-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
While I always respected his acting and that he was in my several of my favorite films, I never cared for his personal ideology. Still, it's the former the way I will always remember him for.
Old 04-06-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Amen!
And what about the comments current Hollywood golden boy George Clooney made about Heston? I hope EW,ET,ACCESS HOLLYWOOD and E! report that along with Heston's NRA comments.
What did Clooney say?

Heston, RIP old timer.
Old 04-06-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Amen!
Old news. Way old news.
Old 04-06-08, 11:15 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
He's made some great movies (and some duds). And married for 64 years...wow.

RIP
Old 04-06-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The man had a great life. Sad to see him go, but it feels complete.
Old 04-06-08, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Old news. Way old news.
It's no older than Heston being in the NRA. And this is what I mean how they will try and bury that story.
It is why I believe George Clooney will not be the darling with the majority of the American movie public and why he isn't the box-office king he should be. Clooney does have the IT, but those comments he made about Heston turns me off.
Old 04-06-08, 11:59 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
wm lopez, you think George Clooney has ruined his career, we get it.
Old 04-06-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well said, sir. Well, said.

I also agree with Carcosa - he was one of my first movie idols, and always remained so. The same with many of his films.

R.I.P. Charlton Heston - you had the good fortune to lead a full life.
Old 04-06-08, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Damn. I'll have to watch The Omega Man now.
Old 04-06-08, 12:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 986 Likes on 823 Posts
didn't like his beliefs, but liked him as an actor. sad.
Old 04-06-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent Post. He was a great actor and a great man. He will be missed. RIP Mr. Heston.
Old 04-06-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I knew he didn't have much longer to go since he's been in seclusion for years, but he will be greatly missed. He was one of the all-time greats.

R.I.P.
Old 04-06-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 812 Likes on 317 Posts
Damn.

I think I'll watch "Touch of Evil" now.

Old 04-06-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R.I.P.

One of the greatest.
Old 04-06-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 246 Posts
Amen!
And what about the comments current Hollywood golden boy George Clooney made about Heston?
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/ente...45/detail.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.