DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   THE MIST (2007) - which version do you prefer, Color vs. B&W? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/528906-mist-2007-version-do-you-prefer-color-vs-b-w.html)

flixtime 04-05-08 04:21 PM

THE MIST (2007) - which version do you prefer, Color vs. B&W?

From what I gather, this poll could be a landslide, but let's give it this official test anyway.

Simple question, in regard to Director Frank Darabont's THE MIST (2007), which version do you think is best, the color version, or the one in black and white?

Not a close call for me at all...my vote goes to:

B&W (black and white)

islandclaws 04-05-08 05:03 PM

Even though color was how I, like most of us, originally saw the film I feel the black & white version lends the film a much more atmospheric setting. It also does a good job of covering up some of the low-budget CGI that was a slight distraction in the color version. I really could watch either version and be happy, but the black & white is definitely my preferred way to see this film from now on.

Geofferson 04-05-08 05:13 PM

b&w

cdoug57 04-05-08 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Even though color was how I, like most of us, originally saw the film I feel the black & white version lends the film a much more atmospheric setting. It also does a good job of covering up some of the low-budget CGI that was a slight distraction in the color version. I really could watch either version and be happy, but the black & white is definitely my preferred way to see this film from now on.

What he said.

Doug

Michael Corvin 04-05-08 07:49 PM

Haven't watched either yet, but will keep tabs on this thread to see who wins. :) I was leaning towards watching B&W first, personally.

OldBoy 04-05-08 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Haven't watched either yet, but will keep tabs on this thread to see who wins. :) I was leaning towards watching B&W first, personally.

What he said.

buckee1 04-05-08 08:09 PM

Guess, I'll have to watch the B&W version.

chris_sc77 04-05-08 10:00 PM

I think both versions have negatives and positives and while I greatly enjoy the film (in either version) I don't think one can like one version and not the other.
I almost don't want to vote in this cause I think the color version has many admirable qualities and don't want to detract praise for that version but overall I am probably gonna have to vote for the B+W version cause I think the weaker special effects (and they can be pretty weak at some times) look better in this version.
I am still glad I saw the color version first though but the B+W version did end up enhancing my appreciation of the film.

PopcornTreeCt 04-05-08 10:12 PM

There's a black & white version?

Rammsteinfan 04-05-08 10:25 PM

BW is so much better. Now i wish they would have released it that way originally.

DeanoBKN 04-05-08 11:51 PM

Having watched the film 3 times already, twice in color and once in B&W, I can safely say I perfer the B&W version better. As others said, it covers up a bit of the CGI which at times looked a tad too fake or out of place, and it just adds to the experience.

auto 04-06-08 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
There's a black & white version?

On the 2 disc DVD there is...

tylergfoster 04-06-08 02:45 AM

Both are fine, but if push came to shove, yeah, I'd choose black and white.

Panda Phil 04-06-08 03:25 AM

I think we have a winner...

riotinmyskull 04-06-08 05:02 AM

could the people that are voting for the color version please state why they prefer it?

Snowmaker 04-06-08 08:27 AM

Which is the best way to watch it for the first time?

Zodiac_Speaking 04-06-08 09:24 AM

B&W, bar none. I thought it enhanced the claustophobicness of the film and its CG. That version also reminded me of those old horror films, which I felt Darabont was playing to.

Giantrobo 04-06-08 12:28 PM

I didn't know there was 2 versions on the 2 disc set. I've yet to see this but even though it was spoiled for me in the Cloverfiled thread I would still like to see The Mist.

mndtrp 04-06-08 06:11 PM

Does the "Bonus Material" disc Netflix offers contain the B&W version?

clappj 04-06-08 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Does the "Bonus Material" disc Netflix offers contain the B&W version?

Yes, that's the 2nd disc which contains the B&W version.

Rival11 04-06-08 07:17 PM

Glad I caught this thread before my second viewing (I only rented it - obviously I will get the color version only) - I will def be watching it in b&w. Upon my first viewing.......I was wondering why the effects didn't look all that great - they didn't bother me or anything (and actually some of them were really well to be honest).

I plan on buying a blu-ray player soon - is this movie on blu-ray yet and if so does it include the b&w version?

PopcornTreeCt 04-06-08 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
I plan on buying a blu-ray player soon - is this movie on blu-ray yet and if so does it include the b&w version?

No, it's not on blu-ray but when it comes out I'm sure it will have both versions.

Carcosa 04-06-08 09:58 PM

I also saw it first in the theatre in color....but when push comes to shove, I prefer it in B/W. Same reasons as stated....atmosphere, the creatures play off better in B/W, etc.

Didn't like the ending much tho.

Brack 04-06-08 10:01 PM

I prefer the Pleasantville version.

TomOpus 04-06-08 10:04 PM

After watching the b/w version, I almost wished it had been set in the mid 60's.