Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Ebert Discussion & Appreciation (1942-2013)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roger Ebert Discussion & Appreciation (1942-2013)

Old 04-06-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 940 Likes on 663 Posts
Re: Roger Ebert Discussion & Appreciation [Update: Dead]

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Not even "ghastly dialogue"?
Ghastly? No. Light hearted and sometimes cornball-ish? Sure, but that's part of the charm.

Now if he had said that about the Prequel Trilogy I'd agree 100% with "ghastly dialog" as a descriptor.
Old 04-06-13, 01:29 PM

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,215 Posts
re: Roger Ebert Discussion & Appreciation (1942-2013)

His wife, Chaz, has issued a statement.

Wow:
"We were getting ready to go home today for hospice care, when he looked at us, smiled, and passed away. No struggle, no pain, just a quiet, dignified transition.
Old 04-06-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 913 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Here's a clip from ABCNews from 1983 with Siskel and Ebert debating and defending Return of the Jedi with the nimrod on the right. S/E pretty much win the day!

<iframe id="kaltura_player_1365183545" height="221" width="392" style="border: 0px solid #ffffff;" src="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/0_1ccs23e8/uiconf_id/3775332/st_cache/35778?referer=http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/critics-spar-over-star-wars-trilogy-on-1983-nightline-episode-18344732&autoPlay=false&addThis.playerSize=392x221&freeWheel.siteSectionId=nws_offsite&closedCaption Active=true&">Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.</iframe>
I find it hilarious they deemed a movie review important enough to have a segment this long on a major news program.
Old 04-06-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Must've been a slow news day
Old 04-06-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
As it has been said, watch his show to listen to people talk about movies and hear their opinion not make your opinion using theirs.
Exactly. That was the appeal. Listening to two smart, knowledgable people reviewing movies. The whole "thumbs" thing has been disparaged by elitists, but I see it as a useful adjunct to a movie review. In fact, I would've preferred them using a traditional star system.
He also wrote a column about language, where he prescribed the correct English usage in difficult cases.
Interesting, since he made a couple of grammatical mistakes in that Nightline piece. Anyway, Simon is hardly some unknown critic, and although I disagree with the pompous tenor of his argument, as an adult I can sort of sympathize with his position favouring serious films over popcorn flicks. He does come across as an awfully self-serious prig, though.
Old 04-06-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
It was my opinion. My opinion is that I will feel bad for him if a Malick film is his last review.
His last review is.......

Spoiler:
http://www.suntimes.com/19293543-761/roger-eberts-last-review-to-the-wonder.html
Old 04-06-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 681 Likes on 529 Posts

I'm glad that was his last review. As I am glad that his widow mentioned his passing was a peaceful one.
Old 04-06-13, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 507 Likes on 332 Posts

Am I the only one getting a horrible script error from that Return of the Jedi video? I was so glad when it finally fell off the page, only to have someone quote it and bring it back LOL
Old 04-06-13, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 681 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Am I the only one getting a horrible script error from that Return of the Jedi video? I was so glad when it finally fell off the page, only to have someone quote it and bring it back LOL
You're not alone.
Old 04-07-13, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I'm gonna chime in here and say that neither the passing of Siskel nor Ebert affects me in the least. I only watched their show growing up because my mom watched it, and she only watched it to find out what an upcoming movie was about. She didn't rely too much on their opinions. If it looked like a movie she would enjoy, she went to see it. If it didn't, she didn't. To be honest, she thought they were both a couple of opinionated blowhards. So, subsequently, I think I "inherited" that feeling toward critics of any kind. Who cares what someone else thinks? Why would you miss out on something just because someone who gets paid to give their opinion doesn't like it? Sure, it may be an "educated" opinion, but it's solely theirs, nonetheless.
A good critic does a whole lot more than just give an opinion. They help you come to a better understanding and appreciation of the work in question. Ebert did exactly that for many of us during our formative years as film lovers.

I'm not sure why this idea persists of critics as people who do nothing more than "get paid to give their opinion." Probably because there are so many bad "critics" in the world, and their numbers have increased exponentially thanks to the internet.
Old 04-07-13, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I never said he or any other critic did "nothing more" than get paid to give their opinion, but getting paid to give their opinion, albeit (in Ebert's case) a very educated and experienced one, is exactly what their profession is. I realize what the function of a critic is. I'm simply saying they're not for me. I'm sorry my feelings seem to be frustrating so many people.
Old 04-07-13, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coral
So you feel bad for him for watching a movie he enjoyed as his last film?

Do you also feel bad for someone when they win the lottery, enjoy their vacation or have amazing sex?
If their sex is boring, meandering, and without a point like Malick's movies are, then yes, I'd feel bad for them...but not as bad as having to watch a Malick movie as your last one, because you can always have more sex.
Old 04-07-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 913 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
If their sex is boring, meandering, and without a point like Malick's movies are, then yes, I'd feel bad for them...but not as bad as having to watch a Malick movie as your last one, because you can always have more sex.

You obviously don't get when to feel sorry for someone and when not to.
Old 04-07-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

John Simon specialized in intellectual snob appeal. He never liked any popular movies. He only liked the ones that Joe Sixpack avoided.

He also wrote a column about language, where he prescribed the correct English usage in difficult cases.
Well, John Simon was much more than that. He had high standards when it came to film reviewing and really challenged the most hyped up and over-praised of Hollywood films.

Even if he stated something one might disagree with, there's no doubt that his points were often valid and thoughtful. Fans should read his REVERSE ANGLE: A DECADE OF AMERICAN FILM which actually makes you appreciate the art of movies.
Old 04-07-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 507 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Well, John Simon was much more than that. He had high standards when it came to film reviewing and really challenged the most hyped up and over-praised of Hollywood films.

Even if he stated something one might disagree with, there's no doubt that his points were often valid and thoughtful. Fans should read his REVERSE ANGLE: A DECADE OF AMERICAN FILM which actually makes you appreciate the art of movies.
He's in trouble from the start going up against polished "TV personalities" like Siskel and Ebert. You notice how Siskel and Ebert radiate a positive energy, and speak in ethusiastic sound bites. Simon loses the debate with his dull manner of speaking and meandering sentences. He seems so old and opposed to fun. That awful moment when he starts fumbling with his earpiece makes him look like a senile old man who doesn't know how to operate his hearing aid.
Old 04-07-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
He's in trouble from the start going up against polished "TV personalities" like Siskel and Ebert. You notice how Siskel and Ebert radiate a positive energy, and speak in ethusiastic sound bites. Simon loses the debate with his dull manner of speaking and meandering sentences. He seems so old and opposed to fun. That awful moment when he starts fumbling with his earpiece makes him look like a senile old man who doesn't know how to operate his hearing aid.
True.
Old 04-08-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Old 04-08-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts

Just read that Wesboro Baptist Church will picket his funeral. They call him a **** enabler and he made a couple anti-WBC tweets.
Old 04-08-13, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A what enabler?
Old 04-08-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
A what enabler?
"Tact" is the only thing I can think of that's appropriate and fits four letters.
Old 04-08-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
A what enabler?
He was a four star enabler. He gave many movies four stars that didn't deserve them.
Old 04-08-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts

That's weird. I guess you can self-censor words you know will get forum-censored. I typed "f * g"... w/o the spaces.
Old 04-08-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 464 Likes on 323 Posts

He enabled people to smoke cigarettes?
Old 04-08-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Excellent piece on Ebert by David Carr in today's NY Times. He points out how Ebert was able to adapt to different media and formats to spread his writing and that's how he reached the position of fame and wealth that he did, a status that other film critics are just not able to achieve. One has to give Ebert credit for that.

Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/bu...=business&_r=0
Old 04-08-13, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my biggest literary heroes. I was shocked to say the least. He'll be very sorely missed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.