Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Ebert – Discussion & Appreciation (1942-2013)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roger Ebert – Discussion & Appreciation (1942-2013)

Old 04-05-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Roger Ebert – Discussion & Appreciation [Update: Dead]

Back before the days of video recorders, I would always race home to watch "Sneak Peeks" and its later spawns. I stayed with the show pretty much until the end and even enjoyed the last version "Ebert Presents: At the Movies." (But that show became increasingly difficult to find as the series ran.)

The most enjoyable shows for me were the year-end "Best" and "Worst" episodes.

Anyone remember the SCTV spoof they did on "At The Movies" with Dave Thomas playing Ebert and Joe Flaherty playing Siskel?
Old 04-05-13, 01:48 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
^ it has already been stated that he had more reviews submitted that had not yet been posted. To The Wonder is definitely one of them... there may be more... but not many.
Haven't seen it yet, but I'd be happy knowing a Malick review was his final one.
Old 04-05-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

11 Funniest Lines from Roger Ebert's Reviews of Bad Movies

I like this one :

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, 2009
"If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination."
Old 04-05-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Without this line Freddie Got Fingered review, I can't take that list seriously:

"“This movie doesn’t scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn’t the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn’t below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.”
Old 04-05-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Roger Ebert – Discussion & Appreciation (1942-2013)

I actually feel bad for him having to watch a Malick film last. I think he'd have been better off watching The Host.
Old 04-05-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 940 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Here's a clip from ABCNews from 1983 with Siskel and Ebert debating and defending Return of the Jedi with the nimrod on the right. S/E pretty much win the day!

<iframe id="kaltura_player_1365183545" height="221" width="392" style="border: 0px solid #ffffff;" src="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/0_1ccs23e8/uiconf_id/3775332/st_cache/35778?referer=http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/critics-spar-over-star-wars-trilogy-on-1983-nightline-episode-18344732&autoPlay=false&addThis.playerSize=392x221&freeWheel.siteSectionId=nws_offsite&closedCaption Active=true&">Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.</iframe>
Fascinating. I can understand people not liking the films, but I don't understand a single complaint this guy had.
Old 04-05-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I actually feel bad for him having to watch a Malick film last. I think he'd have been better off watching The Host.
Regardless of your own feelings on Malick, we know that Ebert loved him - so I wouldn't feel too bad for him.
Old 04-05-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 914 Likes on 639 Posts

Ebert puts Badlands and Days of Heaven in his "Great Movies" list, and puts The Tree of Life in his top 10 of all time. He also gives The Thin Red Line 3 stars and The New World 4 stars.

Even if he gives To The Wonder a thumbs down, it doesn't sound like he'd actually hate it outright.

Sounds more like YOUR opinion than Eberts.
Old 04-05-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

According to AICN he gave it 3 1/2 stars. Not sure when the review will come out though.
Old 04-06-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Regardless of your own feelings on Malick, we know that Ebert loved him - so I wouldn't feel too bad for him.
Old 04-06-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm gonna chime in here and say that neither the passing of Siskel nor Ebert affects me in the least. I only watched their show growing up because my mom watched it, and she only watched it to find out what an upcoming movie was about. She didn't rely too much on their opinions. If it looked like a movie she would enjoy, she went to see it. If it didn't, she didn't. To be honest, she thought they were both a couple of opinionated blowhards. So, subsequently, I think I "inherited" that feeling toward critics of any kind. Who cares what someone else thinks? Why would you miss out on something just because someone who gets paid to give their opinion doesn't like it? Sure, it may be an "educated" opinion, but it's solely theirs, nonetheless.
Old 04-06-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I'm gonna chime in here and say that neither the passing of Siskel nor Ebert affects me in the least. I only watched their show growing up because my mom watched it, and she only watched it to find out what an upcoming movie was about. She didn't rely too much on their opinions. If it looked like a movie she would enjoy, she went to see it. If it didn't, she didn't. To be honest, she thought they were both a couple of opinionated blowhards. So, subsequently, I think I "inherited" that feeling toward critics of any kind. Who cares what someone else thinks? Why would you miss out on something just because someone who gets paid to give their opinion doesn't like it? Sure, it may be an "educated" opinion, but it's solely theirs, nonetheless.
Well then, how do you know how to find a good movie? Most of us don't have time to see everything that comes out, to say nothing of what has come before. You certainly can't rely on the marketing. Friends and family members aren't much better, unless they happen to be film buffs and not just moviegoers.

Critics certainly aren't the last word on anything, and I didn't always agree with Ebert (his stance on video games as art was especially puzzling). But, he did introduce me to a lot of great films and I was interested in what he had to say about any film. Maybe I just trust someone who has seen more films than I ever will.
Old 04-06-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger Ebert was one of those names you could always trust to have a valid argument for or against a certain film. While I didn't always agree with him, I respected his opinion because he could do what so many others cannot, back it up.

Having read almost all of his books on film, I can say he helped shape my taste and certainly made me understand how to look at things with a critical eye. The man was nothing short of a genius. To think of how many films he reviewed and how people he inspired, it is mind boggling. The world lost a great voice and he will be missed.
Old 04-06-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't watch their shows to find movies to see. I watched to listen to them talk about movies. Like others have said their insights and views opened up my knowledge of movies. And they really liked movies and it showed.
Old 04-06-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well then, how do you know how to find a good movie? Most of us don't have time to see everything that comes out, to say nothing of what has come before. You certainly can't rely on the marketing. Friends and family members aren't much better, unless they happen to be film buffs and not just moviegoers.

Critics certainly aren't the last word on anything, and I didn't always agree with Ebert (his stance on video games as art was especially puzzling). But, he did introduce me to a lot of great films and I was interested in what he had to say about any film. Maybe I just trust someone who has seen more films than I ever will.
What do you mean, "how do you know how to find a good movie"? There are lots of ways to find out what movies are coming out, and what they're about. You should already know going in what kind of movie you like to see. If you go see it, and you didn't like it completely, or even hated it, then your support of it ends right there. You don't have to see it again, and you certainly don't have to buy it when it comes out on home media.

Whether or not you want to rely on friends and family pretty strictly depends on whether you value their opinion or not. But at least you KNOW them, and can base your opinion of their opinion on that. When it comes down to it, deciding on seeing a movie based on Ebert's opinion is depending on someone you don't even know. I used to watch the show, and while I'll admit he was extremely knowledgeable, his opinion is still his own, based on his own likes and dislikes. Those are not mine.
Old 04-06-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You understand that people can read his reviews just to see what he thinks right? I never listen to anyone when it comes to movies, I watch what I want, always. But I would always go to Ebert's reviews after seeing the movie in question to see what he had to say. Also you're not supposed to blindly trust a critic at all times anyway, Ebert has maintained that you can use his opinions as a gauge in relation to your own tastes.
Old 04-06-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand all that. I was just giving my own opinion.
Old 04-06-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah gotcha.
Old 04-06-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
What do you mean, "how do you know how to find a good movie"? There are lots of ways to find out what movies are coming out, and what they're about. You should already know going in what kind of movie you like to see. If you go see it, and you didn't like it completely, or even hated it, then your support of it ends right there. You don't have to see it again, and you certainly don't have to buy it when it comes out on home media.

Whether or not you want to rely on friends and family pretty strictly depends on whether you value their opinion or not. But at least you KNOW them, and can base your opinion of their opinion on that. When it comes down to it, deciding on seeing a movie based on Ebert's opinion is depending on someone you don't even know. I used to watch the show, and while I'll admit he was extremely knowledgeable, his opinion is still his own, based on his own likes and dislikes. Those are not mine.

Everyone's opinion is their own.

As it has been said, watch his show to listen to people talk about movies and hear their opinion not make your opinion using theirs.

I even watch Leonard Maltins dopey show just to listen to someone else talk about movies.

Other then Ebert's shows there really hasn't been any quality programming
On mvie with reviews or just simple discussion.
Old 04-06-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coral
Sounds more like YOUR opinion than Eberts.
It was my opinion. My opinion is that I will feel bad for him if a Malick film is his last review.
Old 04-06-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 914 Likes on 639 Posts

It was my opinion. My opinion is that I will feel bad for him if a Malick film is his last review.
So you feel bad for him for watching a movie he enjoyed as his last film?

Do you also feel bad for someone when they win the lottery, enjoy their vacation or have amazing sex?
Old 04-06-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,534 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Fascinating. I can understand people not liking the films, but I don't understand a single complaint this guy had.
Not even "ghastly dialogue"?

John Simon specialized in intellectual snob appeal. He never liked any popular movies. He only liked the ones that Joe Sixpack avoided.

He also wrote a column about language, where he prescribed the correct English usage in difficult cases.
Old 04-06-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Supposedly, he gave it three and a half stars so go feel bad about people like you who waste their feelings of bad.
Old 04-06-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Malick tends to be quite boring

Spoiler:

my opinion
Old 04-06-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 507 Likes on 332 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.