Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

EW'S 20 Worst Comic Book movies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

EW'S 20 Worst Comic Book movies

Old 04-03-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tanman, don't forget in "Batman Forever" Val Kilmer gave off an even bigger, goofier grin.

EW is like reading te tabloids. There writing isn't good and this lists are more often than not hapless thought out. I'd say they got it right 60%. I mean not every superhero film is going to be "Superman", "Batman Begins" or "X2".

Clooney does get picked on way too much for this, "B&R", he's as bad as Schumacher directed him with that script, seriously, a Bat-Visa? Ugh. Clooney's proven he's a solid actor.

Everyone's forgot about "Capt America"? I remember seeing this when I was really young and now it's disappeared. I would welcome seeing it again, but I bet Marvel's buried it, so I'm sure it'll stink bad.

I disagree with people saying where's the Rocketeer. That's a damn fine film. As with Judge Dredd, that's a fun movie, even with Schnider. There'll I'll admit it.

Thomas Jane's Punisher should've been good. It really isn't. It might be somewhat watchable, but I think it was the villains that made the film bad. Jane was good.
Old 04-03-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Wow. I really enjoy Daredevil, Punisher and Fantastic Four. I recall liking LXG when I saw it in theaters, but haven't seen it since. The rest of the list I pretty much agree with.
Me too, i liked all 3 of those movies as well.
Old 04-03-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I don't know, I thought The Shadow and The Phantom were both decent flicks.

quoted for truth.

I loved both of these movies as a kid.

I still to this day consider The punisher a guilty pleasure of mine. Sure the plot kinda sucks but its still entertaining.
Old 04-03-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Punisher was a cool revenge flick. I really dug it. Sure, it's not an awesome movie, but it was pretty damn fun.

Swamp Thing kicks ass. Anyone who says otherwise is stupid. I don't care how cheesy it gets or how bad Richard Jordan's acting is.
Old 04-03-08, 07:52 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like both Punishers, they each have their suckyness but also awesomeness!

And why is the Shadow up there??
Old 04-03-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts
That Batman series really hasn't aged well, although the fourth one was DOA. But Batman Returns is pretty horrid really, with the Penguin being raised by penguins, eating fish, strapping missiles on the back of penguins, and so forth. And I think Batman Forever is actually the worst of the lot. Batman and Robin is so cheesy and bad it can be enjoyed on that level, in my opinion, but Batman Forever sucks- Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones were both beyond awful.
Old 04-04-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyM
That Batman series really hasn't aged well, although the fourth one was DOA. But Batman Returns is pretty horrid really, with the Penguin being raised by penguins, eating fish, strapping missiles on the back of penguins, and so forth. And I think Batman Forever is actually the worst of the lot. Batman and Robin is so cheesy and bad it can be enjoyed on that level, in my opinion, but Batman Forever sucks- Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones were both beyond awful.
100%
Old 04-04-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyM

Yeah Tim Burton said he always thought The Penguin was boring so he "freaked him up". Thanks Tim.... I though Danny DeVito was good as Cobblepot but I wish he had played a more traditional Penguin because I think he would've been even better. I also thought Jim Carrey was a great Riddler. However, the suckiness of the film overshadowed his performance.
Old 04-04-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to strongly disagree with anyone that says that Ghost Rider is even watchable. This was one of the most disappointing movies that I've ever seen. Such a great character in the comics done a serious injustice on film. Cage's hairpiece is effective only in distracting one from his shitty perfomance, the effects are alright at times, and SciFi Channel grade at other times, Wes Bentley is the least intimidating villain ever (note to hollywood: let him stick to performances where he has about 3 words of dialog ala American Beauty because the more he has to say, the worse of an actor he becomes) and the Cage/Mendes "love" was less convincing than Affleck and Lopez in Gigli, not to mention the constantly laughable dialog...wow, I just hated this movie.

I didn't mind the Punisher (Jane version, not the Lundgren version) as much as most, but it seemed to me that it would've made a better flick if it were just a revenge tale because the Punisher name raised my expectations a little too high. The only Batman films that I like are the original Burton and Begins. I have a soft spot for Supes 3, but can't stand 4. I didn't think Daredevil was as bad as most either. Certainly better than X-Men 3 or either Fantastic Four.

Last edited by kurupt; 04-04-08 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-04-08, 10:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazam
Mystery Man was okay. Certainly doesn't deserve to be on that list.
Agreed. I just wish they had somehow thrown in a Flaming Carrot cameo.

Originally Posted by wm lopez
... TARZAN (1981 with Bo Derek) should be on there...
Not really a comic book movie, as the books came first.

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
That might be because The Rocketeer is actually a fun, decent movie.
Thirded.

Originally Posted by aintnosin
I think a shorter list would have been "Comic-Based Movies That Didn't Suck." Let's face it, 9 times out of 10, Hollywood screws it up.
Agreed, although maybe more like 4 out of 5 are awful. X3 and Spider-man 3 should be on the list, as much for failing the decent-up-to-that-point franchises as for really being as bad as the others listed.
Old 04-04-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As other have said, the Shadow, The Phantom, Fantastic Four (especially the slightly better than OK sequel) and various other movies have redeeming characteristics...
Old 04-04-08, 11:16 AM

Even if Mystery Men is uneven, to say the least, it is a great parody of the genre. Here are some of my favorite quotes(from IMDB) many involving the Sphinx, whose secret power is cliches!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132347/quotes

The Sphinx: You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums.

The Sphinx: He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions.

[Mr. Furious tries to balance a hammer on his head]
Mr. Furious: Why am I doing this, again?
The Sphinx: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.
Mr. Furious: And why am I wearing the watermelon on my feet?
The Sphinx: [looks at the watermelon on Mr. Furious' feet] I don't remember telling you to do that.

Mr. Furious: Okay, am I the only one who finds these sayings just a little bit formulaic? "If you want to push something down, you have to pull it up. If you want to go left, you have to go right." It's...
The Sphinx: Your temper is very quick, my friend. But until you learn to master your rage...
Mr. Furious: ...your rage will become your master? That's what you were going to say. Right? Right?
The Sphinx: Not necessarily.

Capt. Amazing: I knew you couldn't change.
Casanova Frankenstein: I knew you'd know that.
Capt. Amazing: Oh, I know that. AND I knew you'd know I'd know you knew.
Casanova Frankenstein: But I didn't. I only knew that you'd know that I knew. Did you know THAT?
Capt. Amazing: Of course.

The Blue Raja: All I'm saying is, when we split the cheque three ways the steak-eater picks the pocket of the salad-man.
Old 06-18-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Re: EW'S 20 Worst Comic Book movies

This list has been updated, it now rightfully includes The Spirit.
Old 06-18-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,057 Likes on 871 Posts

Agreed that I liked parts of The Shadow and FF, and that Elektra should have been on its own and ranked higher, probably at the top
Old 06-18-09, 04:10 PM

I thought I was gonna be the only one to mention The Shadow not belonging on that list. I'm glad it's appreciated.

I agreed with pretty much everything else on the list, although I didn't think Daredevil or The Punisher were THAT bad.

Last edited by James Lafleur; 06-18-09 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-18-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 415 Likes on 311 Posts

The Spirit is perfect on there. Might be the worst movie I have ever seen.
Old 06-18-09, 08:23 PM
Banned

The Spirit fits there perfectly. It is one of the worst movies ever. They also need to add the second Fantastic Four movie as well as Punisher War Zone and the 4th Crow film with Tara Reid.