Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

EW'S 20 Worst Comic Book movies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

EW'S 20 Worst Comic Book movies

Old 04-02-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They put the wrong version on The Punisher on there. The '04 version followed "Welcome Back, Frank" pretty closely and was very entertaining.

I don't understand the hatred. Too bad Thomas Jane won't be reprising the role in the sequel this year.
Old 04-02-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
That might be because The Rocketeer is actually a fun, decent movie.
Yep.
Old 04-02-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by adamblast
Surprised by a few of the choices that I consider great fun, including The Shadow and Barbarella.

Yeah i thought the Barbarella mention was odd. I'm 37 and I grew up knowing it as a fun "sci fi classic".

I always thought that the "nipples" thing was a cheap shot against Batman & Robin. I'm not a fan of any of the four Burton-inspired films, so I can't quite fathom the huge disparity in popularity, other than a hate-pile-on. To me the series is a natural progression, and all the faults of #4 are from faulty seeds well-planted in #1.

I think for many people, not all...but many... "Batman Begins" has really made it ok to hate the old franchise. What was kinda stupid but tolerable in the old Franchise suddenly became downright unforgivable after "Begins" came out.
Old 04-02-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love The Punisher, it's an homage to the 80s type of action movie that isn't made any more.

The Daredevil isn't THAT bad, especially the director's cut. Fantastic Four is crappy but way better than some of the stuff that didn't make the list.
Old 04-02-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
That might be because The Rocketeer is actually a fun, decent movie.
Not to mention that it had

Old 04-02-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Where's Spider-man 3?

And I can think of a lot worse than Swamp Thing and Barbarella. See above.
Old 04-02-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the list for those that don't want the inevitable spam invasion:

Ghost Rider
The Shadow
Barb Wire
Catwoman
Brenda Starr
The Phantom
Daredevil / Elektra
Tank Girl
Fantastic Four
Sheena
The Punisher (2004)
Supergirl
Barbarella
Howards the Duck
Steel
Swamp Thing
Batman and Robin
Leagur of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Superman IV
Judge Dredd

I agree with most, but I enjoy FF, Barbarella, and Superman IV personally. Would definitely add X-Men 3, Batman Forever, AVP to that list. Really I don't think any of the X-Men movies are too far off the list.
Old 04-02-08, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
I'm surprised The Rocketeer and Mystery Men weren't listed.

I liked The Eric Bana Hulk. It was a little slow and tedious though.
Mystery Men wasn't a comic book was it?
Old 04-02-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lastyear
Mystery Men wasn't a comic book was it?
It most certainly was. But I actually like that movie. It was a fairly accurate spoof of the superhero genre.
Old 04-02-08, 10:24 PM
Banned

You don't FLASH GORDEN (1980) or LONE RANGER (1981) and TARZAN (1981 with Bo Derek) should be on there? And HEAVY METAL 2 ALSO.
Old 04-02-08, 10:31 PM

I would take off Daredevil, flick isnt as bad as people make it out to be. I also Liked Fantastic Four too.
Old 04-02-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mystery Man was okay. Certainly doesn't deserve to be on that list.
Old 04-02-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts
I don't get why Judge Dredd gets so bashed so much. I love that movie. Stallone is good as Dredd, and Armand Assante gives a great performance, as does Max Von Sydow (doing the usual Von Sydow thing). The visuals are really good, and I love the concept.

OK, Rob Schnieder's character was annoying - but not nearly as much as most of the characters he plays. Judge Dredd would probably make the lower part of my 20 BEST Comic Book Movies list.

There were a few on that list that I disagreed with. Daredevil (directors cut is really good), Ghost Rider (ok, I'd give the movie a C-, but it's a guilty pleasure kind of thing), Fantastic Four (it's a fun movie - comic book movies are supposed to be fun), and...well, OK, the rest of the list belongs on a "Worst Comic Book Movies," list.
Old 04-03-08, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 991 Likes on 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I've said it before but I enjoyed Clooney as Bats. He seems to take the heat from the film, but he was only in about 15 minutes of it. It was everything else that was a mess.

You've smoked too much bat guano. Clooney was the WORST batman/bruce wayne. I don't really blame him so much as it was probably written that way but he was so bad. He was just Dr. Doug Ross from ER in a batsuit. All happy and giddy. The man actually sported a big goofy grin as Batman. Horrible horrible horrible. The worst part about this movie is they actually took three of my favorite villains and totally ruined them. I really want Bane and Freeze redeemed. I really want to see Patrick Stewart as Freeze as a more tortured villain like in the animated series.

But keep Clooney away from the batsuit.

As far as the nipples on the batsuit are concerned I think they just bookend the immense problems with that movie nicely. You only have to mention that and you understand their thought process on the whole movie.
Old 04-03-08, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Phantom does not deserve to be on this list.
Old 04-03-08, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Doughboy
It most certainly was. But I actually like that movie. It was a fairly accurate spoof of the superhero genre.

Yep. I liked that one too. I never read the comic but the movie was fun goof on Superheroes.
Old 04-03-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Hmm.

Ghost Rider - a lot of potential was wasted but it was watchable
The Shadow - although he's had comics over the years, I identify the Shadow as a pulp character, not a comic character. Either way, the movie wasn't so good.
Barb Wire - worth it for the swing scene alone (though maybe that is just on the uncut dvd? Who care, that scene alone may make it my favorite comic book movie)
Catwoman - horrible
Brenda Star - comic strip, not comic book. Regardless, I never saw it.
The Phantom - a guilty pleasure of mine.
Daredevil/Elektra - that's two movies and the uncut Daredevil isn't so bad. Elektra is.
Tank Girl - actually never saw it.
Fantastic Four - not a fan.
Sheena - Tanya Roberts + a waterfall, I'm there.
Punisher - better than the Dolph Lundgren version. Travolta was the worst part of this otherwise watchable flick.
Supergirl - who am I to argue with this choice.
Barbarella - of course it isn't a good movie, but Jane was hot, so who really cares?
Howard the Duck - ugh.
Steell - even worse than Howard the Duck
Swamp Thing - now here's a flick I'll defend. I don't even feel guilty for liking this one.
Swamp creature, mercenaries, Adrienne Barbeau, monsters, what's not to love?
Batman & Robin - some how I've gone 11 years without ever seeing this movie.
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - I've not seen the entire movie but I've seen enough that I feel confident is saying that it isn't so good.
Superman IV - not enough redeeming qualities to defend
Judge Dredd - should have been so much better. But I don't hate it.

I'll offer the following list of what I feel are bad comic book movies:
Superman Returns - ugh, I hated nearly everything about this movie, from the script to Spacey's channeling of Hackman, to the color scheme, to...well, you get my point
Faust: Love of the Damned - who could love this damned flick?
Fritz the Cat/Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat - this was not the Fritz I read
Josie & the Pussycats - okay, so I didn't really see the film, but the scenes I saw on cable were enough to make me change the channel
Man-Thing - way worse than Swamp Thing!
X-Men 3 - what a way to take a good property into the tank
Old 04-03-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce07
Alicia Silverstone as batgirl and Bane.
that's quite a dual role!
Old 04-03-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
You've smoked too much bat guano. Clooney was the WORST batman/bruce wayne. I don't really blame him so much as it was probably written that way but he was so bad. He was just Dr. Doug Ross from ER in a batsuit. All happy and giddy. The man actually sported a big goofy grin as Batman.
That title would belong to Val "I'm going to do my best Keaton doing Batman impression." Clooney fit the tone of the movie. Like I said, when viewed in the vein of the old TV show it works. With all the other shit that was wrong with that movie Clooney would be at the very bottom of that list. I'm not arguing B&R doesn't belong on this list, just that the Clooney hate is unjustified.

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I don't get why Judge Dredd gets so bashed so much. I love that movie. Stallone is good as Dredd, and Armand Assante gives a great performance, as does Max Von Sydow (doing the usual Von Sydow thing). The visuals are really good, and I love the concept.
I saw it once, at the theater, and enjoyed it. Not spectacular but not the shitfest everyone claims it is.

I agree that X3 needs to be on the list and personally I thought Hellboy was garbage.
Old 04-03-08, 10:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I agree that X3 needs to be on the list and personally I thought Hellboy was garbage.
funny I thought X3 was a clusterfuck of a film, Hellboy didn't really impress me that much either, while not complete garbage IMO, I had high hopes for it.
Old 04-03-08, 11:30 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by tanman
You've smoked too much bat guano. Clooney was the WORST batman/bruce wayne. I don't really blame him so much as it was probably written that way but he was so bad. He was just Dr. Doug Ross from ER in a batsuit. All happy and giddy. The man actually sported a big goofy grin as Batman. Horrible horrible horrible. The worst part about this movie is they actually took three of my favorite villains and totally ruined them. I really want Bane and Freeze redeemed. I really want to see Patrick Stewart as Freeze as a more tortured villain like in the animated series.

But keep Clooney away from the batsuit.

As far as the nipples on the batsuit are concerned I think they just bookend the immense problems with that movie nicely. You only have to mention that and you understand their thought process on the whole movie.
I felt the same way for quite a long time. But when the DVD came out and I saw it again...I took it for what it was, a decent popcorn flick. I understand Batman fans (I am one) and the serious tone of Begins is a welcome change, but that doesn't mean that I don't like cheese every now and then.

I do feel the movie gets bashed wayyyy more then it should, but that is your right to do so.
Old 04-03-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
I don't think Supergirl deserves a spot on that list. It's not THAT bad of a film. And I guess I'll remain the only human on the planet (well, other than Ben Affleck) who thought Daredevil was great fun.

In place of those two, I would put in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II & III.
Old 04-03-08, 02:26 PM

It's so easy to pick on Batman & Robin and Catwoman. Both stand on the top of the list as the worst of the worst. I'd add X3 to that list too. When I saw it in theaters I was like "Thats it? Thats the way it's going to end?". I thought that they had a story that could have been great in the right hands, but in the hands that it was in, didn't get played to it's full polental. The same could be said about Hulk. I still think that the film doesn't work as a whole, and someone else could have done better with it. I will be interesting seeing how the new film works out. I loved Tank Girl in high school. I watched it again about a year ago and told my self what was I thinking. But I still can't see why Daredevil is still getting picked on. I think had the film been released as the directors cut thats out on DVD into theaters the film wouldn't get the rap that it gets. And I still don't see all the hate for The Punisher.
Old 04-03-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think a shorter list would have been "Comic-Based Movies That Didn't Suck." Let's face it, 9 times out of 10, Hollywood screws it up.
Old 04-03-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Wow. I really enjoy Daredevil, Punisher and Fantastic Four. I recall liking LXG when I saw it in theaters, but haven't seen it since. The rest of the list I pretty much agree with.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.