Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which current actors are coasting off the success of one movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which current actors are coasting off the success of one movie?

Old 03-28-08, 05:16 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,468
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sundog
Malcolm McDowell

Though I'd hardly say he's been coasting for 37 years.

But has he ever surpassed, or equaled, his performance in Clockwork Orange?
Someone hasn't seen If... or O Lucky Man.
Old 03-28-08, 05:17 PM
  #27  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Chris Tucker. Aside from Friday, he's been coasting on the success of the Rush Hour films for over a decade without doing a single thing else!
I think he said in an interview when asked about this he said he really didn't have much interest in doing movies since he's made like 50 million off the Rush Hour movies. I wouldn't work either.
Old 03-28-08, 07:48 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by sundog
Malcolm McDowell

Though I'd hardly say he's been coasting for 37 years.

But has he ever surpassed, or equaled, his performance in Clockwork Orange?
Well, I think his performance in O Lucky Man! was pretty damn close!

(Of that was made right after ACO, and he's never equaled either one since, so....... maybe he belongs here)
Old 03-28-08, 08:04 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,716
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon Heder.

End of thread.
Old 03-28-08, 08:11 PM
  #30  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bellefontaine, Ohio
Posts: 5,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vin Diesel-The fast and The furious
jamie Foxx- Ray/collateral
Haley Joel Osment- The Sixth Sense (although this is debatable due to A.I. as well)
Old 03-28-08, 11:53 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Perkinsun Dzees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 4,273
Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts
Nic Cage - coasting off Valley Girl

George Clooney - coasting off Oceans 11

Hilary Swank - coasting off Million Dollar Baby

Eddie Murphy - coasting off 48 Hours
Old 03-28-08, 11:58 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Joe Molotov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,507
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You seem quick to write off a lot of actresses and put Salma Hayek up on a pedestal, but what has she done? I could just as easily argue that she's still coasting off her role in Desperado.
Old 03-29-08, 12:12 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Nic Cage - coasting off Valley Girl
If anything he would be coasting off his oscar winning performance in
Leaving Las Vegas.
Old 03-29-08, 12:17 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Finisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,809
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
holy crap..

i just figured out Michelle Monaghan is that insanely beautiful girl from 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang'...

yeah she's terrific...
Saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for the first time the other night and she blew me away. Gorgeous and talented, she is. And such an underrated movie.

As for the thread, Freddie Prinze Jr. comes to mind.
Old 03-29-08, 12:20 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 17,249
Received 868 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Jon Heder.

End of thread.
Exactly what I was going to post.

He was perfect for Napoleon Dynamite. Outside of that, it's amazing he's still getting roles because he's unbelievably terrible doing anything else.
Old 03-29-08, 12:26 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Nic Cage - coasting off Valley Girl

George Clooney - coasting off Oceans 11

Hilary Swank - coasting off Million Dollar Baby

Eddie Murphy - coasting off 48 Hours
Disagree with all of those. Along with Leaving Las Vegas for Nick Cage mentioned previously, the guy has been in highly successful and popular movies like the action trio of The Rock, Con Air, and Face/Off, not to mention the recent National Treasure Movies.

Clooney's actually put out some great serious work with Syriana and Good Night and Good Luck.

As for Murphy, his "kiddie" movies recently have attracted a far different audience then his early days, so I don't really think he's coasting off 48 hours or even Beverly Hills Cop.
Old 03-29-08, 12:29 AM
  #37  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by beesonosu
I'm confused.

Is "coasting" when a talented actor begins to tune out and play the same "role" over and over for the paycheck?

Is "coasting" when an untalented actor manages to find success and proceeds to exploit that?

A combination of both?

I would not consider "coasting" when a talented actor works for a very long time, in many different roles, although ultimately his legacy for most will be remembered in one role. For example, McDowell, Perkins, in my opinion Liotta...Travolta (although will Travolta really be remembered for just Pulp Fiction)?

I also wouldn't assume an actor is "coasting" just because they have "nothing substantial of note" lately. (Cuba G Jr.)
My assumption was that coasting was someone who became famous for a particular role and has pretty much continued to get roles based off that one hit while adding nothing substantial since then.

In that case, not sure if i would count Travolta since he was big before Pulp. Cuba would count since he's seemingly fallen off the map after his Oscar and done crap like Boat Trip.
Old 03-29-08, 12:52 AM
  #38  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,008
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I agree with a lot on the list, though I don't know if you're "coasting" if you're in consistently solid hit movies, i.e. Eddie Murphy, Nicolas Cage, John Travolta, Sandra Bullock, etc.

I'll add a couple:

Sarah Michelle Gellar - coasting off "Buffy," and was damn lucky to be in the awful-but-successful "The Grudge." She's a good actress, and I'm fan, but she's not in the best of movies.
Freddie Prinze Jr. - coasting of his marriage


I think I'm in the minority in that I haven't been blown away by Michelle Monaghan. I'm not sure what it is, she's attractive I suppose, but she gets these strange facial expressions in just about every movie I've seen her in. Maybe it's just the type of character she plays, but she always has this deer in the headlights look about her in just about every movie, and it bugs me. I usually find weird facial expressions on chicks to be attractive, but not on her (I know you guys really care what I find attractive, lol).





Old 03-29-08, 01:16 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Orlando Bloom & Keira Knightly - Basically, these 2 can't even star in a film that takes place in modern times.

I think Mira Sorvino is a good choice. She's not "coasting" but anytime she's in something it's always advertised as "Academy Award Winner Mira Sorvino"
Old 03-29-08, 01:25 AM
  #40  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George Clooney is a very good actor and has a movie star gift, but his politics don't help his box-office. He could have been a superstar had he not made bad comments about Charlton Heston and gone against Bill O'Reilly's reporting of the 9/11 victims not getting their telethon money.
Old 03-29-08, 01:32 AM
  #41  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,008
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
George Clooney is a very good actor and has a movie star gift, but his politics don't help his box-office. He could have been a superstar had he not made bad comments about Charlton Heston and gone against Bill O'Reilly's reporting of the 9/11 victims not getting their telethon money.
OR it might have to do with the fact that the guy doesn't want to be a superstar/all-my-movies-have-to-gross-$100m+ guy.
Old 03-29-08, 01:34 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,262
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Disagree with all of those. Along with Leaving Las Vegas for Nick Cage mentioned previously, the guy has been in highly successful and popular movies like the action trio of The Rock, Con Air, and Face/Off, not to mention the recent National Treasure Movies.

Clooney's actually put out some great serious work with Syriana and Good Night and Good Luck.

As for Murphy, his "kiddie" movies recently have attracted a far different audience then his early days, so I don't really think he's coasting off 48 hours or even Beverly Hills Cop.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic considering some of the replies in this thread.
Old 03-29-08, 01:35 AM
  #43  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 23,701
Received 729 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
9. John Travolta - still coasting off Pulp Fiction


I think I heard he did have a small career before Pulp Fiction as well
Old 03-29-08, 01:59 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,290
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe Molotov, I say Salma Hayek, because she doesn't work enough. I wish she did 5 movies a year so that maybe someone can get sick of her. She can act - see her in Frida, Lonely Hearts. She's been around since early 90s, but she's actually only really had few starring roles. She's like a hot version of Terrance Malick. Most of her movies are cameos. I'm afraid she might do even less since she can now live off the wealth of the Ugly Betty success, in which she'll become a hot version of James Cameron. Here are her few starring roles in the movies that people have actually seen her in and has a lot of screen time:

1995 - Desperado
1997 - Fools Rush In
2002 - Frida
2004 - After the Sunset
2006 - Bandidas
2006 - Lonely Hearts

She's done other stuff obviously, but those movies are either cameos or direct-to-video type films.


How can anyone get sick of that?

milf



I forgot to add:

Julia Roberts - still coasting off Pretty Woman. This Devil's Advocate demon woman clown should just retire.

Penelope Cruz - she's coasting off her Almadovar flicks, but i'm not crazy about her acting or her looks. She looks and sounds like a duck.

Last edited by toddly6666; 03-29-08 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-29-08, 03:19 AM
  #45  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay Mohr is still coasting off Jerry Maguire too.

Also can someone remind me how Drew Barrmore is famous besides being from a famous family? Her movies are horrible. Is she still coasting off Scream?

Luke Wilson is still coasting off Old School.
Old 03-29-08, 10:19 AM
  #46  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bellefontaine, Ohio
Posts: 5,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
George Clooney is a very good actor and has a movie star gift, but his politics don't help his box-office. He could have been a superstar had he not made bad comments about Charlton Heston and gone against Bill O'Reilly's reporting of the 9/11 victims not getting their telethon money.
I completely disagree. He is a superstar. I think his politics help his films.
Syriana, Michael Clayton and Good Night and Good Luck were all tremendously successful if you look at the budgets and put them against the domestic grosses along with the surprising rental grosses and DVD sales for these titles. All 3 of these films would not have been as successful if an actor other than Clooney starred.
Syriana and Michael Clayton are extremely difficult films for mainstream audiences (I myself disliked these 2 films to a great extent). They are films that dont give you much information and unfulfilling to most audiences (myself included) and I was surprised as hell that these both made about $50 in theaters alone. Also The rental grosses alone are about 40-50 million for these and thats not considering sales.
Clooney can open a movie and is one of the few sure things in Hollywood I would say.
Old 03-29-08, 11:15 AM
  #47  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 65
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Steve Carrell - The 40 year Old Virgin
He's in the successful U.S. remake of The Office, and was in Little Miss Sunshine, which was a box office success and got a Best Picture Oscar nomination.

Neither of those two roles are/were similar to his role in the 40-Year-Old Virgin.

I'd hardly call that "coasting".
Old 03-29-08, 11:34 AM
  #48  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,008
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
They are films that dont give you much information and unfulfilling to most audiences (myself included) and I was surprised as hell that these both made about $50 in theaters alone.
What do you mean by "don't give you much information?" Did you want a history lesson or something just because of the subject matter?
Old 03-29-08, 11:35 AM
  #49  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 10,008
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jchamoun
He's in the successful U.S. remake of The Office, and was in Little Miss Sunshine, which was a box office success and got a Best Picture Oscar nomination.

Neither of those two roles are/were similar to his role in the 40-Year-Old Virgin.

I'd hardly call that "coasting".
and Dan in Real Life was a sleeper hit.
Old 03-29-08, 02:01 PM
  #50  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I completely disagree. He is a superstar. I think his politics help his films.
Syriana, Michael Clayton and Good Night and Good Luck were all tremendously successful if you look at the budgets and put them against the domestic grosses along with the surprising rental grosses and DVD sales for these titles. All 3 of these films would not have been as successful if an actor other than Clooney starred.
Syriana and Michael Clayton are extremely difficult films for mainstream audiences (I myself disliked these 2 films to a great extent). They are films that dont give you much information and unfulfilling to most audiences (myself included) and I was surprised as hell that these both made about $50 in theaters alone. Also The rental grosses alone are about 40-50 million for these and thats not considering sales.
Clooney can open a movie and is one of the few sure things in Hollywood I would say.
If you feel this strong about Clooney I wonder if you have a life size gold statue of Will Smith by your t.v. since he's the true star who can open a movie.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.