Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just seen Videodrome for the first time! WTF?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just seen Videodrome for the first time! WTF?

Old 05-20-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Just seen Videodrome for the first time! WTF?

Originally Posted by Giles
why, oh why??
If they haven't made any progress on it in six years, I would assume the project is stalled.
Old 05-21-14, 07:14 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I could watch Cronenberg movies on an endless loop.
Old 06-23-14, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UFHey3utk0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great film, amazing trailer!
Old 06-23-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I don't know if you can ever really "get" Videodrome, as in actually understand every single thing that happens, but it does make more sense on repeated viewings. One of the things that I didn't really fully grasp on my first viewing, but that comes through on repeated viewings is that Videodrome is basically a Sci-Fi take on 60 & 70's paranoid thrillers, like The Parallax View or The Manchurian Candidate. It's so surreal though, that it's easy to get lost by some of the more bizarre imagery. I haven't seen it in a while though, so I don't really remember what my take on the ending was. I remember basically what happens, but I'd need to see it in context again.
Yeah, like some Lynch films, I have a vague and fuzzy understanding of the point/message/idea behind the film as a whole, but if I try to focus too hard and figure out this or that particular scene, it throws my whole perception off - kind of like those 3D paintings that were really popular in the 90's that you have to 'relax your eyes' to see. It really is a great film, though. Possibly my favorite Cronenberg (but then there's The Brood and Dead Ringers...and also eXistenZ is really underrated...)

Also, Debbie Harry has never looked better.