DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Tyler Perry (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/527878-tyler-perry.html)

Ronnie Dobbs 03-21-08 07:41 PM

Tyler Perry

Well I really haven't seen any of his movies but I must admit the man is marketing genius. Which makes me wonder why people dislike him so much he's an underdog considering most of the recycled garbage hollywood puts out. American remakes of Japanese horror movies, buddy action comedies, and unfunny comedies (21 Dresses, Fool's Gold). His movies might not be the greatest movies ever but they're consistent in mediocrity. Considering he has no ties to hollywood really and came out of nowhere good for him.

Let the bashing begin.

EdTheRipper 03-21-08 07:43 PM

My wife loves his movies. Personally, I can't be bothered to watch them as the subject matter really doesn't appeal to me.

Mr. Salty 03-21-08 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Which makes me wonder why people dislike him so much

His movies might not be the greatest movies ever but they're consistent in mediocrity.

You're wondering why people aren't championing a consistently mediocre filmmaker? Really?

The Cow 03-21-08 07:49 PM

Sad news. Hopefully things will get better for him.

Rockmjd23 03-21-08 07:54 PM

Relationship movies don't interest me, but I give him credit for creating something on his own that people like and not being part of pretentious Hollywood.

islandclaws 03-21-08 08:06 PM

I'm still waiting for Tyler Perry stars in a Tyler Perry production of Tyler Perry's Tyler Perry.

Brack 03-21-08 10:36 PM

I caught "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" a while back on one of the premium channels, it was pretty decent.

The Bus 03-21-08 11:05 PM

Fool's Gold was funny.

Giantrobo 03-22-08 04:43 AM

I don't get the hate either. He has his market, Black Women being the core, and most of them enjoy his movies. His movies often have a message the works for them and that's all that matters.

I've never seen any of films but I don't hate him.

kurupt 03-22-08 07:19 AM

I've seen one or two of his plays and they are decent, but I can't stand the movies. They are poorly written, terribly directed, woodenly acted (even typically good actors have problems in his films) and are emotionally and thematically all over the place. In one scene we have the typical man-dressed-as-woman slapsticky fart humor, cut to a severely overacted scene in which a daughter is screaming at her mom for selling her into prostitution as a child, cut back to man-dressed-as-woman "humorously" yelling at a family member for something or other.

However, he has tapped into something that a lot of filmmakers have kind or forsaken - the love and support of a strong family unit. A lot of filmmakers, to critical success, have been exploring dysfunction in families lately and Perry has gone against that and I think audiences (of all races, but especially black) can relate to and be comforted by the "strong family" theme.

The bottom line is that for years film studios have basically either ignored or thumbed their noses at black moviegoers and now that there are movies coming out with the black audience in mind, they will make loads of money, regardless of mediocre quality.

JohnSlider 03-22-08 08:10 AM

I don't hate him either, but I will also never see any of his movies.

Trevor 03-22-08 09:18 AM

I walked into Why I Got Married blind (was late for the movie i bought the ticket for, and refuse to walk into a film late).

When I realized it was a TP film, I expected to not enjoy it, as all the clips and trailers I've seen of him and his films looked quite mediocre.

I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't great, but slightly above average.

I'll probably never pay for a TP movie or DVD, but Imay rent or watch them on cable.

GoldenJCJ 03-22-08 03:26 PM

Can't say I hate him but I dislike him solely because I can't go five minutes without hearing or seeing "Tyler Perry's _______" on tv, in the store, online, etc. I mean, I guess it's not totally his fault but shit, how the hell much of this guy can I take!

I've never been able to take him seriously because my first exposure to him was seeing him dressed up as an old lady leading me to believe he was starring in Big Momma's House 3

PopcornTreeCt 03-22-08 05:43 PM

Black people deserve better than Tyler Perry.

Supermallet 03-22-08 05:57 PM

Well I really haven't seen any of his movies but I must admit the man is marketing genius. Which makes me wonder why people dislike him so much he's an underdog considering most of the recycled garbage hollywood puts out. American remakes of Japanese horror movies, buddy action comedies, and unfunny comedies (21 Dresses, Fool's Gold). His movies might not be the greatest movies ever but they're consistent in mediocrity. Considering he has no ties to hollywood really and came out of nowhere good for him.

Let the bashing begin.

Honestly, I'd rather watch Fool's Gold 1,000 times than see any Tyler Perry movie. Hollywood crap may be formulaic, but Tyler Perry is a truly abominable filmmaker. I wouldn't mind the stories, if they weren't so heavy handed, poorly written, terribly acted, and shoddily directed. I'd honestly rather watch every Uwe Boll movie twenty times than see anything by Tyler Perry ever again. The man is a hack and he should be stopped.

Ronnie Dobbs 03-22-08 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The man is a hack and he should be stopped.

Uwe Boll or Tyler Perry? You stop Tyler Perry all by yourself.

Brack 03-22-08 06:08 PM

well if Daniel doesn't like him, then he must be worth something.

dcprules 03-22-08 07:16 PM

While I haven't seen really anything he does (I imagine the first thing I'll actually see him in will be in Star Trek), I have to say the guy's resume is just staggering.

He writes, procduces, stars, directs at least a movie (lately been turning into two) a year. Additionally, he does a lot of work on the House of Payne TV Show which started in summer of 06 and has now made almost 80 episodes (acording to tv.com). Add in the plays and other writing work Perry does, and it really is incredible to see the amount of work this guy does. While I haven't seen his material as it doesn't really appeal to me, I gotta applaud him for how hard he obviously works.

james2025a 03-24-08 12:08 PM

I can tell you exactly why people hate him......its because its always "Tyler Perry's......(Insert shitty movie or TV show title here). The guy must have such an ego to have his name plastered everywhere like that. Sure some people are gonna say that its all marketing...but i don't see "Steven Spielberg presents Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." Sure that a name unto itself.....but my point being that there are a hell of a lot more important people in Hollywood who do not put there name plastered over everything they do as a marketing ploy.

The guy is talentless. Great just what we need...another black guy getting dressed up in drag. Way to go Eddie Murphy/ Martin Lawrence part Deux. I have seen a hell of a lot of parts of his movies but have never been able to sit through one. I just find them boring and unfunny. I think at the end of the day they should get this guy and Uwe Boll in a ring with Kimbo and Tank Abbot. The sooner these two guys get the hell out of show business the better.

raven56706 03-24-08 12:26 PM

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJoleJnSHeg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJoleJnSHeg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Mr. Cinema 03-24-08 12:46 PM

He's not funny. At all. He's the black version of Dane Cook.

Dead 03-24-08 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
well if Daniel doesn't like him, then he must be worth something.

I'd strongly suggest that you drop the comments directed toward other members.

Brack 03-24-08 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dead
I'd strongly suggest that you drop the comments directed toward other members.

fine, but could he get rid of his obnoxious signature? I might consider him a member otherwise. or better yet, I'd like the option of ignoring the guy. it doesn't seem fair that he can ignore me but I can't him. *Edit* I personally can't stand the guy (it's okay to say someone should be stopped? oookay.)

raven56706 03-24-08 02:07 PM

its official "the man in the movie is tyler perry"

Ronnie Dobbs 03-24-08 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a
I can tell you exactly why people hate him......its because its always "Tyler Perry's......(Insert shitty movie or TV show title here). The guy must have such an ego to have his name plastered everywhere like that. Sure some people are gonna say that its all marketing...but i don't see "Steven Spielberg presents Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." Sure that a name unto itself.....but my point being that there are a hell of a lot more important people in Hollywood who do not put there name plastered over everything they do as a marketing ploy.

The guy is talentless. Great just what we need...another black guy getting dressed up in drag. Way to go Eddie Murphy/ Martin Lawrence part Deux. I have seen a hell of a lot of parts of his movies but have never been able to sit through one. I just find them boring and unfunny. I think at the end of the day they should get this guy and Uwe Boll in a ring with Kimbo and Tank Abbot. The sooner these two guys get the hell out of show business the better.

When it comes to Hollywood though it really doesn't matter how much talent someone has irs how much money they can make for the studio. And Tyler Perry makes a lot more money for the studio he works for than Uwe Boll. Ego or no ego the box office reciepts speak for themselves. I mean honestly look at all the supposed big name stars who make medicore box office movies. At least Tyler Perry is consistent.